Honda Trots Out New VFR800F: 22 Pounds Lighter and More Power

Top4

side1-4

Are there still VFR faithful out there?  Honda has not forgotten you.  A new VFR800F went on display in Milan today.  Featuring new styling, including a single, underslung exhaust and new bodywork.  The new VFR800F has a much simplier, cleaner look, and it loses 22 pounds in the process versus last year’s European model.  Claimed wet weight (fully fueled) is now down to 525 pounds.  Peak horsepower is 106.

A new fork, new swingarm, and wheels go along with adjustable seat height and a standard traction control system.  Also standard is ABS, heated grips and self-cancelling turn signals.

The v-4 soul gets tweaked for an increase in low and mid-range power.  Revised ergonomics, including a “significantly slimmer waist”, together with the weight loss, should make the bike feel more nimble.

The headlights are LEDs, as is the tail light.  Instrumentation is also new, and now includes a gear position indicator, ambient temperature and fuel consumption information.

We do not know at this time if the new VFRR800F is headed for the U.S. market for 2014.  Stay tuned.

middle1-4

middle2-4

middle3-4

bottom4

1. Garry Hirons says:

As a VFR rider since 1996, 750 ,800 VTEC x2. I like the look of the new machine, the styling looks more like the last of the 750s, which is good. What I want from my next bike is, a VFR with more power and torque from a none VTEC engine and less weight, I.e a new, updated VFR! It looks like Honda may have succeeded overall but I will have to have a look in the flesh and a test ride. I tried a 1200 but all that weight is just wrong.

2. pAUL says:

Just when i get my 2011 VFR800 sorted (fueling and handling), along comes the 2014 VFR800. Honda Australia lowered the price of the VFR800 some years ago to a level that made them a bargain, i assume, to move stock. For me to entertain an upgrade (?) to the 2014 model, pricing and/or change over will have to comparable. No way am i going to fork out lots of $’s to change should Honda want to charge ‘normal’ retail price for the 2014 model.

As for my current VFR. It is an excellent bike for both hills riding and touring. I ride reasonably quickly (relying on corner speed) and with the bike setup i have i rarely get into Vtech territory and the racket that comes with it. The Vtech works well when going for it and passing though. I have owned lots of sport bikes in previous years but the VFR is the best and easiest bike i have ridden. I dare say the 2014 VFR800 will be an improvement in both power delivery and handling with the new features more a marketing ploy than being essential. Traction control on a V4 with not a lot of power and plenty of weight is not essential or i would argue, necessary. For touring, i would gladly swap for a full-on cruise control like the new Yamaha FJR1300.

I like the red color. Honda’s should be red. Red bikes are faster.

3. Senna says:

Huh, more horse power they`ve said . Mine is 2008 and has got 109HP. The new one has 106.Yesss, that is big improvement HONDA.:(
    I would expected at least 120HP, at least 95Nm of torque, with the same engine. And 80 lbs wait downsizing to satisfy todays market needs.
    I`m thinking this is facelifted old one, but facelift looks cheaply done(it doesn`t look and feel something special like the old one, it looks now just like an everage bike).

HONDA I`m once again dissapointed.

4. Joe Lewis says:

My 2006 Gunmetal black VFR 800 was a much better looking bike. Seems like Honda needs to hire some Italian designers to dress up the ugly bikes they are putting out. VFR used to be the most stylistic model around. Compare the new VFR to the new MV800. Wow what a difference.
    Maybe Honda should give up the bike business and make some Minivans.

• Alex V. says:

Couldn’t agree more. All Honda’s new models look totaly uninspired and dull. Italian/non italian, not sure what, but they do need to hire a new designer.

• Senna says:

I agree too. It doen`t have character no more. Better would be, if the face would stay preety the same, only new accesories would be added. And yes, it should have more power. At least 120HP. How is it posibble for 20 years that Honda can`t improve 800cc engine for at least 10%. Even Volkswagen can do it.

5. Gronde says:

V-TEC on no gear-driven cams makes this bike a loser right out of the gate.

What’ the benefit of gear driven cams, a neat noise?

• bartman50 says:

The use of gear driven cams as opposed to belt, chain, or hybrid types of systems provide more can timing stability especially at high rpm’s, and are therefore(or were) in high performance and racing applications.
        But I highly disagree with what “Gronde” posted. Vtec has been sorted out now for a number of years. After all it has been 10-12 years since the initial implementation, which we all agree, sucked. I’m not saying I like the technolgy, which I think was pretty primative by Honda’s standards. But they has smoothed out the transition between running on two valves per cylinder to four. But iut is fuctionbal and reliable. This bike/motor is not a “looser”.

So gear drive is really overkill for such a conservatively tuned engine.

Anything that revs past 8000rpms could benefit from gear-driven cams. Even conservatively tuned engines could benefit from it due to the reduced friction they provide. The reason you don’t see them used is because of cost – they are very expensive compared to a chain and tensioner setup. I think most, if not all, of the current sport bikes even use timing chains for this reason.

• bartman50 says:

There is also the issue that gear driven cam engines produce more “noise” as ass the EPA has noise regulations to follow, cannot be implemented for reasonable costs nowadays.
            But technology has progressed to the point where new methods for cam profiling and high rev stability can be enhanced by different methods. The most extreme I have heard of is of a pneumatic or hydraulic system that actuates the valves instead of an actual can, and with the advent of faster computing, can actually change lift and duration on the fly depending on road conditions and demands on the motor. Of course in racing this means that a team could “profile” the race course into how the motor operates. Think more torque out of corners and more horsepower for straights.

• Gronde says:

It’s a loser because most every VFR rider that I know would have rather just had an increase to 1000cc’s and gear-driven cams w/ no V-TEC. Might have even been simpler and cheaper to build, too. This bike is probably not coming to the USA anyway, so it’s all a moot point.

• Bob L. says:

I have had 5 VFR’s 1984, 86′, 90′, 98′ and 2001(none w/V-TEC). Back in 2002, all I wished for was a bump to 1000cc’s and reduced weight. I fell out-of-love with VFR’s in 2002. Never was a fan of underseat exhaust. This new VFR looks good to me and I think it’ll come to the US. I’ll keep an open mind about the V-TEC motor, because I miss the versatility of the VFR’s as a great all-around, sporty-tourer. Sell price will be “key”.

• bartman50 says:

I see that by “loser”, you mean a bike that won’t sell rather than one that under performs if I can take your last comment so.
            But I whole hardidly agree about the displacement increase. Ever since the VTEC change I was hoping for a more substantial evolvement from Honda as in going to a full liter design, upgrading to the latest or even innovating new electronics( This is/was Honda’s platform for innovation), and whatever might enhance the ride experience. It’s not like they couldn’t make plenty of horsepower and torque from 1000cc. But they had to go with 1200cc, an automatic transmission, that most saw as technology for technologies sake, and heavy weight with no real travel range. I mean. a 4.5 gallon tank for 1200cc motor!!!!
            Let’s try this whole VFR again, please.

They did increase the displacement- the VFR1200. It is obviously a very different motorcycle.

• Bob says:

Vtec may be “sorted” but it still requires a massive service to check the system. Many dealers actually pull the engine for this one. Vtec doesn’t do anything and needs to go away.

We are not going to see gear-driven cams on anything short of the most high performance bikes available ever again. It is time the VFR faithful accept that. I’ll hold my opinion on the VTEC until I ride one, but I highly doubt it is anywhere near as big a deal as people make it out to be and is probably a pretty good system by now, or else surely Honda would have ditched it.

To me, the big question is why Honda couldn’t produce an 800cc sport touring bike under 500lbs. If Yamaha moves quickly to expand it’s FZ-09 platform and the remarkably low manufacturing costs apparently associated with it to sport, sport-touring and adventure platforms, they are going to have a lot of their competitors burning the midnight oil for a while.

• xlayn says:

That’s one of the best things it could happen, a player to come with such a product that no one else could do but innovate.

6. HTown says:

Wow, here’s my replacement for my sv650s. I had ’83 and ’85 interceptors. Looks like

Honda has nailed the update. Please bring this one stateside !

7. JoeBob says:

nice job honda !

8. bartman50 says:

I like the look. I am definitely an old timer having been riding over 40 years, but I think the latest styles try to push the style envelope too far just for change sake. This clean design is refreshing and functional. Now if they would only make a fill litre size one of these…..

9. Sebastian Seabitcher says:

OMG Miguel on vfrdiscussion must of creamed his shorts when he saw those pictures of the new VFR. Now he just has to crash the free VFR he got so he can get this one!

10. motorider604 says:

I’ve owned six other variations of VFR’s,I currently ride a 2006 VFR with ABS all year round, it’s been flawless for my needs. I looked at and rode the current 1200, I didn’t dislike it, just didn’t have that connection with the bike to want to buy it. Has alot of the things that I would like to have on a smaller bike. looks like someone at Honda had the same idea. I would certainly buy this new VFR800F if it became available in Canada.

11. Al says:

Nice Honda! If it comes to Canada, I will, for sure, have a look at it.
    What can I say, I like the Honda’s V4 ! I’ve had so many (1983 & 85 Interceptor750 – 1986 Interceptor750 – 1990 VFR750 – 2005 VFR800 – 2010 VFR1200).

12. Erik says:

As an owner of an ’01 and an ’07 Red/ White/ Blue Anniversary, I am glad to see Honda give the Interceptor a new face lift.

I love the wheels and the nod to the old Interceptors/ VFRs with the NACA duct on the side. There’s a bit of the Gen 5 (’98-’01) look in the front as well. Thankfully they didn’t use too much of the VFR 1200 “Shamu” styling.

Everyone always complains about the VTEC. I didnt realize that almost every rider out there has actually tried it for themselves. Maybe because I used to ride two stroke sportbikes the VTEC valve doesn’t bother me much. A Power Commander, pulling the emissions garbage and a set of pipes later-its barely noticeable and I can get over 200 miles out of the 5.8 gallon tank.

Its easy to see how Honda lost 22 pounds- the under tail exhausts from the last generation weigh at least 50 lbs! I like the look of them better though.

Hopefully Honda will change their mind and bring this new ‘Ceptor to the states. There seems to be a big hole in the “lightweight” sport touring segment right now with Triumph dropping the Sprint ST/ GT.

13. Bill L. says:

Hmmm, Increased low and mid-range power. I wonder if they chucked the V-Tec. I always thought that set up ruined the seamless power of the earlier models.

14. MarkT says:

Beautiful!
    Loved my 1991 VFR red with the gold accents. This bike has a similar (updated) look.
    I would buy one…come on Honda.

15. Agent55 says:

I’m liking this, a simple and clean design. There’s something cool about black right-side-up forks with radial calipers too.

16. TedW says:

Bring it to North America! Wish I’d never sold my old ’91, but this has it’s nostalgic look. Had many bikes since but nothing really compares.

17. JonL says:

I’m tempted……rode the earlier model and thought it was……..shite. this looks far better.As always, need to see it in the metal, but, this or the MT 09…….hmmmmmm

18. JimS says:

Thank goodness a normal looking motorcycle. I like it. The Interceptor name still resonates with me and has since 1983.

19. Terry M. says:

No thanks (again) I’ll just keep my 86 VFR750F the oldest and best, in my opinion……….

• Jack says:

In 1986 I bought a brand spankin new VFR750F and would agree with your statement. I also woned a 2002 for 5 years also but I do say I like what I see here.