We previously brought you information about three new Honda models featuring a 670cc parallel twin and available Dual Clutch Transmission. One of the models is a scooter/motorcycle hybrid called the Integra, and our announcement of this bike provides much of the detail regarding the engine and transmission shared by all thee models. The other two models include a naked and an adventure-style machine.
Honda announced today that it is bringing the adventure-style bike, known as the NC700X, to the U.S. with a scheduled availability at dealers this summer. U.S. MSRP will start at $6,999 for the manual transmission version, and several accessories (including the luggage shown in two of the photos in this article) will be available to increase its touring/commuting appeal. The DCT and ABS systems add $2,000 to the base price for a total of $8,999.
Honda has gone to great efforts to combine real world performance (high torque in the street rpm range) with outstanding fuel efficiency. Indeed, we expect the NC700X to easily achieve 60 mpg here in the states.
The relatively low price and available second-generation DCT and Combined Antilock braking system are intended to make the bike broadly appealing to both experienced riders and inexperienced riders alike. A reasonably long-travel suspension system should provide some versatility to a machine that is designed primarily for street use.
Here is the list of features and benefits provided to us by Honda.
Check out the 2012 Honda NC700X, and what do you see? An adventure-style bike? An urban assault commuter? A country road explorer? A two-up getaway machine? Or perhaps all of the above? Whatever your personal vision of the NC700X may be, color it fun because this is one bike that offers a perfect blend of style, handling and power for tackling whatever the day’s agenda may hold. Credit its long-travel suspension, abundant torque and more, plus a six-speed gearbox or the choice of an automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) with a Combined Antilock Braking System. So whether you’re new to the sport, a longtime rider or just getting back into the riding scene, the NC700X offers the comfort, ease of use and practicality of an everyday motorcycle that’s also surprisingly affordable.
Features & Benefits
- All-new liquid-cooled eight-valve 670cc parallel-twin engine pumps out plenty of torque in the low-end and midrange for easily accessible power.
- The impressively broad torque curve gives the NC700X an extraordinarily linear and smooth power delivery.
- Purpose-built engine architecture with a relatively long engine stroke (80mm combined with a 73mm bore diameter) and a high-inertia crankshaft add to the NC700X’s extremely tractable power characteristics.
- The 62-degree forward lean given to the cylinder assembly facilitates near-vertical mounting of the single 36mm throttle body for superior intake port positioning and shaping. In addition, special shaping to the combustion chambers further enhances engine combustion efficiency for clean burning and optimal power production.
- Engine balancer shaft quells vibration for smooth, comfortable operation.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) continuously monitors numerous variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture for existing riding and atmospheric conditions, thereby delivering optimal performance and remarkably crisp throttle response over a wide range of operating conditions.
- NC700X features manual six-speed transmission.
- NC700X DCT/ABS features a second-generation automatic six-speed Honda Dual Clutch Transmission that uses two hydraulically controlled clutches to deliver quick and smooth gear changes in a choice of three modes: Manual (MT), which allows the rider to shift gears using buttons, and two automatic (AT) modes—S for sport riding and D for everyday use.
- DCT model also features Honda Combined ABS to provide full antilock functionality for powerful and secure braking action.
- Fuel tank located under the seat contributes to mass centralization and a low center of gravity, making the NC700X feel remarkably light.
- Large 21-liter secure internal storage area (positioned where the fuel tank typically rests in other models) accepts a helmet or other gear for added versatility.
- Fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons gives the NC700X a cruising range of nearly 240 miles.
- A rigid and compact diamond-shape steel frame, low center of gravity plus long-travel suspension help make the NC700X delightfully responsive and agile.
- Brawny 41mm front fork provides a full 6.0 inches of travel, while the Pro-Link® single shock rear suspension system delivers an impressive 5.9 inches of wheel travel.
- Open, roomy ergonomics position the rider in a well-balanced seating position for all-day comfort.
- Modern adventure-bike styling gives the NC700X the look of an urban assault commuter as well as a country road explorer.
- Windscreen and bodywork route wind around the rider, adding to comfort and reducing fatigue.
- A large array of available accessories allows owners to add just the right combination of capabilities to suit individual preferences and expand their adventure.
Honda Genuine Accessories†
- 45-Liter Rear Trunk, Rear Trunk Liner, 29-Liter Saddlebags, Saddlebag Liner Set, Saddlebag Panel Kit, Windscreen (High), Rear Carrier, Front Side Cowl Panel, Foot Deflector Kit, Leg Deflector Kit, LED Fog Light Kit, Front Accent Pipe, Heated Grips, 12V DC Socket Kit, Centerstand (Final accessories are TBD and are subject to change without notice)
† WARRANTY: Because we’re so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Genuine Accessories, we’re pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.
Model: NC700X / NC700X with Automatic Dual Clutch Transmission and Combined ABS
Engine Type: 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin
Bore and Stroke: 73mm x 80mm
Compression ratio: 10.7:1
Valve Train: SOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with 36mm throttle body
Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
Transmission: Six-speed / Automatic six-speed with two modes and a manual mode
Final Drive: Chain
Front: 41mm fork; 6.0 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link® single shock with spring preload adjustability; 5.9 inches travel
Front: Single 320mm disc with two-piston caliper / Single 320mm disc with three-piston caliper
Rear: Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper / Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper; Combined ABS
Front: 120/70ZR17 radial
Rear: 160/60ZR17 radial
Wheelbase: 60.6 inches
Rake (Caster angle): 27.0°
Trail: 110.0mm (4.3 inches)
Seat Height: 32.7 inches
Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gallons
Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD
Color: Light Silver Metallic
Curb Weight*: 472 pounds / 505 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.
**Honda’s fuel-economy estimates are based on EPA exhaust emission measurement test procedures and are intended for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride; how you maintain your vehicle; weather; road conditions; tire pressure; installation of accessories; cargo, rider and passenger weight; and other factors.
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
Specifications subject to change without notice.