Honda’s naked 599 gets upside-down forks, new instruments and a small wind cowl for 2006, along with some other minor updates described below. Here are Honda’s stated features and specifications for the 2006 599.
2006 Honda 599- Features
New for 2006
- New 41mm inverted HMAS fork with a new triple clamp and steering stem for superior handling and stability.
- Fully integrated lightweight instrumentation includes asymmetrical analog-style tachometer, LCD speedometer, six-segment fuel gauge, a/b tripmeters with countdown function and clock. A separate LCD built into the tachometer displays engine coolant temperature.
- New two-piece mini cowl surrounds instrumentation and features a tinted flyscreen for an aggressive look.
- Newly designed front fender improves styling.
- Dual texture seat has low-slip material and adds to rider and passenger comfort.
- Gold finish on the front and rear brake calipers plus gold anodized front disc carrier add distinctive look.
- New silver colored wheels.
- New Metallic Black color.
- Powerful, aggressively tuned 599cc inline four-cylinder engine features dual ignition maps for smooth, strong performance.
- A feathery, 404-pound dry weight makes the 599 the lightest bike in its class.
- The comfortable, upright seating position is ideal for commuting, sport riding and long trips.
- Flat-slide CV carburetors for precise engine performance and superb throttle response at all engine speeds.
- Stylish four-into-two-into-one exhaust system tucks in tightly and exits high on the right side.
- Lightweight mono-backbone steel frame provides excellent rigidity while drawing attention to the impressive exterior design of the engine.
- 41mm inverted front fork, single-shock rear suspension and lightweight cast aluminum three-spoke wheels contribute to exceptional handling.
- Brilliant dual-bulb headlight offers superior illumination and longer life.
- Compact 599cc DOHC liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine is derived from the championship-winning CBR(R)600F3 powerplant.
- Intake ports tuned for smooth and responsive power characteristics.
- Sixteen-valve cylinder head with a 12.0:1 compression ratio promotes efficient combustion and high horsepower production.
- Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system is compact, ensures high-rpm durability and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
- 34mm flat-slide CV carburetors add extra punch at low- to mid-range rpm for superb real-world street use.
- Liquid-cooled oil cooler and a lightweight aluminum radiator keep engine temperatures in check for consistent performance and long engine life.
- Spring-loaded scissors-type primary gear and a rubber-mounted, floating clutch-cover help reduce noise.
- Weight-saving features include a compact, lightweight one-piece alternator.
- Unique stainless steel four-into-two-into-one exhaust system features an aggressively angled design for enhanced engine sound and overall performance.
- High-capacity, 340-watt AC generator.
- Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
- Smooth-shifting six-speed transmission with gear ratios carefully matched to the engine’s powerband.
- Durable #525 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
- Massive square-tube mono-backbone steel frame utilizes the engine as a stressed frame member, providing an optimal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for superb handling.
- A single box-section downtube connects to a unique front engine-mount that incorporates a cross-member to link the frame to the engine’s solid front mounts.
- Lightweight aluminum swingarm features a large one-piece extruded pivot block and extruded triple-box-section spars.
- 41mm inverted front fork with 4.7 inches of travel offers unparalleled rigidity for precise action and excellent handling on a variety of road surfaces.
- Lightweight aluminum upper triple-clamp adds rigidity for superb steering control.
- Single-shock rear suspension features a high-quality damper with seven-position-adjustable spring preload and 5.0 inches of plush wheel travel for excellent suspension control in all riding conditions.
- Braking system features two huge, 296mm floating front discs with twin-piston calipers and sintered metal pads, along with a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper and sintered metal pads for exceptional stopping power.
- Aluminum-alloy super-light, hollow three-spoke wheels with 3.5 x 17-inch front and 5.5 x 17-inch rear dimensions.
- Wide, durable dual texture vinyl-covered seat with thick foam padding provides plush comfort for commuting and two-up day trips.
- A stylish hugger-type rear fender closely follows the curve of the rear tire.
- Instrumentation includes white-face analog speedometer; tachometer and coolant water temperature; digital odometer/tripmeter; indicator lights for neutral, oil pressure, low fuel, high beam; and digital clock.
- 4.5-gallon fuel tank is hinged for servicing ease.
- Aviation-style fuel cap.
- Handlebar-mounted manual choke provides smooth idling speed for cold engine starts.
- Brilliant dual-bulb headlight features a polycarbonate lens in front of a die-cast aluminum reflector body. Two single-filament 55w H11 bulbs provide 60 percent better illumination, as well as much longer average life than conventional bulbs.
- Maintenance-free battery is lightweight with sufficient starting capacity for all riding seasons.
- Rugged plastic chip guards on top of the fork sliders protect the front suspension from flying debris.
- Aluminum passenger grabrail.
- Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Transferable one-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership for an individual in the Honda Rider’s Club of America(TM) (HRCA(R)). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year of Honda Red Rider(TM) magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com) and access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
2006 Honda 599 – Specifications
|Engine Type||599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder|
|Bore and Stroke||65mm x 45.2mm|
|Valve Train||DOHC; four valves per cylinder|
|Carburetion||Four 34mm slanted flat-slide CV|
|Ignition||Computer-controlled digital with electronic advance|
|Final Drive||#525 O-ring-sealed chain|
41mm inverted fork; 4.7 inches travel
Single shock with seven-position spring preload adjustability; 5.0 inches
Dual full-floating 296mm discs with twin-piston calipers
|Trail||96mm (3.8 inches)|
|Seat Height||31.1 inches|
|Dry Weight||404 pounds|
|Fuel Capacity||4.5 gallons|
|Meets current CARB and EPA standards.|
|California version differs slightly due to emissions