Honda Announces First 2015 Models, Including Futuristic NM4 and Redesigned PCX150

15_NM4_3_4_Blk#2

American Honda today announced a few 2015 models, including the all-new NM4 (pictured above) that we discussed a few days ago, as well as a redesigned PCX150 scooter.

It looks like the U.S. model NM4 will feature the smaller displacement 670cc parallel twin, rather than the 745 cc unit in Europe. While it has “love it or hate it” styling, the NM4 should be quite practical with all of the available storage compartments. Additionally, if you had the chance to chase a Gurney Alligator through the Southern California canyons a decade or so ago, you will realize this chassis has great handling potential. From the photos, it appears Honda has built in excellent ground clearance … hopefully, for a reason.

Here is Honda’s press release covering each of the 2015 models it is announcing today, with corresponding links to appropriate web pages.

Torrance, CA: In recent new-model releases, Honda has covered an extensive span across all categories with more than 20 exciting new powersports products. This remarkably wide variety has impacted virtually all segments of the market, from lightweight, fun bikes such as the Grom™ and 500 series, to big-displacement trendsetters such as the Valkyrie®, F6B and CTX1300, from the innovative Pioneer™ side-by-sides to great new ATVs. What more can Honda possibly do for 2015? Plenty.

“Honda has a deeply rooted drive toward innovation,” said Powersports Press Manager Bill Savino. “That’s something Honda has repeatedly demonstrated throughout its history in its role as market leader. For 2015, we’re pressing forward with more innovative new products, as well as updates to some of our most popular models.”

NM4

If you’ve ever wanted to transport yourself into the future, this is your machine. By design, the NM4 shakes up the status quo and explodes conventional barriers in order to attract a whole new segment of forward-thinking riders to motorcycling. Beneath its futuristic bodywork there’s a 670cc, liquid-cooled, parallel-twin engine with four valves per cylinder, automatic dual-clutch transmission and ABS. Storage pockets in the fairing plus saddlebags add real-world utility, and the rear turn signals are neatly integrated into the rear bags. The rider settles easily onto a comfy seat that’s perched a low, 25.6 inches off the ground, and there’s also a cool and practical rider backrest feature—the passenger seat flips up and can be set at three different angles and slides fore and aft to one of four positions. Full LED lighting lets the NM4 stand out whether it’s coming or going, the fat, 200mm rear tire imparts a cool look, and the meter display can be illuminated in any of 25 different color choices—nearly one for every day of the month. All this and more add up to one of the coolest new bikes in the Honda line. Color: Black Metallic; Price: $10,999; Availability: June

15_PCX150_Wht
Honda PCX150

PCX150

The PCX150 stands out as a best-seller worldwide thanks to its modern design and remarkable value for money in terms of initial purchase price, low operating costs and thrifty fuel efficiency. Now the next generation arrives. Its low-friction Enhanced Smart Power [eSP™] 153cc, liquid-cooled engine is even more efficient than before, and a larger, 2.1-gallon fuel tank helps give it greater range between fill-ups too. The PCX150 also gets a new look and increased comfort and convenience features, including new seating for rider and passenger comfort. Stylish LED headlights, taillight and turn signals add a trendsetting touch, and a handy 12-volt accessory socket serves as a convenient charging station for personal electronics. With a light curb weight of 295 pounds, a nimble, 51.8-inch wheelbase and a low, 29.9-inch seat height, the PCX150 serves as an easygoing ride that adds a big element of fun to the day’s travels. Colors: Metallic Black, Pearl White; Price: $3449; Availability: July

CRF110F

The CRF110F fills an important role as an entry-level bike for beginning riders because it has all the right stuff: electric starter, modest size, low seat height, automatic clutch to go with the four-speed transmission and a broad power spread from the 109cc, four-stroke engine. It’s tuned to meet the needs of those new to riding with great ergonomics, comfortable and confidence-inspiring rider triangle. And there’s also a throttle-limiter feature for further adjustability. It also features race-inspired looks from the pro-level CRF450R and CRF250R. Color: Red; Price: TBD; Availability: June

CRF50F

Every rider has to start somewhere, and for thousands of riders that somewhere has been a very happy place—the Honda CRF50F. For decades, Honda’s off-road 50s have proven to have the right stuff for beginners to get a great start in off-road riding. There’s the strong and tough 49cc four-stroke engine that’s famous for its durability and friendly power characteristics. The automatic clutch and three-speed gearbox make it easy to build up a strong riding foundation, as do the telescopic fork and single-shock rear suspension. For more than 40 years, Honda 50s have stood tall as the bike of choice for beginners, and that tradition continues today with the CRF50F. Color: Red; Price: TBD; Availability: June

http:/powersports.honda.com/2015/crf50f.aspx

1. jimjim says:

I can’t stop laughing. What are they smoking over there?

2. Eric says:

Judge Dredd, your bike is ready…

I like the idea of a ‘recumbent’ motorcycle like the Gurney ‘Gator but Honda could have done so much more with the styling. I don’t know who their design studio is but it’s time for a reality check.

3. Gronde says:

Craig Vetter should sue Honda for copying his early 1980′s fairing.

4. rider33 says:

let’s see: an eleven thousand dollar maxi-scooter done up in jet-ski trim, I’m thinking this one will be a tough sell along with most of the Jetson line. Bless their pointy little heads, at least they are trying.

5. Buckwheat says:

The NM4 is our punishment for not buying the DN-01. Honda knows what’s good for us and they’re going to keep building futuristic underpowered auto-trans black plastic batbikes until we see the light. I’m trying, Honda! Honest!

• todder says:

Don’t know if anyone elae mentioned the joke I heard at the dealer: DN-01 = Do not own one

Re: “the joke I heard at the dealer: DN-01 = Do not own one”

They sound really serious about being a successful business. I wish I could buy expensive goods from them (not..).

6. Lynchenstein says:

I was hoping the CRF50F would get a supermoto variant with upside-down forks, radial brakes and sticky gumball rubber. Maybe next year, Honda? :-)

7. Joe Bogusheimer says:

The NM4 going into production (or being available?) by June, with the looks (based on the pictures we’ve seen) it has – that’s got to be an April Fools joke, right? I mean the concept is not bad (maybe), but that thing is pretty damned ugly, which is saying something coming from a V-Strom owner. Can we assume the engine is the same gutless wonder they put in the NC700? Bike engines of that size should NOT be limited to a mere 6500 rpm.

8. VLJ says:

No idea who the intended target market for this bike is. Honda touts new riders and women as the goal here, but at $11K for a wheezy little 670cc parallel twin with acres of plastic, chain drive, and a wet weight well in excess of six hundred pounds it just ain’t happening. This thing would need to lose a hundred pounds, half the bodywork and at least $4500 from the msrp before it would have any appeal to noobs. At its current weight and asking price only older (arthritic), more affluent (disposable income to burn) riders might be willing to pony up for the thing. We’re talking the Can-Am Spyder/BMW C650/Silver Wing blue hair crowd.

And I would love to hear Honda’s excuse for offering two motors worldwide, and sticking the U.S. with the weaker one.

• Yoyodyne says:

Wet weight is 562 pounds, still mighty porky. The front brake is a single disc with one two-piston caliper, it will certainly have its work cut out for it to stop this thing.

• KenHoward says:

VLJ: Being ready to go for more comfortable ergonomics – like the NC700X’s – I, too, would love to hear Honda’s excuse for giving the engine a 75cc boost + a few precious additional horsepower and higher gearing (to slow the repeated slamming into the rev limiter), and only offering it outside the U.S.: To me, it’s insulting.

We have become a very minor motorcycle market. We get the leftovers.

It is also possible that they are only building the bikes with the newer, larger engine in factories that are cost prohibitive for us to access bikes from. this is why the CB1000 took so long to make it to the US. It was manufactured in Italy, making it financially unreasonable to bring it over (paying in Euros, EU import taxes, etc.).

• KenHoward says:

‘Could be. I believe the NCs are built in Japan, however, and sold in Canada, which is only 20 miles away from me (and certainly a much smaller market than the U.S.) — very frustrating.

9. Fred says:

I’ve been riding motorcycles and motor scooters for 40+ years. My next motorcycle (car?) which I have placed a deposit on is the Elio at http://www.eliomotors.com . Fully enclosed, seat two in comfort, 84 mpg highway, and an MSRP of only $6800. What’s not to like? When my Elio hopefully arrives next year, it will be the last motorcycle I will ever buy, and I will be selling the 3 motorcycles and scooters I now own and ride at that time. If for some reason the Elio never materializes, I would strongly consider one of these NM4′s, but not at the new MSRP price — but at a hopefully much lower used price. I thought Dan Gurney’s Alligator was quite the motorcycle, unfortunately I could never afford one – or else I would have been riding one. I’ve also spent my life owning small city cars, and riding recumbent bicycles – so I must be out of the mainstream, as I really do like this NM4 and would own one, my new Elio next year not withstanding.

• Jason says:

They can promise the world when the have never sold a single vehicle. I give Elio about a 1% chance of delivering vehicles to the people that gave them deposits. Until the production line is up and running it is just hopes and dreams and government grants.

• bikerrandy says:

I am interested in the Elio too but will believe it’s production and ‘features’ when they are really for sale to the public. Those that now pay $100 are on a wish list to buy 1. If you want to be on a supposed real buy list you pay $1,000. But again the production date keeps on changing. Don’t know of any govt. grants in this deal.

Right now I have 2 Piaggio MP3s and plan on keeping them a long time. The Elio would be for the wife and our 2 small dogs.

• Jason says:

The local government bought the GM plant that Elio intends to use as a production facility.

“Troy, Mi. (Jan. 7, 2013) – Elio Motors has taken the next step in its plan to manufacture its 3-wheel vehicles and bring 1,500 jobs back to the facility just southwest of Shreveport. The Caddo Parish Industrial Development Board (IDB) completed its purchase of the former General Motors Shreveport Assembly and Stamping Plant, allowing Elio Motors to progress in their manufacturing timeline.

Elio Motors will rent approximately 1.5 million square feet of the 4.1 million square foot building from Industrial Realty Group, who leases the building from the IDB. IRG will seek a tenant or tenants for the 2.6 million remaining square feet of the building, which may include suppliers for Elio Motors.”

• bikerrandy says:

A few months ago Elio claimed a private party had bought the empty former GM plant and they were going to rent it from him. Elio sounds as trustworthy as Obama.

• john ir says:

But an Elio is not a motorcycle, good luck with it.

• Randominator says:

It’s interesting that there was a great expose recently on the Dale, a 3 wheel car/cycle of remarkably similar design. Fred and others might be interested in http://gas2.org/2013/08/21/the-elio-motors-saga-if-it-looks-like-a-dale-and-quacks-like-a-dale/
      A cautionary tale if there ever was one.

10. SausageCreature says:

Odd. I want to hate the NM4, but for some reason I just can’t. The idea of a maxi-scoot has it’s appeal (yes, I know it doesn’t have step-through frame or swingarm mounted engine…it’s still about 90% functionally equivalent to a scooter), but I could never picture myself on a Burgman, Silverwing, etc.

It’s better looking than the DN-01 (kind of a low bar, I admit) and cheaper too. I still wouldn’t pay MSRP for one, but I could see myself getting a used one a few years down the line.

• todd says:

It’s not like “scooters” are “step-through” any more any way. Go look at a Vespa which is a true step-through, yet an achronism because it has a manual tranny. A scooter is what a scooter is.

11. todder says:

I think the price was the April Fools joke. This needs to be priced around the cb500x & cb500F range, especially with such a small power plant.

• jake says:

Stop living in the 80′s an 90′s. 10K is chump change in an era where the average salary, for those that still work that is, is 50K. 10K for a bike like no other with the pedigree of being one of the first volleys in the future and final form which the motorcycle will take. Sort of like the Abraham of motorcycles, the father of all the future nations of bikes.

Dude, it’s a bargain and a surefire cult classic. If you buy it within 10 years you will not lose a dime in the bargain. The thing will never depreciate.

• motowarrior says:

If you compare it against scooters like the Suzuki Burgman (same size engine, same price, no panniers) it makes some sense. If you still think it is too high, buy one of Honda’s 500 or 700 cc bikes.

12. jake says:

Have to remember that Honda is a tweener brand. They mainly make bikes for the average Joe, although occasionally they will make an aspirational model, but even then aspirational not so much for its flair and looks as much as for its overall competence and ability to function.

Could Honda have made this bike more beautiful and appealing. Sure, but they, even in their concepts, intend with stick within the borders of the brand. Honda may allow others to beautify the future or to add minimal masculinity to it, but it is clear that Honda wants to take most of the credit for the overall direction the industry is headed. That they do not wish to share.

Bike sales have always been limited by 2 things: the inherent instability of 2 wheels and the horrible fuel economy they get compared to autos. Solve those issues and the bike industry will essentially replace that of the auto – and that’s exactly what Honda eventually intends to do.

Better fuel economy will sell more bikes, I believe, as will the advent of the leaning three-wheelers in the near future, I bet. But heat, cold, precipitation and an unfair advantage vs. an Escalade bumper are the reasons that motorcycles will never replace the auto in this country.

• jake says:

They say the smaller, more nimble and efficient mammals would have never evolved if the dinosaurs did not give away and yield an open opportunity for them to develop. Consider the Escalade as a dinosaur. Commonsense will tell you that over time, not now of course, the excess that is the Escalade has a higher chance of going extinct and obsolete than the smaller, more efficient bikes, and no more Escalade means no more danger from its bumper.

Also, future bikes will be different. All those other concerns of yours will be addressed. Of course, not as well as that of a modern, 4000lb auto, but addressed enough to where the other pluses of the motorcycle begin to outweigh the areas where it will always be somewhat lacking.

I can see a future where there are more bikes than there are now, but I can’t see them replacing autos. Not here anyway. Our lifestyles and vehicle needs are just vastly different than most parts of the world. Even when I lived in Europe, most of the motorcycle/scooter riders rode their scoots not for fuel economy, but for the low cost of entry, the ability to filter through traffic and far more options for parking. Frankly, tires and maintenance for the bikes I have owned nullify any savings from the fuel economy advantage of the bikes.

I think the quickest way to increase motorcycle sales in this country would be to allow lane-splitting throughout the US. I’d wager we’d see bike sales increase by a pretty fat % in just a few years. If there is anything we value enough to give up an air-conditioner and roof for, it’s time. I don’t commute on my bike, but I would if I could filter through traffic. I’d be interested to know the motorcycle:car commuter ratio in the large California metros where lane splitting is allowed vs. places like Houston, Atlanta or Miami.

• jake says:

The U.S. maybe one of the last holdouts, but when its time comes, the era of the giant auto will fall about as quickly and easily as that of the Berlin Wall. Some fool DIY guy is getting 220 mpg out of 125 cc simply by putting a DIY fairing on it.

The advantage of 3 wheels or of a smallish, leanable 4 wheel configuration is not just increased stability and safety, but also the ability to increase the aerodynamics of the bike, it’s Achilles heal when it comes to MPG.

Add 3 wheels to the NM4, with its DCT and high MPG engine, increase its aerodynamics, and you have vehicle which potentially would get 100 mpg easily, right out of the box, with today’s tech and with Honda not even trying.

If they did try, 200 mpg would probably not be too hard to achieve in a package which still provided adequate performance. I’m sorry, but for 200 mpg, esp. when gas hits 10/15 bucks a gallon, even the most die hard auto guy is gonna at least consider making that switch.

• jake says:

Also, when bikes outnumber cars, economy of scales will drastically reduce tire and maintenance costs. Naturally, any boutique item, which motorcycles are in the U.S., used more for recreation than purpose, will have artificially high costs.

When bikes or bike like hybrids become the main mode of transport, all associated costs will drop like a rock.

re: “If there is anything we value enough to give up an air-conditioner and roof for, it’s time.”

not a hot chick.

Now the maintenance on one of those will definitely set you back!

• jake says:

Already addressed the issue, Jeremy. It’s just on mod. Why? I don’t know, but it’s been addressed. Hopefully, my letting you know I’m on mod doesn’t get modded as well.

“… for 200 mpg…”

That would have a significant impact even with $4/gal gas. But I guarantee you that if there were a mass produced, useful motorcycle that could get 200 mpg, then there would be a car that would get 150 mpg and we’d be in the same boat we are now.

• jake says:

And you are right, but that car will be an awful like a bike, and the bike which gets 200mpg will probably be awful like a car. In other words, the unification of the bike and auto industry which the wealth and population boom of Asia alone will necessitate – the forced sharing of resources – even if there were no other factors driving this change, of which there are plenty more.

And unification will happen whether Norm likes it or not, even if they have to drag Norm kicking and screaming to it and ram it down his throat. No matter, this change is coming and there is not a dang thing anyone of us can do about it, not even the almighty Norm G., we all know and love.

re: “Solve those issues and the bike industry will essentially replace that of the auto – and that’s exactly what Honda eventually intends to do.”

sorry jake, but you missed the evolution. the automobile IS the better mouse trap that has supplanted the motorcycle.

• jake says:

Maybe, but I will not missed the next one. This notion of the unification of the motorcycle and scooter, which gets so much fanfare around here, is not what Honda is truly after. That’s mere small potatoes for them. What they are after is the Holy Grail of the motor vehicle industry, the unification of the motorcycle and auto industries.

This could also be why BMW never let go of its bike sector, and why Audi picked up Ducati, and why now Fiat is interested in MV Augusta. Maybe Ford will be interested in HD, LOL. It’s all a preliminary sign of things to come down the line, not in the near future, but also not too far off either.

re: “What they are after is the Holy Grail of the motor vehicle industry, the unification of the motorcycle and auto industries.”

good luck with that.

re: “This could also be why BMW never let go of its bike sector”

could be, but isn’t.

the reason why “Bey Oom Vey” never let go of it’s bike sector is because it was another marketing and distribution platform for displaying what is actually their biggest asset… The Roundel.

the knock on benefit of this is it cultivates brand loyalty and drives sales (pun intended) to car side where profit margins are robust and money flows like the Wolf of Wall Street.

once the CPA’s analysed it, they realized Motorrad really wasn’t a bike line at all…? it was what Warren Buffet would call a “competitive advantage” over it’s rivals. ie. Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus.

13. Will Taylor says:

The more I look at it the more I like it. I would like to try it out looks very comfortable.

14. Gary B says:

NM4-The concept is there, the looks are wwwaaayyy off! Haven’t we seen that bike in an old 80′s Mad Max movie?
    The concept of a low center of gravity, bagged commuter potential bike is an excellent one. Beginners are jumping on bikes for the first time by the thousands lately. They’re craving easy to ride (low seat and center of gravity), high fuel economy, low maintenance bikes with storage options to ride to work Monday through Friday and then out for a Sunday ride on the weekend. This concept and design would also appeal to the vertically challenged and seniors that have a hard time “getting a leg over”. But the design definitely needs to be changed or no one is going to buy one.

15. Dennis says:

NM4…..either Honda is in la la land or they think we are

16. dave says:

That’s one of the ugliest motorcycles I have ever seen.
    No thank you.

17. Wendy says:

I would like to test ride that NM thing, if only to test Dan Gurney’s “Gator” thesis. This could be a breakthrough model, if motorcyclists can free themselves from hide bound “what does a motorcycle look like” mindset. Comfort, storage, weather protection and probably decent mileage and handling, what is not to like. Besides, maybe cagers will notice these bikes. Certainly feet forward hasn’t hurt billions of Harley riders.

You’ve never noticed how many Harley riders get out of their mounts holding their butts or back while wincing with pain and discomfort? Feet forward sucks for me. Granted this Honda takes it a step further – this is not so much feet-forward as it is body back. Maybe it’s comfortable. I don’t know. As far as the looks, I actually think the bagless version would look good with a higher seat sans back rest and proper peg location.

18. Gham says:

Hideous,I would rather ride a Suzuki Burgman with a milk crate than this.Now get off this nonsense and lets start talking direct inject two-strokes.

• dave says:

I’m with you Gham let’s talk two-strokes.

• MGNorge says:

Too easy to make cleaner four-strokes and in that realm it makes two-strokes about on par with diesels in bikes except in certain parts of the world.

• dave says:

Diesel and two stroke gas are both superior engines compared to gas 4-strokes.

I think that would depend on how you define “superior”.

• todd says:

Power density, longevity, and simplicity (cost).

• todd says:

Um, Dave said two stroke too. If you have never done a valve check on a two stroke you aren’t missing anything.

Who the heck is trying to adjust valves on a 2-stroke? What was your comment referring to, todd?

• todd says:

Think about it again Jeremy.

• jake says:

Or it could be that you just hate anything with 4 in it. A fan of the Fantastic Four, you were not.

• Gham says:

Of course it makes more sense to build or own the 4 stroke,thats why I want the 2 stroke.Just clean enough to be 50 state legal,mileage be damned and something like an old enduro with 350-400CC’s.WR gearbox, 80 something top speeds and not stupid tall.

re: “Diesels are far from simple or cheap, and they are relatively heavy. Current emission regs also take the cheap (and probably the feasibility) out of two-strokes. All three platforms have advantages and disadvantages. I certainly wouldn’t call either one superior over the other, only superior in certain areas.”

and there it is again. someone articulating the reoccurring theme of “no free lunch”.

19. Dave says:

Definitely not designed for a existing motorcycle crowd but rather getting new riders into motorcycling. Younger generations, women, etc. are targets of this bike.

20. goose says:

I hope it is a success but it will have to sell to people who’s minds are not ossified like most motorcyclists. I also hope it looks better in person to this semi-ossified brain equipped long time motorcyclist, it seems like a really practical bike.

I would also like to join the people whining about US motorcyclists being stuck with outdated 670 motor when the rest of the world gets the new 745 version. Gee, more power, less vibration, better sound and better milage, why would we want that? It seems Honda NA is dumping the old 670 motor here in the US. Maybe Honda Japan has a bunch of the 670s left over and NA Honda is getting them at garage sale prices? Maybe they are still paying off the homologation cost of the 670?

I also find it odd this supposedly futuristic bike has an exposed chain drive. Not very Star Trek. I know real bikers love chain drive, I have to wonder how non-bikers view what looks like a device designed to cut off fingers and toes sicking out of all that body work.

Goose

i think the NM4 might actually be a success, but solely in the Japanese market. they’re into some pretty weird sh!#t over there when you think about it.

but for the US market, same as the DN-01 that preceded it, i’m afraid it’s still the proverbial answer to a question nobody’s asked…? any time somebody can reasonably make that statement about your product, it’s the kiss of death.

• MGNorge says:

Even when it seems people like something it doesn’t always translate to the sale’s floor.

22. Provologna says:

Re. the NM4 model: OK, Hope and Change, I get it.

Random thoughts in no particular order…

Is it just me, or do male readers/riders notice a certain delicate part of the anatomy at risk of injury under severe braking?

I’m torn by this bike. Yes, on the one hand it’s styling is among the most polarizing of any known mass-market vehicle. OTOH, it looks like it might perform OK, and the storage capacity is welcome.

Thank goodness it’s black, because the sheer volume of body work with such unique angles prohibits any other color.

Honda says nothing about the little gill-like vent in vicinity of the motor. I wonder if it’s a simple pass-through for motor heat or if it might heat the rider in cooler climate.

Don’t point and laugh at me if you see me test-riding it!

23. jake says:

Ha, Ha, evidently if we went by the preferences of the MD crowd, the Earth would stop moving and all progress and change would come to a screeching halt. Whether the consumer base likes it or not, change is coming. The NM4 is mere child’s play compared to what Honda ultimately has in mind. Honda considers the consumer base’s opinions as worthless and irrelevant.

• Dirck Edge says:

The only constant is change … Heraclitus.

• jake says:

Ah, the old one never steps in the same river twice quote. But Heraclitus was a firm believer in the logos and as such he would have been highly aware of the clear distinction between the realm of “what is” vs. that of “what ought to be”. One of the reasons why thinking is so difficult, with it seeming always wanting to give us false positives and lead us in the wrong or at least not fully right direction, is because “what is” (final reality) by its very nature is always distinct and separate from “what ought to be”, what our brains at least initially tells us, what we naturally assume, is supposed to be true, although a somewhat tenuous link is always maintained between the two realms.

In other words, Heraclitus’s statement can be read in two ways. Factually, literally, and analytically, which gives us the relativistic interpretation of perpetual change, or from the perspective of the logos, or from a more reflective and intuitive point of view. Even from the first viewpoint, his statement carries with it some weight, wisdom, and profundity, but when the viewpoint from the latter is fully understood, then his statement really lights up with meaning, revealing the true nature of how his mind must have been working.

Never stepping in the same river twice now signifying that reality and life in its final, deepest, and most profound levels, never gets old and is always renewing itself. It’s like seeing someone you really love and care for. No matter how often you see her, her face, her beauty and innocent vulnerability never ever get old, and always seems refreshed, always seems new, with her needs and demands seeming like they are too much or a burden, in contrast with things which only attract us due to our own self-seeking gratification. Those things, things which belong in the realm of “what ought to be”, what the Greeks called the realm of becoming, what becomes but never is, eventually, like clockwork and a law of nature, fade away, decay, and get old with time, always becoming more of a burden than an attraction.

So Heraclitus with his statement was probably not affirming that change is constant, although he most likely believed that the mere appearance of change was constant, instead his famous quote was his way of saying in a sly and slightly veiled way that he had found eternal life, the life which never gets old and dies, or that he was close enough to it to be able to describe it with some fair degree of confidence and subtlety.

You know, good ole eternal life, the realm where the sun is always shining, day or night, realm of the sunshine in the rain, the realm where the world of idealism is brought down from high up in the clouds and nailed by the cross to the realm of matter, thereby being reconciled with it – or what is more commonly known as Heaven on Earth. You see, Christianity is merely the culmination in its most beautiful and insightful form, the final flowering, of the philosophy of the Ancient Mediterranean world. Heraclitus stands as an example and proof of that.

On a side note, did you guys really have to mod out my Heaven on Earth and Norm post? I thought it was a funny post and thought the MD crowd, including Norm, would have enjoyed it. Didn’t think it was offensive in the least, but I guess I was in the minority on that one. I guess I kind of have a thicker skin than most.

Re: “They figure whatever it is they want to develop and sell, they can do it with ease, with or without the support of the consumer base – at least initially – and esp. those of the gray hairs. ”

The above statement is a paradox. Without the consumer’s approval, the goods do not sell and the company fails. Honda is not failing. Consider that we may not know who the consumer base is, with our US-centric moto-sensibilities.

I’m not crazy about the NM4. I think it has too much body volume in the front, making it look heavy and bulky, which historically only works for the cruiser crowd. I commend them for attempting to tap new customers. Whatever gets more people riding is good in my opinion.

• jake says:

Well, of course to make a clear point, I over stepped my bounds, but not by too much. In the NM4 and the responses to it on MD, we are seeing the clash between the vision of the elites for the future and the preferences of the masses. And in such a clash, I know who my money is on to win in such a contest, Honda Motor Corp. of course. Who you gonna bet on? Honda Motor Corp., the biggest, baddest motorcycle manufacturer on the planet, or the temporary, easily manipulable opinions of the average Joe on the street?

What will be telling is if due to the overall bodywork which everyone here seems to hate, fuel economy figures are actually improved slightly, by maybe around 5 mpg or so. If so, then even if it is ugly, people will begin to like, to get the ugly. The stealth bomber must have seem hideous to all at first, but then when we all understood all the cool things it could do and how well it could function, then well, the ugly, hideous thing started to become appreciated, and even cool.

Bill Gates without billions – just an ugly, hideous thing.

Bill Gates with billions – an ugly, hideous thing people have come to love, worship, respect, and even idolize. Yes, we love the ugly and the hideousness, Bill.

• todd says:

I don’t know, the Hero RnT thing was a hit over here. That thing was the most innovative, progressive motorcycle in a sad, long time. This Honda thing is just a bad styling exercise. It’s a shame that manufacturers only see the US as a dumping ground for styling and save all the ground breaking, innovative stuff for the rest of the world.

24. EZ Mark says:

I feel like my eyes have been raped.

25. hoser says:

I get it! April fools.

26. thmisawa says:

No more boring motorcycles ………..

27. Rich says:

This is what happens when Darth Vader mates with a horseshoe crab!

28. ABQ says:

BMW had those cruisers with the flip up back rest. It was very comfortable. The only worry I have is how long all that plastic on the NM4 will last. Especially on my favorite local state road. Also called NM4.

29. Yoyodyne says:

PCX150 looks very spiffy, could see owning one of those someday.

The NM4 is another story…

30. Rich Schulte says:

April Fools for sure!

31. Don Fraser says:

Would buy that before a Burgman, although doubtful that will ever have either..

32. Bob L. says:

I have no words……

33. Azi says:

aaaakkkkiiiiiiiirrrraaaaaaa

34. John says:

We need to ban assault scooters….before someone gets hurt.

35. Chris Rush says:

Nm4.
    One of the ugliest bikes I have seen in almost 50 years riding.

Baggerchris

36. John says:

I don’t get the combination of hyper aggressive styling with the riding position of a lazy boy and the practicality of half a mini-van.

A woman is going to buy this? Doubtful. Anyone else? Doubtful.

• jake says:

Oh, I don’t know. From a certain perspective, it looks sort like an aerodynamic purse on 2 wheels, and with all its various compartments it sort of functions like one too. Put a Gucci tag on it and you know the chicks would be all over it.

37. dashui says:

Some reason looks like a samurai/darth vader helmet?

38. motowarrior says:

Hard to disagree with most of the comments here, but I still think I would buy it before I’d buy some of the big, ugly scooters that some people seem to be drooling over. The Honda is price competitive with them, probably handles much better, looks vaguely like a motorcycle and has power enough to do the ton. Yes, if a gun was held to my head, I’d buy it before a Burgman.

39. Gandalf says:

The Pacific Coast and RUNE are highly sought after collectors items now, pulling top dollars.

This one though is a little to futuristic for me, reminding me of something I saw in the first ‘Star Wars’ movie.

Sam:)

40. jake says:

Cause you are a guy. Women have different tastes. Bike riding women want to feel empowered by their ride and that means not having to slavish follow in the footsteps of male chauvinistic styling cues.

They want styling to reflect them as blazing their own trail of glory. Honda is simply accommodating this desire of theirs for a concrete expression of independence from the male centric world of the past and its styling cues.

41. bikerrandy says:

“All this and more add up to one of the ugliest bikes in the Honda line.”

First there was the Pacific Coast, then the Rune, now the NM4.

Actually the PC looks acceptable now. 8^ 0

42. ibking says:

I wanted the NM4 till I saw that Honda neutered it by cutting the displacement, Ill just hold on to my BMW c650

• jake says:

Me too. That and the limitations of my 2 bucks an hour, high physical labor job – and I’m an old man. But just wait for them to bring over the 750 version later. I’m betting the NM4 will sell well enough to for them justify another year or so. Not like the 80′s or even the 90′s. Number and percentage of women and geeks wanting to ride bikes has jumped off the chart and hit critical mass.

You see, everyone, I told you the dang bike would be cheaper than you thought.

43. Tim says:

I keep waiting for the “April Fools” follow up.

44. endoman38 says:

Alas, poor Honda, I knew ye well.

45. Mike says:

I wonder why the US gets the smaller engine on the NM4? Also, are they not offering the model previewed that comes without sidebags?

• jake says:

Cause they probably don’t want forward leaning concepts like the the NM4 to be too highly successful in the U.S., not just as of yet. Achieving cult status and subliminally prepping the U.S. consumer for more change to come is all Honda is seeking here in the land of the giant auto. Remember Honda sells cars here too.

46. David Smallridge says:

Could it be: the next generation ST is right around the proverbial announcement corner?

47. Frank says:

Yes, futuristic cross between jet fighter, scooter, and cruiser styling. If the ass end doesn’t need a ‘wide load’ sign hanging from it, it should be a very cool and versatile everyday ride.

re: “Thanks Honda for the courage to step out of all the usual boxes and bring us something new.”

(reality check)

meanwhile the business owner collective says piss on you Honda. sure, you create all this weird crap, that’s your prerogative, but it’s the dealer network that shoulders the burden of having to sell it. so, more important than stepping outside the box with something new…? is the need for bikes that pay the bills and keep the lights on.

• Daytona James says:

“where are the full size adventure bikes…? or is that another trend we’re waiting to “flatline” so they can be brought here after the fact…? ”

+1 – THAT is the only trend Honda seems to be setting these days.

48. Peter says:

If this was the only “motorcycle” I could ride, I’d stop riding – as a long time Honda rider, I am perplexed as to exactly what they are trying to achieve, especially where styling is concerned. I thought nothing could get uglier than the DN01…wrongo!!

49. takehikes says:

why don’t they show some pic’s of the NM4 without that damn passenger seat sticking up as a backrest?

50. powermad says:

‘Futuristic’ NM4? Is that journo code for ugly pile of s@@t?