Two years after Japan saw the introduction of the retro CB1100, and after two years of drooling by middle-aged American males, Honda is finally bringing the CB1100 to the U.S. market. Aggressively priced at just $9,999, we suspect early units will be snapped up quickly.
Despite the retro styling and the 1140cc air and oil-cooled inline four, the big CB has plenty of modern elements. These include fuel injection and four valve heads, along with dual disc brakes up front squeezed by four-piston calipers.
The period-correct 18 inch wheels are shod with narrow 110 section front and 140 section rear tires.
We hear the CB1100 makes massive low end power for a satisfying pull away from stop lights. Only five speeds are needed to make the most from this powerplant. The U.S. will only get the Candy Red color for 2012.
Take a look at Honda’s web site for additional details. Here is the full press release from Honda:
For many riders, a motorcycle with a timeless look retains its own special place in the sport—and that’s what the CB1100 is all about. Better yet, with this bike it’s not just about sleek lines and a purist approach: check out the powerful 1140cc air-cooled DOHC engine that harks back to so many classic high-performance Hondas. The twin-shock rear suspension and 18-inch wheels build on the classic bike theme while still delivering sporty performance, and the powerful, thoroughly modern triple-disc-brake setup offers the option of ABS. There’s also the dual-overhead cam layout and four valves per cylinder for superior engine breathing, Honda’s sophisticated Programmed Fuel Injection for the latest in accurate fuel metering and consistent power production, plus more contemporary touches. All these modern highlights complement the CB1100’s timeless style to create a fresh category of motorcycle that’s just right for the times.
Features and Benefits
- All-new 1140cc air-cooled DOHC engine generates impressive amounts of midrange power plus a smooth, sophisticated feel for a rewarding riding experience.
- Timeless styling and ergonomics for a relaxed, open seating position and excellent versatility for all kinds of street-riding environments.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) continuously monitors numerous variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture is delivered for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions. Net result: remarkably crisp throttle response over a wide variety of riding conditions.
- Stout 41mm fork is adjustable for spring preload.
- Classic dual-shock rear suspension system features spring preload adjustability.
- Dual front 296mm disc brakes with powerful four-piston calipers plus a rear 256mm disc brake provide strong stopping power.
- ABS version available for enhanced braking characteristics in less than ideal conditions.
- Sweeping four-into-one exhaust system is both aesthetically pleasing and remarkably functional.
- Low seat height of 31.3 inches makes the CB1100 especially rider friendly.
- Lightweight and efficient chain final-drive is in keeping with the classic styling theme.
- Classic fuel tank shape, handlebar bend, instrument pods, taillight configuration and more are evocative of early Honda four-cylinder bikes that helped establish trends in motorcycle styling.
- Available in Candy Red.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
Honda Genuine Accessories†
- Heated Grips, Heated Grips Attachment, Rear Carrier, Tank Pad, Chrome Meter Cover, Chrome Headlight Case, Gold-Color Front Fork Adjustment Bolt
† WARRANTY: Because we’re so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Genuine Accessories, we’re pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.
Final accessory list TBD and subject to change without notice.
Model: CB1100 / CB1100A
Engine Type: 1140cc air- and oil-cooled inline four-cylinder
Bore and Stroke: 73.5mm x 67.2mm
Compression ratio: 9.5:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 32mm throttle bodies
Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
Front: 41mm fork with spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Rear: Dual shocks with spring preload adjustability; 3.5 inches travel
Front: Dual four-piston calipers with full-floating 296mm discs
Rear: Single-caliper 256mm disc
Optional Honda ABS
Wheelbase: 58.7 inches
Rake (Caster angle): 27.0°
Trail: 114mm (4.5 inches)
Seat Height: 31.3 inches
Fuel Capacity: 3.9 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve
Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD
Color: Candy Red
Curb Weight*: 540 pounds (CB1100) / 549 pounds (CB1100A)
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.
**Miles per gallon values are calculated estimates of fuel consumed during laboratory exhaust emissions tests specified by the EPA, not during on-road riding. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride and maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, cargo and accessories, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.
Meets current EPA standards.
Specifications subject to change.
©2012 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. • All Rights Reserved