ARLINGTON, Texas (February 18, 2012) – Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., won his third consecutive Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, race tonight at Cowboys Stadium before 53,952 fans and extended his points lead to 13 points. GEICO Honda’s Justin Barcia, of Ochlocknee, Ga., won the opening race of the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Championship.
Motoconcepts Suzuki’s Jeff Alessi, of Victorville, Calif., captured the first Nuclear Cowboyz® Holeshot Award of his season to begin the Supercross Class Main Event. Alessi was quickly passed by Villopoto and TwoTwo Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed, of Dade City, Fla., respectively. JGRMX/ Toyota/Yamaha’s James Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., finished Lap 2 in second place, and on the following lap he collided with his teammate Davi Millsaps. The mishap caused Stewart and Millsaps to lose several positions.
While stalking Villopoto just prior to the halfway point, Reed suffered a horrific crash that left him unable to finish the race. On Lap 18, Villopoto’s Monster Energy Kawasaki teammate Jake Weimer, of Rupert, Idaho, traded positions with Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey for second place. Weimer held him off but was passed by Dungey on the final lap. The two then traded positions several times before Dungey made the final pass and crossed the checkers in second. Weimer finished third, marking his second podium finish of the year.
“The track really broke down out there tonight, and when that happens, you have to be smart and play it safe,” said Villopoto. “It’s a bummer for Chad (Reed). I am looking forward to next weekend in Atlanta.”
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Darryn Durham, of Butler, Pa., won the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award to start the Supercross Lites Class Main Event with Rockstar Energy Racing’s Blake Wharton, of Beaumont, Texas, on his rear wheel through the first turn. While charging after Durham, Wharton crashed before the take-off of the triple.
Rookie Justin Bogle, of Cushing, Okla., moved into second place after Wharton’s crash but was subsequently passed on Lap 3 by his teammate and defending Supercross Lites Class Champion Justin Barcia.
On Lap 6, Barcia and Durham traded places with Durham holding the lead, and on the same lap, Barcia and Bogle traded places. Barcia held down second until Lap 8, when he passed Durham and rode to victory. Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen, of Murrieta, Calif., passed Bogle for third place on Lap 10.
JDR/JStar/KTM’s Malcolm Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., attempted to pass Bogle but caused both riders to crash, losing valuable positions. Durham finished second and Roczen finished third.
“They didn’t make it easy on me tonight,” said Barcia. “I had a great night, and the team didn’t really have to make any major changes to the bike coming into tonight’s Main Event. I have learned a lot from the past few years, and it paid off tonight. I am going to Atlanta next weekend with the points lead.”
Supercross Class Results: Arlington
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
3. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
4. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki
5. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
6. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
7. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Kawasaki
Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 158
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 145
3. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 128
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 116
5. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 92
6. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 92
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 88
8. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki – 81
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 80
10. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 80
Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Results: Arlington
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
2. Darryn Dunham, Butler, Pa., Kawasaki
3. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Ga., KTM
4. Blake Wharton, Beaumont, Texas, Suzuki
5. Phillip Nicoletti, Cochecton, N.Y., Honda
6. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., KTM
7. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Suzuki
8. PJ Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
9. Cole Thompson, Brigden, Ontario, Honda
10. Lance Vincent, Youngsville, La., KTM
Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 25
2. Darryn Dunham, Butler, Pa., Kawasaki – 23
3. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Ga., KTM – 20
4. Blake Wharton, Beaumont, Texas, Suzuki – 18
5. Phillip Nicoletti, Cochecton, N.Y., Honda – 16
6. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., KTM – 15
7. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Suzuki – 14
8. PJ Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 13
9. Cole Thompson, Brigden, Ontario, Honda – 12
10. Lance Vincent, Youngsville, La., KTM – 11
Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 116
2. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 114
3. Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 101
4. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 89
5. Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 78
6. Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, NS, KTM – 73
7. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha – 67
8. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda – 63
9. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 60
10. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 58
The Monster Energy Supercross Championship heads to Atlanta’s Georgia Dome next Saturday, February 25.
Tune into the enhanced exclusive weekly video content from Supercross LIVE! during the entire 2012 season on SupercrossOnline.com, the Official Website of Monster Energy Supercross.
Weekly Supercross LIVE! Video Content Schedule
The Official Supercross LIVE! Pre-Show Race Days at 11 AM Local Race Time
Behind the Scenes with Supercross LIVE! All Day on Race Days
2 Minutes on the Track Race Days at 3:30 & 5:30 PM Local Race Time
And on the Podium Tonight Following Each Round’s Main Events
The Official Supercross LIVE! Post-Show Saturday Nights at Each Round
Toyota Tailgate Talk Wednesdays at 5 PM ET
After The Checkered Flag Thursdays at 5PM ET