MD First Look: 2012 (?) Triumph Street Triple and Street Triple R

Do you like round or cat-eye headlamps? You can debate it amongst yourselves, but the issue is settled in Hinkley—the Triumph Street Triple will now get the cat-eyed headlamps you first saw on the 2011 Speed Triple along with some other changes.

There’s nothing new in the engine or chassis—with the quick-revving and torquey 675cc Triple making over 90 horsepower at the wheel and the whole bike weighing in at around 420 pounds gassed up it hardly needs it. The new lighting units double as brackets for new instruments, which add a lap timer and programmable shift light. Also, the standard Street Triple gets the natty aluminum bar from the Street Triple R. And what would a Bold New Graphics update be without some actual Bold New Graphics? The Stripples also get new paint colors, including a groovy “Imperial Purple” and a black-and-gold paint scheme for the “R” version. The price remains the same, $8899 for the Street Triple or $9599 for the Street Triple R, which features the higher-spec brakes and suspension components from Triumph’s 675 Daytona.

If you don’t like the new look, take heart–there are still 2010 and early-year 2011 Street Triples and Street Triple Rs with the old headlamps. Customers who buy the old model get an accessory package complete with bellypan, radiator cowl and flyscreen worth $600 to sweeten the deal.

1. Gritboy says:

Great bike. FUGLY lights.

2. Stinky says:

Looks or no looks, this bike seems really sweet. I sat on one last year and felt it was the best fittin’ bike I’ve swung a leg over. I’ve not heard one with cans but the old Speed Triple I rode sounded, sat and hanled soooo good. I’m betting this little one runs about as good as the older Speedys did and I liked the way it sat even better. BTW I’m 6′tall, 34” inseam and 36” sleeves and this thing sat perfect. I’m afraid to ride one as I’d probably buy one even though my other bikes are far from worn out.

3. ABQ says:

In this months Cycleworld middle weight comparison, they cite one of the stret triples downsides as:”The inability to keep both wheels on the ground.” LOL!

4. Boss says:

Based off of pictures, I didn’t like the look of the new Speed Triple. Saw in in person last weekend, and actually like it much better than the old one. I hope they fix the seat on the Street Triple and make it just like the Speed Triple. My only complaint with the current Street Triple is the seat crams you into the tank (just like the Z1000 and a few other bikes).

5. Mickey says:

I just can’t get used to the headlights, either the two small round ones or whatever shape you call these new ones. Guess I’m just too old, and set in my ways. To me the bike would look better with either a single round or square headlight like the old early 80′s GS Suzukis. It’s probably a wonderful bike from all I’ve read, and a test ride might convince me to ignore the weird looking lights, but since I am not in the market for a middle weight bike at this time it’s a moot point. To tell the truth I’m not that fond of the bug eyed look on my gen 1 FZ-1 either, but I try not to think about it. It’s easy to ignore them from the saddle ha ha.

They do look better than that wierd 1 roundish,1 squareish of different sizes set up on the BMW F800R

That others seem to like them is enough to justify them for Triumph to use them.

6. 06speedtriple says:

Anytime they go from nice clean shiny chrome to plastic it is never a good thing! I liked the looks of the speedtrip before, it was different! Now the headlights look like all the new models. Some overpayed “higher-up” made the decision to change those headlights… I think it is the beginning of the end for the Speedtriple!! Its like takin Mr.T’s Mohawk and Chains when they are gone he s just another Tuff guy with no identity!

7. kpaul says:

I favor the older look but the new look is ok. But I also favored the old Ducati Monster look over the new ones. Maybe I am turning into a grumpy old man. Oh Boy :)

8. Brian says:

Get some after market cans and a kit to clean up the rear fender/ license plate mount and the bike looks so much cleaner… Better yet, get the low mount exhaust and the bike really looks sick..

9. BillC says:

Just get a license plate that reads WALL-E and you’re good to go!

10. Mickey says:

2012′s? It’s only March of 2011.What’s with all the 2012 announcements?

11. T. Rollie says:

I like it! Put on a few pieces of duct tape in strategic locations, bend a peg or a lever, and it will look even more hooligany.

12. ABQ says:

Their is no such thing as a beautiful Hooligan. You want the muscular, scarred, missing teeth, broken nose, swollen squinting eyes. The street triple is very ‘street’. OY!

• Trpldog says:

ABQ,
      Well said. Form must follow function when it come to Hooliganism. Motor grunt, stuck-on headlights, big whoa power, and attitude. I just love leaving stoplights carrying the front wheel 1 or 2 inches off the pavement through all of first gear – not enough to attract attention by spectators, but enough to put a fat grin on my face under my black face-shield. Hoo-Doggie! Started riding in 1973, and have had many bikes, and without a doubt, the Speed Triple is the most fun bike I have ever owned. Period. Roulette Green, Twin canned Trpldog. If my wife knew how much fun this thing is to ride, she’d never let me leave the house!
      Cheers!

13. motobell says:

Anyone tried these bikes for 2-Up comfort? why can’t any manufacturer make a honest standard/naked bike that has all themodern sport bike components and is 2-Up capable without their ass sticking up in the air.. say a “sport modern” version of a ducati GT1000. btw, I love the distinct look of the bike and know friend who love their speed triple.

• Bobo says:

Not these. But I own a Shiver for 1-up and like the V-Twin. Never could make it work well for 2-up even with a custom seat – not enough room. BUT, own a BMW F800R for 2-up with the rear hard topcase as a backrest and for storage. Works perfectly. Only naked bike that truly works well for 2-up that I have found and I like it a lot. Tons of seat room, I hardly know I have a passenger. Slick middleweight bike as well.

• Tim C says:

I actually think this bike looks really good. Ergos might be issue (previous-gen fit me oddly, I’m tall and gangly), but bike is really appealing overall. I’d like to see faired version (I have FZ6 that’s used for sport riding, commuting, and touring)…if I still lived/commuted in SF I’d have one regardless.

• GP says:

I agree. At 50 years old, I am very attracted to these middleweight “standards”, but I do like to carry my wife with me often. Give us options or provisions for passenger comfort with *every* bike, except maybe the hard core race replica’s, please. Not all guys my age want cruisers, but we do want some practicality when we have to bring our SO’s with us. I want a bike that is light and lively and will wheelie easily when I want it to, but it has to carry my passenger in comfort as well. Why is this so hard?

14. denny says:

Actually, in my eye at least, this bike looks better than many late date creations of similar kind from japanese makers. Lights for one are really neat. Shame I am not 20years younger. Go Triumph, beat them!

15. monsterduc1000 says:

Very Cool. Ditch those mirrors for some bar ends and a nice pair of new slip on mufflers and you have a kick ass naked!

Personally, I think the dumbest looking part of the bike is the mufflers. The headlights- you can love em or hate em, but they are what separates this bikes image from all others.

• MikeD says:

YUP. Those cans look too big for such a tiny bike.
      The headlights, Meh…i can live with it, LOL.
      And Yes, Headlights are a landmark on this Model.
      The Arrow low mount(as Brian implied above)should be the OEM Piece to come installed AS STANDARD. If anything for aestetic reasons.

17. Dave says:

You can’t see the lights from the saddle – who cares! Enjoy the bike!

18. Tim says:

Call me tacky, then, because I like the new look. I was tired of the round lights, (“No disassemble Number 5!”). The only thing I’d change is the chrome/polished trim around them. If those were black it should make the whole assembly look a bit smaller. Other than that, I think the lights give the face an angry look – especially with the accesssory fly screen attached.

19. MGNorge says:

I’m betting the focal point more most people’s eyes are the headlamp units. I remember thinking the original round units looked tacked on but these look like they were left over from a sportbike production line and were cheap to obtain. Perhaps if they offered a sculpted flyscreen that wrapped around the lamps they’d look better? Sound like nice bikes with the only fly in the ointment being those eyes.

20. Manny says:

Great motorbikes.

21. Pat says:

Love these bikes.

22. brinskee says:

Did a demo at Munroe Motors here in San Francisco a few weeks ago, rode the new Speed Trip, as well as the previous version (to this) Street Trip. I was blown away by both bikes. Never owned a Strumpet, but I will one day, basically when I pay off my Multi 1200. It will take me that long to decide between the light-weight flickable feel of the Street, and the Brute Force In Your Face Hooligan Speed. Lovely times we live in, eh chaps?

23. MikeD says:

TRIUMPH! The Western Version of Honda as of lately. Last year they left a couple of fans hanging waiting for a “NEW” but instead we got a gone over & improved Speed Triple…now this. Don’t make me rant about the ‘Tona 675…the darn thing is been looking the same for ever how long now ? LOL, I think they are trying to detrone Kawi and it’s Ninja 250 for the ” Who takes longer to refresh a model” Award.
    BOLD New Colors and Headlights. Yawn. Zzzzz…
    Just in case someone says it, yes, U SHOULD MESS with success, unless u plan on going nowhere on the industry…that’s so based on what u see and makes u feel.

24. Philip says:

Dude! I’m getting the purple and powder coating the wheels mustard yellow! I loved 1992!

25. Jerrylee says:

As a 06 Speed Trip owner I have to say the new look is actually starting to grow on me but no enough to make a change to one of the new models. I have considered moving down to the 675 as the trip is mostly my around town bike and the smaller version would probably be more fun in that role.

26. alex says:

Beauty is in the… NO! That’s just fugly. It’s like someone collected all the modern styling updates that we’ve had to learn to accept in small doses and crammed them all together haphazardly with no consideration given to overall design cohesiveness. That’s without even mentioning the headlights, which would be like complaining about a pimple on the face of Medusa.

I bet it rips though! I had a Daytona 675 and that engine is incredible. However, this design does the engine a great disservice. I want to punch it in the face.

27. Trpldog says:

As a 07 Bug-eye Speed Triple owner, I used to make a fuss over the lights. Not any more.
    I’ve grown up. I’m mature now. I speak the Kings english now.
    YOU buy the silly lookin’ thing – I have no payments.
    CRUMPETS FOREVER!!