Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Photographed During Testing, More Details Emerge

Accompanied by rude fat jokes, spy photos of Ducati’s new Superbike replacement have emerged on enthusiast forum Ducati.ms, giving us some idea of the bike’s size and features six weeks before the bike’s official world debut.

We’ve been speculating about this bike for a while, and it looks like some of our speculation is borne out. Monocoque aluminum chassis? We can’t see anything under the bodywork, but patent filings indicate yes. Öhlins suspension and Brembo racing monobloc brakes? We can see those. Underbelly exhaust? Yes, complete with a big Termignoni label. We can also clearly see the massive-looking single-sided swingarm. The prototype has a chrome bar-end mirror, but that’s obviously for testing purposes—I’d expect mirror/turn-signal units like the current superbikes are equipped with. The new horizontally mounted rear suspension is not-so-elegantly covered with what looks like a bedpan, but you can spot bits of the linkage.

The exposed engine cover hints at an all-new motor. We told you earlier the powerplant will be the all-new 1199cc “Superquadratta,” with gear-driven cams and extremely over-square (in fact, ‘superquadratta’ is Italian for ‘over-square’) bore and stroke figures. A much higher rev limit is a likely result, with output possibly approaching 195 horsepower. That new-found extra power will be asked to carry less weight—the new monocoque design promises substantial weight savings on a bike that’s just about the lightest in its class already. To buttress these claims, there is a report on a moto-blog that a So-Cal Ducati dealer posted a not-so-cryptic “395/195” message on its FaceBook wall after attending a recent Ducati North America dealer meeting in Florida—395 pounds wet and 195 hp?

Another thing apparent from the photos is the small size of the bike. According to chatter on the forum, Ducati has a range of testers, and this is obviously the more man-sized one, but the bike still looks very compact. Not comfy for larger riders (clearly), but this bike is designed not as a comfy all-day sport-tourer, but as a tool to maintain Ducati’s dominance in World Superbike racing.

1. Eric says:

Yikes – this thread got ugly fast! Just to be perfectly clear, I am not disparaging the rider as he has about the same form as I do.. I just think that Ducati – while their bikes are top notch – sizes them a bit on the small side. Could anyone over say 6FT/225lbs honestly ride that little thing for more than an hour before cramping up? Now – don’t get mean here.. but what am I missing?

re: “but what am I missing?”

nothing. it’s a racebike first, a consumer product second is all. the fact that we john q. citizen have the luxury of even buying it at all is the icing on the cake.

2. Amazin says:

Wow. There’s a lot of a-holes here. Instead of productively commenting on that undoubtedly spectacular machine, you choose to pad your own insecure egos by trying to tear the man down. Why don’t you tear down women with breast cancer, and autistic children while you’re all at it as well.

• Delta says:

Amazin – I absolutely agree with you. I’d like to see what those ultra-critical “perfect specimens” look like in real life…. instead of what they look like in their own simple minds. I’m going to bet that they’re not as perfect as they think.
      As far as the bike, it’s a Ducati and will be amazing, especially when all the camo is taken off it. And the rider is one lucky guy to be a test rider for Ducati. Maybe that’s why all the immature comments – jealousy!

• MikeD says:

NAAAH, all I see is perfectly natural HUMAN BEHAVIOR…humans love to rip each others apart for the heck of it…is no secret, just step out of your house or even safer…just turn ON the TV.

3. Bob says:

At age 59 I decided to double my daily exercise regime, give up beer, wine and alcohol altogether, and eat really healthy food. One year later I’d lost ten lbs. and feel good about my self image. Thanks for publishing the picture of the porker on the little red scooter. I look at that and realize that staying healthy is worth the effort. Oh yeah, the bike is a loser too.

4. Solomoto says:

Instead of a toasted ass you’ll now have cooked legs from the placement of that radiator exhaust vent. Time to invent heat shielded riding pants.

5. hermit says:

Did anyone else notice that the test rider appears a little overweight?

• fast2win says:

That’s actually an average size human, those bike’s are built for midget’s.lol note the under down low muffler. Single disc to follow, with fuel in the frame after that., (big belly roll buuuuaaahhhh. This looks almost as good as Buells new 1190RR. 195 horse and all

6. BergDonk says:

Anyone notice that the test rider is wearing a Stoner replica lid?

apparently, the only replica he was ever going to get…? observe how ducati never saw fit to issue one DESPITE the major milestone of winning their 1st GP title. yet a year later bayliss (also an aussie) got his 2nd replica…? things that make you go “hmmmmmnnnn”… (scratching temple, rubbing chin)

7. Eric says:

OMG.. Who does Ducati use for a ‘sizing’ model for their motorcycles?? That guy looks like a big sausage stuffed into a little red bun. I mean seriously? LOL!!!

8. Austin Hunt says:

Looks Japanese like my red 2007 Ninja.

9. donniedarko says:

Ugliest Ducati I have ever seen. The swinger looks like its drag stretched… and the bed pan? Hopefully this is still a early proto. Dissappointing.

no worries, the works swinger on the factory kit was always like 10-20 mils longer than OEM. they may have fitted one for testing to ensure they don’t foul what might be a termi test mule…? in the other picture from the left side, the swinger and wheelbase looks “ducati standard”. the size of the rider may also be adding to the illusion as the rear looks to be squatting a tad under compression. i’m 205-220 “leather’d-up” and i look nothing like that so that guy’s gotta be north of 250…?

10. blackcayman says:

Did any of you junveniles read the first line of the story???

“Accompanied by rude fat jokes, spy photos of Ducati’s new Superbike…”

@$$ holes everywhere…. You laugh at another’s expense and then are shocked when people “break”.

11. ROXX says:

Must have a large gas tank since it comes equipped with a bed pan under the seat.

12. Steve says:

I didn’t know John Goodman rode motorcycles…

13. Echanos says:

One thing is for sure, that guy can ride like nobody’s business.

14. bikerrandy says:

Gawd, that’s what I would look like on a crotch rocket ! Good thing I’m on maxi-scooters now instead.

I’ll betcha there’s a MacD Happy Meal in his backpack. Bike development is hard work, after all ….

16. brinskee says:

Sigh. At 6’5″ I think I’ll look like this. Or sillier. Why can’t we have bikes in the middle… At least the vertically challenged have solutions (dog bones, drop the forks, thinner seats) but we tall lads have none. It will be pretty to look at.

17. Scott in the UK says:

Its pretty easy to continue dominance if you have 200cc on the opposition.

• monsterduc1000 says:

Great comment from someone who obviously knows nothing about engines…

• Scott in the UK says:

Ducati have had a capacity advantage for some time, and have clung onto that advantage through thick and thin. The eventually gave up on Supersport with the 748 as it was simply not competative with the 600 fours no matter how “special” the version they came out with was. I well remember the debut of the 851 and what a great impression it made, and I have no particular beef with v-twins, I have ridden one myself for the last 7 years and its Italian. But I do object to the manipulation of the rules by the Flammini’s in order to keep Ducati competative. Surely if they can’t cut it on equal capacity terms they just cant cut the mustard? The record of Ducatis at the TT would seem to bear this out.

And I’m not looking for an argument, I’m to old for that kind of farnarkling, but how long before to call came to Flamminis if the big 4 all launched (and were allowed) 1199cc bikes to race in Superbikes? I’d give it about 5 minutes at most.

• Mark says:

The big four have tried that before and are more than welcome to build that configuration again if they chose to do so. Honda had limited sucess. Everyone can remember the Edwards/Bayliss battle. Simply put, a twin must move heavier parts farther than a four of equal displacement. For those of us who ride twins, having them compete keeps the design alive and competitive. Same is true for two stroke vs four stroke. The 4Ts need a displacement advantage or they get blown away. I, for one, like the diversity of design created by these rules.

It comes down to the combination. For the longest time Suzukis dominated AMA (with Ducati present) while Duc dominated WSB. Then Ben Spies comes along and whips everone on a bike that hasn’t done as well since his departure.

FWIW, the Ducati hasn’t shown to be as powerful as the fours anywhere. Duc has just always made sure to have the best riders on it.

18. JR says:

I would buy another “American Made” 2004 Buell Lightning XB12S.. over this Ducati anyday, especially when it comes to maintaining it.

19. Roadrash1 says:

I’m sure it will be a cool bike. What I’m really excited about is, it looks like we found Elvis!

20. Mickey says:

So…THAT’S the guy that selects all the production suspensioin settings. No wonder all these new bikes ride so damn stiff.

21. Tony says:

Hey, take it easy. Bayliss has been off for a while now!
    He’s still faster than any of us could dream to be! ;-)
    Not impressed with the test mule, but let’s see where the production look gets us.

22. Freddie says:

You are looking at it all wrong. Ducati is smart, if it breaks down he came pick it up and carry it back to their shop. Neat looking bike can’t wait to see it in person.

Ducati knows no middle road. They perpetually swing from stunningly beautiful motorcycles to something better suited in a burlap sack. Guess which category this bike belongs in (hint: the same bucket as the Multistrada, Diavel, and current Monster). Sorry, but we’ve had a return to the Terblanch epoch.

24. Neil says:

I think these race bikes are torture racks on the street and for riders over 5’8, let’s say. They are great to talk about when parked but on the street in the U.S. the power and speed cannot be used. Makes a great toy for those that have the money, but given the choice, I’ll take the Honda CBR250R, which I can make the MOST of on the street.

25. Rayzor says:

This rider is fat, period. He should be on a Haley. Ducati must have custom made that suit for him. What a turn off, I will never look at another Duc the same…

• blackcayman says:

@ Rayzor – These are about the most imbecilic comments I’ve ever read on this site.

You judge a motorcycle company by the body composition of a test rider???

So can we guess that you are physically fit??? – Seems logical – but obviously you are a complete @$$hole and a waste of a human being. You are the kind of people that rounded others up and threw them into ovens and gas chambers – mocking and laughing as they went.

Many of the men who can afford this motorcycle are built like the man in the picture, as are the men who design them. You’re just less likely to see them wearing one-piece leathers. The bike is also VERY small.

26. Morris Bethoven says:

You got it all wrong. He’s not fat, he’s wearing the new HONDA Goldwing safety airbag!

27. Tom says:

this is there way of saying, “Americans, this is how you look on a sport bike.” Maybe that’s why we mostly ride cruisers.

28. craigj says:

I remember walking into the dealer to look for a bike after being introduced to the rest of life for the previous 20 years, and seeing a Ducati 851. It was so little. This looks littler. I’d look like a Shriner on a mini bike on that … one reason why I ride adventure bikes I suppose …

29. Hot Dog says:

It must come with Michelin tires since the picture shows the Michelin Man riding it. Wow, what a beautiful machine!

30. gurney says:

woooo he is a portly chap isnt he… Well I’ve had to come to terms that I ride on the street and although it looks quite cool it will be ill suited to the standard red light-to-red light, stop-and-go traffic that plagues my particular suburb.

I’ll be sure to oogle one when I see it in the flesh and will remain eager to read the report once it is released and tested. As always I’m highly curious now about the cost of maintenance as well.

31. BillyGoat says:

Is the rear tire/rim a larger diameter than the front?

yes and no. what we are likely looking at is the new 200 series rear pirelli developed in the italian championship. aprilia was the first to fit it to the ’11 RSV4 the same way they were the first to sort the 190/55 for the 1st gen milles. there’s actually another picture floating around snapped from a more rear quarter view where the bike has even more of that whole “BAT-POD” appearance coveted by numerous street riders. it can’t be seen in the pictures above, but the size of the rear tire combined with the tail section has styling cues picked up from the DIAVEL. no worries, i say this as a compliment as it looks damn good. :) this is the first time i suppose where elements from the road circuit(200/205 slicks on 6/6.25 rims) and elements from the “exterior decorating” crowd (240/260/300 rear “flintstone-mobiles”) are converging. and it’s not just cosmetic, open class bikes make enough power now (see S1000) to offset the weight penalty of the extra carcass while exploiting the extra-grip they afford. this has to be designed into the stock geometry of course the same way race bikes are altered AWAY from stock to run kit like this.

32. Gutterslob says:

Looks a bit like the 999 in the second image.

33. MikeD says:

That’s no Suspension,Shock or Linkage Cover, is an UGLY OLD FASHIONED Heat Shield for the rear header.
    Wich i hope won’t end on the final product.

34. Steven says:

Bet you he is on the way to KFC!

35. dino says:

Maybe the rider is just padded with the same ‘body concealing’ devices they have pasted all over the bodywork?

Why would they do that? To conceal the riding position of course!

thought elders (not that he’s overweight in anyway) was the only american working for the factory…? it seems there’s another.

37. tron says:

Wow, talk about looking like a monkey trying to make it with a football.

38. Kenneth says: