Yamaha Unveils 2014 FZ-09 850 Triple

When Yamaha displayed the Crossplane Triple concept at INTERMOT last year, it made it clear that a three cylinder bike was headed for production.  That bike was revealed in private to a group of journalists here in Southern California last week (you can see me sitting on the bike at the bottom of this article).  It will be known as the FZ-09 when it hits dealers in the U.S.  late this year (the same bike is called the MT-09 in Europe).

The FZ-09 is a small, light and powerful 847cc three-cylinder with a remarkably low U.S. MSRP of $7,990 ($1,400 cheaper than the less powerful Triumph Street Triple, for instance).

The new FZ-09 engine features even, 120 degree firing intervals, together with unique, unequal length intake funnels.  It has four-valve heads and fuel injection, as well as a relatively short stroke (78 mm bore and 59.1 mm stroke) with an 11.5-1 compression ratio. The transmission is a six-speed.

Ride-by-wire throttle and Yamaha D-Mode, which allows switching between three throttle-control maps for different performance characteristics, is also included. A counter-rotating balance shaft keeps things smooth.

U.S. Yamaha representatives would not give us a peak horsepower figure, but Yamaha Europe is quoting 115 bhp at 10,000 rpm.  We were given a peak torque figure of 65 foot/pounds, which should arrive at 8,500 rpm.

When we sat on the FZ-09, it felt very small and light (see pictures below – for scale, I am 5’11″ tall with a 32′ inseam).  Claimed wet weight (with 3.7 gallons of fuel) is 414 pounds, meaning that the claimed dry weight would be in the neighborhood of 390 pounds, or less!  On paper, this is an awful lot of torquey engine in a lightweight package.

Speaking of torque, as the table below indicates, Yamaha’s technical specifications indicate the FZ-09 will have 30% more peak torque than the Triumph Street Triple, for instance, while the Yamaha weighs just a few pounds more than the Triumph.  Having just stepped off the Street Triple, the FZ-09 should be mighty quick at real world speeds and rpm levels.

Both the fork and shock are adjustable for preload and rebound. The riding position is very upright (very much like a supermoto or dirt bike). I had just tested the Triumph Street Triple, which is a very narrow motorcycle at the footpegs and the knees. The new FZ-09 felt narrower, in part due to deep scallops in the fuel tank.

Yamaha’s FZ8 is being discontinued. Comparing the old 800cc inline four with the new FZ-09, the FZ-09 is less expensive, 53 pounds lighter (with wheels that are nearly a pound lighter) and more powerful. Progress, indeed.

The United States press launch for the FZ-09 will be held in approximately three months. We expect to be there, and we can’t wait. Here are the specs published for the identical bike in Europe, the MT-09, as well as additional photos. You can also visit Yamaha’s web site.

Engine

Seat height

815 mm

Wheel base

1,440 mm

Minimum ground clearance

135 mm

Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank)

188 kg / ABS 191 kg

Fuel tank capacity

14 L

Oil tank capacity

3.4 L

Easily flat footed with a 32″ inseam.

1. Starmag says:

I have no doubt she’s great in bed, but you might want to bring a bag.

2. Craig B says:

Power Delivery of the yamaha triple is going to be great. Can’t Wait to pick one up.
    Sliming this engine down to a parallel twin would blow Honda 500′s off the road, a true 564cc with the weight reduction could compete /w the 600′s really well, with that compression ratio. Prior to the small displacement race, the whole industry seemed very stagnant and hasn’t accommodated a new generation of motorcyclists, this yamaha would be a great upgrade into a new all round bike. I agree /w Tom R. a sport touring version would be fantastic.

• GuyLR says:

+1 on the 564cc(600)Twin version. It could easily make around 70hp. Give it a 270 degree firing order and a sub 400 pound wet weight and they’d have an instant middle weight hit that I’d buy.

3. Anubissl says:

I like this. Personally I’m a cruiser fan. I was excited when the bolt came out, but I do love the triple engine as its a good middle ground between the v twin torque that I like and the holligan fun t be had on an i4. that said I’m still hopeful that in time this bike and its soon to come offshoots will be the forerunners for yamaha to eventually bring out an updated version of their old XS triples. the lazy bugger in me likes the hassle free maintenance of shaft and belt drives. But I would definitely ride the hell out of this bike until then

re: “then go read what everyone has to say about your plastic encrusted, overweight, underpowered efforts to woo “new” riders.”

honestly, I don’t/can’t fault Honda for attempting to increase the fold. that’s the good. unfortunately the bad is, while they play “mad scientist” engaging in all manner of experiments, the dealer network are the ones who get “taken for a ride” (pun intended).

10yrs ago…? sure, you could get away with that. the 2013 market however is almost unrecognizable. building the new NSX in Marysville and business jets in Greensboro doesn’t have dikk to do with a franchisee keeping the doors open in Phoenix. if you want to experiment…? great, do it on your time. meanwhile, there are contractual business agreements to uphold.

• MGNorge says:

The proof will be in the sales. If this Yamaha pushes most all the right buttons for prospective buyers then the proof will be in sales. Now’s the time to put up or shut up. Rather than casting stones in one direction and bursting with accolades in another, I think it’s past time that people start buying.
      Case in point, it would seem from the many posters here that KTM has it mostly right and yet I don’t seem to see a proportionally greater number of them running around. Time will tell Norm. My guess is it doesn’t cost Honda much (comparatively) to bring the CTX to market but I’m sure they feel there’s enough there to make it worth their efforts.

re: “I’m sure they feel there’s enough there to make it worth their efforts.”

no doubt. they’ve just missed the critical step of inquiring with those burdened with the task of SELLING them. for sure, a lotta bachelor degrees and masters degrees at Honda corporate, but apparently not a single salesman or business owner…? currently, new motor vehicles (not yet anyway) aren’t purchased like books and mp3′s off amazon.

This Yamaha is incredible for it’s performance/dollar ratio and I think has the potential to kill 600cc sportbike sales all by itself but this is a small market and it’s all been done before. Continuing to do it will not necessarily grow the motorcycle market.

We should applaud Honda for what they’re doing. They trying to bring in new riders with reasonably priced, less intimidating motorcycles like the ones that made them the biggest motorcycle maker in the 70′s and 80′s. If what they’re doing works it will raise all boats and we’ll get back to a place where everyone is making bikes like this Yamaha for the “real” motorcycling enthusiasts out there.

re: “I think it’s past time that people start buying.”

hear…! hear…!

• jake says:

Everyone knows the big dog in motorcycling is Honda and this will not change for the foreseeable future. Come back in 10 years, and we will see how much a Honda dealership is worth compared to a Yamaha’s or any other Big 4 brand. Honda is so big and so confident in its abilities that does not feel as constrained by market forces as the others are and so it feels free to concern itself with other things than the mundane task of maximizing bike sales or business profits.

Honda knows it can do anything it wants anytime it wants – the Honda dealership owners more than anyone else ought to be aware of this. So the Honda dealership networks as whole are probably safe. Times might be tough now, but surely, Honda will make sure to release enough attractive products to keep them afloat while it is off with its more long term, esoteric concerns.

5. Caribooster says:

How about a 850cc Tenere, now we are talking Adventure…!

6. Superlight says:

It’s just OK. The MV Brutale 800 costs more, but also delivers more style and performance. The Japanese have yet to design a bike that looks truly integrated.

I very much prefer this look to MV’s in most cases. MV’s are full of unneeded elements. Too many facets, too busy.

• red says:

“cost more” ?? massive understatemen, nearly twice as much. Also I agree with Dave, the MV is gaudy. Yam looks cleaner. In fact the more I look at the new fz-09 the more I like it.

• Yoyodyne says:

According to Cycle World the MV is $11,999 vs. $7,999 for the FZ-09. 50% more is a lot, but it’s hardly “nearly twice as much.”

7. Rocky V says:

Dirck
    my comment about being a 1200 to replace my Zrx has nothing to do about weather my bike could hang with this one–i’m sure the zrx has a lot more low low and mid range -
    I love my Zrx – and two up it never breaks a sweat -i love torque – and a Zrx has about 80

I love this Yamaha being a triple – i still have an H2

i would like to see Yamaha make a small version of this bike to go head to head with the Kawasaki 300
    and like i said a 1200 triple — i’m buying that

• Dirck Edge says:

I fell in love with the ZRX when I tested it years ago. Very different bikes, but I understand about that big effortless wave of torque from big displacement. This new Yamaha is a different beast, but it should have impressive torque characteristics for its engine size.

re: “it should have impressive torque characteristics for its engine size.”

power/weight or in this case torque/weight. the zed’s a biggun.

ZRX 80/544 = .14
        FZ9 60/414 = .14

well blimey, by the power vested in me, i declare the yam a match for the kaw…! :-O

note, this even after subtracting out (-5) for drivetrain losses regarding the FZ, assuming the number given is at the crank.

• BlackCayman says:

power to weight – what a concept

• Tom K. says:

Good sentiment, but bikes don’t ride themselves – add a two hundred pound guy to each and re-calculate, the ZRex still has at least a 10% advantage (does ft*lbs./lb” reduce to “foots”?) Plus, it isn’t the torque peak, but the “area under the curve” that counts with torque when it comes to “rideability”, and if I remember correctly, the Kawi’s curve is as flat as my seventh grade girlfriend (before you retort, I was in seventh grade, too). I really like the Yammie, but you’ve gotta give credit where credit is due, the Z-Rex was known to be a torquey barstard – beats me why Kaw never updated it with some version of the big Ninja’s powerplant.

• sl says:

I agree, a1200 with a modest price hike is what I’d spend money on. If they do, I want torque to be the focus not horsepower. We can already triple most posted speed limits. I want a road bike. I already have a high strung ride which will soon be getting the track time it deserves. Also, yamaha, when you build it give 150 miles on a tank, a windscreen option, and a luggage option. Something fun around town that can be dressed for a trip. All this said keep, style consistant with this model. I am in the market for a 2015, that’s what I want to buy.

8. johnny ro says:

Lets not worry about the tail. Its begging to be cut off.

This is a very interesting bike at a nice price. Great motor. Suspension might not suck like on cheap bikes. Not much in the way of cockpit.

I await Kevin Cameron’s explanation of the unequal intake runners.

Looking forward extremely to some review rides here.

Is it made in Japan?

9. Michael H says:

It might be time to short the MV Augusta stock you’re holding.

10. Motorhead says:

Wow, what a price!!! There is absolutely no reason to complain about that price. But if we take off the covers, will there be tank flanges? If so, then what about tank flanges? Deal-breaker?

re: “Wow, what a price!!! There is absolutely no reason to complain about that price.”

and yet there will be billionaire cheapskates complaining about the price. they have no idea how good they’ve got it over the europeans (even without this price). cheap fuel, cheap bikes, no VAT, no restricted kit, and no tiered licensing. yankee doodles… living the dream.

11. Ballistic Billy says:

This bike is an aftermarket windshield away from perfect.

• Black cayman says:

I’d rather a half faired version from the factory…but Yes, to sped a day on it some wind protection would be great!

12. david says:

Impressive spec sheet with affordable price! But ugly headlight, tail section too high, small gas tank, and no center stand? I like V-max style air induct on both sides. Seat height at 32″? Narrow profile should help reaching the ground better. The whole package is attractive. I can see my 900cc will be in the market very soon to get space for this one!

13. David says:

Hellooooooooo…..Honda….Anybody home?

Yamaha has it right on. Should be a very versatile engine to power several different kinds of bikes in several different sizes.

Er.. CB1000r?

• MGNorge says:

Again, the previous Hondas shown are not meant to appeal to the same crowd as this. Glad you like what Yamaha has wrought but I doubt you or most others here are noobs. Now, let’s take this bike, or anything remotely similar and put a new rider on it! Can you imagine what may happen?

re: “Again, the previous Hondas shown are not meant to appeal to the same crowd as this.”

correct, Yamaha builds bikes for the sighted, not the blind.

re: “Now let’s take this bike, or anything remotely similar and put a new rider on it! Can you imagine what may happen?”

i reckon prolly the same thing that happens when trust fund babies go out and buy a busa II (cash) because his “friend” told him, naw dude… you don’t wanna buy a 600… you’ll just get tired of it.

ps: having said that last part, the seat section does look an awful like it was meant to have one of those “stunter for life” foot bars installed on it.

14. Jim says:

I like the way Yamaha is thinking here. Honda, not so much. The new Yam looks like might make a great replacement for my CBR250R for commuting. Also looks like it might do double duty for spirited rides in the twisties, allowing me to convert my CBR1000RR over to track only. At $8,000 it’s definitely worth considering.

15. Austin ZZR 1200 says:

Love it. Would even buy it new at this price. I even like the styling nod to the V-max

16. falcodoug says:

Nice!

17. Dale says:

I’m surprised at the number of comments. The Truimph Daytona 955i (A
    Great Bike!) convinced me that Triples are Cool. This new Yamaha will certainly get a good look.

18. The Other Tim says:

This looks very good and I’m excited to see what other bike grow from this engine. The possibilities are almost endless. I’m sure they will sell as many as they can make. Sorry Honda, I think your days or leading the Japanese powersports companies has past.

YAMAHA IS THE NEW HONDA.

re: “Sorry Honda, I think your days or leading the Japanese powersports companies has past.

YAMAHA IS THE NEW HONDA.”

took the words right outta my mouth. Honda better thank god they have thai production and the 500′s and 250′s to crow about.

• Gary says:

Actually, Kawasaki is the new Honda, and for the last two years. But I must admit, this Yamaha is a h*ll of a lot better than that goofy looking Bolt.

re: “Actually, Kawasaki is the new Honda”

gimmee a call when k-heavy gives the motorcycling masses the gift of a completely novel engine config like Honda did in the 20th century with the CB750 K0, then furusawa/Yamaha did in the 21st century with the grandprix M1 and the production R1. don’t get me wrong, at the core I bleed green, but these are hall of fame contributions… stuff for the history books. not everyone’s going to make it in.

• Gary says:

What I meant by the new Honda, is that Kawasaki has been number one sales wise over Honda the last couple of years. Honda has for quite some time been the biggest manufacturer with the most sales overall. No more. NONE of the Japanese manufacturers however have taken the bigger leap and are pretty much stagnant in new designs versus the Europeans and even some others. Japan is only now starting to wake up a little, but they have a ways to go.

• Yoyodyne says:

Honda is creating new markets, Yamaha is exploiting an existing one.

Let’s give credit where credit is due-Triumph did all the heavy lifting establishing the market potential of triples, and specifically the viability of a slim, torquey middleweight with upright ergos (aka the Street Triple).

The Street Triple has been Triumph’s best-selling model for the last few years and Yamaha (wisely) took notice and produced a competitor with more power and a lower price.

So kudos to Yamaha, I think the FZ-09 looks like a fantastic new bike, but lets not get carried away-right now Honda is on a roll and it is doing more than any other manufacturer to bring new customers into motorcycling.

• Ken says:

To be historically correct, Yamaha developed and sold a triple in the late ’70s, but Triumph marketing definitely made the right moves in launching their version.

• Yoyodyne says:

The Yamaha triples (XS750/XS850, 1976 through 1981) were not big sellers (nor was the Triumph Trident that preceded them, for that matter).

Triumph realized in the Nineties that it had an opportunity to differentiate itself from the Japanese competition and strengthen its brand identity by committing to Triples, and it has enjoyed considerable sales success because of that long-running commitment.

• goose says:

Actually, Triumph built a lot of four cylinder bikes in the past, remember the Trophy 1200 and Daytona 600? All they should get credit for is noticing the triples sold and the fours didn’t.

• John Bigboote says:

I think the concept of a Middle-Weight “Street-Fighter” was what was meant more thant the # of cylinders.

19. Dale says:

Fabulous. All the right specs. Reminds me of a Buell Lightning. Gotta be well balanced. I am amazed at the price point. Seems $500 – $1000 too low.

• jake says:

Either that or bikes before were simply priced too high. My guess is the later. The Japanese sold their bikes for more in the past because they could. Now that they can’t, they are selling them for less. It’s just that simple. I’m sure they are still making a profit from it. Heck, they could probably cut another thousand or two off the price, and they would still be in the black, if they so desired.

20. Artem says:

I suppose this is not Dirck Edge motorcycle.

21. ducatidon says:

No more new naked bikes for me (sob). The giant catalytic converter is just too ugly to stand and the heat it puts out will probably be unbearable in the desert in summer. I’m tired of skirting the law and putting up with the added expense of changing out the muffler on every bike I buy. Back to cars (convertables).

22. 2old2ride says:

Well, it looks like my ’05 FZ6 will go on Craigs List about the end of August. That should give me time to decide on the black or the red. They realy need a faster blue, after all, that IS the Yamaha color. It looks like it has “the Blob” Mark II. What is it with Yamaha and their fondness for illegiable instrument clusters? I shift by the seat of my pants (butt-o-meter) and Go as fast as traffic allows but traditionally motorcycles have instruments. Why add the weight and money for something that cannot be used?

23. kjazz says:

Looks great!! Looks fun!!

24. PN says:

Hey, I like it, though the side profile is not my favorite. I was interested in the previous FZ8, but I think I’d buy the coming version. I like the charcoal/electric blue color scheme. It needs a wind screen, but the price is fantastic. Way to go, Yamaha! I bet Honda’s wishing it priced the new CB1000 now at $8K rather than $10K. I was hoping Kawasaki would import the Europe-only Z750, but I like the new FZ8 more now.

Before the cb1000 came to the US it was doubtful that we’d get it at all because it was made by Honda Italy (dollar weak against the euro). Not sure how they even got it to $10k. If Yamaha is making money @$8k and made in Japan then everyone else has big problems.

re: “If Yamaha is making money @$8k”

and that’s one BIG “if”. i’d like to think that they are…? but YAM ain’t BMW and this is no S1000 stickering at $15,500 (ie. twice the price). admittedly, i’m baffled at how they’re doing it. (occam’s razor) the answer may very well be that they AREN’T doing it…? once the bikes are allocated, the dealers will be the ones to tell the tale.

25. TimU says:

Far better looking than that albatross of a Honda you showed last. But I just can’t stand the styling coming out of Japan these days. I don’t want a transformer. I want a motorcycle that looks like a motorcycle. Cartoons are for kids.

26. johnalex says:

I see a dual-sport version coming soon.

27. iliketoeat says:

It looks interesting on the spec sheet, but why does it have to be so freaking ugly? That frame is awful, and the whole thing looks like each part was designed by a different person, with a totally different design concept.

• jake says:

Aside from their sport bikes, the Japanese tend not spend as much time with styling as other manufacturers. With that said, this bike does look pretty good in black. The bike is styled better than a typical $8,000 bike from Yamaha. Clearly, Yamaha wants this bike to be a sales success with a low probability of failure, so they put a bit more effort into it than they usually do.

• Ken says:

To me, the more I look at it, the more I like it. It looks totally purposeful, rather than “styled” (except for the instrument panel).

• iliketoeat says:

The real test is seeing it in person, I guess. To me it doesn’t look purposeful, because it lacks the unity of form and function. There are all kinds of shapes that look pasted on and that don’t have a good reason for why they look the way they do. Can’t debate taste, though…

28. Michael_H says:

In order to please the members of this board, all Yamaha has to do is add a better seat, better headlight, bags, rack, different suspension, adventure version, 1200 version, different colors, lower the price and…….tank seams.

Poor Yamaha. They should just close their doors and shutter the factory. How they stayed in business all these years and sold all their porducts is a complete mystery.

• Yoyodyne says:

Best comment in this thread!

• John Bigboote says:

Nobody would dream of riding such a bike without an “Oscillation Overthruster”

• KevinJ says:

LOL!!! Michael_H hit it perfectly. I can’t believe all the things people find to complain about.

• Joe Bogusheimer says:

Well, to be sure, just about every new bike these days could use a better seat that doesn’t slope to the front and is actually designed with human anatomy rather than just styling in mind. Other than that I think it’s fine for what it is, but I do look forward to hopefully seeing some other models spun off this basic platform – surely Yamaha didn’t design this entirely new engine for just one model.

29. Brian says:

I like it so far… Can’t wait to see one in person… Sounds like it should be a fun bike..

30. Satoru says:

Maybe Fazer 700 and this bike?

31. Satoru says:

It will be interesting to have this and TDM850!

32. Doug Miller says:

Excellent chance that I will purchase this bike to replace my 796. Looking ahead, should Yamaha decide to build aTenere based on this light torquey powerplant, I would like to submit my request to be placed at the top of the customer list. High quality and shaft driven please!

33. x-planer says:

It’s a Yamonster! I guess that’s what all the “brutal beast” in the ad speak was, a monster competitor. Nice looking bike. With those ergos and all that torque, these will spend a lot of time on the back wheel! Looks like fun. Almost a cool $1K cheaper than an FZ8 too.

Wonder what else they’re gonna put that “CP3″ motor into?

34. BlackCayman says:

This looks like a great naked “Do-Everything-Bike”. My definition of that is: Track days, Canyon Blasting and light duty touring with some soft bags.

It might be a great replacement for my 2003 SV1000 N as it has almost the same HP, less torque – but less weight (especially after dropping that boat anchor of an exhaust).

My only problem is I’ve moved away from a “One-Bike-Solution” – NOT A Problem Really…But I added an 08 GSX R750 for Track Days and short hops in the Canyons…so the SV is sadly going to be replaced (at some point) with something more comfortable for longer rides. Thanks to the fine community of riders here at MCD; I think I have settled for the time being on lusting after a white KTM SM-T. It will take some time to acquire the perfect used copy with low miles that has been a garage queen for some unlucky motorcyclist

All in all, I think Yamaha has a winner on its hands as the middle weight class seems to be heating up.

I could easily see them making several bikes off of this motor;
    a Half-Faired Street Focused Light-Duty Touring Bike with optional/removable hard bags (I know this one is a stretch)
    a Tiger 800 Competitor
    a Sport Version with fairings – but not a race replica
    a long wheel-based cruiser with forward controls and forward blob of bodywork with a shorty fairing and an automatic transmission (Sarcastic Jab at the ridiculous Honda).

35. BOSCOE says:

Yawn. Bit of a let down after the hype. And fugly too

36. dave m says:

Wow, I’m pretty excited, and it takes a lot to pump me up these days. I give it an 8.5. My bef with the bike is that Yamaha totally blew the seat/tail design. Looks VERY boring. Hopefully theres a factory solo seat option that spices it up a bit. But still, great performance bargain for guys who appreciate tq on a streetbike. Should be a nice little 1st and 2nd gear wheelie machine, provided it’s not electronically neutered. I guess we’ll find out!

37. RobbieAG says:

It looks interesting to me though I’d like to see an iteration with better fuel capacity and wind protection for touring purposes. No ABS is not a deal breaker for me but I would probably get it if it was available.

38. powermad says:

Very nice looking bike.
    I seem to recall Erik Buell defending the under the bike exhaust on the basis of mass centralization and that eventually it would catch on. Guess so.

39. GKS says:

I like pretty much everything about it except for the tail. The tail light/ turn signals/ license plate just hang out there in space. this bike is begging for a real rear fender, or at least a hugger.
    Also, unless I missed the part about it being a two-stroke, wouldn’t even firing intervals be at 240 degrees? Yes, the crankshaft throws are at 120 degrees, but the crank has to rotate twice for each power stroke. Unless it’s a big bang engine, but that isn’t even firing.
    In summary, it looks good and the stated numbers sound good as well. Yamaha may have a winner here.

re: “Also, unless I missed the part about it being a two-stroke, wouldn’t even firing intervals be at 240 degrees?”

yes, think of it as a multiple of 120. granted, while a piston has to cycle through 720 to do it’s job, the crank still dictates (come hell or high water) each piston will “lag” only 120 degrees out of phase from the one that preceded it. unless of course some monkey business occurs with the crank…? of which there seems to be conflicting information.

yam’s site throws out the “crossplane” moniker in the context of the FZ9, but then also says “even” firing intervals. but I see this as the same misnomer that occurred with R1. the specific 120 degree “chestnut” dirk provides (that yam conspicuously doesn’t mention) seems to support their even statement. and i’m sure dirk didn’t just throw that out there on his own, that info was given to him by blue shirts at the dealer meeting.

ps: not sure i’ll still be on board if this is anything other than a traditional triple. i’3′s were not a broken format in need of fixing.

• Kagato says:

Hey Norm, (if you see this) do you know if this scoot will have the same type of exhaust song as the Triumph triples? I want the “outboard motor from hell” sound ; – )

40. racerr88 says:

Sweet! Kind of retro to the Fazer 700. Great job Yamaha!

41. Joe Bogusheimer says:

I like. I’d like to see a half-faired version, too. Unfortunately that under-engine exhaust carbuncle will probably eliminate any chance of a centerstand, something I still consider essential for any bike that will get ridden a considerable amount. I hope there is at least provisions for swingarm stand spools (but I can’t quite make any out). I liked the FZ8, too, when I test rode one, although I couldn’t quite manage to get it to wheelie on power alone on the test ride.

42. red says:

Like everything about it except the smallish tank. I’m good with the styling. Would expect this to outsell the Honda 10:1. Maybe it will and they will snap out of it.

Not a deal breaker, but an extra gallon would make it right on the money. I understand “hooligan” but since it appears the ergos are otherwise there for an all purpose ride, could see slapping a small shield and some soft bags on and hitting the road in sport tour mode. that little tank hurts it there.

• Doug Miller says:

Agree on preferring more fuel capacity but early reports of good fuel consumption ( if true ) may indicate reasonble touring range. Hope.

43. Awesome-O says:

Finally the real SV replacement in a genuine package, and the price is fantastic! I was wondering if North American would get one, they revealed it yesterday for the world as MT-09.

re: “Finally the real SV replacement”

uh-oh, somebody’s talking reckless… STONE HIM…!!!

• BlackCayman says:

There may be some truth to it being a perfect Next Bike for all the SV-N riders who are ready for a little more power and torque. The questions remains is the handling; will it fall effortlessly into corners, accept line changes mid corner and handle with aplomb?

44. Gpokluda says:

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call a motorcycle.

45. Vrooom says:

Kind of sorry to see the FZ-8 go, but this does look like an improvement at a great price. Throw a small fairing and some bags on that thing and it’s the perfect commuter/sport tourer. At a price not much more (or less depending on model) than a single cylinder dual sport. Nice!

46. Lenz says:

This bike is absolutely a winner. No bullshit single sided swing arms, no high exhausts, low COG on the engine / transmission, low relative overall weight – excellent !

An additional 2 – 3litres of fuel capacity and a small headlight-surround only fairing would be also useful but this bike looks light, versatile and capable.

47. Ziggy says:

Finally!

48. mechanicuss says:

grandaddy approves. they will sell sheetloads of these.

49. Tom R says:

Great hooligan bike. Wheelie mongers will love this.

Would like to see a sport touring machine based on this concept. Tune for midrange power, add appropriate bodywork and panniers, ABS, belt drive, a proper seat, 5-gallon tank, and dials for the speedo and tach. Do that for $11,900 and they’ll have me in the showroom on the day it shows up.

50. Husafe570 says:

Honda.. Are you paying attention?

Read the overall positive responses on this bike, and then go read what everyone has to say about your plastic encrusted, overweight, underpowered efforts to woo “new” riders.

Of course the proof is in the pudding.. We will have to see how sale numbers stack up. They make what sells I guess, I hope everyone who claims to plan on buying this follows through. Otherwise the entire motorcycle market will be relegated to 50hp 600lb auto trans anime bikes..