LOS ANGELES (January 21, 2012) – TwoTwo Motorsports’ Chad Reed, of Dade City, Fla., won the Supercross Class main event at tonight’s Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, at Dodger Stadium before 35,741 fans, marking his first win of the season. GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac, of Cortez, Colo., also captured his first Western Regional Supercross Lites Class main event win of the season.
After winning the Nuclear Cowboyz® Holeshot, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Jake Weimer, of Wildomar, Calif., held the lead position until being passed by Reed on Lap 6. Toyota/Yamaha/JGRMX’s James Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., made a pass on Weimer for second place, and during the pass, Weimer crashed, falling to 14th place.
Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey, who won last weekend’s race in Phoenix, settled into fourth place behind Stewart. Dungey was able to capitalize on a crash by Stewart on Lap 12 as he took over the number three position.
Reed earned his 41st Supercross Class main event and third consecutive podium finish of the season. Dungey, who finished second, has also been on the podium at every race this season and now sits in the points lead. Stewart finished a season-best third place.
“I have been trying to figure out what I have been doing wrong this year,” said Reed. “I switched to a tire that I used last year and it worked. I am going to keep trying to get better each week. I will take the good with the bad and keep moving forward.”
In the Western Regional Supercross Lites Class main event, Tomac quickly passed Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot winner Martin Davalos, of the Rockstar Suzuki team, shortly after turn one and rode flawlessly for the next 15 laps. On lap 6, Monster Energy Yamaha’s Zach Osborne, of Chesterfield, S.C., passed Davalos, for the number two position. While riding in third place, Davalos crashed and lost several positions before reentering the race.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson, who won last weekend’s main event in Phoenix, passed Osborne on lap 12, where he would finish. Wilson currently sits in second place. Osborne earned a career-best third-place finish.
Tomac’s win marked the third of his career, and he is now the Western Regional Supercross Lites Class points leader, one point ahead of Wilson.
“I was able to sneak into the lead and ride 15 solid laps,” said Tomac. “It’s a night and day difference when you get a good start. I should have been getting starts like this all season.”
CBS will broadcast the Supercross class race at 12:00pm EST on Sunday January 22, 2012.
Racing resumes next Saturday at Oakland’s O.com Coliseum.
Supercross Class Results: Phoenix
1. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
4. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
5. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
6. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
7. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
8. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki
9. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
10. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki
11. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
12. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
13. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 67
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 63
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 63
4. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 48
5. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 48
6. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 43
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 38
8. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda – 36
9. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 36
10. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 28
Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Results: Phoenix
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
2. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
3. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha
4. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki
6. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Honda
7. Michael Lieb, Menifee, Calif., Honda
8. Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, Australia, KTM
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
10. Billy Laninovich, Riverside, Calif., Honda
Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 63
2. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 62
3. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 60
4. Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 47
5. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha – 47
6. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 44
7. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 42
8. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Honda – 32
9. Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 32
10. Billy Laninovich, Riverside, Calif., Honda – 27
Tune into the enhanced exclusive weekly video content from Supercross LIVE! during the entire 2012 season on SupercrossOnline.com, the Official Website of Monster Energy Supercross.
Weekly Supercross LIVE! Video Content Schedule
The Official Supercross LIVE! Pre-Show Race Days at 11 AM Local Race Time
Behind the Scenes with Supercross LIVE! All Day on Race Days
2 Minutes on the Track Race Days at 3:30 & 5:30 PM Local Race Time
And on the Podium Tonight Following Each Round’s Main Events
The Official Supercross LIVE! Post-Show Saturday Nights at Each Round
Toyota Tailgate Talk Wednesdays at 5 PM ET
After The Checkered Flag Thursdays at 5PM ET