Three new 500s for the 2013 model year were announced by Honda this morning, including the CBR500R sportbike, CB500F naked and CB500X adventure. The three models share frame and mechanical elements, including an all new 500cc liquid-cooled, parallel-twin DOHC engine with four-valve heads. This modern, fuel injected powerplant is counterbalanced.
Each of the bikes has a steel tube frame designed to be both light and rigid. A single 320mm front disc brake, and 240mm rear provide the stopping power. The suspension is largely non-adjustable, with only spring preload changes available in the shock.
Each of the models is available with optional ABS brakes. The CBR500R comes in at a claimed curb weight (fully fueled) of 425 pounds. The other models are within 5 pounds of this weight.
Below is the full press release for the CBR500R, and it generally applies to the other models from a chassis/engine standpoint (the CB500X has slightly longer fork travel). U.S. MSRP for the CBR500R is $5,999, and it will be available in black, red and a white/blue/red combo. Take a look at Honda’s web site for additional details.
With the introduction of the all-new CBR500R, Honda boldly redefines the middleweight class and infuses a whole new level of excitement for sport riders in search of superior value along with great fun. The CBR500R delivers plenty of performance to all sport riders, including riders moving up from the sporting, entry-level Honda CBR250R, as well as more experienced riders who will appreciate the CBR500R’s light and nimble handling. Credit its thoroughly modern, torquey 500cc parallel-twin DOHC engine that’s wrapped in a great-handling chassis featuring a full fairing spawned from Honda’s much-acclaimed CBR600RR and CBR1000RR sportbikes. This aerodynamic bodywork also provides significant advantages in air management for added rider comfort, along with a low drag coefficient and effective engine cooling. A sophisticated chassis with Pro-Link® single-shock rear suspension, stout 41mm fork, sporting 17-inch wheels and a 320mm wave-style front disc brake and 240mm rear disc help round out a package that looks as good as it rolls.
Features and Benefits
- Sportbike riding position keeps the rider balanced in a dynamic seating stance that’s comfortable and efficient.
- All-new 500cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin DOHC engine is thoroughly modern in design and produces a broad power spread for enjoyable and economical riding.
- Four-valve cylinder head design uses lightweight rocker-arm valve actuation with shim-type valve adjustment.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) continuously monitors several variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture is delivered for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions for crisp throttle response throughout a wide variety of riding conditions.
- Engine counterbalancer and 180-degree crankpin reduce engine vibration for superior rider comfort.
- Preloaded, scissors-type gears for the primary drive and engine counterbalancer gears help reduce engine noise.
- Diamond-shaped 35mm steel tube frame is lightweight and rigid for responsive sport handling.
- Stout 41mm front fork with 4.3 inches of travel returns a plush yet controlled ride.
- Sophisticated Pro-Link single-shock rear suspension offers nine-stage spring preload adjustability and 4.7 inches of controlled travel.
- Lightweight cast aluminum wheels, 120/70-17 in front and 160/60-17 rear, return sporting feel and handling traits.
- Front 320mm wave-style disc brake and 240mm rear provide strong stopping power.
- ABS version available for enhanced braking characteristics in less than ideal conditions.
- Instrument display features speedometer, tachometer, odometer/A&B tripmeters, fuel gauge, clock, mpg, average fuel consumption, and current fuel consumption.
- Modest 30.9-inch seat height helps build rider confidence.
- Standard model available in Black, Pearl White/Blue/Red or Red. ABS model available in Red only.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
Honda Genuine Accessories†
- Sport Screen, Color-Matched Passenger Seat Cowl, Carbon Fiber-Look Front Fender, Carbon Fiber-Look Lower Headlight Cover, Carbon Fiber-Look Rear Tire Hugger, Carbon Fiber-Look Tank Pad
† WARRANTY: Because we’re so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Genuine Accessories, we’re pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.
Final accessory list TBD and subject to change without notice.
Model: CBR500R / CBR500RA
Engine Type: 500cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin
Bore and Stroke: 67.0mm x 66.8mm
Compression ratio: 10.7:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with 34mm throttle bodies
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized with electronic advance
Final Drive: O-ring-sealed chain
Front: 41mm fork; 4.3 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link single shock with nine-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Front: Twin-piston caliper with single 320mm wave disc
Rear: Single-caliper 240mm wave disc
Optional Honda ABS
Wheelbase: 55.5 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 25° 5’
Trail: 103mm (4.05 inches)
Seat Height: 30.9 inches
Fuel Capacity: 4.1 gallons including 0.7-gallon reserve
Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD
CBR500R: Black, Pearl White/Blue/Red, Red
Curb Weight*: 425 pounds (CBR500R) / 429 pounds (CBR500RA)
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.
**Miles per gallon values are calculated estimates of fuel consumed during laboratory exhaust emissions tests specified by the EPA, not during on-road riding. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride and maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, cargo and accessories, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.
Meets current EPA standards.
Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.
Specifications subject to change.
©2012 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. • All Rights Reserved