BMW Unveils the R nineT: The Retro Standard You Have Been Waiting For? (With Video)

101613top-i-2

101613side1-2

If you take a minute, you will realize this is a big deal. After the staid German manufacturer collaborated with Roland Sands recently on a controversial, naked custom, we wondered aloud what this meant. Frankly, we didn’t care for the look of the Roland Sands’ bike, but this production model knocks us out.

The BMW R nineT represents a simple, no frills standard-style motorcycle with plenty of modern performance … yet, it is loaded with heritage, principally derived from the air-cooled Boxer engine. Think about the following contrast.  Honda’s CB1100, which pays homage to numerous air-cooled Hondas of the past, weighs 540 pounds and makes a claimed 86 horsepower and 68 foot/pounds of torque. This new BMW, on the other hand, might be the retro-ripper of your dreams. It is 51 pounds lighter than the Honda, makes 110 hp, and has 88 foot/pounds of torque! All that power and torque at street RPM levels.

A modern six-speed gearbox and shaft drive is combined with some very serious brakes, including dual 320 mm front rotors gripped by four-piston radial calipers. ABS is standard.

BMW is emphasizing the new R nineT as the perfect starting point for customization, and has designed the bike to receive simple bolt-on replacement parts. Several customizers undoubtedly have this bike already, and BMW has several parts in-house which can be bolted to the R nineT, including optional seat units and exhaust, among others. Below is the BMW announcement, a very-well produced video, and full specs. You can also visit the web page set up by BMW.

101613middle1-2

BMW R nineT. Pure Riding.

Motorcycling has always been a passionate lifestyle. For the past 90 years BMW Motorrad has been ensuring that this remains the same in the future, too. For those who like it pure and original, BMW Motorrad has now developed the perfect machine: the BMW R nineT. A motorcycle featuring purist design and numerous ways of customizing it.

BMW R nineT: Pure Authenticity.

Riding a motorcycle and feeling free. The BMW R nineT combines this feeling with a casually cool look which, in spite of all the details, is unmistakably a member of the BMW family. Further criteria such as ride feel, design and sound lay the foundation for an independent, authentic lifestyle.

101613middle2-2

BMW R nineT: Pure Customizing

The BMW R nineT is powered by an air/oil-cooled 2-cylinder 4-stroke flat twin engine. The instruments consisting of speedometer and tachometer harken back to historical times and emphasize the essential and minimalist visual appeal of the motorcycle. The BMW R nineT is equipped with an upside down fork at the front and with the BMW Motorrad Paralever at the rear. However, the nineT does not only stand out due to its pure design. The nineT offers great options for individualization. No customizing wish is left unfilled. For example there is the removable rear frame, enough space for 6 inch rims and many other options. Even though the BMW R nineT offers so many modification opportunities it remains a real BMW motorcycle from a technical point of view. Standard-fitted ABS ensures highest-degree safety for the nineT, too.

BMW R nineT. Pure Lifestyle.

Pure passion, pure design, pure riding pleasure. This is what makes the BMW R nineT so essential for the classic enthusiast. Modify, ride, have fun. The nineT leaves nothing to be desired with regard to customization. Design your motorcycle, design your life. One name, one purist lifestyle:
BMW R nineT.

Engine
Type Air/oil-cooled flat twin (‘Boxer’) 4-stroke engine, two camshafts and four radially aligned valves per cylinder, central balancer shaft
Bore x stroke 101 mm x 73 mm
Capacity 1,170 ccm
Rated output 81 kW (110 hp) at 7,550 rpm
Max. torque 88 lb/ft (119 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
Compression ratio 12.0 : 1
Mixture control / engine management Electronic intake pipe injection
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed over 125 mph
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 52 mpg at a constant 56 mph (4.5 l)
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h
Fuel type Premium Unleaded
Electrical system
Alternator three-phase alternator 600 W
Battery 12 V / 14 Ah, maintenance-free
Power transmission
Clutch Single dry plate clutch, hydraulically operated
Gearbox Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
Drive Shaft drive
Chassis / brakes
Frame four-section frame consisting of one front and three rear sections, load-bearing engine-gearbox unit, removable pillion frame for single ride use
Front wheel location / suspension Upside-Down telescopic fork with 46 mm diameter
Rear wheel location / suspension Cast aluminium single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; central spring strut, spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
Suspension travel front / rear 4.7 inches / 4.7 inches (120 mm / 120 mm)
Wheelbase 58.1 inches (1,476 mm)
Castor 4.04 inches (102.5 mm)
Steering head angle 64,5 °
Wheels Spoke wheels
Rim, front 3.50 x 17″
Rim, rear 5.50 x 17″
Tyres, front 120/70 ZR 17
Tyres, rear 180/55 ZR 17
Brake, front Dual disc brake, floating brake discs, diameter 320 mm, four-piston radial calipers
Brake, rear Single disc brake, diameter 265 mm, double-piston floating caliper
ABS BMW Motorrad ABS
Dimensions / weights
Length 87.4 inches (2,220 mm)
Width (incl. mirrors) 35.0 inches (890 mm)
Height (excl. mirrors) 59.8 inches (1,265 mm)
Seat height, unladen weight 30.9 inches Standard
Inner leg curve, unladen weight 69.3 inches Standard
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 489 lbs (222 kg)
Dry weight
Permitted total weight 948 lbs (430 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment) 459 lbs (208 kg)
Usable tank volume 4.8 gal (18 liters)
Reserve approx. 0.8 gal
  • Technical data relate to the unladen weight (DIN)
  • 1) According to guideline 93/93/EWG with all fluids, fuelled with at least 90% of usable tank volume

101613middle3-2

101613middle4-2

101613middle5-2

101613middle6-2

101613middle7-2

1. Austin ZZR 1200 says:

Shouldn’t a retro standard take regular gas? Which reminds me..did motorcycles used to take leaded gas in the days when that was the norm? Just curious.

It needs a beak. Only a small one. A nub. Or a beakette.

3. Tom R says:

This looks a lot like the R1200 “Super Moto” bike that BMW made in limited numbers a couple of years back. The forks look nearly identical.

4. Martin B says:

I think this is aimed at those reminiscing over the 1974 R90/6, which was compared to the Kawa 900 in the day, and found to be better in the corners and with similar overtaking oomph (if not down changing).

I only once rode a flat twin, and found it unrefined compared to my usual Jap fare, around town, but once on the open road it became a joy. It was silk smooth, had great balance and easy handling, with none of the top heavy feel of a Honda four. The stiff throttle and clutch were downsides, but I felt the potential was there for a proper redesign to get it right.

This may be that redesign.

5. BOSCOE says:

Looks like it was stolen from the Ducati Diavel playbook. It’s like Elizabeth Taylor during her fat phase – you know there’s something special under the bloat. but why bother.
    Meh.

6. MG3 says:

That my friends, is a motorcycle. Pure, simple and beautiful. If they could make one like that for 10K$ I would definitely buy it. Who has the money for this anymore?

• Ken says:

So, if they built it in China with low-quality components for $10,000, you’d buy?
      Oh, right, then it should be $5,000 (but must be 50 pounds lighter, and with another 30hp, of course).
      Who has the money? The people who buy BMWs (their sales are not exactly faltering).

Pondering sales leaders in the US motorcycle market is kind of like touting viewership ratings of obscure sports. The entire new motorcycle market in the US was ~452k units last year (up 2.6%). Total automotive sales in the US was 14.5 million last year.

7. xootrx says:

It’s all a matter of taste, once again, but I like the looks of the bike. If I were in the market for a new bike, I’d take a real close look at this one. However, I agree that it’s not my idea of retro. Most of the comments I read indicate that preferred retro BMWs are more along the lines of the R90S. Not so with me. I’m more inclined to want something pre-1970s style, like the R69.

But I like this thing. Not much to do with it but slap on a windshield. I have all the soft luggage I need to make it travel worthy. The only exception being if those wheels are not tubeless, then forget the whole thing.

8. richard says:

like the bike…hate the tank..couldve done a better job to look more retro…toaster tank would look better

needs clip-ons. ohhh… and more cowbell.

10. Cage free says:

I read that BMW did lots of testing in Italy for this bike.. Id bet somewhere close to Mandello del Lario seeing how much it looks like my 12 Griso..

11. Vrooom says:

But how many Honda 1100s could you buy for one of these? At least 2, probably more.

12. Ed Chambers says:

Best looking beemer yet.I would have loved to see the toaster tank make a come back but still worlds better looking than anything else in their line up.

13. Fred says:

Wow, I’m not nearly hipster enough for the video or the bike. First bike was a used R75 /5. Would love to have something that looked like that again with a bit of modeern performance. Can’t blame BMW, they are trying to make money and many times where the market is isn’t where our personal preferences are.

14. Jay says:

It needs a front fender beak to round out the “Looks only a Mother Could Love” theme.

Really. BMW should have taken a queue from it’s old 90S, like it was supposed to do.

• goose says:

Sadly, I think they did take their queues from the R90S. They just did a horrible job of bringing the bike into the new age.

As several people have said, a bike that looks like an R90S but works like a modern bike would be fantastic. This ain’t that bike, it might work well but it fails the looks side of the task.

BMW has had a number of hits lately, I guess this bike shows you can’t win ‘em all.

Goose

15. David Duarte says:

I like it! I like the overall look, although I’d prefer a bigger headlight. I wish BMW would make a smaller, lighter version, something like the Guzzi V7, a modern version of the R75 that still looks retro. That would rock!

16. grumpy8521 says:

Looks good, like the tail section. I think, though, for the money I’ll just stick with my ZRX1200. Same performance as the new Beemer, 1/2 the cost. That’s just me.

17. MGNorge says:

To my eye I don’t see so much retro as I see BMW funk. BMW has always rolled their own when it comes to styling and this looks like a custom shop had its way. Looks are looks though, how it fits and feels would be paramount. Lastly, any enthusiasm for it may be tempered with its price.

18. takehikes says:

I like it but like so many of these I still dont get the huge space under the rear fender not to mention the always awkward looking license plate appendage…..nice try but I know the price will not justify it…CB1100 here I come.

19. mk says:

Well since no one has said it, let me say that BMW is pulling a HARLEY with this parts bin special.

There I said it

20. riderart says:

If that video is the essence of BMW…… I am selling mine.

21. Jon-Lars says:

I see… they found a bunch of gawd-ugly old poseur Airheads with which to surround the new model, in order to prettify it in comparison.

Meh.

right then, just need to lay my hands on a steib, an earles front end, and a set of dunstalls and i’m all set.

PS: leave the rear seat cowl attached. without looks like so much docked Rottweiler.

23. Lenz says:

BMW has had a good look at the Guzzi Griso before committing to this bike but it looks a little bulky compared to the Griso.

It’s not a standout performance machine but the uncluttered, back to basics approach suggests this bike has the potential to become a real benchmark model with wide usage particularly if the price is kept down.

I like this latest offering from BMW – I’m a fan of simple elegance in design

24. Francois says:

Best looking Roadster since the short revamp they did to the R in the nineties, I think it was, just before the 1150R came out, very similair looking.

25. clasqm says:

It’s a standard It’s a nice standard. Should be a blast to ride. But is it a retro?

The point of a retro is that it references a bike from the past. The Triumph Bonneville references, well, the old Triumph Bonneville. The Guzzi V7 references the old guzzis. The Honda CB1100 is a bit more complex: its design language was taken from various CB models of the past. But you get the idea.

But the only “retro” touch on this bike is that they’ve gone back to conventional front forks and analogue clocks. And then it stops. Does the bulbous tank remind anyone of the slim one on a R90? What classic BMW model came with a 2-into-2 exhaust exiting on the left? The rear end, with that vast gap between tyre and fender, spells “post-1990 sportbike”.

Here’s a BMW retro done right: http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/06/10/bmw-r1200r-conversion-classic-kit-sold-unit-garage/

I’m not saying it’s a bad bike. If it floats your boat, buy it. But I just can’t see it as a retro.

• Ken says:

“But is it retro?”
      As a Bonneville owner, I couldn’t care less about “retro.” Personally, I wish the word was never coined (for “commoners” to throw around, as if they were art critics). Like my Bonnie, this is an honest machine that conforms to what I value – what someone else here described as “simple elegance.” And it looks like fun.

I also agree that it doesn’t scream “retro”. It just comes of as a functional, minimalist bike. Frankly, that is why I like all retro bikes and, like Ken, could care less whether or not the bike falls into the “retro” category. I too wish that stupid word would find its way out of common use.

• 70's Kid says:

“Retro” is not the world that comes to my mind when it comes to this bike.

“Steampunk” seems much more fitting to me, although in a good sense.

26. VLJ says:

Well, seeing as how I’ve had the R1100R and the current R1200R, I’m about as much of the target market for this thing as anyone could be. I’m guessing they want guys like me to go crazy for this new retro version.

Okay, my initial impressions…

-Overall, I like the look. It’s gawdawful with the rear seat removed, but otherwise it’s sort of Guzzi-cool. Love the BMW logo included in the headlight. Nice touch. The basic, non-Telelever forks with the radial-mounted brakes and spoke wheels look the part. The fact that those upside-down forks are non-adjustable on a $15K bike with sporting pretensions, however, is inexcusable. Not a fan of the enormous, slab-sided knee cutouts on the tank, either. I think it would look better if they hadn’t given it that contrasting silver color. Just leave it the same color as the rest of the tank, and add some retro-styled knee pads, a la the Triumph Bonneville.

-Specs-wise, I’m a bit underwhelmed. It’s essentially identical to the current R1200C, with the only differences being a very slightly shorter wheelbase (4/5ths of an inch) and about ten fewer pounds, but then it also doesn’t offer the R1200C’s (or R’s) centerstand, which accounts for much of those missing ten lbs right there.

The thing is, with the more powerful, partially water-cooled iteration having already debuted on the GS, it’s only a matter of time before it also shows up on the Roadster and RT. I think I’d want to wait for that motor. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like the current air-cooled 1200cc boxer isn’t already plenty powerful enough for use in a naked bike, but who wouldn’t rather have the smoother, snarlier, more powerful water pumper?

The other thing I see (or don’t see, rather) with this new retro version is any provision for BMW’s excellent hard bags. I realize that BMW is positioning this one as the stripped down “less is more/back to basics” sportier version (well, as basic as any high $$ modern BMW could ever be), but if that’s the case then I would also want a corresponding reduction in weight to go with a corresponding increase in power and suspension sophistication.

Instead, it would seem that all we’re getting is a sportier look. The performance will be basically identical, despite the bike’s reduced functionality. And for all of that, I’m guessing we’ll also see an even higher pricetag.

While I have little doubt that this thing will sell very well, it doesn’t ‘wow’ me the way I was hoping it would. Bottom line, if it’s going to retain the same motor, then the rest of the bike needs to go on a serious diet. If it’s going to weigh basically the same, then it needs the more powerful water-cooled motor and higher-spec, adjustable suspenders.

As it stands now, I think the current R1200R/C is the better bike, and almost equally good-looking.

• Ralph says:

There are some asthetic and technical details with using the new water pumper.

The water pumper airbox is above the engine, the throttle bodies are on top of the cylinder head, and the exhaust exits the bottom of the cylinder head. This is not exactly asthetically pleasing if you’re trying to pay homage to the original R90.

Also, with the airbox above the engine, the tank volume would be severely reduced, leaving far less than the 4.8g usable there now. Or, the tank would have to be made bigger, and that would be out of balance with the rest of the design.

I’d love for this bike to have 125hp, but I see why they did what they did, and even with “only” 110hp, this 489# bike should be nice and peppy. I’d bet these forks are dumbed down S1000RR forks, so adjustability could have been included.

Release an R spec version of the bike with fully adjustable suspension andI’d give it a good look.

• VLJ says:

Ralph, I don’t know about you, but looking at this thing I don’t see a whole lot of R90. What I see is an R1200 Classic with conventional forks, a split exhaust, a narrower/longer tank, a smaller headlight, radial brakes, and compromised passenger accommodations.

Now, looking at a liquid-cooled 2013 R1200GS and comparing it to an air-cooled 2012 model, the only obvious visual difference that jumps out at me (besides the headlights) is the exhausts exiting the bottom of the cylinder heads. The small radiators are very well hidden.

I think they could have used the new motor here, with very little compromising of the styling. Or, since the air-cooled motor is perfectly fine, they simply should have reduced the weight and given it higher-spec suspension.

• Ralph says:

OK, maybe R90 is a stretch, but I still think the older engines with the pipes exiting front look nicer, and I’m sure they wanted this bike to look nice. The pipes on the GSw look like ass, but I don’t mind so much because the rest of a GSw looks like ass. (Not that I wouldn’t buy one, they ride great. Just ugly). Reduced weight and better suspension increases price, and that price may exceed theor market target. Make the bike too expensive and folks may decide to buy a supersport instead.

If it turns out to be a 15K bike, I would agree with you. I am hoping that the non-adjustable fork and older engine design is an indication that they intend to be a little more competitive with the price.

• hipsabad says:

best comment so far, VLJ

27. John says:

It’s nice to see a motorcycle that doesn’t make your eyes bleed from all the sharp edges. If I had a ton of money, I’d probably buy that, or any of the other BMW roadsters. Honda needs to do something like this with their underutilized 1300cc transverse V4 from the ST. I’m sure they’d screw it up though……

28. Jdilpkle says:

Designers with way too much free time on their hands in the Fatherland.
    Gag me with a spoon.

29. goose says:

Well, I guess everybody has an opinion. Mine this is a really ugly bike. Like somebody said, I’d take an R1200R over this thing without needing to think about.

Goose

30. Krisd says:

Looks good, but those horizontal cylinders are sure to take out the knee caps of some poor unsuspecting pedestrians…….

31. Jon-Lars says:

The hipster is strong in those ones.

32. Ted says:

First BMW I’ve liked the look of in a long, long time.

Guess we’ll see what the MRSP looks like, and evaluate in early 2015.

33. red says:

I really like a round headlight. Wish the japanese designers would bail on the angular origami headlights and come back to the simple/clean round bucket.

34. Bob says:

This is the best looking new BMW in years. I generally don’t like Beemers but I like this one.

35. Rich says:

This is a handsome bike. I love the sculptural design of the lower triple clamp – other details too. As some have said, the CB1100F is quite good-looking; however, I was stunned when I saw what its weight. I lost interest immediately.

This may get me in the market for a new bike again.

36. joe b says:

currently riding a CB1000R, and liking it, I can see the attraction of this bike. creepy as it sounds, I like it, and I’ll bet the magazines will too.

37. Cinderbob says:

That seat looks about as comfortable as a concrete slab.

38. denny says:

Oh boy…. this is zeksy motorrad; me want and badly!

39. Mike Simmons says:

The one with a solo seat is an ugly spud! I think the CB1100 is a much classier bike, but BMW is on the right track unless they go nutz with the price.

40. allworld says:

Well I may be the retro standard bike some people have been waiting for, but not me.
    I like the looks to some degree, not sure what it will cost, but it sure is heavy. It will do a buck and a quarter, Wow…….. imagine a 1170cc bike that can go that fast, it not only looks retro it actually is antiquated.

• Dirck Edge says:

So your requirement for a retro standard is that it does more than 125mph? Have you ever ridden a naked bike more than 125mph? In the real world this BMW will out-perform most modern standards (in terms of acceleration on the street), not to mention retro bikes.

• Bartman50 says:

Man! Yet another squid that has bought into the hype that a motorcycles top speed is in direct corriliation to the size of the NADs of ther person who bought it. In my 40+ years ofr riding many types of motorcycles, I still can’t believe that this kind of thinking still gets instilled in many riders’ mindsets.

bartman50

• Stratkat says:

Interest in top speed has been woven into the very DNA of men since the beginning of time!!
        You say it like it’s a bad thing!

• Tom R says:

Top speed is really about the most irrelevant performance statistic there is. As long as a street bike will do 120, especially a naked one, you’ll be just fine.

BTW, standard procedure for BMW is to state a slightly conservative and vague number for top speed, as in “over 125 mph”. I had an R1200GS at a GPS-measured 134 before backing off. I felt that was fast enough.

• Bartman50 says:

No, the speed isn’t the issue, just the implication that one must own the fastest, or the one with the most horsepower, or the quickest around the track, etc., and that all else is by definition, a lacking or worse motorcycle. This is a naked, and if you have any experience on an unfaired motorcycle or even lacking a windscreen, 125 is more than enough speed. But as “ALLWORD” says, it’s antiquated. Pah!! Very narrow minded.

• Stratkat says:

of course its not the only issue but its there nevertheless. i actually own a SD and have hit 140 on it several times. sure theres no fairing its visceral, love the thing.

• Ralph says:

Hello allworld, please go peruse the BMW Motorrad US web site. BMW lists the top speed of all their bikes as “over 125 mph”, even the mighty S1000RR (which is capable of speeds into the high 180′s). I’d bet this little nineT would be good for the low to mid 130′, and that’s plenty fast for a naked.

I am willing to bet it will crush every other “retro” offering by all performance measures despite its weight.

41. Oilhead says:

BMW Unveils the R nineT: The Germans Finally Admit To Losing The War

42. Azi says:

Non-adjustable conventional USD forks? That’s a first for a contemporary BMW boxer.

Nice looking bike. But why would anyone want to remove the rear end of the seat/subframe. If this is a new style trend I want no part of it. Looks like it tail-ended by a Chevy.

44. Michael H says:

I promised myself that I’d never again buy a BMW motorcycle. This bike could be a test of character.

Okay, I thought about it and no sale. It’s the previous generation engine, transmission and final drive. It’s not all that different than an R1200R. The local dealer is still a Dodge dealer who bought a BMW franchise and has a sales team that is blissfully unaware of the details of the motorcycles they sell.

Would it be a fun ride? Sure, on clear sunny days. Not so much when the weather isn’t perfect.

But I am having moments of weakness.

45. mickey says:

As for BMW I’d rather have the R1200R Classic, but in truth I considered that bike before buying my Honda CB 1100. Happy with what I bought, even if it has less horsepower and chain drive. The Honda looks tons better imo.

46. Dennis says:

I’m in the market for a new bike and this is really impressing me.
    I can’t wait to see it in the flesh at the IMS New York show.
    I’ve never questioned BMW’s quality, only the price they want for their bikes.
    If it’s priced right, I’m going to give this a hard look.

47. Jeremy in TX says:

I think I want one, and I swore I would never buy another BMW. Wonder how much they are going to cost…

• denny says:

Except on Griso, you are stretched like dog.

• 70's Kid says:

BMW Griso. No kidding. That really nails it.

• richard says:

not even close to a Griso….Guzzi are masters of retro style….have an 04 V11…when i think of BMW …i think of touring bikes with too many gadgets..except the 1000r. BMW are stepping up out of the’re regualar line up…good for them.

• 70's Kid says:

I’m only referring to the R nineT in particular, not BMWs in general. When looking at pictures of this bike and the Griso, they look far more similar to one another than either bike does to the rest of the offerings from their respective manufacturers. While I personally wouldn’t consider the purchase of either the Griso or the R nineT, I do like their styling to a certain degree and feel like they both fit into a niche fulfilled by few other bikes being offered today.

48. Tom says:

Where is the Bill the Cat headlight??