With nearly 8 gallons in its aluminum tank (that’s right, aluminum), completely restyled bodywork, added wind protection (including, but not limited to a larger windshield), longer suspension travel, and all the electronic rider assistance devices imaginable, the new BMW R 1200 GS Adventure might just be the ultimate adventure touring rig.
Although BMW just recently introduced the new R 1200 GS with its 1170cc, 125 horsepower, water/air cooled engine, BMW has seen fit to substantially revise things in the new Adventure model just announced. They have even revised the geometry of the chassis to improve handling. The standard Adventure model features ABS, stability control and two, switchable riding modes (Standard and Rain). Optional are three additional riding modes that primarily enhance off-road performance (and provide numerous combinations of electronic assistance), as well as semi-active suspension Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment).
We currently do not know details regarding U.S. price or availability, but you can see all of the available details in this PDF file.
Highlights of the new BMW R 1200 GS Adventure:
- Based on the same versatile overall concept as the R 1200 GS, with spirited twin-cylinder boxer engine and agile chassis, but with enhanced off-road prowess and globetrotting abilities.
- Increased flywheel mass in the engine and additional vibration damper for even smoother running and superior rideability.
- Spring travel 20 millimetres longer at front and rear compared to R 1200 GS.
- 10 millimetres more ground clearance than predecessor.
- Modified geometry of trailing arm for even sharper handling.
- Completely restyled bodywork in distinctly robust and masculine GS Adventure design.
- 30-litre fuel tank with similar range to predecessor.
- ABS, ASC and two riding modes as standard.
- Three further riding modes available as an ex-works option.
- Semi-active suspension Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) available as an ex-works option.
- More comfortable, tilt-adjustable bench seat.
- Large, adjustable windshield and air flaps.
- Wide enduro footrests.
- Adjustable, reinforced foot-operated levers.
- Robust engine and tank protection bar.
- Wide range of special accessories and optional extras available ex-works.