Motus Motorcycles Announces Dealers, Pricing and final Horsepower Numbers for 2013 Models

We told you about Alabama-based Motus Motorcycles’ exciting MST sport-tourer last July (I even got to ride on one), but there were still some questions unanswered: how much and when and where can I buy one? Motus has some pre-production bikes on display at Daytona this year, and has announced standard equipment, pricing, options and a list of new dealers for the 2013 models.

The bikes will go into production this fall, and Motus is taking reservations from a limited number of customers. They can choose from two models, the $30,975MST or higher-spec $36,975 MST-R, and both bikes are well-equipped. The MST gets a fully adjustable Öhlins front fork and Progressive Suspension rear shock, Brembo brake calipers, Givi side cases, a Sargent seat, centerstand, 720-watt alternator and the incredible Pratt and Miller 1650cc liquid-cooled pushrod V-Four rated at 165 horsepower and 122 foot-pounds of torque. Other items of interest: built-in Powerlet accesory plugs, ride-by-wire throttle, dual-overdrive transmission (not explained in Motus’ press materials but I assume that means both fifth and sixth gears are overdriven, which makes sense with such a torquey engine) and to address the concerns of driveshaft fans, an XW-ring chain rated to 20,000 miles and a “hybrid” rear sprocket with a lifetime warranty.

The MST-R, priced at (gulp!) $36,975 adds race-quality Öhlins components front and back, forged monobloc Brembo calipers, forged OZ wheels and an upgraded powerplant that makes 185 hp, in case 165 hp is too weak for you. Accessories include a Givi topcase, different windscreens, and heated grips and seat. Colors for both bikes are limited to white or black.

Motus also released an initial list of dealers (see list below), mostly in Southern states. There was no information about a California model, but I imagine the MST’s specs will have the California Air Resources Board on their highest state of bureaucratic nit-pickiness. Still, with fuel-injection and sophisticated engine-management systems, expect it to be street legal in all 50 states eventually—we’ll keep you posted.

So here’s the question for you: is $31,000-plus too much to pay for what sounds like the sport-tourer American riders have been requesting for many years? That’s a $10,000 premium over BMW’s six-cylinder K1600GT (which makes similar power but is 170 pounds heavier), but I would posit that you’re getting three bikes for the price of 1.5 K1600GTs—a track-capable sportbike (Motus President Lee Conn claims he can lap his home track at Barber Motorsports Complex on an MST at about the same times as his Honda CBR600), a fuel-sipping (50 mpg was the goal—we don’t know if that’s been achieved), nimble commuter and a continent-crossing mega-sports-tourer. It’s also handmade in the USA and sounds kick-ass. We’re looking forward to riding one and expect that to happen this summer, so stay tuned.

LIST OF DEALERS

AF1 Racing, 304 East Cesar Chavez, Austin, TX, 78701, 512-482-8377 www.af1racing.com, ed@af1racing.com

Battley Cycles, 7830 Airpark Road, Gaithersburg, MD, 20879, 301-948-4581 www.battley.com, info@battley.com

Cruisin’ 66, 1310 S Glenstone Avenue, Springfield, MO, 65804, 417-891-9998 www.cruisin66cycles.com, sales@cruisin66cycles.com

Moto Corse Performance, 11227 NE 9th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304, 954-522-8047 www.motocorseperformance.com, Contact@EuropeanMotorsportsInc.com

Motus Louisville, 1700 Arthur Street, Louisville, KY 40208, 502-634-1340 www.harleydavidsonlouisville.com, questions@MotusLouisville.com

Redline Performance Motorsports, 7331 George Washington Memorial Parkway, Yorktown, VA, 23692, 757-989-5000 www.redlinemotors.com, david@redlinemotors.com

Riders Hill, 3003 Morrison Moore Parkway E, Dahlonega, GA, 30533, 706-864-7777

EuropeanMotorsportsInc.com, contact@europeanmotorsportsinc.com

RPM Cycles, 13700 N. Stemmons Freeway, Farmers Branch, TX, 75234, 972-620-3883 www.rpmcycletx.com, cliff@rpmcycletx.com

1. Bones says:

Without having seen one in person I really like this bike. If I had that much to drop on motorcycles all at once, though, I could have a sport tourer, an adventure bike, a dirt bike and money for trips. Being perceived by others as “exclusive” isn’t high enough on my list of personal desires to warrant the cost of entry. If I had piles of stupid money perhaps I’d feel different.

If they’re trying to build brand recognition I guess I can see why it says MOTUS in so many place, but it’s kind of tacky. How about some red oval reflectors or running lights on the sides of the Givi panniers instead of more MOTUS emblems? I kind of like the red valve covers, but cast MOTUS into the cover itself instead of slapping on a name plate. And the exhaust can looks boy racer, not exclusive.

I look at the list of options (which do not have prices) and realize I’d be adding most of them if I were planning to buy a MOTUS. An MST-R set up for touring could easily top $40,000. I like the bike and wish MOTUS well, but that’s a giant amount of money IMHO.

2. Goose says:

Just to throw out a few observations:

1. Many people just don’t seem to get that this bike isn’t intended for them or me for that mater. The bike is intended for the wealthy like a Confederate and super high end sport bikes. The market Motus is going for worry about scheduling their jet, not a $400 a month car payment. Recently the CEO where I work referred to $20K as “weekend money”. Starting to see the difference between them and us?

2. I think Motus forgets the other high end bikes people keep talking about have built-in markets and support groups and aren’t really valued for function. You can ride your Desmo-16 or Confederate to the right location to show it off, the ride will be short or the bike will be on a trailer so actually riding the bike isn’t a big deal. I doubt the average D-16 or Confederate owner rides a thousand miles a year, sport touring bikes are are ridden tens of thousands of miles a year. A sport tourer is very function oriented. A sport tourer needs to be ridden to make sense, its value comes from how it works, looks and sound are secondary.

3. Speaking for myself, I can’t understand why anyone would pick sport touring as a market niche. It was never a big market segment and seems to be shrinking, not growing.

Maybe I’m wrong, it would be the first time, but I join the people who don’t think Motus will be around long.

Hopefully in the right place this time,

Goose

3. Alan says:

looks like my old ST4S

4. Goose says:

Add valve configuration to the sound list. Modern engines (smaller port, high velocity 4-valve heads) have a higher pitch than older designs. To some ears, mine being an example, the poor power producing older designs produce a mellower, more appealing sound.

A couple of guys in my area have flat head Lincoln V-12s, both original and post Ford versions. Terrible designs from a performance POV but they sound fantastic.

Ever hear a Ducati “Due” and a “Quattro” run together? I prefer the 2-valve sound, I’m guessing the Motus will also sound great. Too bad the rest of the bike is an over priced mess.

Goose

5. Guylr says:

I’m impressed by this bike but considering the price I find the squid racer Akrapovic can stickers and red valve covers to be out of place. I think the bike would look far better with plain brushed alloy mufflers and maybe black crinkle paint on the valve covers. For 30K you just don’t want to look cheesy.

6. Gandalf says:

kThe ‘Walmart’ mentality of cheap-cheap and cheaper has infected this country and it’s uninformed masses. People tend to set a preconceived value on a product based on ‘their’ idea of what a product should cost.

A startup company knowing that they are producing a specialty bike that doesn’t have mass appeal is forced to amortize enough of it’s investment quickly if it wants to stay in business, unless it is very well funded. The price may not seem justified to you but it obviously is to MOTUS, who has more information.

I also think that the ‘retail list price’ is too high but who pays list price? I am on my ’69th’ street/ adventure/cruiser/ dualsport/ touring bike and I have never paid list price. Currently I am riding JAP bikes, a Suzuki C109R 1800cc cruiser and a Honda NT700 sport touring bike and between the two, thay were discounted by $9,000+ from list price.

The JAP mfg’s have amortized their products, plants and distributing centers many, many time over, so they ‘can’ afford to undercut others prices and satisfy the ‘Walmart’ enabled.

As has been stated, within a 60 mile radius, I can see $37,000 Harley dressers, $25,000 BMW’s, $15,000 Triumph’s, $20,000 Victory’s, $27,000 Goldwings etc-etc and the all sell well.

In Agri-farm country, in the mid west, every $50,000 4×4 pickup finds a home!

If we wait a few years and MOTUS is still in business, I would be willing to say that the price will be down to the $20,000 range. Drop the fancy suspension, seat, luggage, etc and it may be $15,000.

7. Kerry says:

This pricing is just silly. It’s based upon Motus’s costs of production driving the retail price, not a price derived from the utility and value it brings to the buyer with a reasonable profit margin commensurate with the motorcycle manufacturing industry tacked on. It’s just…… silly. But good luck with that Motus. They’ll sell some, because there are people that dont frankly have decent common sense about what something is worth. Ever see a $200 t-shirt. I have…. at Neiman Marcus. They sell a few. Then 6 months later NM is selling those same t-shirts for $40. Most of Motus’s pricing is based on what they NEED to get for them…. sure there is some exclusivity. But so silly is this. What can someone possibly DO on this bike that they couldn’t on practically any other decent sport tourer??

• Reinhart says:

You are absolutely right! Pricing is based on what the bike must sell for or they close their doors. Period.

8. Todd says:

It Looks like a unfinished Honda ST1300.

9. vato_loco_frisco says:

I like the way these bikes look but $31K for even the lower-spec model is a bit steep. Hopefully Motus will go over both models with a fine-tooth comb before releasing them to the dealers. If these bikes aren’t sorted, or suffer from reliability issues, Motus is sunk…

10. fastwin says:

Comparing this bike to a BMW GT is ignorant. The only thing they have in common other than 2 wheels is engine size. For the editor to suggest other wise is stupid. This bike has almost no compitition. It’s price and exclusivity alone dictate this. You can compare stats and hp all you want, but if I roll up on this baby all eye’s are on me. If they were 12k everyone would have one. This bike is surely not for everyone. 36 grand says so.

• Podantius Maximus says:

Calm down there big baller shot caller. Since you’re so loaded and all why don’t you go start your own motorcycle news website where you group bikes by price instead of capability or intended purpose.

11. Butchy says:

I’ve been following the Motus story, even heard several interviews with the founders. They are working their asses off and I give them lots of credit. But in my mind, we don’t need another American made motorcycle that no one can buy. Unless of course you want a cruiser…and those things are way overpriced in my opinion, very boring too.

The barriers to entry are too great to compete in the ST market. Existing companies already do the sport tourer very well, if not perfectly. The visionaries at Motus built *their* dream bike, not the one most Americans want to buy (in volume anyways and only time will tell if I’m wrong).

Here’s a sexier idea for an American bike company, one that has yet to be dominated by any brand of motorcycle: Build a new $5-7,000 cafe-style bike. Here’s why you do that…so the motorcycle enthusiasts *add* a bike their garage for bombing around on. Let them have their FJR or BMW for trips and commuting. Supermotos sort of do what I’m proposing, but they are too hard to ride for a lot of people. The Motus bikes try to “make too much sense” or none at all. Go the other way, Motus. Build a hot, affordable, American fun bike that regular Joe’s can afford. They’ll be everywhere vs. in some CEO’s garage waiting to be ridden along with his many other toys. My 2 cents.

i’m pretty sure i’ve pointed this out before, but it bears repeating. the desmosedici basically averaged $70 grand OTD and over 20 were sold in just the state of texas. i know of at least 5 within a 3hr radius of where i live and i’m nowhere near texas…?!
    don’t know what any of this means, but it sure sounds like you can buy anything you want when you have a “valuing” mentality…?

• mickey says:

Bet they don’t sell 20 of these in Texas. Ducati has a loyal following and name brand recognition. Modus has neither.

13. bicep says:

Motus should just up sticks and sell their bike in Aus. Seriously. $36K US is like $35.5K AUS. Every US made motorcycle is overpriced here. A HD Fatboy goes for about $35K AUS (not the CVO version, just a stock standard with some factory extras). And it sells~! And it’s not like the economy is that good over here either. I ride a metric because I can’t afford a HD.

My sense is that the people who can afford this bike aren’t hob-nobbing on this bulletin board. They are out making money.

I really do wish Motus well. I’d love to see another American motorcycle company succeed. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that sales take off and prices come down.

15. mickey says:

Considering the median average yearly family income in this country is $46,000 give or take I would think this would take some REAL creative and disciplined financing to purchase one for the average joe.

As to the kick ass sound … maybe one of you mechanical types can explain this to me…why would this v4 sound any different than the v4 in my ST 1300 if I put ackrapovic exhaust on the ST ?

This thing is absolutely not for the average Joe, what about that price tag would bring you to think that? That’s like complaining that a baby seat won’t fit in a Corvette. lol

Not that I know anything about the internal make up of the Motus’ engine but a few factors could be: V-angle, firing order, crank configuration, compression ratio.

16. ROXX says:

“If you’re dropping 15 large, you’ve got a healthy disposable income, and if you were even a little creative and disciplined, you could easily buy a $30k bike.”

Come clean with us Dave,
    you’re a politician as a profession right?

17. ROXX says:

I absolutely LOVE this bike.
    $30K is just too much.
    I wish them success but I think they would have done much better at $16-19k range for what you get.

• Chris D says:

Before the economy tanked, how many people spent $30+ grand on raked out 10 feet long choppers that can only be taken out on nice days and most only ridden 50, 60 miles?

And honestly, do you really think there is that kind of mark-up on these bikes that they could do a start-up company, do all R&D, get production facilities together and be able to sell them at $16-$19? Come on now.

18. Chris D says:

“Hellooo….McFly?” 110lb-ft of torque compared to 122. Probably more for the beefier version. And how much does the big Kawi weight… oh yeah 584lbs. And this weights what? Hmmm, 530lbs.
    So let’s do some calculating here. Less weight, more torque, close to same hp.
    So yes, it’s expensive. And the ZX is mass produced. Remember in the 19080’s the IROC-z’s and Mustang GT phase? What kind of car you got? IROC. ME TOO! Well the ZX is no doubt a powerhouse, it’s a Me TOO bike. You will never see some 17 year old who just got his license pull up next to you on Motus. Can’t really say the same about the ZX.

• Reinhart says:

Don’t think that 12 extra pounds of torque and 50# of weight savings is worth and additional 15-20,000 dollars. But go ahead and buy one if you think that it’s a great deal.

Get real.. That torque figure means nothing without context (gearing). The ZX14 will eat this thing alive in any race that allows the rider to start the bike. The ’14 is also $14-15k, well north of any kid’s paper route money.

Unrelated, the first captcha below contains a work with no alphabet letters in it. WTF…

19. desmolicious says:

The Motus really should be compared to the new Kawi ZX14. Just put the same GIVI bags and Sargent seat on it and there is very little difference. Want to upgrade the ZX14’s suspension? Send it to Traxxion Dynamics.

So what is the difference here? Both have the same chain drive. The Kawi costs $20,000 less. The Kawi also offers a much more powerful motor (dynoed rear wheel at about 200 hp), traction control, anti lock brakes.

20. Reinhart says:

“and an upgraded powerplant that makes 185 hp, in case 165 hp is too weak for you”.

Hellooo….McFly??? How about a 200 hp ZX-14 that will blow away the Motus for less than half the money, with a network of dealerships in case you need service or spare parts? Sure, they’re going to sell a few Moti(?)and then probably disappear in a couple of years. I would like the Motus to be successful and not just a niche bike for the guy with a money tree growing in his backyard, but it seems almost impossible for an American company to offer something other than a V-Twin for an affordable price. Also, I would would venture to add that the VFR1200 is probably a much better all around motorcycle for a lot less money and can be had for a discounted price since they are overpriced at less than half of what the Motus is selling for. MOTUS = NOTUS

• blackcayman says:

Hp is only half the game – the 122 lb ft of Torque has a lot to do with performance especially in SPORT-touring. Also the Kwaker is Made in Japan (like every bike I’ve owned) but to some Made in America is a Big Deal – Think HD selling all that old iron….there is a market for this bike.

• Donnie says:

Glad I’m not the only one that thought of the ZX-14R when I looked at the price. $30 large would be enough to turn the ZX-14R into an outstanding sport-touring bike.

Or, another way to look at it, you could get a Concours 14 with some goodies to make it more comfortable(risers, peg extenders, so on); get something along the lines of a Yamaha WR250X for commuting, and a Suzuki GSXR 750 for those days you’re in a sporting mood.

My take? $30,000 is a TON of mods for my ZRX 1200R :D

21. rg500gamma says:

OK, how many lawyers, dentists and middle aged corporate officers will buy one of these? That’s the question Motus should have asked upon inception of their business plan. This is as boutique as MV Augusta, only without the brand recognition.

Motus’ competition consists of the current liter+ ST machines, principal among them Concours and VFR (the BMW is a barge and the Honda itself is hardly svelte), so you have to ask why one would pay the premium for a Motus given the other bike’s specs? Exclusivity has value only when there’s brand recognition.

• Sam says:

Agreed. Motus has decided to become the Confederate of the sport touring world. You’ll see pics of Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise riding these things in the pages of People Magazine. But you won’t see any regular Joes on them.

re: “Exclusivity has value only when there’s brand recognition.”

you’re forgetting to ask, brand recognition relative to whom…? bottom feeding motorcyclists…? or wealthy car collectors…? rest assured guys like leno, seinfeld, carolla, and almost anybody you can throw a rock and hit at barret-jackson know who Pratt & Miller is. what’s $40 grand to all those guys paying millions for 60’s era muscle cars…? the money’s out there and it’s conspicuous. try not to confuse OUR not having it, to mean OTHERS don’t have it.

22. MGNorge says:

Like most here I’m sure the price tag is what jumped out the most. No matter how good, how versatile or nice sounding, they better have built in enough margin into their pricing to stay afloat. They won’t be doing it on volume!

23. Brandon says:

I agree with Dave. What is it that makes the curmudgeons show up here. Have the nay-sayers here actually seen the bike in person, sat on it, listened to it run, or sat down with Lee Conn to find out how this bike came to be? Lee and his crew managed to achieve their goal here to nearly 100%. Only very few things were left off the standard equipment list from the original plan but they completely succeeded in producing a powerful, good handling bike that is comfortable to ride all day. That really was the target and they did it.
    Also Lee is a rider like (most) any of us here. He’s not just some corporate guy with tons of money to throw about who thinks bikes are cool. He’s been riding for a long time and motorcycling for him is a passion. That’s the guy I want to have designed my bike.

Yes it is out of the price range for a lot of riders.. but some people do buy expensive machinery if it is worth it. You know Goldwings aren’t that much less expensive than these bikes at 23k to 29k and they’re everywhere. Plus Motus isn’t out to sell tens of thousands of these a year. They will be making small production runs and low volume always makes the cost more. Down the road as they sell more they will certainly come down in price but they are also sourcing as many parts for this bike as they can from here in the US so that does tend to add a premium too.

Everyone’s certainly going to have their opinion but having sat on the bike, listened to it run, and talked with Lee about the bike and how it came to be I believe it’s a fantastic deal for the asking price (even though I can’t afford it myself). I’m personally very proud of them and how they are demonstrating that America CAN build a bike that rivals (or exceeds) it’s Japanese and European counterparts.

Great Job Motus!

24. Phillip Daulton says:

Makes no less sense that the $30+K CVO Harley, or the Indian line, or any of the ridiculous choppers, Boss Hoss c###, etc. Somebody is buying that stuff.

25. Mr.Mike says:

I think this is a fair price for a boutique brand. After all, Harley Davidson is charging $37,249 for their CVO™ ULTRA CLASSIC® ELECTRA GLIDE.

I am very happy to see an American manufacturer enter the market with something other than a cruiser. If they can build a solid enough business selling to well-to-do customers who value exclusivity and performance (they are definitely out there) Motus might be able to expand their model range with more affordable offerings for the rest of us.

26. George says:

Expensive for sure but that exhaust ruins it for me.

27. Mike Simmons says:

I wish them well. I’d like to see a US company succeed in building a bike that is not a Harley wannabee. However 30K is a bit steep for a pushrod bike with a chain drive…. time will tell…..

28. Tim says:

95% of motorcyclists won’t be able to afford to own one, but 5% will. Some of them will think it looks like poop, some will think it’s really sexy. There’s probably a viable market for the bike provided it doesn’t have some basic flaw such as a propensity to roast your legs from the heat radiating from the headers and engine.

29. Dave says:

Why is it that every eCurmudgeon on Earth hangs out at this site? If you think this bike is over-priced, please feel free to manufacture your own 165hp built-in-us with a motor and chassis of your own design and let us know what the amazing low price is after you bring it to market. Cripes.

These guys have spent _A LOT_ of money and effort bringing this to fruition, and they’ve come up with a very cool result. It is simply not realistic to think that this kind of thing can be done and the result will compete head-to-head with the established OEMs, especially right away. I mean, Honda has yet to build a S/T bike that can hold a candle to the Concours or the FJR imo, and, well…they’re freaking Honda fer crissake.

I’m stunned that Motus can do this bike for this price, and I’d be even more stunned if they’re making any profit at all initially.

Nicely done Motus…very cool.

• GuzziBob says:

I’m an eCurmudgeon but being able to say I have an American made superbike that looks, sounds, goes, and handles like this thing should, well that might be worth 31K. I use the term superbike because of 165hp and what has to be some of the best torque around.

• Bud says:

hear hear!

• Garak says:

Totally agree! I have to imagine that most of the naysayers on here haven’t been involved in engineering/production at all. It’s an expensive process, and the fact that they’ve made it to market in the toughest economy in recent memory tells me they have the backing to do this right.

• blackcayman says:

+1 !!!! GEEZE!

• mudnducs says:

Well…I hope you guys put your money where your mouth is. I’d love to see them succeed.

30. jon says:

30K = game over!!

• Pat says:

I agree with Jon. That is just too rich for the motorcycle market, this bike will go the way of the dinosaur soon. Too bad, fantastic bike. But the base model should have come in closer to $21,000.

• Chris D says:

How is it game over? Have you looked at Ducati lately? The 1199S is $28k. Most dirt bikes…yes bikes that are ridden in the dirt and crud and rocks and are dropped more frequently than your keys in the morning, are going for $10 grand.

Don’t fool your self. There is still a ton of money out there, and yes, some of them are bike enthusiasts. These guys are going to sell everyone they make. I bet they sell out before production even really begins.

• blackcayman says:

think EBR…he is selling 30K handmade bikes

• jon says:

it’s game over for reasons of price compared to other touring bikes on the market and the huge lack of dealer base. Also the risk of the unknown — reliability being number one and I wouldn’t drop 30k for a bike company that might be around for two or three years. you can’t compare the price to a company like HD, that is 100% a different market.

31. Dean says:

All the other bikes that are cheaper, all come with some complaints…

American made, light, powerful, capable, exclusive… That’s a lot of bases covered, and that costs money. The “Sound” of that engine? My brother has a V-Max, and I am jealous every time I hear it! Think old-school muscle car.. Nothing else like it!

Lottery bike? You bet! Reality bike? I’m thinking I need to get down to Springfield MO and check this out…

32. mudnducs says:

damn…35 grand…for a bike…..really?

33. Stratkat says:

i totally get this bike and why the pricing is so high. they are basically hand made.
    its totally different then anything out there and made right here, top of the line components.
    i want one, but its too much for me right now. hopefully they will be successful and maybe in the future come up with a model thats more affordable for the masses. if it were 20k id seriously consider it, i think it looks great by the way. very excited for these guys!
    even at 30k they are cheaper than Confederates and much more useable in the real world.
    Confederate has some great designs but they are uncomfortable and use Harley clone engines.

34. Mark P. says:

These bikes will be going the way of the dodo very soon.

35. Tom R says:

Building a decent American sport touring bike is only half of the answer. The other half is the price. $36,000? It might as well cost a million-almost nobody can afford the thing.

They may as well have spent the investers’ money developing a really swell electric dog polisher or gasoline-powered turtle neck sweater.

BS. Anyone who can afford to spend $15k+ on a bike can afford to spend $30k…it’s just a matter of priority at that point. A brand new $15,000 motorcycle is 100% luxury. Anything you buy at that level can be duplicated for all practical (we’re talking about ‘affording’ here remember)puroses for $4500 or so used. If you’re dropping 1 large, you’ve got a healthy disposable income, and if you were even a little creative and disciplined, you could easily buy a $30k bike.

If it were $75k I’d agree with you. At $30k you’re talking about priorities, not affordability. This isn’t a family car or a work van, it’s a motorcycle.

I meant 15 large, not 1 :)

• Gary says:

“Anyone who can afford to spend $15k+ on a bike can afford to spend $30k …”

So is it also true that anyone who can afford to spend $500k on a house can afford to spend $1 million?

That is some mighty tortured logic, my friend.

Doubling $15k is not the same as doubling $500k and a motorcycle is not a home, not even remotely.

My point: motorcycles are luxury items for 95% of people in the US who own them. For people who spend $15,000 on one, 100% of them are a luxury, as there is absolutely nothing about a $15k bike that will get you to work, or perform whatever non-luxury duty your bike is doing, that can’t get done just as effectively for 1/3 of that price. Therefore, IMO we are talking 100% about disposable, for-fun income here when we’re talking about these bikes.

Here are a few theoretical transactions for you that IMO are very plausible for someone who is in an economic situation to be buying a $15k bike…

1. Person saves up all of the money and pays $15k cash for a bike:

A. Put the $15k into the bank (interest negligible sadly), for 18months.
          B. Save up an additional $5,000 over that time. That means depositing $65/ week into that account. I am taking as a given that if you can truly “afford” to drop $15,000 on a luxury item, you can squeeze out the $65. If you can’t, then I submit to you that you can’t, in fact, “afford” the $15,000 bike in the first place.
          C. Trundle your thrifty self down to the Motus dealer with $20,000 in you pocket, and finance the other $10k. At 7% interest (that’s what my local bank is getting right now if you have good credit for boat and bike loans) your payment is $200/month on a 60 month note. This, you might notice, is actually considerably less than the $65/week you’ve been saving.

2.This would be me… Ok, My current car is hitting my budget for a $450/month payment, and I’m about done paying it off (2 years early). I was planning to buy a new-ish European sports sedan at some point over the next year, and my payment would be about $380 if I did so (after selling my current car). This budget gain was going to be my wedge to buy a new C14 (probably). Instead…

A. My car only has 65k miles on it. It is many years away from not being reliable enough to maintain, and to trust in getting me and my family around. I’ve decided to keep it.
          B. In three months, I’ve got the car paid off, and I will have saved up about $6k that was going to go towards my next car. Instead, I’ll be putting the $450/month that was my payment into that account until May 2013. This means I’ll have a little under $12k in the bank at that point. I’ll kick in the extra to round up.
          C. Ima gonna trundle my thrifty self down to the Motus dealer with the $12k in my pocket, and finance the other $18k. My payment on a 60 month note will be about $360…hey, that’s almost $100 less than my current car payment! My budget just got a break due to me buying a $30,000 bike! I can’t wait to pitch this to my wife…

I stand by my point, but I accept that I shouldn’t have been so absolute. I’m sure there is a subset of people who can scratch out enough money to buy a $15k bike, but that’s the limit. I’m saying that if that’s you, then you can’t actually afford the $15k bike. You should be buying an 8 year old FJR with 40,000 miles on it and saving/paying down debt to get in a better spot.

With that in mind, I’ll revise…

The _vast_ majority of people who define the market for a $15,000 motorcycle could, if they wanted to, extend their reach without much difficulty in order to buy a really interesting, limited production, hand-made-in-the-US motorcycle.

• blackcayman says:

HD buyers sacrifice everything to buy their 30K chromed vibrating rattle-traps. Its about priorities. Sell your Infinfi G37S and buy a used 5000$ Altima and get the Motus – if you really want it

I didn’t see this…you just said the exact same thing I said, in approx. 21,400 fewer words. I guess I need some “budget” work too :)

36. desmolicious says:

Let’s cut to the chase.

The Motus is not a pretty bike.
    And it needs to be gorgeous to sell at $35K.

Seriously just look at it. if you did not know it was a Motus, nor who the mfg was, and was asked to guess the price.. Especially with bits like standard Givi luggage?
    I’d say, not knowing the mfg, that I was looking at a $15K bike. Tops.

20K mile chain? So what, I’ve got over 25K miles on my original chain and sprockets on my bike.

Only rich people, really rich people can afford a toy like this. But the thing is rich people want their toys to get attention, and look like they cost a lot of money. This does neither.

re: “So here’s the question for you: is $31,000-plus too much to pay for what sounds like the sport-tourer American riders have been requesting for many years?”

only if you’re one of the country’s many billionaire cheapskates.

38. Reinhart says:

Too bad this American company can’t design a bike for around $10,000-%15,000. Big, torquey engines are nice, but I don’t think it’s worth an extra $20,000. So it sounds nice you say? So does a Ducati, a Triumph Triple, a Harley etc….for a lot less dough. To each his own, I guess.

39. Garak says:

For a limited production volume, hand-built machine with that level of performance, absolutely worth the price. I don’t happen to have that kind of money at the moment, but if I was in that market, I wouldn’t regret buying one. It’s not really more than what people spend on something like an ElectraGlide, and you see lots of those on the road.

40. Bud says:

It looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing where they go from here.

41. Dave Joy says:

Can you seriously say that a motorcycle is worth $36000! If I were very rich or I had just won the Lottery, yes, I might splash out on a bike like this (just to say I can!)
    but really for us regular Joe’s a sport/tourer from the top 6 manufacturers can take us around the world in speed, comfort and reliability; which this motor has yet to establish.

42. Dale says:

I’ll be surprised if they don’t sell a bunch of them.

43. Walt says:

For that $$$$ the heated grips and seat could at least be standard on both models!!!
    Most sport/tour buyers want the clean low maintenance shaft drive, with that hp you could give up the 1 or 2 hp off the wheel that a shaft may steal.
    I’ll wait to see the new Triumph Trophy and liquid cooled BMW1200RT. I’m in Canada so if I want to buy “local/domestic” it has to be a Spider.
    Looks like a lot of heat would be on your legs from that engine and pipes, I thought push rods was old school, read HD. Looks like a Duck crossed with a Moto Guzzi with Givi cases.

44. Zach says:

Nice but I would buy a VFR instead

45. mickey says:

Dayum …sport tourers for corporate types. I thought my ST 1300 was pricey but this thing costs twice as much …and that’s for the cheapo version. I wish them well. Pretty bike though. I’m 2 hours frm the louisville dealer, maybe I’ll ride down one day his summer and have a looksee in person.

For that kind of money I can buy a ZX10 (or 14) and a Concourse.

47. Fuzzyson says:

Are they frickin’ kidding?????? $30k for that? “Sounds kick ass” SO WHAT!

Maybe Leno can afford to buy one but the average working guy sure can’t.

re: “Maybe Leno can afford to buy one but the average working guy sure can’t.”

welcome to the niche business of motorcyling. right now a light bulb should be going on.

• blackcayman says:

well…consider how many HD buyers drop 20-25K on their bikes and then add 5-10-15K in chrome…its all about priorities. I would love to have one but out of 15 bikes only one was new – so maybe in a few years I can pick one up for 20 with 10K miles on it.

48. randy says:

Really cool bike,unfortunately I could only afford 1/2 of one.

49. Steve says:

I wonder how close your knees will be to those exhaust pipes?

• Brandon says:

Not as close as it would appear. I’m 5’8″ and my knees were no where near it. My friend who was with my is 6′ and he was in no danger of burning his kneecaps either. :)

50. sliphorn says:

All right, then. I was hoping for a lower price. I wish them well.