OAKLAND, Calif. (January 28, 2012) – In front of 46,017 fans at O.co Coliseum, Toyota/Yamaha/JGRMX’s James Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., won his first Supercross Class Main Event of the 2012 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, season. GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac, of Cortez, Calif., won his second consecutive Western Regional Supercross Lites Class race.
TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel-Rey/Honda’s Chad Reed, of Dade City, Fla., opened the Supercross Class Main Event by winning the Nuclear Cowboyz® Holeshot with Supercross.com Honda’s Andrew Short, of Smithville, Texas, and Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Josh Hansen, of Elbert, Colo., following in second and third, respectively.
Stewart, who won in Oakland last year, made quick work of Hansen, making the pass to secure third place on the end of the opening lap. Points leader Ryan Dungey, of Belle Plaine, Minn., finished lap 1 in ninth place. On lap 2, Stewart moved around Short and set his sights on Reed. After stalking Reed relentlessly for several laps, Stewart passed him on lap nine and checked out. Stewart became the fourth different Supercross Class winner of the season. Reed finished second and Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Villopoto finished third. Reed and Dungey are now tied for first place at 85 points apiece.
“I would like to dedicate this win to my mechanic, Mark ‘Tex’ Adams, who passed away this week,” said Stewart. “I got in a rhythm out there tonight and put together a great race. I had a tough couple of races this year, and tonight I got it done.”
Rockstar Energy Racing Suzuki’s Martin Davalos, of Cairo, Ga., grabbed the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot with Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson, of Menifee, Calif., on his rear wheel as they headed out of turn 1. Tucked in behind the leaders, Tomac held down the number-three spot.
While chasing down Davalos, on lap 1, Wilson shot off the track, crashing and losing valuable positions as Tomac moved into second place. On lap 2, Davalos bobbled, which allowed Tomac to make a pass for the lead. Zach Osborne, of Chesterfield, S.C., pushed his Monster Energy Yamaha into second place on lap 6, but was passed by Rockstar Energy Racing’s Jason Anderson, of Edgewood, N.M., on lap 10. Anderson crashed one lap later, going the number-two spot to Osborne.
On lap 12, Osborne engaged on a hotly contested battle with Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin, of Murrieta, Calif. Musquin made a solid pass and held on for second place with Osborne in third for the second consecutive weekend.
Tomac extended his points lead to 15 before heading back to Angel Stadium next weekend.
“This is my best season ever,” said Tomac. “Our team worked really hard to give me a great bike, and I made the most of it. I now have a nice lead going into Anaheim.”
Racing resumes next Saturday at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif.
Supercross Class Results: Oakland
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
4. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
6. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
7. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
8. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
10. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 85
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 85
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 83
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 73
5. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 61
6. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 58
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda – 52
8. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 47
9. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 45
10. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 42
Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Results: Oakland
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
2. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
3. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha
4. Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Yamaha
5. Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, NS
6. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda
7. Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha
8. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Honda
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
10. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 88
2. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 73
3. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha – 67
4. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 64
5. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 60
6. Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 57
7. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 53
8. Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 46
9. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Honda – 45
10. Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Yamaha – 43
Tune into the enhanced exclusive weekly video content from Supercross LIVE! during the entire 2012 season on SupercrossOnline.com, the Official Website of Monster Energy Supercross.
Weekly Supercross LIVE! Video Content Schedule
The Official Supercross LIVE! Pre-Show Race Days at 11 AM Local Race Time
Behind the Scenes with Supercross LIVE! All Day on Race Days
2 Minutes on the Track Race Days at 3:30 & 5:30 PM Local Race Time
And on the Podium Tonight Following Each Round’s Main Events
The Official Supercross LIVE! Post-Show Saturday Nights at Each Round
Toyota Tailgate Talk Wednesdays at 5 PM ET
After The Checkered Flag Thursdays at 5PM ET