Has an automobile driver ever tried to hit you… deliberately? (With link to video)

102015top-i

I have been riding on the street for a long time, and the unthinkable has happened to me more than once. An automobile driver has deliberately swerved into my lane, or even tried to deliberately hit me while riding a motorcycle. You can follow this link to a recent video depicting such an event in Texas (that is a screen shot from the video above). You can skip to roughly 1:30 in the video to see the event and the aftermath.

We are interested in your experiences. If you can relate a similar story, tell us how and where it happened. Were you able to confront the driver? Why do you think some drivers seem to hate motorcyclists? Do you think the frequency of these types of events is increasing or decreasing? Respond in the comments section below.

See more of MD’s great photography:

Instagram

1. Tee El says:

“It’s not in some universal way “wrong.””

Of course it is, what are you on? Idiot riders like you (and the one who got clipped in the video) give good riders a bad name.

That piece of crap in the car deserves to be drawn and quartered for what he did, but if the biker hadn’t put himself into the position that could happen… It never would’ve. Whether you’re on a bike or in a car, driving like a jackass should hurt. And in this case, it did.

2. BigJames says:

In a word, Yes.
    and more than once, been riding 45 years and don’t intend on stopping anytime soon.

3. pj says:

The cager is the minority nut ball, he is out numbered by the equally dangerous and far more prevalent distracted drivers who probably spend no less then a 3rd of their time on or across the yellow line. Clearly not the case here but you need to consider your impact on the car driver in a high speed over take it may save your life! You attempt to overtake two only one may have the benefit of seeing you in the rear view mirror your bike acclerates so fast at wot that the un initiated car driver will hear the shrill of your bike and be looking for where the hell its coming from and can trigger a lane change from a startled response.

BTW couldnt help noticing both bikers in the footage leading upto the incident and long before either of you encounter the cars you each spend considerable time on the crown and just at the double yellow. It was for a multitude of reasons a very poor decision to pass and a poorly executed one at that! Watch the video a learn!!!!

4. Bill Wolk says:

I take issue with the comments blaming the motorcyclist for what happened because he crossed the double yellow. Was it unlawful – sure, but does that give the car driver the right to take the law into his own hands and try to kill the motorcyclist? No! If the motorcyclist gets a ticket for doing it or runs headlong into an on-coming car, that is entirely his fault. But what the car driver did was inexcusable in every way, every time — not fault on the biker. And if he had connected, it would have been vehicular manslaughter or murder.

5. Jammer97 says:

I believe that some people have a feeling of anonymity when they get behind the wheel of a car.

6. jjay says:

I say if the motorcyclist had not tried to pass illegally on a double yellow line, there wouldn’t be an incident….that being said the motorcyclist started things in motion. But the moron in the car made a much worse decision that could have killed someone…..But I still say without the law breaking poor judgment pass by the motorcyclist….no discussion/wreck..

• Stuki Moi says:

Passing by crossing the double yellow without in any way endangering, or even inconveniencing, anyone else, may well be technically “illegal.” But that’s at best a debate between the rider, a cop and a judge and jury. It’s not in some universal way “wrong.” Attempting to kill people is. Kind of why God omitted the double yellow triviality when instructing Moses, but included the one about murder.

What the driver did, is no different from seeing a 20 year old starting his 21st celebration a minute early by having a sip of beer; then proceeding to shoot him. Would you excuse the shooter by saying “If the kid had only waited a minute, there would be no problem…”?

Of course, in our sorry ass dystopian age, fat chance the clowns that make up the “legal system” even have the ability to figure out anything so complimecated….

7. Frank says:

Over the 32 years and 250,000-ish miles I’ve ridden in 15 different states, I’ve had a couple cagers run me off the road, luckily without incident. Nothing so blatant as to try and HIT me, thankfully, but could have severely injured me nonetheless. I’ve had several others swerve at me in acts of aggression, simply because, as mentioned above, these self-absorbed “me first!” a$$holes think they own the road. I’ve tried to get around cagers who simply did everything they could to make it difficult to pass their slow stupid a$$e$, very dangerous in itself. Riding a sportbike, I’ve had a bunch of Hardley-Ableson douchebags swerve to the centerline at me when I went to pass their slow stupid a$$e$, which really puzzles me. Especially as many times as I’ve stopped to help them over the years when their POS has broken down. There are times when I pass on a double yellow here in the mountains in CO (and elsewhere), but I’m very safe and conservative when I do it, and never endanger anyone. I will NOT pass another rider or car in their lane unless they wave me by. Yes, the rider of the bike made a couple MINOR traffic infractions (passing on a DY, and license issues), but the car driver would have done that even if it WAS a passing zone. His own words in the longer video proves that. He thought this guy was someone he’d seen earlier and wanted revenge. This was a deliberate act, 2 felony counts, and NOTHING the rider did deserved this guy taking the law into his own hands and deliberately hitting them. He had no legal right or authority to act as he did. If you condone this in any form, or claim the rider “deserved it”, then you’d condone a guy swerving into the opposite lane to kill a jaywalker, and are completely f#cked in the head.

8. TheUsual says:

Why can’t the drivers just give you the finger? So much safer.

9. Bob Johnson says:

It has happened to me twice in the over 40 years I have been riding in Southern California. The first time was on the 605 Freeway when a refugee from Fast and Furious in a Toyota MR2 looked right at me and tried to punch me out of the fast lane and onto the shoulder of the freeway. I rode onto the shoulder and accelerated away, rode to the first emergency call box I could find and reported him and his license number to the Highway Patrol, probably to no avail as I never heard from them.

The second time was in the carpool lane of the 10 freeway in Los Angeles. I was riding a Suzuki 650 Burgman, splitting lanes (as I have done for all 40 years plus of my living in SoCal). When I went to pass a new Corvette the driver jerked the car violently to the right in an unmistakable attempt to push me into the traffic in the next lane. At freeway speeds a Burgman doesn’t accelerate like a motorcycle, I accelerated but the Corvette’s front wheel caught something on the scooter, kicking the rear end and making a very strange “lathe-like” sound (as a former road racer experience with “contact” probably doesn’t hurt in these situations…). I got around the Corvette and continued on to my destination in Westwood, where I discovered that the scooter could not be pushed backwards – the centerstand had been bent so badly that one of the legs had ground a groove in the rear tire. The centerstand lever had evidently caught on the inner diameter of the Corvette’s front wheel, no doubt inflicting considerable damage. In my experience most performance car drivers are very courteous to motorcyclists so I was surprised by the behavior of the Corvette driver. When I described the color scheme of the car to a friend he explained that it was a Hertz rental – evidently the driver had rented some macho along with the car, but along with the macho he no doubt got a nice bill for the damage to the wheel…

All-in-all, in my experience I would say that it’s very unusual to have anyone deliberately try to hit a motorcycle. The danger in an urban environment is virtually always from the inattentive, the just plain stupid, or in the modern world the cell phone and text message set.

BTW, I’m also a cyclist and if you think motorcycles are “dangerous,” you haven’t lived until you’ve spent some time on a road bike in California.

Thanks

10. SHINER B. says:

Cars-4500+ lbs.
    Motorcycle-500 lbs.
    Do the math and decide if it is really worth it no mater if you are right or wrong.

wtf…??? they had a pillion…!!!

12. Rudedog4 says:

Nietzsche said something like beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong.

13. Ed says:

My advice to immature riders is this – just because you get away with it once or twice or have a friend that does it all the time, doesn’t mean it’s OK – that goes for double yellow passes, high speed traffic filtering, hooliganism, etc. Have some patience and wait, your older self will thank you because eventually the odds are going to get you. We’re here because we love to ride, we love speed, and there are many inherent risks, but illegal maneuvers are like putting out a call to the sociopaths out there. 1 of 20 is a sociopath, and we share the roads with them. Sociopaths are egomaniacs, and if they can get away with it will do whatever they want without guilt. They are the internet trolls, the serial killers, the wife/husband/child beaters, and the people who will get irate and decide to chase you down on your motorcycle if they feel you’ve disrespected them. And they will run you down if they believe they can get away with it. Get right with yourselves, people – take it easy, enjoy the ride, find an abandoned road if you want to drive 100mph on the back wheel. Generally, if someone is slowing down or blocking the road, they trying to control you or other traffic – that’s warning enough to know who you’re dealing with. Stay clear. Turn off onto another road. If someone is tailgating you, move over, and slow down. Turn off onto another road, pull over at a gas station, whatever. Stay alive, your older self will thank you.

• AAA says:

Simply pull over behind a ditch, gas pump or culvert – where you and your bike can NOT be struck by the car or truck. Get off the bike – do NOT remove your helmet, bike jacket and bike gloves. If the aggressor stops – tell him you are going to beat the hell out of him if he does not leave. If he then draws a weapon – draw your handgun and kill him. If he approaches for a fight without a weapon – beat the hell out of him – use your handgun as a club to beat him across the face and head if necessary. Get on your bike and leave. Say nothing and get a new helmet, jacket and pair of gloves (different colors) have bike gas tank painted. What bike?

14. Joe Bogusheimer says:

I haven’t seen this link in this discussion – apparently this guy has a history of road rage and/or violence towards those he perceives as wronging him in some way:

Interesting. He was supposedly under supervision for 24 months after threatening the kids and no mention of his having to pay for the damages to the dad’s truck. Clearly this nutter had no business living among the public.

• Bart says:

Joe,
      Good (and scary) find. Reminds me of a search I did on a name involving a real estate deal, that saved me a lot of grief!

Makes me think seriously of going GoPro helmet cam, like the Russians do and so many bicycle riders around here now.

I think that just having the thing on my helmet running or not can make (some) passive/agressive drivers behave a bit better, give me a little more cushion. Not the sociopath in this incident, they go blind with rage.

This is an opportunity for an app that reads plates, mines the Cloud for the convicted sociopaths in rider’s proximity, no different from what the police are doing now with their dashcams and on board computers scanning/searching plates. Obviously the info is out there, knowing in a timely manner could help riders make better decisions.

• Joe Bogusheimer says:

I can’t take credit for finding it, but I thought I’d share. I was already highly dubious of this guys “I swerved because I got bitten by a bug” story (right, coincidentally just at the exact moment that he was being passed by this motorcycle?), but this completely cinched my belief. I hope they’ll be able to introduce this prior in court to establish a pattern of behaviour, as it’s clearly relevant.

Well, that is some pretty damning information to his case. Hopefully, they’ll really throw the book at him this time.

15. TF says:

Bad behavior on the part of others does not give you the right to assume the role of judge, jury, and executioner. Hopefully that hayseed will spend some time behind bars. Regardless, I am sure the bikers already have a long line of youtube-watching lawyers waiting outside their door……the hayseed will find the inevitable civil suit to be very costly.

I am a bit surprised by some of the comments though. I have to ask, when is it ever acceptable to pass on a DY line? In my opinion, patience is a virtue and the world is not a race track.

16. dman says:

I may be an exception, but in 40+ years of riding in a very crowded part of California, with tens of thousands of miles commuting (and lane splitting) on clogged freeways, plus the occasional 🙂 pass over double-yellow on a twisty backroad, I honestly can’t remember a case where someone seemed to intentionally try to take me out or even threaten me. Incompetent, oblivious, impeding my progress, even hostile … yes. But an intentional attack? Never.

17. Catfish says:

Commuting on California backroads can involve a lot of passing in double-yellow zones. A quick moto can do this easily & safely, a slow corolla can’t. Many drivers don’t want anyone passing them in a double yellow. They consider it too dangerous for anyone to be doing it near them. A few will honk, fewer will try to block the pass by straddling center line; not actually trying to hit you. Cars, pickups, and semis have all done it over the years, but it is rare. On my motos & in my truck.

In the video, the car driver may simply have been trying to block the pass, but misjudged the moto’s rapid closing speed, swerved too late & accidentally hit the moto. I also consider the moto rider to be too close to the car he was passing. Had he been 1-2 feet further left, he would not have been hit.

Fearful or hurt ego with poor-driving skills instead of malice. Its always dangerous riding faster than traffic. I’m glad his injuries appear minor.

Catfish …

• Fitbar says:

On the positive side some drivers actually move a little to provide space. In some countries this is actually the norm and these are the countries that typically are more used to passing cars and more intense traffic (smaller roads, higher traffic speeds).

18. 14kmtnman says:

Yes I have. One time in a northern Seattle suburb, a 20 something girl (driver) & her boyfriend tried pushing me off the road. Too bad the girl had a personalized plate that made her easy to find by the police. To their credit (police) took the instance to be as serious as it was. I got 2 or 3 calls from them telling me about their progress & that they finally found the person. I ride everyday & it does get interesting at times out there. Like others said, show the drivers some respect & you get respect back.

19. Jim says:

At least once a year somebody pulls a stunt like this on me or one of my riding group. The roads we ride in southeast Ohio are pretty much all double yellow all the time. I’ve even had a guy in a Chevy Trailblazer try to chase me down to the point that he was using both lanes in most corners, oncoming traffic be damned. If you are going to pass on the double yellow do not target fixate on the vehicle that swerves in front of you. There was still a lot of available open lane to the crashed rider in Texas. Most drivers don’t seem to be bothered by being passed but some do get emotional.

20. HS1-RD-CX100-VFR says:

We have law enforcement and courts to decide guilt and punishment. Attempting to kill a person and their passenger over a traffic infraction, and even more for a very instantaneous and non-aggressive one, is a million miles from being justified.

21. mickey says:

Sean says: ” Even if the pass was mistimed and a car was approaching from the other direction both cars and the bike could all fit across the 2 lanes very easily.”

That scenario frightens the heck out of me. With an approach speed of at least 100-120 mph (three vehicles, two of them side by side, traveling 50-60 mph head on) I don’t like the chances of that going well. But that’s just me.

• Sean says:

It’s not the ideal situation but the point is that even in a worse case scenario there’s space to avoid an accident.

22. mickey says:

Jmess..what strange comments?

I’ve read every post and I don’t see ANY posts that said the car driver was justified in doing what he did. I certainly didn’t say that and never implied it and I don’t think anyone else has either.

We all make choices and suffer consequences of those choices.. in this instance the biker, and the car driver both made bad choices and both are suffering consequences. The car driver was absolutely wrong, but the motorcyclist is not without some guilt in this incidence. If he was, he would not have gotten a ticket for an illegal pass. He absolutely did not deserve to be run off the road. Had he obeyed the law and stayed behind the driver we wouldn’t even be discussing this would we?

I find it as disturbing that people on a motorcycle forum condone and admit to breaking the law all the time just because they feel like they should have the right to do so because they ride a motorcycle, and it accelerates fast.

I want you to look at the picture at the top of the page closely. The two cars ahead of the offending car are both higher in line of sight than the offending car, and they aren’t very far ahead. They are going up a hill. Probably why there is a double yellow line in that spot. Someone could be coming over the hill at 60 mph (or more if they are on a motorcycle illegally passing someone coming the other direction) in the lane the two bikers are passing in. Enough room? Maybe, but the department of transportation obviously thinks it could be a dangerous situation. Hence the double yellow. I mean why take the chance? Isn’t it dangerous enough out there without taking unnecessary chances?

• Brian says:

I don’t think it’s that you (or others) implied that the driver’s action was justified. What it is, I think, is that when discussing a situation where the reaction is so grossly out of proportion to the action, saying (essentially) “It wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t violated a traffic law” is easily taken to mean that you somehow view both parties as equally at fault. Just by bringing it up, you seem to equate things that shouldn’t be equated.

As far as motorcyclists violating traffic law…there are lots of places in this country where it’s considerably more dangerous to drive the speed limit than it is to exceed it by 20 mph. And there are places where if you don’t take advantage of common sense, situational awareness, and your bike’s accelerative potential to execute a quick, safe pass on double-yellow, you’ll be stuck behind somebody doing 30 in a 45 for the next 20 miles. In other words, it’s all about context.

• mickey says:

Brian, I’m sorry but I never said nor implied that the two infractions were EQUAL. I’d place blame at 90% car driver and 10% motorcycle rider.

and the irrefutable fact of this situation is, if the motorcyclists had not attempted an illegal pass, this accident would not have happened (even if it was the crazy car drivers fault). If the motorcyclist had stayed in place as he was supposed to it wouldn’t have happened. Period.

I feel sorry for the guy and gal on the bike. They DID NOT DESERVE what happened to them, But legally, in the eyes of the law, they share part of the blame. Ask any LEO,lawyer or judge. Been through this when my wife was in hit by a pick-up driver while walking along the road. Because she was walking with traffic rather than against traffic she was assigned partial blame.

• Fitbar says:

Sorry mickey. I apologize if I implied something you didn’t mean.  I just don’t see how any guilt can lie with victim in this one.  Based on the video one could claim he is making some poor decisions etc. But I don’t see any guilt on the side of the victim for the actual actions of the driver. Plus I am a little at odds with your chosen over motorcyclists that are honest about breaking traffic codes. I don’t mind it as long as it is controlled

I may be splitting hairs and you are probably more legally correct. I just have a taken take on it.

• mickey says:

Thanks Fitbar, I understand. Let me come at this another way.

You (Fitbar) have been patiently waiting in a long line waiting to buy Christmas presents for your family. Some guy comes up and steps in front of you because he is in a hurry. You tell him to get to the back of the line and wait like everyone else. He tells you to F off. You become aggravated and punch him in the mouth. He instigated the incident but you were the aggressor and both deserve some of the blame for the incident.

Now lets go to the bike/car incident. Some guy is patiently driving along in traffic, when another tries to illegally get in front of him. This aggravates the driver and he swerves and hits the motorcyclist (I mean something set him off right? and as he got out of his car saying “he shouldn’t have tried passing in a no passing zone” this was obviously the impetus for his actions). The car driver was the aggressor, however the motorcyclist set the incident into motion when he tried to illegally pass, so both deserve some blame.

See where I am coming from now?

If the motorcyclist had attempted a pass in a LEGAL passing zone and the car driver swerved and hit him, then it would be 100% the car drivers fault, because the motorcyclist was doing nothing wrong in that attempt to pass that should have aggravated the car driver.

• TimC says:

Oh give me a break.

• TimC says:

Note, it’s a bit ambiguous…comment reply placement was intentional, “give me a break” was aimed at Mickey’s rambling explanation, not Brian’s rebuttal (which I obviously concur with given my reply farther below).

• Fitbar says:

That’s how I understood it. I think mickey’s comment is a little harsh as I can not see any justification for the drivers actions. I don’t even think the guy thinks of the motorcyclist as human, maybe he thinks they are giant bugs 🙂

• mickey says:

Fitbar says:

October 22, 2015 at 2:59 pm

WHAT? Please go back and read the first line in my rambling comment again,and try and comprehend what it says… and in case anyone is confused about where I stand: there is absolutely NO justification for what the car driver did, NONE, it was wrong, wrong, horribly wrong. He should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. The guy is criminally insane.

Is that clear enough for you?

23. Santanu says:

I ride sport-touring motorcycles. I always ride with proper gear, respect for the rest of the traffic, and I never split lanes (I do have my temptations). I generally find the traffic to be respectful to me. I sense that most people on the road are careful about not causing trouble to me. Of course, there are those who are oblivious, inattentive, and distracted. I make every effort to be vigilant, cautious, and defensive to avert unfortunate scenarios.

My simple philosophy of life is ‘what goes around, comes around’. I teach for living and I believe that the other side never lets you down if they know you care. I am not claiming to be a saint; I have done my share of wrong deeds on roads as well as other facets of life.

24. Sean says:

Using the driver’s logic if anyone is driving 1mph over the speed limit you could pull up next to them and shoot them in the head and say “speeding” “speeding” so stupid. Anyone who rides knows that its much easier to pass a car on these two lane roads on a motorcycle than in a car. On a bike you only need a couple feet to the left of the car to get around with the acceleration capabilities of a motorcycle it takes very little time and space to get around a car. Even if the pass was mistimed and a car was approaching from the other direction both cars and the bike could all fit across the 2 lanes very easily. The guy in this car has mental issues, he’s lucky I wasn’t the guy filming cuz he’d be in bad shape.

25. Johne says:

Fortunately those two will be ok. In over 40 years of heavy riding I’m certain I’ve still not seen a fraction of can go wrong. I’ve been down plenty (dirt and road), hit twice and also multiple times evaded being hit by cagers with burrs up their backsides.

Last week, while riding through Lockport, NY, a well dressed and otherwise kindly looking gentleman, had tried a couple times to directly run me off the road. As fate had it my reactions were right on that day and I was able to avoid contact. As the guy was going in the same direction I was I decided to follow him. Having been behind him for about 20 more miles I hadn’t noticed any of the tell-tale signs of impairment and ultimately assumed the guy was just a loose screw. I followed him into a little burg just short of my destination and realized that he was in fear when I saw he was heading toward the local police station… With whom I was more than pleased to speak with about the matter. Once in the station lot the guy got out of his car screaming that I was trying to kill him.

Not ever having learned the particulars, a long story short found an officer taking him away in cuffs and assuring me that the man would dealt with by the law. End of story.

Weird, but it just goes to show (as does the video), that there are screwballs everywhere and that we need to remain diligent in even the most seemingly peaceful riding circumstances.

Be safe my friends and quick healing to you folks in Texas!

26. Fitbar says:

There seems to be alot of intolerance for crossing a double line, which seems surprising on a motorcycle forum. We have all seen some motorcyclists make riding look dangerous while riding within traffic codes? I can’t comment about on this rider, but it looked like he could have given himself more margin for safety, but the driver seems a stereotypical product of his culture and probably not very smart. Although post collision no one looks super smart. Attitude to motorcyclists seem to vary throughout States in the US and from urban to rural areas as you would expect: I definitely think the older population (massive controversial generalisation) struggles more to tolerate motorcyclists (ok maybe alot of things) and other traffic/pedestrians in general. When I started riding I didn’t second take or look back at cars that drove poorly and forced me to make a dramatic avoidance move, just focused on what’s ahead. Now, I have a need to judge them and make sure they know they upset me: obviously getting old myself, but it isn’t helpful.

If you are not a frequent pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, and driver it is harder to have appreciation and understand (and be safe around) the other on the road.

I have had more issues, some deliberate, with drivers while cycling than motorcycling, and in general feel more exposed when they misbehave.

I’ll do it from time to time to get around particularly slow or erratic vehicles, but I generally won’t pass on a double line just out of respect for other drivers. I know my bike is more than powerful enough to complete a pass safely in a very short linear distance, but that scares the heck out of drivers who aren’t familiar with a motorcycle’s capabilities. And others it just pisses off regardless.

While the rider in the video could have no doubt made some better decisions, the only thing that caused the accident is the guy that swerved into the motorcycle. Despite the double yellow, there was ample line-of-sight to execute that pass safely on a motorcycle.

Bicyclists by far get the least amount of respect around here from auto drivers. Countless times I’ve seen cars and trucks barely move over while passing them. Bicyclist are also the greatest asshats by far. Generally speaking, they have very little sense for self preservation and seem more interested in demanding their right-of-way rather than riding safely and courteously.

How we behave as a group has a lot to do with how we are treated as a group.

• Fitbar says:

Another interesting thing is that the driver felt no concern for the injured people or remorse, only a childish sort of innocent obsession with being right. This would be in line with his inability to control his emotions and his willingness to injure another person with his car. Is that a Texan thing?

I know cultures and norms vary widely but that seems odd to me.

Not sure I want to kowtow to the lowest common denominator to make sure the motorcyclist community is treated fairly. I am not a hooligan on a bike (don’t have the skills), but I will pass on the double to get by a car before a set of twisty curves to enjoy them at them my speed. On the roads in this video I don’t think I would bother, looks like really boring roads.

“Is that a Texan thing?”

While not the norm, I find that reaction is not uncommon when someone has done something wrong. I don’t know the psychology behind it, people essentially trying to convince themselves that they were in the right so they don’t have to deal with the guilt of something heavy, maybe?. Typically, that kind of reaction only happens immediately after an incident from what I have experienced, and in most cases the offender is deeply concerned. It is not a Texan thing, but my subjective opinion is that you are more likely to get that kind of reaction from someone who has some heightened sense of pride and entitlement, which I think is more common in Texas than anywhere else I’ve lived.

27. George says:

Happens ALL THE TIME. Usually at least one or more times per week someone specifically tries to squeeze me out during lane splitting.

Typical situation is: traffic is stopped in the #2 lane (second from left) and traffic is inching along at 5-10 mph in the #1 lane (far left lane, usually a carpool lane).

The space between the lanes is 8-10 feet wide, plenty of space to lanesplit.

I am passing a large vehicle in #1 lane, usually a bus or a cube truck, and a car in the #2 lane will begin pulling left to pinch off the space between the lanes.

I know they are doing it purposely because the large truck to their left blocks any possibility they can be trying to change lanes to the left and since they are the only vehicle in the #2 lane doing it, I know it is not because there is some obstruction in the #2 lane that they are trying to go around.

When I pull up behind them, I can see them looking in their mirrors laughing or sneering about how they cut-off the motorcycle.

Really?

Envious much?

Grow the F’ up! What a nitwit!

Lane splitting helps traffic flow even the nitwit cutting me off, but this nitwit thinks it is funny to cut someone off in traffic that is doing something safely and legally!

Lane splitting is also safer for motorcycle riders than being stuck in traffic.

I have had other isolated events of being purposely cutoff and even chased a couple of times over the years. It is not difficult to get away from them.

• falcodoug says:

George, I ride to work in Southern California too, and have met with many people who do not know that lane sharing is allowed here.

• silentmajority69 says:

I lived and rode there for 14 years and lane split every opportunity I got. Some clown even set up his washer nozzle to aim at the driver-side lane to wet you as you passed. Nothing a large ball-bearing wouldn’t solve when you see the car again… not that I ever did that…

Also, if someone tries to hit you with their car it’s consider assault with a deadly weapon, or a class 1 felony. I’m sure the stupids who try it don’t factor that into their day…

• Ayk says:

Never been attacked while at speed, but have had to deal with plenty of the ‘squeezers’ while lane splitting. I take a breath, calm down, then zip by when they’ve had their fun. There’s always a spot, and it’s not worth a crash trying to prove a point. It’s absolutely against the law for vehicles to squeeze out bikes that are splitting lanes, but pretty hard to enforce. Maybe the CHP should hop on some normal looking machines and see how traffic treats them.

• TimC says:

Normal machines – that would be awesome. When I lived in CA it was Bay Area and I wasn’t having to deal with the Bay Bridge (which I understand people get a lot shittier on). I seldom had LS blocking issues that were intentional (usually people trying to get that one spot ahead type thing, which is why I wouldn’t split with traffic moving quickly enough to allow that, e.g. 15-20mph).

It happened often enough that I’d looove to see the people get a big ass ticket (as in attempted assault which it really is) though.

28. JMess says:

Anyone implying that a motorcyclist DESERVES this sort of aggression from a vehicle really needs to give their head a shake. Everyone I know has a one time or another ridden a motorcycle fast; especially when young—does that mean, some psychopath should swerve at them?? Some strange comments.
    Roll back to 1992; I was on a CBR900RR AKA: fireblade I was riding on the No1 HWY near Golden B.C. which at the time was a treacherous winding mountainside road; I go to pass a guy because he is going really slow and he swerves into my lane (the cliff side) as I am almost beside him. At first I thought it was just a case of him not paying attention. I go to do it again and he swerves again!!! I knew at this point he was a nut-job. Finally I gear down and blow by him so quickly he could not even react in time, but in my rear-view I saw that he did swerve again. I was young and didn’t bother reporting it; I felt nothing would be done about it (it was only me and him on that stretch/no witnesses).
    So, yeah, crazy things happen out there and I have other stories too, but that was the worst. Those that act like it can’t happen to them, I will tell you IT CAN…..unlikely, but it can. Ride aware!

29. Olddad says:

Yes, in VA I had followed a tractor trailer for several miles on a county two lane road going over mountains. When I finally got to a passing zone, I passed him and I think I less than a foot of space in between my luggage and his front fender when I completed the pass. By the way, I was on the white line in the other lane.