Anticipating Suzuki’s 2014 V-Strom 1000: Another Look At The Concept

It is no secret that a redesigned 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 is on its way … the only question is just how closely it will resemble the concept shown by Suzuki last year at INTERMOT. We suspect it will closely follow the concept when the production model is unveiled this fall in Milan. So here are more photos of that concept, along with information about the expected production spec.

Expect a thoroughly redesigned 1000cc 90 ° V-twin engine (with a huge spread of torque and north of 100 crank horsepower), new, narrow and light aluminum chassis, upside-down fork, radial-mount front brake calipers with integrated ABS (a big improvement on the old braking system), adjustable traction control, and 19-inch cast aluminum front wheel. Suzuki has also carefully designed luggage, including a top case, that will keep the bike narrow in comparison with the competition.

We expect Suzuki will try to undercut the price of most of the large displacement adventure tourer competition, and pitch the new V-Strom as a lighter, more nimble and economical alternative. Indeed, there appears to be a gap between the middleweights displacing roughly 800cc, and the now-common, pricey 1200s.

Here is what Suzuki is saying about the concept in anticipation of the 2014 model’s release:

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Concept Key Features

Strong, rider-friendly Engine:
A totally redesigned, liquid-cooled 1000cc V-twin engine produces effortless acceleration along with a strong V-twin rumble.

Lightweight, well-balanced Chassis:
Slim and lightweight aluminum frame, thickly padded seat and an adjustable windscreen provides an easy, comfortable, and fun to ride character.

Brake and Suspension:
Performance-inspired radial mount front brake caliper with Antilock Brake System provides riders confidence in braking on various road conditions. The V-Strom 1000 Concept also features an inverted front fork and an easy to adjust single shock style rear suspension.

Distinctive Styling Design:
Inspired by the 1988 DR750S-Suzuki’s first big on/off-road machine-the V-Strom 1000 Concept features bold and distinctive styling to create an unmatched presence.

Advanced Traction Control System:
Suzuki’s advanced traction control system is equipped for enhanced sport riding, performance, and the peace of mind to negotiate slippery surfaces with confidence.

Luggage System:
An all new luggage system was designed and tested in harmony with the big V-Strom’s overall development. The luggage system provides easy installation, a narrow overall width when installed, and a clean look when detached.

Here is a link to a site Suzuki has set up where you can register to receive updates on the 2014 V-Strom 1000. It is an Italian site (let us know if you find a similar site in English).

1. Michael H says:

This should be a pretty interesting bike to ride. It has a lot of things right. The snoot, though……I dunno. Maybe I’d like it if some aftermarket source made upper dentures to put on the thing, just for fun. On the other hand, I don’t much care how a bike looks when I’m riding it, and the ride is good.

I hope Suzuki makes a café racer version.

What? Too soon?

2. mickey says:

Do you have to wear the official ADV outfit..you know… dirt helmet, 3/4 length jacket, and motocross boots even if you only intend to ride this on the Highway?

3. ben says:

this is awful and takes the bike in the wrong direction. I own a 2005 DL1000. would not buy this new bike, based on its hideous appearance and street biased running gear

• mk says:

Dont lie to yourself. Once you see it in person and take it for a test ride. You’ll wonder why you didn’t trade it in any earlier

And your DL1000 didn’t have street-biased running gear?

4. Tom R says:

At least it doesn’t have tank seams!

5. Vrooom says:

Don’t like the beak, that’s why god made tools. Cut it off. I’ve owned 3 stroms and they’ve been crazy reliable for me. Better forks and brakes sound great, same gas capacity is fine, more power sure, but don’t add any freaking weight!!! If they can meet those hurdles I’m a customer. Honestly who gives a crap how it looks, it’s how it rides that counts.

• slipjoint says:

I understand your point, but for me looking looking at the bike before and after the ride is a big part of me keeping it around. It may ride and work great but ugly just won’t cut it for long. Just like picking a spouse. Suzuki could sell a lot more of these with by developing this into a seperate model with all the same running gear, frame, suspension, and brakes, with just the ugly taken out. Market it as a standard model with very little in development costs and you can sell to the anti-beakers. I won’t buy a new bike just to start hacking.

• starmag says:

+1. The ability of a bike to get me to turn around to look at it one last time after I park it is a way under-rated factor of ownership.

re: “Just like picking a spouse.”

thank you. i was just about to go there.

• Rennie says:

I’m with you. My ’02 Tiger 955 is hardly attractive but it is the best riding bike I’ve owned in 40 years.

6. George says:

one word: FUGLY!

Why does everyone think an adventure bike needs a beak? That is a stupid thing to have as it serves no purpose except to increase wind drag.

Adventure bikes are NOT Goldwing touring bikes for dirt.

Adventure bikes are supposed to be simple and capable of going anywhere. See the original R80GS…

re: “Adventure bikes are supposed to be simple and capable”

you’re probably correct, but unfortunately “simple and capable” doesn’t sell. remember once upon a time, motorbikes USED to be simple and capable, but with each passing year we (joe consumer) demanded more, bigger, better, faster.

none of this was the manufacturer’s idea. they’ve simply been responding to OUR demands. they would just as soon stamp out the same bike year, after year, after year, like so much nin250 or Vmax.

• George says:

Norm, I don’t think it is in response to consumer demand. It is more due to the manufacturers always pushing “new and improved” so they have something to sell.

If they can’t argue the new bike has some new widget, then they loose their main selling point…

Then there are also those that want motorcycles dumbed down so they require no skills to “drive” them. I hope that never happens but I see people riding motorcycles all the time that have no business riding them. They keep making better idiots so I don’t think motorcycles will ever be remotely idiot proof.

The squillions of GS’s sold over the past 30 years would support Norm’s assessment: It is market driven. Yes, manufacturers test “new and improved” ideas out all the time. If the market responds, then new and improved becomes the standard. If not, it goes away.

With respect to the R80GS, it seems “simple” because it is a 30-year-old bike. When introduced, however, it was cutting edge and probably being slammed by guys like you for being so complex and heavy compared to real adventure bikes like their Honda 175′s. :-) Anywhere the R80GS could go I guarantee you this V-Strom could go while doing it faster, more comfortably, more safely and more reliably.

re: “It is more due to the manufacturers always pushing “new and improved” so they have something to sell.”

tail wags the dog. i know, it’s ugly. it’s not human nature to accept that WE are actually the source of our problems, but it’s true. kneejerk behavior is always to first point a finger externally.

re: “Then there are also those that want motorcycles dumbed down so they require no skills to “drive” them.”

no doubt, and the wise men have a name for them. they’re called “the minority”.

7. Dave says:

Going by the amount of comments on this article, I would guess Suzuki will sell a bunch. I’d consider one if the seat height is the same as my wee.

8. paul A says:

I see mandatory drug testing at Suzuki in the near future.

9. BlackCayman says:

I think they should call it “The Black Mottled Frizzle”….which is a rare Japanese Rooster.

Just because the BMW GS sports a beak, doesn’t mean every Trailee needs one. The Tenere looks great without one

• Tom R says:

And BMW continues to sell about 50 GSs for every Super Tenere that Yamaha sells….

• Joe Bogusheimer says:

That could be because the Tenere is overweight and underpowered compared to the GS, at least in my opinion. Really, it is both heavier and less powerful than the GS, which is a serious detriment considering that it doesn’t have the advantage of that all-important blue and white roundel. OTOH, it probably won’t frag it’s rear drive like the BMWs have been known to do.

• BlackCayman says:

Tom, you aren’t really saying BMW sells more becasue of the beak are you?

whoa whoa whoa guys, the gs does NOT sport a beak. that thing is a fully 2-dimensional upper fender. :) it has a measurable length and width (L x W). it might actually be able to block a rock or 2.

• Tom R says:

Probably not. I guess I have just grown accustomed to the look. When the upcoming KTM 1200 was recently shown it seemed to me that something important was glaringly missing. It took a little while to realize that it was totally beakless, no doubt intentional by KTM so as to NOT have something resembling a Beemer.

I agree that the feature can look a bit weird, as it does on the Suzuki.

• Tom R says:

I just looked at the new KTM again. It may not have a “beak” per se, just a bit of a jutting chin.

no fenders allowed in the “cool” races like the Dakar or the Baja.

10. Craig Jackman says:

As a K3 V-Strom 1000 owner, I’d buy this … IF;
    - Suzuki fixes the clutch
    - Gives us 100 horse at the rear wheel
    - Right saddlebag doesn’t have a giant chunk taken out of it.
    - Air filter access that doesn’t require removal of the fairing and gas tank.

I like that they’ve upgraded the brakes and suspension over existing. I love that I would no longer have to take half the bike apart to change rear brake fluid. Actually LESS windprotection would be an improvement over current buffeting. I also like that it’s an ugly bike. Hell, make it even uglier! It would keep those that don’t know riding Harley’s or GSXRs, and thieves looking for the same.

• Joe Bogusheimer says:

GMTA. Suzuki should look at what Yamaha did on the S-T in terms of the exhaust, which doesn’t eat into luggage space.

Also be nice if the bike’s handling was solid and predictable up to its top speed.

-V-Strom Ry

• Vrooom says:

Why would the right saddlebag has a huge chunk taken out of it? I’ve owned 3 Stroms, all with full sized bags on both sides. It’s the 650 that has a single sided exhaust, the 1000 has dual exhausts? I agree on the airfilter, though most bikes I own have an identical setup, excluding my KLR. Never had a clutch problem, put 140K on one without replacing the clutch.

11. mk says:

Dat BEAK!!!

re: “Expect a thoroughly redesigned 1000cc 90 ° V-twin engine”

i’m going to go out on a limb and say DON’T expect a thoroughly redesigned 1000cc 90′ V-twin engine.

• MGNorge says:

Gee Norm, couldn’t you be a wee bit more uplifting?

As far as “slapped together hack jobs” go, to my eyes the adventure bikes with the aluminum side cases look that way to me. They appear as though someone strapped on a pair of tool boxes and are far from looking integrated. To each their own though.
      Other than the color scheme I don’t see too much out of line for this sort of bike. The real proof is how it will go about its business. That’s the true measure of its worth.

i should rather say, the only justification for the expense of a complete redesign of this engine is if it were having it’s capacity increased to 1200…? ie. same as all the other players.

if it were going to stay a liter, you only need sort the weak bits and save a ton. fwiw, gobert won a SBK race with kit.

as the southern gals would say, that thing looks a hot mess…

see, here’s your second example of misguided corporate decision making at Suzuki (the first would be the lagging SBK effort). the adventure category is hot property, yet have you seen a more slapped together, hack job…? yeah, me neither.

the v-strom faithful know they can do WAAAAY better than this, but how can you when “tons of funds” are being spent on a ne-er-do-well grandprix effort…?

14. Joe Bogusheimer says:

The beak – whatever. Don’t really care for it, but it’s an adventure bike so it’s supposed to be kind of ugly anyway.

The fairing – appears to offer less wind protection than the current model, which is a step backwards in my opinion.

The luggage – looks like the right side bag will have a big chunk taken out of it by the exhaust canister. Current V-Strom setup may result in a rather wide bike with bags, but does allow pretty much any desired luggage to be installed, i.e. Givi, Jesse, etc.

The engine – let’s hope they can coax a more competitive amount of power out of it. 90 RWHP just isn’t quite enough from a liter bike, IMO.

Still, I’d be interested, if the price is right.

• Starmag says:

Excellent point about the luggage. Too bad they don’t try an over-the-rear-wheel centered exhaust as seen on some race-replicas.

15. Jeremy in TX says:

I am surprised they stuck with a chain drive for this segment, though it may imply that Suzuki intends to target the middleweights directly rather than try to be an in-between alternative between the two displacement categories. I like the bike overall. I am interested to see what it costs and how much it weighs.

16. Vspec says:

Needs a spoke wheels option and then perfection is acheived!

17. Starmag says:

Suzuki’s 650 and 1000 v twins are both good looking , great performing, great sounding motors. I’d love to see more of the motor in the bikes these come in though. If John Britten can make a good performing frameless design that showed off the motor, why can’t Suzuki? In just the ADV category alone it would be a true innovation and set Suzuki apart from the crowd, to say nothing of being lighter.

18. c w j says:

It’s not often you see a design that has obvious influences without being derivative. I’ve read others go on about this concept, and this is my first time really looking at it. I must say that I agree. If so were to have bought a 2013 Strom 650, I would be upset that it did not look like this concept. I also think that the headlight design shown here is the better evolution of the one used on the Gladius or Versys.

I think it could be used as the basis for a new familial design across the street models.

19. Buckwheat says:

No sale for this prospective bike buyer for one reason only: chain drive. Also it’s kind of ugly. Okay that’s two reasons.

20. Tom R says:

Very close to perfect. Rectangular and practical luggage please, a bit bigger windshield, and keep the beak!

21. ApriliaRST says:

This is a bike I’d much sooner buy than any of the Euro competitors. Less money, better dealer coverage. I think the bike is rather handsome and I love the beak. Part of the fun of this style bike is how much this styling cue offends certain segments of motorcyclists. I like it when I come outside after stopping on my KLR to find a Harley rider or two circling my bike scratching their do rag.

• Stratkat says:

wow the second like! you like your motorcycle to look like a bird?

• Tom R says:

Yes, yes! Beaks are cool!

accidental yes, but not when one deliberately goes out of their way to sculpt and shape it that way. then it’s just a goof.

actually, if you take a flintstone thumb (like i’ve got) and cover over the appendage in the right side view, the kit looks entirely sane.

22. Man Relish says:

out of the 20+ bikes i’ve owned, my vstrom 1000 was my favorite, sans the front brakes. I welcome this new addition and will probably buy on given Suzuki’s reliability record.

23. Austin ZZR 1200 says:

ok, to be fair, the Multistrada (what this bike emulates in certain ways)is much better-looking in real life so I imagine the ‘Strom to be as well. The beak is really my only criticism and the rest of the bike is cool. Plus, this is still a “concept”, perhaps there’s time for rinoplaste before production.

If spec is good and priced reasonably, I will get this bike, red chicken beak and all.

24. allworld says:

I am not much a fan of the adventure touring bikes, this bike seems to fit right in with the rest of the pack.
    AD bikes are like the SUV’s of motorcycles, and I just know most of the riders won’t even ride them in the rain………..
    I would like to see something a little more creative in this field of bikes, perhaps a dedicated single passenger only bike, so the truck doesn’t look like some type of misplaced appendage. With so few of them actually being used off road perhaps they could lower the seat height a tad……….. Anyway it is nice to see Suzuki redesigned the V-Strom and it’s powerplant.

• BlackCayman says:

these kinds of bikes make great two up rides, the strong – comfortable suspension travel being the largest contributing factor. So no manufacturer is going to make it a solo seat only bike. You turn it into that when you buy it – That’s why the BMW GS comes with a two piece seat.

• Joe Bogusheimer says:

No to the lower seat. There are plenty of bikes out there that fit those who are 6′ or under comfortably – most sport bikes and sport tourers, actually. Those of use who are longer of leg like these bikes for the greater leg room they give us – at least, that’s a big part of why I’m riding a V-Strom – got tired of having my knees folded up at too uncomfortably tight of an angle to be comfortably on longer rides.

25. Nick says:

For all the negative comments about the “beak” on these types of bikes, it’s become so commonplace that I rather see it as part of the look. I don’t really mind it. Similar I guess to BMW’s odd pairing of two dissimilar headlights on some of their bikes. When I first saw those it seemed all wrong, just wasn’t standard practice, but now, I don’t mind so much.

• Stratkat says:

BMWs while having their own thing going on there have always looked too odd for me. with the exception of the 1000RR which is beautiful, not sure where that came from…

26. Starmag says:

This seems like a really great bike if I hold my thumb up on the side view to cover the plastic on the front. There’s tons of quick release aftermarket fairings available, why not let me chose my own? Better yet, how about a factory optional quick release fairing that works well , that when removed is small and flat enough to fit in a saddle bag. Yet another example of a well engineered bike hindered by it’s “styling”. I’m suprised we haven’t heard of a “revolt of the engineers” yet. I guess the marketing dept doesn’t think it will sell in this class unless it looks like a GS. Personally I’d take this motor over a boxer anyday.

27. Stratkat says:

yeah, and im being serious here… whats the deal with the ‘beak’? why has it become a generic element on adventure bikes? i dont understand, its been excepted by multiple brands.
    is it functional? the only comments ive read on multiple forums have been negative, yet i really havent heard people defending it. and why havent KTM used it in their design. if it has a function, surely they would use it no?? i for one, as i have stated many times on this forum in fact, find it hideous…

28. Jamo says:

I like the engine size. 90 degrees, like a Duc. And 1200 is to big, so the size is right. Less is more. That goes for gizmos as well. And price. Fewer gizmos is better, please, especially if I have to pay for them.

A top case can be helpful, but first let’s get the saddlebags right. Those bags look like touring bags, a Concourse’s bags. We want adventure bags.

But I want a flat, long range seat. I don’t want to sit on my dangly bits for 600 miles. That’s why I don’t want a BMW. BMW seats are gawdawful. Unrideable. This motorcycle tries way too hard to emulate a BMW.

And definitely, no beak. It’s a deal breaker.

29. paul A says:

This bike looks like it is going to want to go south every winter.

30. ABQ says:

The V-Stroms have been established as a very enjoyable brand. I bet that this model will do as well. I just wish that somebody would make a model of adventure bike that was designed for us short people.

• Hair says:

It’s fairly easy to lower these bikes. Most times since the bike was based upon a road bike design, they handle much better when lowered. Which is an added benefit. The current model of V-Strom has proven it’s self as a very reliable daily rider. They have an issue with a weak clutch. But other than that it’s a great bike.

31. JBoz says:

Why – especially with a 1000cc twin! – do we need ABS and traction control? Are we really terrible riders that need electronic’s to keep us safe? Good God – what ever happened to throttle control, trail braking & technique? With ABS & throttle control, just wack the throttle open and stand on the brakes – the bytes will take care of you.

Thanks but no thanks.

re: “do we need ABS and traction control?”

yup, you must be saved from yourself.

no seriously, it’s a “value added”. and contrary to what people talk about regarding MotoGP, electrics are dirt cheap to implement. it allows them to compete in the segment, and affords the manufacturers a profit margin. ya know, the profit margin that allows them to stay in business, but we conspire 24/7 to try and block them from having.

32. Ross says:

DON’T DO THE BEAK, SUZUKI.

33. GP says:

I like it as is. I bought a new DL650 and I really like it. The one thing I would want (on both the 650 and the 1000) is better weather protection. Sure, the aftermarket will rush to develop taller and wider windscreens, but there is nothing like having weather protection engineered into the design.
    A long range of adjustability of pegs, seat, and bars would also be a nice feature.

34. Zammy says:

Yeh the beak …HACKSAW PARTY !!!
    Maybe they took time to fix the KNOCKING clutch basket…Bankrupsy may help hire cheaper labor.

• JBoz says:

Zammy!

• Nick says:

Bankruptcy was only in the US car business, nothing to do with the motorcycle end of things. It allowed them a smoother path when leaving the market.

• Zammy says:

Yes it did indeed close motorcycle plants world wide and about 20% of US dealerships so far …Suzuki won’t tell you they are in deep Doo doo but bankruptcy is …well…bankruptcy.

35. slipjoint says:

OK I give up, under that beak, handguards, radiator cover and other junk is a functional and possibly good looking bike. Just make it esy to pull all that junk off, and get a clean look without re-enginnering all the details once the covers are removed. You could re-sell them easy enough when adventure riders need parts after their last adventure on a 1 liter dirt bike.

36. Bicep123 says:

No shaft drive? Styling doesn’t turn me off that much, but no shaft drive is a deal breaker for me.

• Gary says:

Say you’re in the middle of the Atakama Desert. Do you think you’d be more likely to be able to fix a broken chain, or a broken driveshaft?

• bicep123 says:

Point taken. Since I’ve never had a chain or driveshaft break on me and I’ve never ridden in a desert, I can’t comment. However, every time I’ve ridden on unsealed roads with a chain driven motorcycle, I’ve had to spend an hour post ride cleaning the chain. Sealed shaft drive, I just hose off the dirt. 30 seconds.

37. Wendy says:

A nice, rectangular top loader saddlebag is great. An oddly shaped, sorta rectangular bag, not so much.

38. Pat says:

You’re kidding me Suzuki, right? Some sort of strange joke you are throwing out there, with the whole bird beak and all? This will probably be a great bike, with a great price, so the production unit will undoubtably look really cool, right?

yes, this bikes only saving grace will be it’s price. it’s sure to be to cheap. this bike reminds of BMW’s r1200st. with a face only a mother could love, motorrad put that thing out of it’s misery also.

39. frostbite says:

What The ???? – This thing would get lost in the barnyard with the rest of the CHOOKS – What the hell is wrong with these bozo designers …. The only thing that might be ok is the engine – and even that isn’t a flowing design – Way to much like a bloody TRANSFORMER ROBOT for my liking …
    SORRY _ NO SALE !!!
    frostbite.

40. Mr D says:

Ummmmm…Will Suzuki offer a snout eliminator kit? I feel like I should offer it a cracker or sunflower seeds. Otherwise very interesting.

re: “Will Suzuki offer a snout eliminator kit?”

gives the term “SNORKLECTOMY” a whole new meaning.

41. Donald says:

I don’t think there should be a law against it, but I’m all for a rule that motorcycle designers should have to wax their creations before they are release into the wild. This design is way to fussy with decoration containing hard to detail edges and too many of them. A mess in my opinion.

• Gary says:

I know guys who would bitch-slap you if they ever caught you waxing the ABS of an adventure tourer. Just sayin …

That’s not a beak. More like the clasper of a great white shark.

43. Azi says:

Looks like adventure bikes are turning into the Universal Generic Motorcycle of this decade. They even share the same front wheel diameter of the 70s UJMs.

44. smithe says:

Looks like BMW GS and Triumph XC had a kid! I like the looks of it except for the luggage, which looks horrible.

45. skybullet says:

“Lightweight, well-balanced Chassis” is the key element for me. Lightweight compared to a R1200GS won’t get it. Lightweight compared to Yamaha’s new FZ-09 (say 25 lbs more for the extra displacement and adventure tourer configuration) and I am REALLY interested.

46. sliphorn says:

Enough with the beak bikes!

47. BoxerFanatic says:

Maybe it is just because I was a Hawk GT owner… but I am kind of liking the spar frame, over a 1000cc/100hp V-twin engine.

Now if only there were an SV1000S variant with this new frame and engine, with good suspension parts, and an aluminum single-sided swing arm.

I can’t bring myself to be enthused about a big road bike trying to be a dual sport. Not a R12GS, not a Multistrada, or a V-Strom.

I want my road bikes to actually be good looking, sportier-than-a-car, real road bikes. Not race replica, though, either.

R1200S, Ducati SS or Sport Classic, and SV1000S… real road bikes.

48. Gronde says:

Looks just like Woody Woodpecker from the side.

• harry says:

eh eh eh eh eh……eh eh eh eh eh……eh eh eh eh eh…… eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh.

49. Austin ZZR 1200 says: