Honda continues to build a family of CTX models with the introduction of the 1261 cc v-4 CTX1400. This is a big bike (curb weight of 724 pounds), but the center of gravity is very low (we sat on the bike last week).
Honda expects this to be a big, comfortable, mile muncher with loads of torque and spacious accommodations for both passenger and luggage. A color-matched rear trunk will be an option.
When we saw it last week in the flesh, the bike looked much better than it has in photos. The broad, low seat felt very inviting.
Honda chose to put some unusual tire sizes on the big CTX, including a 200/50R-17 in the rear and a 130/70R-18 in the front. We will see how the bike handles when we test it, but Honda claims “remarkably nimble manners”.
The bags are not easily removed, but we understand they can be removed with a few bolts.
A Deluxe model gets an extensive audio package with Bluetooth connectivity, self-cancelling turn signals, ABS and blacked-out styling elements. Here are the details from Honda on the new CTX1300 and 1300 Deluxe:
The all-new CTX1300 expands the innovative concept first introduced with the CTX series—the idea of combining higher levels of comfort and technology to create a riding experience unique to Honda. These bikes place a premium on ease of use and a spacious rider environment with comfortable ergonomics. But now, by extending Honda’s longstanding and successful heritage of V-4 technology, the CTX1300 adds a full load of 1300-class muscle with exhilarating right-now thrust accompanied by a distinctive V-4 engine pulse and exhaust note. That helps make the CTX1300 an advanced motorcycle in multiple ways—one that incorporates class-leading comfort, unusually broad-shouldered versatility and new technology to deliver an unmatched riding experience. Its moderate weight, low center of gravity (CG) and nimble handling make the CTX1300 a joy to ride wherever the day may lead, while its styling gives it a unique look that makes it stand out in a crowd. There’s also a Deluxe model that adds technology such as an audio package including Bluetooth® connectivity, self-cancelling turn signals, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) and Traction Control, plus blacked-out styling elements that all add to the CTX1300’s distinctive equation.
Features & Benefits
- Liquid-cooled 1261cc longitudinally mounted V-4 engine tuned specifically for exhilarating off-the-line thrust and easy-to-access linear power delivery.
- CTX1300 powerplant furthers Honda’s longstanding and successful heritage of V-4 engine technology.
- Blend of sporty performance with spacious and comfortable rider accommodations, including fairing, short windscreen and integrated hard saddlebags.
- Low seat height of 29.1 inches, curb weight of 724.2 pounds and low CG combine to give the CTX1300 remarkably nimble manners.
- Underseat fuel tank helps lower overall CG.
- Fat 200-series rear tire for an especially brawny profile.
- Long and low look for a unique styling package.
- Speedometer/tachometer cluster with LCD information screen.
- LED headlight with halo accent lighting.
- LED taillight and turn signals.
Includes all of the above plus:
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) for added stopping confidence in varying road and weather conditions.
- Traction Control limits rear-wheel slippage during hard acceleration or during acceleration on low-traction road surfaces.
- Self-canceling turn signals.
- Audio Package including Bluetooth connectivity for a new level of rider convenience.
- Blacked-out styling elements for a distinctive look.
Honda Genuine Accessories†
Tall Windscreen, Audio Package (for standard model), Heated Grips, Heated Grip Attachment, 12-Volt Accessory Socket, Rear Carrier, Centerstand, Chrome Handlebar Ends, Chrome Windscreen Garnish, Chrome Engine Shrouds, Chrome Back Mirror Covers, Chrome Valve Covers, Chrome Master Cylinder Cap, Chrome Clutch Lever, Chrome Brake Lever, Color-Matched 45L Rear Trunk, LED Fog Lights
Accessories subject to change.
Model: CTX1300 / CTX1300 Deluxe
Engine Type: 1261cc liquid-cooled longitudinally mounted 90° V-4
Bore and Stroke: 78mm x 66mm
Compression ratio: 10.0:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with electronic control IACV, four 36mm throttle bodies, eight holes per injector
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with 3-D mapping and electronic advance
Final Drive: Shaft
Front: Inverted 45mm fork; TBD inches travel
Rear: Twin rear shocks with spring preload; TBD inches travel
Front: Dual 310mm front discs
Rear: Single 315mm rear disc with CBS
ABS (Deluxe model)
Wheelbase: 64.5 inches
Rake (Caster angle): 28° 5’
Trail: 114.3mm (4.5 inches)
Seat Height: 29.1 inches
Fuel Capacity: 5.1 gallons
Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD
Colors: Metallic Black, Gray Blue Metallic, Candy Red
Curb Weight*: 724.2 pounds (CTX1300) / 731.4 pounds (CTX1300 Deluxe)
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride.
**Miles per gallon values are calculated estimates of fuel consumed during laboratory exhaust emissions tests specified by the EPA, not during on-road riding. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride and maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, cargo and accessories, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
©2013 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. • All Rights Reserved • Specifications subject to change
Bluetooth® is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.