BMW Unveils the R nineT: The Retro Standard You Have Been Waiting For? (With Video)

101613top-i-2

101613side1-2

If you take a minute, you will realize this is a big deal. After the staid German manufacturer collaborated with Roland Sands recently on a controversial, naked custom, we wondered aloud what this meant. Frankly, we didn’t care for the look of the Roland Sands’ bike, but this production model knocks us out.

The BMW R nineT represents a simple, no frills standard-style motorcycle with plenty of modern performance … yet, it is loaded with heritage, principally derived from the air-cooled Boxer engine. Think about the following contrast.  Honda’s CB1100, which pays homage to numerous air-cooled Hondas of the past, weighs 540 pounds and makes a claimed 86 horsepower and 68 foot/pounds of torque. This new BMW, on the other hand, might be the retro-ripper of your dreams. It is 51 pounds lighter than the Honda, makes 110 hp, and has 88 foot/pounds of torque! All that power and torque at street RPM levels.

A modern six-speed gearbox and shaft drive is combined with some very serious brakes, including dual 320 mm front rotors gripped by four-piston radial calipers. ABS is standard.

BMW is emphasizing the new R nineT as the perfect starting point for customization, and has designed the bike to receive simple bolt-on replacement parts. Several customizers undoubtedly have this bike already, and BMW has several parts in-house which can be bolted to the R nineT, including optional seat units and exhaust, among others. Below is the BMW announcement, a very-well produced video, and full specs. You can also visit the web page set up by BMW.

101613middle1-2

BMW R nineT. Pure Riding.

Motorcycling has always been a passionate lifestyle. For the past 90 years BMW Motorrad has been ensuring that this remains the same in the future, too. For those who like it pure and original, BMW Motorrad has now developed the perfect machine: the BMW R nineT. A motorcycle featuring purist design and numerous ways of customizing it.

BMW R nineT: Pure Authenticity.

Riding a motorcycle and feeling free. The BMW R nineT combines this feeling with a casually cool look which, in spite of all the details, is unmistakably a member of the BMW family. Further criteria such as ride feel, design and sound lay the foundation for an independent, authentic lifestyle.

101613middle2-2

BMW R nineT: Pure Customizing

The BMW R nineT is powered by an air/oil-cooled 2-cylinder 4-stroke flat twin engine. The instruments consisting of speedometer and tachometer harken back to historical times and emphasize the essential and minimalist visual appeal of the motorcycle. The BMW R nineT is equipped with an upside down fork at the front and with the BMW Motorrad Paralever at the rear. However, the nineT does not only stand out due to its pure design. The nineT offers great options for individualization. No customizing wish is left unfilled. For example there is the removable rear frame, enough space for 6 inch rims and many other options. Even though the BMW R nineT offers so many modification opportunities it remains a real BMW motorcycle from a technical point of view. Standard-fitted ABS ensures highest-degree safety for the nineT, too.

BMW R nineT. Pure Lifestyle.

Pure passion, pure design, pure riding pleasure. This is what makes the BMW R nineT so essential for the classic enthusiast. Modify, ride, have fun. The nineT leaves nothing to be desired with regard to customization. Design your motorcycle, design your life. One name, one purist lifestyle:
BMW R nineT.

Engine
Type Air/oil-cooled flat twin (‘Boxer’) 4-stroke engine, two camshafts and four radially aligned valves per cylinder, central balancer shaft
Bore x stroke 101 mm x 73 mm
Capacity 1,170 ccm
Rated output 81 kW (110 hp) at 7,550 rpm
Max. torque 88 lb/ft (119 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
Compression ratio 12.0 : 1
Mixture control / engine management Electronic intake pipe injection
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed over 125 mph
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 52 mpg at a constant 56 mph (4.5 l)
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h
Fuel type Premium Unleaded
Electrical system
Alternator three-phase alternator 600 W
Battery 12 V / 14 Ah, maintenance-free
Power transmission
Clutch Single dry plate clutch, hydraulically operated
Gearbox Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
Drive Shaft drive
Chassis / brakes
Frame four-section frame consisting of one front and three rear sections, load-bearing engine-gearbox unit, removable pillion frame for single ride use
Front wheel location / suspension Upside-Down telescopic fork with 46 mm diameter
Rear wheel location / suspension Cast aluminium single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; central spring strut, spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
Suspension travel front / rear 4.7 inches / 4.7 inches (120 mm / 120 mm)
Wheelbase 58.1 inches (1,476 mm)
Castor 4.04 inches (102.5 mm)
Steering head angle 64,5 °
Wheels Spoke wheels
Rim, front 3.50 x 17″
Rim, rear 5.50 x 17″
Tyres, front 120/70 ZR 17
Tyres, rear 180/55 ZR 17
Brake, front Dual disc brake, floating brake discs, diameter 320 mm, four-piston radial calipers
Brake, rear Single disc brake, diameter 265 mm, double-piston floating caliper
ABS BMW Motorrad ABS
Dimensions / weights
Length 87.4 inches (2,220 mm)
Width (incl. mirrors) 35.0 inches (890 mm)
Height (excl. mirrors) 59.8 inches (1,265 mm)
Seat height, unladen weight 30.9 inches Standard
Inner leg curve, unladen weight 69.3 inches Standard
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 489 lbs (222 kg)
Dry weight
Permitted total weight 948 lbs (430 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment) 459 lbs (208 kg)
Usable tank volume 4.8 gal (18 liters)
Reserve approx. 0.8 gal
  • Technical data relate to the unladen weight (DIN)
  • 1) According to guideline 93/93/EWG with all fluids, fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume

101613middle3-2

101613middle4-2

101613middle5-2

101613middle6-2

101613middle7-2

1. Charles says:

BMW seem to be desperate to cash in on the retro/custom factor for which they now realise (albeit quite late) is a whorthy market to appeal to. This is a well thought out concept by bmw. Build a bike which will have the custom/retro factor with bolt on parts, both supplied by bmw directly & (I bet bmw hope that) other custom parts companies too – something I would imagine BMW would be happy with (for added ‘street cred’). A bike that therefore provides for the average punter, one to make them feel like they are in with the hip custom bike/cafe racer crowd, despite the bike being mostly factory, with a few distinguishing optional pieces. The process of allowing the owner to modify the bike to his/her own liking (and easily) encourages the rider to become emotionally invested with the bike, rather than it being purely a machine as such to go riding on. It encourages the enjoyment of riding blended with the pleasure of asthetic bike pleasure and satisfaction.

Aesthetically though it is not that far removed from a Moto Guzzi (modern version), representing a big, heavy, rock solid, seemingly beast-like hulk of a bike, that likely oozes with plenty of torque and low down pulling power. It has a certain ample post-apocalyptical styling elements too which has a certain attraction, but Ibelieve that niche is best served by motorcycles that are at least somewhat off-road capable. While it is a step BMW had to take to have some attempt at a now significant portion of customers swaying to retro-influenced bikes, it falls short for me personally as it still seems too bulky, heavy and not stripped back enough to the essence of a race bike or even custom for that matter. I’ll admit that I’m significantly biased however, in that I am an owner of older bikes and that I carry an unhealthy obsession with british racing bikes more than anything else.

Will the bmw give the board executives the new market sales figures they are longing for – such as those of triumph’s parallel twins? Not likely to be honest. The triumphs have a much more direct link with their heritage, both aesthetically and mechanically and are more of a ‘classic that happens to be modern’ rather than something that is ‘modern attempting to be classic’.

The marketing is sleek, up to date and is a very solid attempt to play with the heart strings of the neo easy rider appeal & essence, but it’s not enough for me personally. p.s. what was wrong with the Roland Sands concept, that would at least sell much better & was way more exciting. Just my 2c!

2. Thomas says:

This is BMW’s interpretation/answer to the long standing Moto Guzzi Griso
    Guy’s check the spec. sheets numbers — almost idendical !

But the Griso rules in my opinion. By look and authenticity.

Tom

3. todd says:

I’m waiting for the next James Bond movie with this in it sounding like an inline-four.

4. Stuki Moi says:

Like all boxers, those protruding cylinders mandate a seating position too far back. You’re basically riding on the rear axle.

Then, there’s the albatross like handlebar, which is even more pointless on a bike with thins much torso lean, than it is on the GS.

Combine the two, and you’re basically riding around looking like someone halfway between playing airplane and performing wide grip pushups, while collecting upper back aches between the shoulder blades stretching your outside arm in a vain effort to get it to where it needs to be for a full lock turn.

Not having ridden the thing, I probably should shut up, but I spent enough painful time on an ergonomically seemingly mid 00s Rockster, to have some pretty strong suspicions about how this one will turn out.

The R1100/R1200 S models, by leaning and draping the rider’s upper body over the big boxer engine, and being equipped with handlebars whose width were not measured in meters, were genuinely comfortable ergonomically; while the tourers manage to achieve comfort by trading in their handlebars for tillers; but this in between layout is simply the worst of all worlds.

At least according to this subjective, opinionated old fart.

5. Monstrosity says:

I’ve owned two R1200R’s. One I purchased in 2010, and currently a R1200R “90 Jahre” which I purchased after a very short stint on a K1300S (hated that bike – always broke down). I love the R. That being said, before anyone talks smack about the CB1100, they should first ride one. It is an awesome bike. Canididly, it feels lighter than the R. As far as the RNineT, I’m probably going to purchase it. I use to have a Ducati Sport Classic GT, which I loved, but gave up because of that damn gas tank issue. The RNineT looks like it has similar ergonomics to the Duc SC, but with a high gloss aluminum tank. True, the R1200R is more practical than the RNineT, but sometimes you just want something a little more sporty.

6. Cowpieapex says:

I think BMW may have sussed the zeitgeist. I see more custom one off Beemers all the time. Those old airheads always did have that elemental mechanical soul which distinguishes the legendary machines of my youth.It may be time to resurrect that old 72 LWB 750 at the back of the barn.
    Now, will the bolt-on posers break rank and go for the teutonic alternative?
    BTW to my eye there’s a little Confederate Hellcat in that underseat trim on the nineT.

7. John says:

I like this bike. I can see me buying one to ride awhile and then customize. LTW and low for around town runs. A good companion to my K1200RS. I will be interested to see the sticker price.

8. Boris says:

It looks a little lumpy. I wouldn’t really call it “retro” (a term that really just denotes a normal-looking or standard motorcycle)… there’s still too much exoskeleton. However, it is less insect-looking than most modern sportbikes.

When is the stupid “naked bike” fad going to be over??

9. ABQ says:

retro? If I want retro I will just keep my 2000 R1150. If you want retro, get a used one cheap.

• Montana says:

If you want a genuine, reliable retro, get an airhead.
      If you need an unpretentious, state-of-the-art standard, get a Yamaha FZ-09.
      But if you must impersonate a hairy, tire-smoking, tattoed bad-ass, you need a Harley.
      The R9T won’t score any more points in Sturgis than a metric cruiser.

10. Ryan says:

I’ve watched and watched this video over and over and am totally perplexed by the bike and what’s going on. Straight off this is just my humble opinion, not jealousy or envy, the guys at El Solitario etc, Roland Sands deserve everything they have they have worked so hard for their reputations and recognition ! But why do I find myself liking the bikes they turned up on far more than the new Beemer ? Isn’t a café racer something you build yourself, a bike you know intimately because you’ve fixed it time and again, added parts to it etc etc. I know not everyone can turn a spanner to a bike but then not everyone can afford what no doubt BMW will be asking for the R90ninety t or whatever it’s called. It looked so out of place with all the beat up Davida helmets and old Belstaff gear. Well done to all the guys in the video for being chosen to collaborate but I would have thought it was completely against what most of them thought about custom bikes and what they are about. Sorry for the rant but I think I’ll let the new Beemer pass me by !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Provologna says:

First and current thinking is this is the most desirable all-street bike I’ve come across. Owned about 75 bikes.

Man, if my ship comes in I know what street bike will be parked in this garage.

Wonder how difficult will it be to fit my Rifle Superbike Fairing (NOS, never mounted, still original gray primer).

Six speed liquid cooled R1200R, with looks to kill….damn! Earlier thought the Evo Cafe Bikes were better, but wrong, this is the real deal right here men! Step up and ride your dream Beemer.

The name sucks, but I’ll adapt.

How depressing that Honda’s CB1100 is such a turd vs. this bike.

• VLJ says:

Just curious, but what is it about this bike that you find so compelling compared to, say, the R1200R Classic, which is essentially the exact same bike other than for the Telelever front end, the centerstand, proper passenger accommodations, and the option for BMW’s hard luggage.

Mechanically, the two bikes are nearly identical. The R nineT’s radial brakes and conventional forks are the only real changes. Aesthetically, they still don’t differ all that much. Different forks/exhaust can/seat/tail light…that’s about it. We’re hardly talking a night and day difference here.

• 70's Kid says:

The guy has owned 75 bikes. It’s a flavor-of-the-day kind of thing.

• mickey says:

IMO the R 1200R looks a lot better than this bike, and like VLJ says you can put bags on it and a passenger. There is no performance advantage to the Nine T. Maybe Im too old to understand since I haven’t had a pony tail in 40 years and am not all tatted up.

BTW I love my turd CB 1100

• VLJ says:

Fwiw, to this day I have yet to read a single negative review of the CB1100. Oh, sure, I’ve read online comments from people who rip the bike for being slow and heavy, but those comments are never from actual CB1100 owners or full-time reviewers.

Point being, the CB1100 may have hit its target better than just about any Japanese offering in recent memory, with the FZ-09 being the only other bike in the running.

Allowing for what the bike is intended to be, here are the only two changes I would make to the CB1100: 1. Five-gallon gas tank. That bike is too comfortable for the 160-mile limit imposed by its 3.9-gallon tank. 2. Six-speed tranny. The one consistent criticism I have read is that the bike is a bit too buzzy at highway speeds, which, with its otherwise high comfort factor, begs for the simple fix of a sixth gear overdrive.

• paul says:

The CB1100 has way more appeal to me… but that is just my opinion. A simple and handsome design, timeless really.

• Doug Miller says:

Honda is showing it’s Super Bol D Or in a few weeks. It is a 1300 with fairing similar to the Bandit 1200. Has a red/white/blue paint job. Heck of a nice looking retro.

• Jo says:

Completely agree with VLJ… and with Mickey: I wanted to see the new version of the R1200R (namely now the ” NineT” before I purchase one of them. Point is, there aren’t radical differences in the look and in the principle, and although the NineT is marketed as a “customizable” bike, it is less versatile than the R1200R (the NineT is inferior in terms of rider and passenger seat, and in terms of luggage options).
        The R1200R Classic looks just as “retro” (and just as good), and it is more polyvalent.
        Plus I really can’t identify myself to the old hairy-rocker-cafe-racer kind of style from the NineT’s commercial video.
        For me the choice won’t be as hard as I thought.

• Doc says:

And you base the turd comment on what?

• Provologna says:

The CB1100 and this BMW are both 4v air/oil cooled. BMW is +10% displacement.

How does Honda justify having two more cylinders and so much less power and torque? From an engineering point of view, that’s a turd right there. Honda engineering? Sheesh!

Also: Honda +50 lbs greater weight, and a chain final drive instead of the BMW’s shaft? How does that add up?

I looked at the R1200R. How anyone can think that is not a styling nightmare vs. this bike is beyond me.

BTW, I put over 100k miles on several of my bikes, and many tens of thousands of miles on others. I loved my 00 R1150GS. For several years I practically never drove the cage unless the wife was with me or I had to pick something up that didn’t fit on the bike. I rode to work in storms so bad the wind and rain pushed my bike one full lane over at the north tower on the GG Bridge. I’ve ridden in snow drifts 20′ feet high from Reno to Sacramento.

Once I was on my bike and had to transport a couple new high end audio components to my home 50 miles away. A friend of mine taped them with a tape gun to my chest and back. What a site that must have been.

On one Marin County road I got to know well, a very fast club racer crashed hard trying to keep up with me on a bike with 30% less power and 100 lbs heavier.

I have a lot of fun on my mountain bicycle now. But if I was to buy another large street bike, this NineT is it.

• 70's Kid says:

I don’t often exaggerate, but when I do, I exaggerate on Motorcycle Daily. Stay modest my friends.

• Provologna says:

Re. the snow drift. Drove with my wife in the cage from Sonoma County to Reno to buy a used R75RT. Yeah, it was late fall, but I’m dumb and how many times have I actually seen snow?

We drive up and the weather is fine. I get the bike. Now it’s late so we spend the night at some hotel. Sleep like a baby. I open up the hotel door and stare in utter disbelief at the weather, wind blowing the trees, temperature 35 degrees colder than the day before.

I-80 was barely open the snow was so thick. Wife followed me the whole way with flashers on praying I would not crash. I remember one stop where I drank hot chocolate in the car with the heater on full blast. Her face was white she was so terrified. If I parked the bike I would have lost it in the snow. It was get home to the garage or crash, no other choice.

Did I mention the rear tire was bald?

IMO my likelihood of crashing would have risen exponentially on any other brand of bike other than the roundel.

I know some tell nightmares about BMW service issues. If I didn’t own 75 bikes it was fairly close. I stopped counting around 45 and owned many more. Except for possibly my 83 Vision 550R with full fairing and leg vents (hot engine air or cool outside air) my favorite was the R1150GS. The R75RT was nice too but the rear main seal leak wasn’t.

• VLJ says:

A styling nightmare? They’re practically the same design. The differences are almost insignificant. Mechanically, those few differences basically are insignificant. In terms of function, the R1200R is clearly superior.

• mickey says:

So to sum it up, the beemer with + 10 % displacement, weighing 50 pounds less, and costing half again as much as the CB, will run (according to BMW) a whopping 13 mph faster on top end than the electronically strangled CB 1100? And I’d bet the CB turns a faster 1/4 mile even if it is strangled.

Which one is the turd again?

• Provologna says:

I sat on the CB1100 at the local dealer. The top heavy feel with gas sloshing back and forth in the tank was extremely distasteful. The CB’s high CG made it feel heavier than my R1150GS even though the former is about 45 lbs lighter.

I’m curious which bike does a quicker 1/4m. I have no doubt which bike “feels” like it has more street performance (the roundel).

Roundel price is currently unknown and unknowable. Value is always 100% subjective. Something you can’t afford has no “value” regardless its performance.

To me, the CB1100 has some “prettiness” in a good way. Cosmetic wise this new BMW screams big, bad, German testosterone, a good thing in my book! This bike has cosmetic effect missing from H-Ds XR1200.

• mickey says:

Lol ok my friend, I get it, BMW is the best and can do no wrong…but please don’t make assumptions as to what I can afford. I am retired, don’t owe a penny to anyone, have 4 motorcycles in the garage all paid for, 2 newer cars and a truck, all paid for, and a wife that says if you want it, go get it. I paid more to ride in Europe for nine days than what this new BMW costs ( btw I rented a BMW R1200R..nice bike), and I take 3 or 4 motorcycle trips a year.

I buy what I like and if I had liked the BMW better than the CB 1100 I would have bought one.

The CB1100 doesn’t have a chance of turning a faster quarter mile. Sorry, but I had to say it. The BMW is going to get there sooner by a half second at least and be carrying an addition 10mph or so.

• VLJ says:

The R1200R’s top speed isn’t all that much, but it will run away from the CB1100 almost anywhere on the tach, and certainly from 4,000 rpm on up. Besides having twenty more hp and a lot lower wet weight (even with shaft drive and a much larger fuel tank), it also has a lot more torque.

1/4 mile, terminal velocity, top speed, roll-ons, you name it, the BMW easily covers the Honda.

And you know what? Who cares? Those types of criteria are not what the CB1100 is all about. The BMW is a sporting standard that’s designed to accelerate, brake and corner at a fairly high level. The Honda is not. It’s a traditional UJM that’s designed to offer a comfortable ride with sufficient performance, highlighted by gorgeous classic styling.

The two bikes are clearly not aiming for the same target.

That being said, I doubt there is a soul on earth, including any and all CB1100 owners, who would complain if their steed sported twenty more hp, fifteen more lbs of torque, and fifty fewer pounds. These things would simply expand the enjoyment envelope, increasing the CB’s market.

• mickey says:

Yea I was talking crazy there about the CB outrunning the 1200R but The point is the CB 1200 is not the turd my Beemer loving friend thinks it is. He should try riding one and then give his opinion. Whereas he just like to throw out slurs, I have actually spent a week and a half riding the one, and bought the other. Happy as a clam I am.

The CB1100 is a fantastic bike for what it is. However, there is a faction (myself included) that had a rowdier image for what we were hoping the bike would be – a minimalist bike more akin to an updated Bandit 1200 than a 4-cylinder cruiser. We didn’t get it, and some of us took it a little too personally for sure. This BMW offers what many of us were hoping the CB would be.

Now Provologna: Tell Mickey you are sorry for calling his bike a “turd” and let’s put this thread to bed. :-)

• mickey says:

Lol..thank you Jeremy

• VLJ says:

But this is such a fun thread! Why would we want to put it to bed?

:-)

12. cptai says:

Looks like a Guzzi Griso :)

13. paul246 says:

That video was…. corny…. really, really corny.

14. Doug Miller says:

One observation. I couldn’t help but notice that, once again, BMW continued it’s pattern of asymmetrical design by placing a shroud on the right lower side of the tank that doesn’t exist on the left. I wondered what could be so hideous that it need be concealed. Upon closer inspection it appears to cover a round mouthed air intake for the airbox. A functional air scoop. The shroud could easily be painted black to mute some the “girth” that previous commenters have noted. I’m fine with it. Wheels appear to be tube type. Does anyone know if they are or not?

15. Wendy says:

No saddlebags, can’t be a BMW. :D

16. Doug Miller says:

The ONLY thing I don’t like about this bike is the name. R Nine T. What does that even mean!? I get the inference but…it’s not a nine. T makes no sense. How about R1170SC (strassen cafe) I love this bike and know that it is desirable, otherwise Moto Guzzi would not have copied it…several years before it came out! I have been looking for a bike to put an S type 1/4 fairing on. Thought it would be my 904 Triumph. Now I’m thinking maybe a Nine T. Wow that’s a funky name.

17. Motorhead says:

Love the front view! But a lot of “daylight” through the side view would be nice, like the Vincent Black Shadow. This shows a solid wall of impermeable engine and housings. Not happy. It’s a personal problem. But the specs are awesome!

18. xlayn says:

People at Honda are sincerely flattered by everybody mentioning them, by letting them know, that the CB1100 is present in all of your minds…
    but for the correct price on the BM I guess that can be made a hard to remember thing…

19. Blackcayman says:

Its got some great Modern-Retro Fusion design going on… While going through the typical imagining me owning it routine – I remember the Moto Guzzi Griso.

20. stinkywheels says:

Great bike, great video (without frantic soundtrack), decent sized tank capacity, no telever. Biggest question, price? Maybe I won’t hack up my R100CS.

21. dino says:

Motor… Check!
    Wheels… Check!
    Seat… Check!
    Just enough other “bits” to make a modern ‘retro’ bike… Check!

All those other ‘bits’ help this modern rig make good power to weight, but does make it look more modern (Guzzi Griso, like someone mentioned), and eliminates the open space between the tank and engine… But I think it works.

If you want true retro, buy a new CB1000, a Ural, or just restore an old bike for real retro. For retro feel with modern advantages… Here you go!

22. Ziggy says:

Sexy? Maybe.

The chunky lines and shiny accents remind me of the broads I used to wheel out of the bar at 2 am, back in the 90s.

A surprisingly fun and comfortable ride no doubt – retro, for sure.

23. Don Cox says:

My first road bike was a 1987 R80. It was black with red & white pin stripes on the tank. I added a color matched S fairing, steel braided brake lines and a Lufmiester muffler – It was true love. It is astonishing to me to see how far the culture has shifted at BMW Motorad since then. “Hip” was not even on their radar in 1987. Much later, in 1997, they tried to imitate it with the R1200c, and now they truly are hip. Holy Cow!

24. Mr.Mike says:

This is nice but it seems to carry a lot of visual weight that I’d rather not see on this sort of bike. For example, if you google “bmw cafe racer” you’ll see a lot of similarly styled bikes that have a cleaner, lighter look. Some light shining in between the tank and the engine, if possible, would help.

25. Gronde says:

Post-war, neo-classical, modern-retro Hipster? Did I leave anything out?

26. Joel says:

Come to daddy, you hunka burning moto-lust! We will make beautiful memories together, you and I. The CB1100 is a dog; you’re the bomb. Say you’ll be mine.

• stinkywheels says:

+1!

• Provologna says:

AMEN, and AMEN!

Oh, my…(after the tires side walls are scruffed, the tires fully warmed)…the exhilaration of the first fast, smooth, on-camber freeway on-ramp…ripping up to 90 mph, then slowing down so cages behind you can pass, watching the heads twist in the cages as they pass by, wanting a longer view of your bike, caged riders filled with envy and lust for your ride…

27. Agent55 says:

FiNALLY we get to see this bike! While it’s maybe a tad busy in some of the details I’m overall really impressed with it, well done BMW!

28. harry haller says:

Totally looks like moto guzzi griso!

29. hipsabad says:

is that a little steering damper i think i’m seeing? What, BMW can’t engineer away the wobble without a damper? How charmingly retro!

30. hipsabad says:

that video has the power to make me want to park things permanently after 4 decades riding.

31. skybullet says:

The clean functional look is a giant leap in the right direction. OK, it would have been MUCH better if they made it lighter with better suspension (I’m OK with the engine)but the bean counters figured this was the best/cheapest way to go. I have owned a bunch of BMW’s over the years and they just keep getting uglier. This is a good trend, I hope it succeeds.

32. Randy says:

I’ve owned three airheads, kind of wished I’d kept the 73 R/75/5 OWB… Owned 2 oil heads. Basically, never again.

Even if I thought this bike looked good and didn’t kind of resent BMW in general, that suspension travel! On older BMW models the travel was on the long side and I thought that worked well on rough mountain roads. This one looks to be a chops buster.

• Provologna says:

Owned about 75 bikes. Unquestionably my (?) R90/6 was the most comfortable suspension, not by a small margin.

• Randy says:

Oops – I meant LWB.

Those old /5’s and /6’s weren’t bad handling either, if you were a smooth rider. I was very pleasantly surprised at my first ride in the mountains on the /5.

Last year I had to have a three level cervical fusion, so I’m a LOT more interested in having a plush suspension.