Honda Confirms V4, Shaft-Drive Crosstourer Going Into Production

Honda continues its V4 onslaught by confirming the concept Crosstourer we told you about in November of last year will enter production featuring the sweet drivetrain from the VFR1200F we tested back in June of last year.  Apparently, Honda’s DCT transmission will be an option, just as it is on the VFR.

These photos are of the concept unveiled last year, but we understand the production model will look almost identical.  Details are apparently forthcoming at EICMA next month, but here is a brief quote from Honda Project Leader Yosuke Hasegawa: “The Crosstourer offers a high-level fusion of vibrant off-road styling, upright riding position, V4 engine power and Dual Clutch Transmission that offers more direct power transmission and easy operation. We are convinced that we have successfully brought out new value in what can be termed the true Crossover Concept.”

1. Smith5402 says:

I love the looks and the concept. Without bikes like this, development and innovation will wain. Honda is huge complex entity. To try to understand their stratgy and future developments from a single product isn’t very effective. Japensese companies are focused on long term growth, not the next quarter. Throw in the difference between the American, European, and Asian markets and you’ve got quite a challenge in developing products effeciently.

I hope I see many of these on the road in America, regardless of why people want to own them. I continue to wait and see who will take the place of the low maintenence, low cost, effecient V-Strom.

2. Marvin C. says:

600 pounds for an “adventure” bike? Where I ride off-road, a 600# bike would be a nandicap unless I had two or three guys to drag it out of a wash-out!

3. Milo says:

Simplicity is not the only factor in dependability.
    In this age overall design is a more important.
    I have seen very simple machines break all the time and also seen
    very complex ones have few failures.

4. rashid says:

Like the GS1200, there will be one of these broken down in every town to the tip of South America. Simplicity reins, that’s why the KLR and Vstrom are so successful, not only in sales but on the road. The owners of this Honda will never leave the road, and that’s ok.

5. Milo says:

I would buy one if the price was right. Say 16k or under

• Morris Bethoven says:

16K is a lot to pay for any bike. Best to go to the used market and let some other sucker buy new and take the depreciation hit that this machine will surely suffer. Most used bikes are hardly ridden and in excellent shape.

6. scorpio says:

This is as much of an adventure bike as the Ducati Multistrada, which is the point Yosuke-san makes when he references “off-road styling.” The crossover concept I believe Honda’s trying to express is the fusion of adventure bike and sport tourer. Micro-niche or breakthrough category remains to be seen, but I like it and could myself owning one. I’d prefer the VFR800 motor and sub-500 lb curb weight (not to mention accessible pricing) to consider something like it, but I wish them success with this model/category.

• Frigid says:

I would agree with the VFR800 motor. I’m willing to bet, however, that Honda wants to truly differentiate this bike from the NT700 (Deauxville). I, for one, will seriously consider the 1200 if it makes it here.

7. Les says:

Dear Honda,

No one in the whole world cares about this bike. (some will lie, but will they buy?)

Please grow an imagination. By this I don’t mean another Fury or an over engineered and pointless BMW clone.

‘off road’ bikes are supposed to be simple not this overly complex and pointless beast you present.

I can’t really imagine what they could have done to make this bike uglier or dumber.

The opinions of someone who has owned many and nothing but hondas his whole life.

8. Dave says:

I guess we don’t get the TransAlp. I’ll keep my F800ST.

9. todd says:

My ’82 650 Seca rides everywhere that any GS or this Honda can go. I get 50 MPG and the bike was free (probably worth $1200). The Seca has shaft drive and a center stand and 73 HP (yes, at the crank) so I can keep up with everyone except the insanely fast. My bike is much better looking than this thing too. I put 15+ thousand miles on it every year with no problems. I’ve had (and still have) other, more modern motorcycles but I always come back to this nice, simple, excellent bike. I already ride my Seca much more often than I ride my Ducati (about 4 to 1). Why on God’s green earth would I ever spend what Honda will be asking for this thing? Will it really be ten times better than what I already have?

• MGNorge says:

No bikes are cheap today unless they’re given to you. It sounds like you’re happy with what you have and that’s great. But someone has to buy new or else there won’t be any used! No one is ramming this down your throat and making you pay the cost of admission. But one day, what are today’s new bikes will become tomorrow’s used and one of them just might light a fire under you. Don’t discount it!

• Steve says:

And yet you still look at new bikes? Why bother if you have a perfect bike already?

Will it be 10 times better than an ’82 Seca 650?

# of times out of 10 I would prefer to see this bike in my garage over an ’82 Seca? : 10
      # of times out of 10 I would prefer to be seen riding this bike over an ’82 Seca? : 10
      # of times more play you can get riding this bike over an ’82 Seca? : 10
      # of times more I would pay for this bike over an ’82 Seca? : 10

There you have it. Mathematical proof that this bike is 10x better than an ’82 Seca. Now, let’s hear no more of this nonsense.

10. Chris Moonen says:

From what I have seen and read on some forums this is only the concept bike. The production bike will have inverted forks.

One of the reasons Honda is bulding this bike is because Adventure bikes are one of the fasted growing markets right now.

11. Mike Whitmell says:

Aren’t there enough of these giant dirt bikes now???? One ugly bike, come on Honda….

12. Eric says:

It’s an interesting bike..I keep scratching my head as to why Honda would build this one, rather than bring over some if it’s euro bikes.. The CB1300, XLV1000, etc. I must be have been out that day in marketing class back in college :-)

• craigj says:

The XLV1000 Veradero has been available in Canada for the past 4 years or so. It’s an OUTSTANDING bike, but didn’t sell worth beans. I think I can still find 2008 carry-overs with savings of about $6k over a current model. I don’t think it’s coming back anytime soon. One of the guys I ride with had one … it’s like a V-Strom only with ABS, and typical Honda fit and finish. Really quite nice.

13. randy says:

Vibrant 600 pound offroad styling… great, I’m so excited.

14. ian saki says:

Looks like a great bike. I do have one question, why would anyone still make a bike without inverted forks? I had the same complaint about the new V-Strom.

• MGNorge says:

Could it be that Honda (and Suzuki too) feels that any benefit inverted forks would lend to this type of bike might be superfluous and only add to the cost of the bike? I don’t have inverted forks on any of my bikes and I can’t say I truly miss them.

re: “why would anyone still make a bike without inverted forks?”

ya know what…? i’m going to allow this objection to be entered into the court record. counsel for the prosecution (mr. saki esq.) posits a valid question.

at this point, nothing modern in the honda line-up uses standard forks. something USD (or at least adaptable) should already be paid for and sitting on the shelves so to speak for current production. standard forks i think would have to be sourced bespoke from showa or KYB…? wouldn’t it basically cost the same (if not cheaper) to just turn longer fixed tubes or sliders from the kit being sourced for the VFR12…? if for no other than marketing reasons, why on “god’s green” would you saddle your forthcoming mega-buck, mega-adventurer with the same damper rod tech as seen on your decidely bottom barrel, 3rd world targeted CBR250…?

whether it works or not doesn’t matter. the question is, is this really an association you want potential buyers of a vehicle (at this price point) to even be making…? when someone is set to spend in the range of $15k for a flagship enduro, +/-$500-$1000 quid for a pukka set of forks isn’t a dealbreaker.

they’re not there to “bottom feed”. they’re not there to utter the words, “i’m not going to pay alot for this muffler”. they are there to acquire the HONDA OF ADVENTURE BIKES and all the technology therein. they don’t want “money”, they want what money can BUY them. i can usually explain away ALOT of things done by manufacturers, but this one definitely has me scratching my head….???