Motus Unveils Production Models at Laguna Seca

072313top-i

072313side1

Motus used the U.S. Grand Prix at Laguna Seca as a venue to debut its 2014 MST and MSTR production models, which Motus claims will be available to customers through its growing dealer network beginning this Fall.

The unique 1,650 V-4 engine produces 160 HP and 125 foot/pounds of torque in the MST model (expected to retail for $30,975), while the MSTR gets 180 HP and slightly lower peak torque (price unknown at this point).

These are not your father’s sport tourers. Each model has six speeds and a high end Ohlins NIX adjustable front fork. Even the cheaper model has forged aluminum OZ wheels (the MSTR has carbon wheels). Additional specifications are detailed in the press release below. Dealer location can be found on the company web site.

The 2014 Motus Sportbikes and MV4 Engine Debut at the US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca -Motus MST series of comfortable American sportbikes begin initial production Monterey, CA (7/23/2013) – Motus, makers of the only American V4 sportbikes, revealed the much-anticipated 2014 Motus MST production motorcycles in Monterey, CA at the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca July 19-21. Two years after first showing prototypes at Laguna Seca, Motus returned with production motorcycles and a growing dealer network.

The Motus MST and MSTR are built for comfort on longer rides, but also have another side. Powered by the mighty MV4 Baby Block engine, the MSTs feature lightweight, responsive chassis and race-spec components to thrill even the most experienced riders on twisty mountain roads or coastal highways.

“As street riders, we wanted the Motus to offer an unparalleled experience from 20-90 mph, where we do almost all our riding. With a quick sprocket change, the MSTs are geared for 204 mph top speed, but the focus has been on making massive torque in a usable street range, from 2500 rpm to 7500 rpm,” said Brian Case, co-founder and Director of Design for Motus. “We also built in a sensible riding position, adjustable windscreen and controls, luggage, and other accommodations for longer rides.”

072313middle1

Motus has a growing network of 16 high-quality dealers from Seattle to Miami with the goal of adding additional shops in Southern California, the Midwest and the Northeast. Commercial and retail financing is in place, motorcycle insurance is commonly available, and the MSTs offer a competitive 2-year, unlimited mileage warranty. 2014 MSTs and MSTRs will begin shipping this fall to dealers and customers reserving them now.

“While we are a small, growing company, our products offer a unique and compelling experience for riders and dealers. For riders, the Motus is a premium high performance sportbike with an incredible amount of character and value. For dealers, Motus makes a great addition to other premium lines as it does not compete with mass produced motorcycles and brings in new customers looking for something that did not exist until now,” said Lee Conn, co-founder and company president.

To schedule a test ride, call your closest Motus dealer and request a slot for a very limited number of factory sponsored demo rides this fall and winter. All Motus dealers are accepting reservations on their limited allocation of 2014 MSTs now.

072313middle2

2014 MOTUS MST STANDARD EQUIPMENT
1650cc liquid-cooled V4, 160 bhp, 125 ft. lbs.
6-Speed, dual-overdrive
Electronic Fuel Injection
Electronic throttle control
TFT color LCD Instrument Panel
720w alternator
Ohlins NIX adjustable front suspension
Progressive mono-shock rear suspension w/remote preload adjuster
Brembo calipers

Mid and full tour windscreen
Dual rear Powerlet port
Heated seat
Heated grips
Premium Motus low seat by Sargent

2014 MOTUS MSTR STANDARD EQUIPMENT
1650cc liquid-cooled V4, 180 bhp, 120 ft.lbs.
6-Speed, dual-overdrive
Electronic Fuel Injection
Electronic throttle control
TFT color LCD Instrument Panel
720w alternator
Ohlins NIX adjustable front suspension
Ohlins TTX mono-shock rear suspension w/remote preload adjuster
Brembo M4 monoblock calipers

Mid and full tour windscreen
Heated seat
Heated grips
Premium low seat by Sargent

072313bottom

1. Colors says:

I want to hear one. I hope it works. It’s outa my price range for sure, 20k I could have seen but 30… not on what I make. I’d also like to see one with no fairing and a round headlight. Man I bet that thing sounds mean…

2. paul A says:

Motus is showing the rest of the world that Americans can build real motorcycles.

• Scotty says:

And for twice the price of the equivalent Kawasaki – I should hope so!!

• paul A says:

Correction: Motus is showing the rest of the world that Americans can build real expensive motorcycles.

• Scotty says:

I shouldhave added last night, that I think the look and concept is OK, and in some ways as a Guzzi fanatic something like this is probably the future of Guzzi. I’m not really down on the bike at all – but that price is eye-watering.

double correction: Motus is confirming to the rest of the world that’s there’s PLENTY MONEY here in states (again, the claims of poverty by motorcyclists is just a ruse). of course the rest of the world already knows this as evidenced by the two McLaren’s I’ve recently spotted in my area. turns out, somebody’s seen fit to open a dealership.

3. pistoldave says:

Kind of surprised by the venom in some of the comments here, I guess you either get/like this bike or you really, really, REALLY hate it. I think its kind of cool looking, and I could definitely see myself owning one of these were the price a little lower, say around 20k ish maybe. I am not personally offended by the pricetag as it seems many others are, in fact with what I know about manufacturing I am surprised that a small volume manufacturer can make a profit selling these for 30k. For me personally the coolness/dollars ratio is close but not quite there. However, I wish the company the best of luck in an extremely difficult and risky endeavor, and for anyone who ponies up the cash for one of these, I think you will have a real conversation piece and a bike that should be a hoot to ride. I’m still waiting for one of the expert armchair quarterbacks here to start their own company building the “perfect” motorcycle for under 10k$………Still waiting.

4. JR says:

30 grand for a motorcycle.. the question I have is why even bother producing it, since anything over 10 grand is overpriced.

• pistoldave says:

No, but you can get it for much less than 30G’s. Just sayin’.

• Kent says:

How much is a new BMW K1600 has a $23,000 MSRP.

Taken from the net, about a new HD touring bike
          “The 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide, which carries a MSRP of $37,599 for the base models, and $38,599 for the 110th Anniversary Edition, will be limited to 3,900 units, each one assembled in Harley’s facilities in York, Pa.”

Almost $40k for a touring bike? Sure, they won’t sell a million of them, but Motus isn’t trying to do that either.

I think it’ll work. I won’t get one, but if I had money to burn, I would.

I believe it will work too, and the same guy that bought that CVO will probably add one of these to his garage to park next to it. I’m just saying a K1300S for example which makes just as much power and is probably no less sporty can be had for under 20K.

re: “You mean I can’t get litre bike performance in an all day comfortable package for under 6g’s????? Say it isn’t so!!!!!!”

crazy talk.

5. allworld says:

Overall I like this bike, I do hope Motus is successful. It can’t be easy to start up a new company, Eric Buell could probably add a little something here. If I could afford one I would buy one, no question. It is fantastic to see an American made bike that is not a cruiser.

6. juan says:

Buena suerte Motus, linda máquina.

7. skybullet says:

Overall concept, great and it looks like a functional, carefully designed bike. However, they better jazz up the engine with finned valve covers and sump if it is going to have showroom appeal. It needs to look like it is worth $30K.

• JR says:

You want it to look like an air-cooled motor? Have you ever looked at the valve covers on exotic cars? Even a Corvette for that matter. Form follows function. Anything else is so much Milwaukee marketing BS.

8. Dale says:

I love it. Reminds me so much of the bike I already have – a Buell Thunderbolt S3T. Seating position is identical, which to me is the most comfortable ever devised. I think they are on the right track, I just wish it was $10,000 cheaper. The sport touring audience is limited, but it is there. If there wasn’t a market, I don’t think Triumph would have just spent the $$$’s to develop the new Trophy SE vs. Kawasaki, Yamaha, Guzzi, Honda, BMW, et al…

9. Cage Free says:

Looks kinda like a parts bin special to me.. Im sure they will sell a few to those who want something different and have the cash to take a chance on them but unless they are able to build a bike that is affordable to the masses they will join the ranks of other here today gone tomorrow MFG’s..

• Charles says:

Not really a “parts bin special” at all. In fact, this engine shares no parts with any other current or past production bike. I was designed from scratch, completely. That’s what’s unique about Motus. Lots of small manufacturers have popped up over the years that have made bikes with sourced engines. I have a feeling that if Motus does fail, this engine design will be bought by another manufacturer. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this motor finds its way into Harley Davidsons one day, god forbid. I hope they succeed so that doesn’t happen.

10. Don Fraser says:

Interesting, not sure who their market is, 30K and 160 hp is a lot for a bike with no electronic traction control. Harley riders don’t like the V-rod, so why would they like this? Poor folk don’t pay over 7K for anything.

Their market consists of wealthy people who probably already have a CVO and Panigale R gracing their garages. That is a big enough market for the relatively small production numbers they are shooting for.

• Austin ZZR 1200 says:

Still, outside of exclusivity, is there any brand power/ collectability for something like this? If you are that wealthy, save up for a Confederate

• BlackCayman says:

its neeeewwwwwww!

• mickey says:

Confederate makes a Sport Tourer? I don’t think so. Confederate only makes motorcycles for show, not for go. They are like the Tuttle’s in that respect.

Confederate makes show pieces with garage bike quality. This is a serious manufacturing effort. I really don’t think there is any comparison.

I think Motus is taking the right steps to brand themselves, and the fact that it is American-made with an interesting engine layout will attract some of the initial buyers. They will have to find a way to offer more value, eventually. Once the initial novelty buyers run out, they are going to have to be able to go head-to-head with the other heavy hitters like BMW. Of course we are all speculating about a bike that hasn’t been ridden or tested yet by any trusted media outlet that I know of. It might be garbage for all we know.

re: “160 hp is a lot for a bike with no electronic traction control.”

depends. immature throttle jockey’s are doomed no matter how little HP you put under them. at that point, the problem really isn’t the bike is it…? the problem is with the “nut that connects the seat to the handlebars”.

also, see my post to jay below.

re: “Poor folk don’t pay over 7K for anything.”

sage words “smokin’ don fraser” sage words. I almost overlooked this. to put things in perspective, you should know BMW’s entire run of HP4′s were sold out before they ever hit the dealers. they’re $25 grand a pop.

re “Harley riders don’t like the V-rod”

That’s exactly why they make it, to reach riders who won’t ride a regular air cooled (slow) Harley.

11. Austin says:

I think for 30K it is a joke. I expect more. The turn signals look like they are from a JC Whitney catalog, along with the passenger grab handles. For 30K everything should look like a work of art, not like it came from a parts catalog. Too bad, I would love to see an American motorcycle company make something other than a cruiser. I love the V-4 too (current bike is a V-4). I just think they need to spend some money on the details. Look at the mirrors, they are off a 1990s bike, no integrated turn signals? No LED/ HID headlamps? The brake light, and rear turn signals are a joke too. Makes me so sad. Come USA, we can do better.

12. Vrooom says:

“These are not your father’s sport tourers. Each model has six speeds…” Wow, 6 speeds, really? That is special. I’m used to one down and 5 up, oh wait… Seriously did you borrow that line from their marketing brochure?
    It’s a nice looking bike, but how big is the market for $30K sport tourers? Would love one, but I’ll have to wait a long time before they appear on the used market for anything reasonable. Hope the company makes it though.

13. BlackCayman says:

I think it’s a great first bike to roll out of an American start-up. Once they get established, will there be a lower cost version without all the expensive bits? I should like to think so.

What is the closest bike to this MST?

Probably the Multistrada (which design wise is out there a little bit).

14. Hair says:

To say that we Americans can buy motorcycles, we can ride them, and we can fix them. But we can’t build them bugs me more than a little. And that is what we seem to be telling ourselves all the time. Sure we can build a cruisers and I respect the people and companies who do that. But we have jinxed ourselves both in the off road and competitive racing or sport bike market. Sure this is a lot of money for a bike. But you know H-D custom branch is very successful and their offerings are typically over the 30k threshold.

I like this bike. I wish them all the best. I would love to ride it sometime. And if you are ever in the mood to build a great Adventure touring bike, I am all in.

• Auphliam says:

I agree. I really like this bike and what these guys have done. I followed this project closely from inception. It should serve as inspiration for Americans.

I was so disappointed to see the official MSRP, though not because I thought it was unworthy or feared their failure…but because it was priced out of my range.

If I had 30K, you can bet your ass I’d own one of these.

15. Carl Allison says:

Since it’s a pushrod engine, I wonder if the owner is allowed to do their own valve adjustments without voiding the warranty.

16. Charles says:

I think this bike is really cool. As a liquid cooled pushrod V-twin, it’s basically what a Harley engine would be if it had evolved since 1945. It was designed by the same dudes that design Corvette racing engines. It’s been in development for a long time. It’s a great story. It’s not a “Moto Guzzi Norge with Chain Drive,” not even close. This thing has double the power, double the cylinders. Are there any bikes that have torque numbers like this bike? 30 k is a lot, but this is a totally unique motorcycle. There’s nothing out there remotely similar. I say, money well spent.

17. vitesse says:

They’ll never make it. They’re doomed to failure.

18. Ricardo says:

$30K for this new bike? I rather buy the 6 cylinder BMW, better looking, reliable and $26k fully loaded….

19. dman says:

I sat on one , and looked these over closely at the Motus display at Laguna Seca. Ergo’s seemed perfect, and fit and finish we’re really excellent. I was impressed.

20. Jay says:

Whenever you have big horsepower and torque numbers like that – not a GP or race only bike – you can bet it’s a hook, appealing to poseurs and useful for marketing purposes only. Because 160 horsepower is totally useless for a street motorcycle, especially a light weight one. I mean, it’s fine to have the most powerful bike on the block, but to me, it isn’t maximium motorcycling.

I’d like to see a torquey V-4 motor like that set up in a cruiser, though, in a modern alternative to a V-Twin.

• paul A says:

I remember the V65 Honda Magna. It was a fast cruiser without the feet forward thing.

re: “you can bet it’s a hook, appealing to poseurs and useful for marketing purposes only. Because 160 horsepower is totally useless for a street motorcycle”

you sure about that…? I see accommodations for a pillion and panniers. my fat fingered math says that’s a GVW of 900lbs (+/-). that weight range has got a torque spec of 125 ftlbs written all over it.

now with regards to it’s pony power, you have to understand that’s just a number calculated from the equation hp=(torquexRPM)/5252.

this kit’s almost 1.7 liters. at that displacement, rev ANY rotating/reciprocating assembly engineered half-decent (nevermind one built by katech boffins) past 7,000, and it’s GOING to make 160hp. what’s it gon’ do…? it has no choice.

• Halfbaked says:

Thanks for that heads up poseur alert I was ready to spend 30K on one of these POS.

21. endoman38 says:

Kind of plain looking.

22. Gpokluda says:

Those are some handsome bikes. Best I have seen out of the industry in some time. The body work on the blue one has lines reminiscent of the BMW K75S but I won’t hold that against it. Hopefully the company will sell bunches of them.

23. Jeremy in TX says:

I like it. Surprised heated grips are optional on a $30K+ motocycle, but whatever. I also see that the soupe du jour is not on the menu: a full electronics package and ABS. That would seem a pretty big oversight given the target market for such machines. The chain drive will probably equally be frowned upon. Still, I think the novelty and performance envelope of the bike will attract enough buyers to get this thing rolling.

If the MST is successful stay tuned for a Griso-esque or Diavel-esque sport cruiser with that mean V4 tucked into the frame? Or a beakless adventure bike perhaps?

I am glad to see an American company make a solid and well thought out effort at something that isn’t a cruiser. I hope they are successful.

re: “stay tuned for a Griso-esque or Diavel-esque sport cruiser with that mean V4 tucked into the frame? Or a beakless adventure bike perhaps?”

bin the fairing, fit superbike bars, a round headlight and VIOLA…

the yankee hooligan’s tuono…!

• BlackCayman says:

the emphasis was on “SPORT”…you can’t build a sportbike with a shaft drive that raises and lowers the bike getting on and off the gas respectively. You need to see it on the track for testing – the video is out there.

It’s not meant to be a 600-700 lb touring bike – and it isn’t.

The emphasis is on selling bikes, and bikes of this type almost without exception are shaft driven. Plus can’t think of any drive mechanism that won’t raise or lower the rear end with the throttle – that’s just physics. So maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying. I think it is more an issue of weight (overall and unsprung) and lash when it come to shafts vs chains for sport purposes. That said, I have ridden some fantastic handlers driven by shafts, so there is no reason this bike given its intended purpose of sport touring, which I’d wager is going to weigh every bit of 550 lbs wet, couldn’t have used a shaft. Just my opinion.

• BlackCayman says:

The V-Max is probably the worst bike for Shaft-Drive Lash upsetting the suspension (that I ever tried). That bike was designed for straightline acceleration performance – and in that role it puts a huge grin on your face every time. It simply isn’t the right tool for a bike that is designed to be riden at the sporting limits – like the MST was.

If you disagree – start your own American Made Motorcycle Company and do it your way. The guys at Motus wanted the performace characteristics of a chain. I happen to agree with them.

SURE…I would like a shaft drive system that performed like a chain. I’d like a helicopter too.

• kjazz says:

Yeah, well actually, the material above…

“As street riders, we wanted the Motus to offer an unparalleled experience from 20-90 mph, where we do almost all our riding.”

… emphasizes “real world” motorcycling. Sure it’s gotta be sporty-ish. But a near-zero maintenance shaft drive is worth a lot to a sport touring rider; whether he/she is feeling more or less sporty at the moment.

De rigueur for any bike built to be even remotely touring oriented (street) in the year 2013: heated grips, abs, shaft, traction control. And c’mon…. $30K is just too much money. If they are gonna charge that much, why not $40K…..? This ought to be priced to compete directly with the best BMW…. $20K, or thereabouts.

It is a good looking aesthetic design IMO…. and the engine sounds like it ought to be a winner. I hope they are successful, and can evolve and develop cost advantages that will allow a proper pricing strategy that will keep them in business.

24. Mike says:

The lighting does appear to come from KTM (headlight and signals) which isn’t good. That headlight sucks (I own one). The windshield design also closely resembles the KTM 950/990 Adventure shield, which is universally hated. It also appears that the exhaust flange is held on with only one bolt per cylinder. Even if there is an inch or two of exhaust pipe stuck in the head, it should still use two or more fasteners. I do applaud them for going to the aftermarket for a good seat (Sergeant), mufflers (Akrapovic), wheels (OZ), suspension (Ohlins), etc. but overall its not quite what I would expect for the money. A new BMW K1300S HP runs $22,500 and comes with ABS, ESA (electronically adjustable suspension), traction control, wheelie control, 175hp, superb aerodynamics, heated grips, billet adjustable rearsets, carbon parts, etc. etc. and is truly all-day, cross-country comfortable.

25. ApriliaRST says:

Yeah, I’m not sure of the placement of the front master cylinder either– it even appears to block the view of the mirror in some of the photos, but that’s relatively easy to fix (so long as you can accept that anything should need fixed on a bike of this price range).

BUT, here is a motorcycle with REAL performance and touring capability with included hard bags for your toothbrush (if you can afford this bike, you will stay in motels)… selling at low-ish Harley-Davidson CVO pricing that will attract the attention of the creme de la creme of the motorcycling community. I’d say that’s a bargain. In fact, the previously mentioned H-D CVO owner won’t even know what he’s looking at. Once he realizes… well, not pretty.

• dino says:

If it were a Harley, they would have three or four different master cylinder covers, mounts, etc… Most in chrome I assume.

Maybe those little plastic cups will look OK in person… Maybe it will be the first of several things many riders change. Sport bikes get the fender eliminators, cruisers get chrome bling, custom paint, bags, etc.

Thank God it doesn’t have tank seams (exposed) or a beak!!

26. MGNorge says:

When I first saw the blue model I thought, now we’re talkin’! Finally get to look at a production ready model with (most) of the little pieces taken care of unlike the mules we’ve seen. Looks being what they are, I prefer the black valve covers although the white model with the red looks pretty good. I see it’s the “R” model that gets the red.
    Final judgement will come when I get to see them live.

27. TomS says:

They look like very competent, very very fast sport tourers. I’m sure I’d love to ride one.

The design is leaving me cold, though. Love the engine, but from the back edge of the body fairing everything seems cluttered, busy, and sort of disorganized-looking. Lots of tubular stuff of two different finishes that is not visually harmonious. As Alpinaweiss said, the headlight does seem derivative (KTM Adventure) but it’s not unattractive.

Also, 30 large is a shit ton of money.

boom…!!! I like it. I soon as I saw that blue with the blacked out engine I thought BMW F8GT. may wanna go ahead and black out the frame and swinger.

29. Alpinaweiss says:

btw.the headlight seems to resemble a KTM Adventure
    unit, or is it just me ?

30. Alpinaweiss says:

a strange and very brave commercial move
    for this beautifully engineered concept.

perhaps they figured out that exclusivity
    could be the best entry-ticket for a new brand
    (having in mind the scarceness of potential
    dealer network).

on the other hand, apart from the core
    engineering, the bike in its details & equipment
    does not seem even close to justifying the pricetag
    (I’m talking Bimota Tesi levels of exotic & machining
    finesse, or the new Horex VR6 – such money can buy you
    an exotic & classy product that is over-dense with high-tech).

here you have a very unique powetrain layout and design,
    wrapped in high-quality componentry but there is no such
    “overdose-of-high-tech” and visual sparkle.

so this one will probably attract those who want uniqueness
    but are so fond of the classic, old-school motorcycle ingredients
    in the “keep-it-simple-and-do-it-perfectly” spirit.

personally I appreciate such efforts, as this is the essence
    of what motorcycling is all about (plus the sound and character
    of this V-engine is probably very charismatic).

so as said above, it will be bought by those cool people who
    don’t find any ‘addictive drama’ in handing out 30K for a bike.

whereas Bimotas (for example) are (often) bought by people who
    cannot afford them but anyway do, just because.

for the (very) demanding customer who wants
    to be

31. mickey says:

I usually lust after red heads, but those head covers look out of place. THe black ones look better. Wish I had the spare coin laying around I’d try one, although like Ducatis, Moto Guzzis, MV’s, KTMs and Aprlias there just won’t be enough dealers around for me to even see one.

32. Jean says:

I’m tempted to compare these with the vfr1200…

33. Mike Simmons says:

A beautiful scoot to be sure! Glad to see something from the US other than another Harley wannabee. The master cylinder reservoirs are a bit tacky compared to the other bits on the bike. Unless I win the lottery however, too rich fer my blood ….

34. Tom R says:

Master cylinder fitment-will this replace tank seams as the curious complaint of the month? Stay tuned…

35. Leo says:

Those cheap plastic brake fluid reservoirs got to go.

36. Dave says:

$30k is a ton of coin for a bike but these guys don’t have the capital to begin with a high volume, competitively costed motorcycle so to begin, they are building a very exclusive bike in numbers they can manage, which is probably just about the number of bikes they thing they can sell to a $30k bike customer.

If they sell enough then they can grow and attract investors and produce greater numbers of bikes at a more reasonable cost for the rest of the community.

37. goose says:

I think the only question is when these guys will run out of investors and declare bankruptcy. Nobody has had strong sales for sport tourers costing 2/3s or even half on the base model Motus. The marketing seems to me to be something out of session of pot smoking: Hey, lets build a bike for a nearly dead sales niche that cost way more than the other bikes in the same class! Wow, cool!

Then we get to the engineering. Don’t you think there is a reason there hasn’t been a bike with an inline crankshaft and chain drive for 50 years? It was tried, it didn’t work well and it died out. You too can (for only $31K!) have a bike with the torque reaction on an inline crank, the power loss of right angle in the power train and the mess of chain drive. Lets not forget the heat of the right angle drive inside the engine/ trans unit, at 150 HP the 1.5% of the power that turns into heat in the right angle drive is 2.25 HP or over 1,600 watts. That is the output of a pretty high performance toaster. Right between the (hot) engine and (hot) transmission.

Then we have the problems that face any small manufacturer, it just isn’t easy to build a bike as good as the average Honda. You can buy lots of stuff, forks, shocks, brakes, wheels, etc. but when you design yourself into a one of a kind corner (see the right angle drive in the transmission) you can’t buy stuff, you have the full burden of creating and building parts from a blank CAD screen to to the production parts. Remember what happened to Bimota when they decided to build their own engine? It bankrupted the company. We forget how difficult this stuff is because Honda, Yamaha, BMW, Ducatis, etc do it so well. When John Bloor restarted Triumph he bought Japanese technology and manufacturing equipment and built his first bikes based on that technology. That shows Mr. Bloor is a very smart businessman. It was close to a decade before Triumph started to build bikes outside the Japanese model (water-cooled, four valves. transverse crank, etc).

As another example of what I’m talking about, look at the fit of the seat as it meets the tank on the blue bike. It is horrible. It isn’t easy building these things guys, the big manufactures just make it look easy.

I’m not saying this because I want these Motus to fail, it would be great to have another bike manufacturer in the US. I don’t care if Jay Leno or some other rich guy buys a Motus and they go out of business. For Jay that will just make his Motus even more cool. What I’m worried about is who stretches really hard to buy the bike then finds out it doesn’t work well and the factory has closed so his warranty is useless and he has no source for parts. I’m even more worried about a guy who has managed to keep the doors of his shop open through the tough times we’ve all been through deciding to be patriotic and brining in a US made motorcycle line. After he spends the large chunk of cash (minimum parts order, training mechanics, signage, etc) Motus goes belly up and he can’t service his debt. Another motorcycle shop dies.

If you disagree buy one, maybe I’m wrong and Motus will be a huge success. On the other hand, take a look at what $35K (out the door) could buy you. An FJR1300 and over $15K in your 401K. A BMW K1600GT with $8 to 10K left over to take your dream vacation or to placate your wife. If you shop well you might even be able to pick up a Kawasaki Concours and an Aprilia Tuono V-4. You know Yamaha, BMW, Kawasaki and Aprilia will be here in a year, if you have problems you have a warranty and a company to back it up.

Goose

38. sherm says:

For 31K you don’t get much unusual other than a what looks like an oversized ST1300 V-4. No ABS, no traction control, no engine power mode selection, no on-the-fly suspension control, no heated grips or heated seats, no comm/sound system, no GPS…

Of course spectacular performance, and a 400lb wet weight could make a lot of difference. If it put up superbike performance numbers accompanied by superbike handling, then I can see a certain lust developing. Otherwise, even if you bought one, would you ever feel like riding it, assuming you also had great sport touring and sport bikes in your garage?

39. Bob L says:

If beauty, is in the eye of the beholder…..I’m not beholding.

As in most bikes….too many weird things going on in the overall design.

• Red says:

I too am definitely not beholding. Is this actually serious? That would have to be the greatest collection of FUGLY motorcycles in existence and their prices are absolutely absurd. Who in their right mind would pay money for these hideous asymmetrical monstrosities? They look like they were designed by 1st year engineering students.

40. Augustus says:

Even if it’s as good as the early reviews, would I pay $36K for a Motus MSTR?

You’re goddamned right I would.

41. dino says:

At least they are running demo rides. That is a lot of coin to spend without some seat time.. Seems they are putting their money where their mouth is! Good move.

On paper, and in pictures, looks like a great mount! Definitely interested. Prices have all gone up on most all bikes not made in India, and many Harley’s wind up costing this much or more. I tend to keep bikes for a long time, so they may just have to save me that blue one!!

42. Guylr says:

I really like the engine and I have to applaud them getting these bikes to market. There are some bits that bother me though. The bikes don’t seem to have a cohesive theme. Are they touring bikes or super sports? The Ricky Racer muffler cans and the fussy master cylinder reservoirs seem out of place and say superbike but the fairings and riding position say touring. Fix some details and they could look good. Performance should be more than adequate.

• dino says:

Yeah, I noticed those master cylinders too… Looks like they are oddly placed way above the bars, not sure why. Maybe a small carbon fiber, or re-mount is in order there…

The rest of it defines “less is more”, and looks good!

re: “Are they touring bikes or super sports?”

re: “The Ricky Racer muffler cans and the fussy master cylinder reservoirs seem out of place and say superbike but the fairings and riding position say touring.”

the 2 design elements that endeared so many people to ducati’s 996 powered ST4 and ST4S.

“Are they touring bikes or super sports?”

I think is you have to ask that question, then the answer is “sport-touring”. Or maybe a new category – “super sport-touring”?

• BlackCayman says:

*****Or maybe a new category – “super sport-touring”?*****

I think you’ve nailed it there. It was meant to set a new high mark for SPORT-touring bikes.

There are motorcyclists who have been riding sportbikes for 20-30 years who want that same feeling but also want touring ergos.

re: “Or maybe a new category – “super sport-touring”?”

to be fair, kawi already created that with connie 14, but this would be a welcome addition to that segment.

• BlackCayman says:

I ride with a guy on a Connie 14 – and he rips it up and makes it his bitch! but the bike is huge in every dimension and weighs in at 688 lbs.

True enough Kawi gets credit for doing it – speaking of that…where is the Hayabusa based ST?????

43. TimC says:

And while $30k-ish sounds ridiculously high, put it in perspective…our ruinous inflationary monetary policy certainly has contributed to this…and that said BMWs are well into the 20s and this is clearly a more boutique production numbers bike….

44. Mike says:

An ugly bike with a stupid price and a dumb name. It is the LAST thing the world needs right now.

45. TimC says:

That is a gorgeous motorcycle.

46. ApriliaRST says:

Yeah, it’d be nice if it was to sell for less money, but it isn’t. Get over it. If you don’t want one, just don’t buy one. Those who will be buying this manufacturer’s early models probably don’t really care.

47. White Wolf says:

Love the engine, the bike is butt ugly, one of those step children only a mother could love. To top that who do they think they are going to sell this expensive ride to anyway?

48. John M. says:

30 large for a Moto Guzzi Norge with chain drive? Sorry, but I wont be on one. I’d rather have 2 of something else. (or maybe 3)

• Black cayman says:

Obviously you are not the target audience.

Those who will buy them are those who can without really feeling the pinch of that sticker price or for those who would sacrifice their new car or truck (and keep their old beater) to get the first bike that hits all of their unique desired traits.

In many cases, the MST buyer already has a 3 or more bike solution and the Motus just gets added to the stable.

Just because you can’t or wouldn’t buy one doesn’t mean the bike isn’t lust-worthy

49. mechanicuss says:

$31K….(sigh)… Maybe Jay Leno will buy one.

50. Glenn says:

This will be my next bike, when it comes to Canada. Can’t wait!