Sepang MotoGP Results – Updated with Quotes from Rossi and Marquez (and link to video)

102515top-i

Dani Pedrosa (Honda) dominated the Sepang MotoGP race earlier today. From pole position, Pedrosa rode to a convincing win over second-place Jorge Lorenzo(Yamaha). The real drama, however, occurred behind the two riders.

Fighting over 3rd place, Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez came together with Marquez crashing out. Many race observers believe Rossi deliberately pushed Marquez wide, and then lifted his foot from his peg nearest Marquez and pushed Marquez causing him to crash. You can see a video of the incident here: http://www.snappytv.com/tc/943691/327278.

Race Direction investigated the situation, including review of all available video of the incident and interviews of the riders involved, and concluded that Rossi was at fault. Rossi was therefor given 3 penalty points, which will result in Rossi starting from the back of the grid at Valencia, the final race of the year.

The Sepang race results stand, however, so Rossi will keep his points for third place. This means Rossi enters the final race with a seven-point advantage over his Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo. This article will be updated with more details later today.

Here are post-race quotes from both Rossi and Marquez:

Valentino Rossi
3rd / +13.724 / 20 laps

“Marquez knows it wasn’t red mist that caused the incident. It’s very clear from the helicopter footage that I didn’t want to make him crash, I just wanted to make him lose time, go outside of the line and slow down, because he was playing his dirty game, even worse than in Australia. When I went wide and slowed down to nearly a stop, I looked at him as if to say ‘what are you doing?’. After that we touched. He touched with his right underarm on my leg and my foot slipped off the foot peg. If you look at the image from the helicopter it’s clear that when my foot slipped of the foot peg, Marquez had already crashed. I didn’t want to kick him, especially because, if you give a kick to a MotoGP bike, it won’t crash, it’s very heavy. For me the sanction is not fair, because Marquez won his fight. His program is OK because he is making me lose the championship. The sanction is not good, especially for me, because I didn’t purposefully want to make him crash, I just reacted to his behaviour, but I didn’t kick him. You can’t say anything in the press conference, maybe it changes something, but to me this was not fair, because I just want to fight for the championship with Jorge and let the better man win, but like this that’s not happening. Like I said, I didn’t want to make Marquez crash, but I had to do something because at that moment Jorge was already gone. The championship is not over yet, but this sanction cut me off by the legs and made Marquez win.”

Marc Marquez
DNF

“We were having a good race up until the incident. At the beginning I made a mistake, but then I regained confidence. Valentino overtook me, I followed him for half a lap, and I saw that I could go faster than him, so I tried to overtake him back. We started a fight between us and I always passed without making any contact with him. At Turn 14 he passed me on the inside, I sat the bike up, he kept going straight ahead and I saw him looking at me. I didn’t know what to do. Then he kicked out at me, knocking my brake lever, and I crashed. I will leave the sanction in the hands of Race Direction. All I know is that I scored zero points and ended up in the gravel, but thankfully I’m fine. Both what Valentino said to Race Direction and what he did on the track has made me disappointed. I’ve never seen anything like it: a rider kicking another rider. It might be down to nerves, but I want to try to forget about all this and the important thing is that I’m fine physically. I hope, for the sake of the sport that this ends here.”

See more of MD’s great photography:

Instagram

1. rob says:

Finally M Rossi got punished by the court in Lausanne. Now everybody should understand that he was totally wrong. Also after Rossi will stop there will be other drivers. Don’t worry we do not need persons like Rossi in the Moto GP. It wasn’t the first person he brought in big danger.

2. gng says:

Just imagine MotoGP without Rossi ….. its like MotoGP without the ‘Moto’ or the ‘GP’ !!!!!

• Thud says:

what are the chances he comes back after “losing” this championship….
      Me thinks Dorna is going to have to do something about the paint swapping aspect of this sport…i wouldn’t be surprised if they install proximity sensors in the bikes which limit the throttle…meh

• TexinOhio says:

The series will suffer without Rossi. He is the universally liked and cheered for rider in the series. The other guys have their fans too, except most are in their own home countries or small pockets in other places.

Interest in the series was down when Rossi was out with a broken leg in 2010 and also during his stint with Ducati since he wasn’t running up front.

I know I’ll cancel my MotoGP pass when he retires as I don’t care about any of the other riders in the series (unless another American or more important to me a Texan comes along). I’ll treat MotoGP like I do pro tennis now. When I was growing up Andre Agassi was my guy but once he retired I didn’t pay as much attention to it. Rossi was just up and coming when I started to pay attention to motorcycle racing (he’s 2 years younger than I am) to the point that my first helmet I bought for my first new in 1997 EX500 Ninja was his first AGV helmet.

Dorna needs to understand that you don’t shoot your golden goose (or in Rossi’s case chicken) if they’re still producing for you.

• notarollingroadblock says:

Dorna didn’t shoot Rossi, but race control did let him off easy. Rossi let MM get to him. That is all.

3. Neil says:

Rossi should have had his eyes and his bike to the inside of the turn as usual. In a prize fight, you can’t let the other guy, MM, into your head. That’s the bottom line. You can’t just slow down til your engine almost stalls when you know someone is on the outside of the turn, AND look back! Look into the turn. End of argument.

4. mickey says:

Look at this video. Freeze it at 16, then advance frame by frame up to frame 19. I think you can clearly see that Rossi was in charge of this situation. He guides Marquez further and further to the edge of the track to where Marquez tries to turn in before running out of track. Rossi has the angle on Marquez and does not relinquish that angle until after Marquez goes down, then you can see how hard Rossi has to lay it over to the right to remain on the track himself. Rossi was the aggressor in this and was by video evidence trying to run Marquez off the track. With the angle that Rossi was on, and with the track turning back sharply to the right, Marquez simply had no room to pass Rossi on the outside.

Again you don’t have to believe this, but this is what Rossi said, this is what Jarvis said, this is what RD said, this is what the FIMs said. Not a single fellow racer has come to Rossi’s defense. Not 1 (that I have read).

I will also say that I believe Marquez should have received some discipline in this matter for messing with Rossi, but apparently what MM did to slow Rossi down was not against MGP rules, and what Rossi did, by forcibly steering MM off line was, hence the penalty.

I’m tired of discussing it and this is my last post on this subject. I will read everybody’s response to this post, but I will type no further.

• Scott says:

Has anyone noticed that the runoff in that turn is a large expanse of ASPHALT? If MM was really “out of room”, why didn’t he just go around? At the speed they were going, it would have been a faster line! Rossi would have been signaled to give the position back to MM, and they would have been on their merry way.

But no, MM had NO CHOICE but to crash into Rossi! Please. You want to throw the word “delusional” around?! There you go.

You’ve all seen Marquez pull off some of the most amazing moves, yet he couldn’t manage to bail himself out of this one at 30 mph? Really?

• jacksonk says:

I’m with you Mickey. Done. We just have to agree to disagree with the Rossi can-do-no-wrongers. Funny thing is people have been screaming for close racing in MotoGP for years and now are ready to boycott the series when things get a little hot. I personally can’t wait for Valencia and next season. Is this really the first controversial penalty (or lack of penalty) in MotoGP????? Don’t think so. It did however go against the most popular rider ever – so maybe we should just ignore anything that occurs on the track and automatically rule in favor of Rossi until he retires. Then we can pick the next world’s most popular rider and do the same with him. Am I am MM fan??? No. I think he’s way past due for several penalties. I hate the bombing runs that he performs at will even against his own teammate. And my rider has come up on the short end of his passes several times. But you know what? That’s the way the cookie crumbles and I’ll be damned if it will dissuade me from watching it anymore. The funniest part of this whole controversy is that I have seen harder passes on every lap of every Moto3 race this season. Hell, all the Moto3 riders are probably giggling like little girls at the sight of MotoGP coming unhinged about this.

• Scott says:

Please point to one person here who said Rossi can do no wrong. I think every single poster who is taking Rossi’s “side” on this incident has expressed their extreme disappointment in Rossi for getting suckered into MM’s game and playing back. All we’re saying is that Marquez has some culpability in this – as you admitted yourself, he often does – and that he should have been penalized in some way.

Please, let’s try to refrain from taking every point to its ridiculous extreme, as if there’s no middle ground possible.

If it were up to me as race director, I would have taken them into the room after the race and told them in no uncertain terms that any more of this will result in a black flag and a DQ. Call it double-secret probation if you will.

Our issue is that Rossi was blamed for MM’s crash, when it is our contention the Marquez took himself out. If you see it differently, that’s fine. But nobody’s calling you a Marquez apologist fan boy because you have a different opinion…

• jacksonk says:

So Scott let me see if I understand your position (no sarcasm intended). If Marquez would have been penalized also (say 2 or three points) then you would be OK with the penalty given Vale???

• Scott says:

Well, let’s see…

Rossi got a point earlier in the year for supposedly going slow on the racing line and holding up Lorenzo (who got on the pole anyway).

Marquez, to my recollection, received no points at all for running into Rossi at Argentina, or running him off the track at Assen.

So using those precedents, I would say assess each of them a point for blocking, since that’s what they both did and that’s the apparent penalty for it.

As for the collision, well, plenty of collisions have occurred during the season that were judged “racing incidents”, so leave it at that.

Of course, I’m using the logic that Marquez had options besides crashing, which some of you guys refute. But since you asked, that’s my answer.

• jacksonk says:

Shame on me for taking the bait (SMF). So you would have Marquez get a point for blocking (for which there is no objective proof) and Vale get a meaningless point for “blocking” (when in fact he slowed, left the racing line & tried to run a rider off the track of which there is plenty of objective proof)???? This scenario basically has no negative consequences for Vale which is similar to saying he did nothing wrong (except make you ashmaed of him). I revert back to my previous comments about Rossi can do no wrong. Peace, out.

• Thud says:

Rossi can do no wrong, he is the one, and we shall call him NEO

• Hot Dog says:

Run Mickey, save yourself! Conspiracy theorists abound with self rightness impunity. Even though you see it, you better not say it. I’m with you.

• Brian says:

The more I look at it, the more I come back to this: If you’re following another bike, by definition you’re more able to see what they’re doing and steer clear. That’s why, when a car is rear-ended, the person following is generally considered to be at fault, even if the person ahead braked unexpectedly. Racing is different, of course…but at that point, I think it’s pretty clear the event had ceased to be a “race” for these two.

I think they both lost their cool; I think the whole situation is unfortunate; and I think that, sadly, there will always be an asterisk next to the name of this year’s championship winner, if not in fact, then in the eyes of the fans. But I find it hard to hold VR responsible for MM’s crash. It simply would not have been that difficult to avoid the collision…and it was blatently obvious, by that point, that MM was more interested in dueling with VR than in circulating the track at the fastest possible speed.

All that said, I’m really looking forward to Valencia.

5. David says:

I don’t know if anyone as already posted this from an italian newspaper.
    JL appears to invite the crowd to boo VR by giving a “thumb down” when the speaker calls Valentino to receive the trophy. From his teammate, this is pretty bad and make JL look just as bad as MM.

6. Scott says:

In other news:

Starting in 2016, DORNA to Allow Unlimited Factory Entries in MotoGP Class

Repsol Honda will field Marquez, Pedrosa, Lorenzo, P. Espargaro, A. Espargaro, Vinales, Barbera, Bautista, Rabat, and Rins in unprecedented 10-bike squad…

7. TF says:

More fuel for the fire:
    1. President of Spain condemns Rossi’s actions and supports Marquez.
    2. Repsol threatens to pull their support for MotoGP due to Rossi’s penalties not being severe enough and claiming Rossi kicked MM off his bike despite all evidence.
    3. Yamaha hints that Lorenzo may not have a job in 2016 because of his words/actions at and following Malaysia.

Who the F do the Rossi Fans in these videos think they are?! For cripes sakes – they walk into the Repsol garage area like they have a reason to be there to confront Marquez – WTF?!

Wow………..delusional.

• notarollingroadblock says:

1 who cares
      2 If they really mean it, they were already looking for way out of MotoGp
      3 BS

• Hot Dog says:

1. Yep
        2. Yep
        3. Yep – and if they did, JLO would be on a Honda.

Yeh, I can’t imagine Yamaha punting Lorenzo. The guy is a proven winner.

• TF says:

I agree but how do you manage the situation? I can’t see Rossi going anywhere until he wants to. He sells more Yamahas than anyone else could. Maybe Yamaha trades JL for DP or maybe AI ends up on the other Yamaha?

Perhaps Yamaha has plans for their new “racing robot” they are showing off sooner rather than later?

I have no doubt Yamaha is displeased with JLo’s reaction, but I suspect his possible departure is nothing more than rumor. There are several great riders out there that I think would do well of the Yamaha, but it is going to take some pretty strong feelings to ditch a proven formula for an untested one. I think there would also be some trepidation that Repsol Honda might pick him up. It would suck to have your former champion beating up on next season.

If Yamaha does let him go, it would be because they feel his personality erodes their brand more than his winning lifts it. There may be some weight to that: some people are upset with Marquez and some with Rossi, but everyone is upset with Lorenzo.

8. VLJ says:

We see this same scenario play out quite often in other sports. One guy provokes the other. The second guy retaliates, the official catches it, and it’s the second guy that earns the penalty.

In this instance, Marquez is obviously the first guy and Rossi the second. Marquez provoked Rossi, who responded in such a way that the official threw the flag at him.

However, there is another situation that often occurs. The first guy provokes the other. The second guy responds by pushing him back, or whatever. In response to the retaliatory push, the first guy hauls off and throws a punch at the second guy.

Guess who always gets the penalty there. Guess who is always ejected from the game.

The first guy, the one who completely crossed the line and threw the punch, that’s who. Of course. He took a routine conflict and escalated it to a dangerously violent level, and was caught doing so.

As mentioned earlier, Marquez provoked Rossi. Rossi responded. Had it ended there, Rossi gets the flag. It didn’t end there, however. Nope, Marquez responded to Rossi’s retaliation by choosing to run into Rossi—the motorcycle racer’s equivalent of totally losing his cool and throwing a punch.

Marquez committed the greater foul; in fact, the greatest foul imaginable in motorcycle racing. No matter what else is happening on the track, one simply may not choose to ride his motorcycle into another, not when he has other options, and Marquez had numerous other options. Even if it means being run off into the dirt, which was hardly the case here, as Marquez could have easily opted to tap his brakes and duck under Rossi (among many other available options), that’s what a rider must do. It is then up to the officials to levy punishment upon the offending rider. Just as the proper response to a shove in football, baseball, or basketball is not a punch thrown at the face of a rival, so too is running into another rider equally verboten.

Can’t throw a punch. Can’t run into another rider. Period. This basic rule supersedes all others. It always has and always will.

It must, lest we have anarchy.

And yet, in this instance, the guy who committed the retaliatory shove is being punished and not the guy who both instigated the conflict and threw the punch.

Bottom line, that’s what we’re staring at here. Congratulations, MotoGP. Brilliant job. Against all conventional wisdom, flying in the face of every precedent, you just rewarded the punch thrower.

• Jacksonk says:

Ask Gibernau or Stoner if Rossi has ever “simply chose to ride his motorcycle into another”. Jeez man, you are carrying around a Rossi persecution complex. And have you noticed that your viewpoint “flies in the face” of the conclusions drawn by every motor journalist I have read on the incident? Or is it all an all inclusive, worldwide conspiracy to rob the most popular rider of all time a final world championship??????? Oh look, I just received a 1000 dollar check in the mail from an anonymous source just for posting my disagreement with you.

• Scott says:

Can you please show us a list of all the journalists that have concluded that VR kicked MM, and that MM was an innocent victim who had nowhere to go?

Thank you.

• VLJ says:

Yep, Rossi did use Gibernau as a bumper rail. Here’s the difference, though. Race Direction didn’t penalize Gibernau.

That would have been ludicrous, right?

• Lenz says:

I watched the race also. This version of the incident is nonsense. The author of this post is a blatant apologist for yet another overtly aggressive move by Rossi.

Time for Mr Rossi to retire – he has moved into the frustrated and angry behaviour that is often seen when athletes are at the end of their competitive career.

I think the videos and commentary disagree with your version of reality…..

Meaning VLJ……

• VLJ says:

Both your video and EZMark’s confirm that Marquez ran a mile wide on his own, that he had all sorts of room to avoid colliding with Rossi, and that he initiated the contact that led to his fall. There is no question that Marquez could have avoided contact but chose instead to barge his way straight into Rossi.

Both videos also confirm that Rossi did not kick Marquez’s handlebar. They clearly show Marquez hitting Rossi’s leg.

Sorry VLJ, you’re just not recognizing reality here. Marquez approached the turn on the correct line (notice how much the radius decreases after the point where Rossi puts him down), Rossi approaches so far inside that he would have never made the apex at race pace, but then he wasn’t planning on doing so. MM’s head hits Rossi’s leg because rossi is braking and standing his bike up at a point long past where he should’ve been turning in, not because Maq is accelerating. By the point this all happens, they’re both on a part of the track that neither had ever put their wheels in their entire careers because Rossi ran them out there.

The on bike footage on my DVR CLEARLY shows Rossi move his foot from his footpeg to MM’s handlebar and back, in a controlled manner, not an accidental contact between them.

• Scott says:

What channel did you record this from? I watched both the FS1 version, which is on my DVR, as well as the MotoGP feed, and I never saw any such camera angle.

I’m not arguing, but I’d really like to see this shot. Can you tell us where on Rossi’s bike this camera was positioned? I’m guessing it had to have been somewhere on the left side fairing, looking backward?

Is there any way you could take a screen shot and post it on YouTube?

• VLJ says:

The video you posted shows no such thing. It shows the same thing every other video of that incident shows: Marquez leaning into Rossi once, twice, before hitting Rossi’s leg.

If there is another video that clearly shows Rossi intentionally lifting his foot from the peg to hit Marquez’s handlebar—as opposed to his foot and knee momentarily coming off the peg as a result of being struck my Marquez, which is what every video shows—it hasn’t surfaced. It also doesn’t jibe with all the other videos we’ve seen. Moreover, Race Direction already confirmed that Rossi did not kick Marquez’s handlebar. In fact, the only parties that are still making that ridiculous claim are Repsol (laughable), the president of Spain (bwaaa!), and, well, you and Jeremy.

Produce the video.

In the meantime, every video also shows Mark veering wildly off the racing line, entirely on his own. Yes, Rossi followed him out there, but they were both going so slowly at that point and there was so much available track space that Marquez had all the room in the world to avoid a collision. Instead, he opted to create a collision.

Every video shows this, clear as day.

I am not claiming he kicked it. I am claiming he made contact with Marquez’s handlebar. Or Marquez’s handlebar made contact with Rossi’s leg, however you want to say it is fine with me. The front tucked immediately after. I do not in any way believe that to be an intentional act by Rossi to fold Marquez’s bike.

Good enough for me.

~removes Jeremy from the very short, dubious list of parties that claim Rossi kicked Marquez’s handlebar in an effort to make him crash~

Delusional Rossi mist in your eyes VLJ…….Maybe we really are in the Matrix. It’s the only way your version of reality could function.

9. jacksonk says:

Good LORD there is a lot of people on here who have drank deeply from the Rossi Kool-Aid fountain. Rossi is human, just like the other riders. He had a bad moment. He has had a lot of bad moments in the past and not been penalized for it. He made a whopping mistake at the worst possible moment. Sh@t happens. Deal with it. Just because he is a great racer doesn’t make him immune from making a mistake occasionally. He did it this time in front of the whole world and got called on the carpet for it. I’m not a Marquez fan…MM has been getting the “Rossi” treatment himself since he has been in MotoGP. But this time Rossi screwed up. Marquez’s passes were hard but fair. What would happen if everytime a rider disliked another rider’s race tactics he took him to the edge of the track??? Nobody would ever complete a lap for chrissakes!!!! Rossi is a great racer but he is NOT perfect and he is NOT a god and he is NOT above the human condition. He broke the rules and, IMHO, got off lightly for it.

10. Curly says:

There’s plenty of guilt to go around in this mess. The real issue now is how does the season end on a positive note for all concerned? By all concerned I mean Rossi, Marquez, Lorenzo, their teams, their sponsors, Dorna and most of all the fans. Their handlers should convince the three riders to sit down and consider that the three of them finish the warm-up lap by running through the pit lane and stopping at the exit. Then as the field comes by they race cleanly to the finish. For Rossi it restores the chance he lost through his temper to stay with Lorenzo and win his 10th championship, for Marquez it removes the stain of having denied Rossi that chance due to his youthful petulance and for Lorenzo, the jealous team mate, it provides him with a strong chance to win the title fair and square and not be gifted it. No matter how it finishes they would go a long way toward rebuilding their reputations as sportsmen and at the same time provide the fans with what might be a race for the ages.

in other LOSER news…

as all this “argy bargy” unfolded in Sepang, a similar thing was unfolding right here in CONUS at COTA. the Mercedes drivers spat as a team-mate (some characterize as a “party boy”) SUCCESSFULLY defends his title. in an article for ESPN, F1 pundit Kate Walker suggests there is an “Art To Losing”…

“As has already been pointed out by the wits of the internet — Nico Rosberg didn’t wave farewell to his championship chances with a bit of wheelspin late in the American race. Whatever the mathematical reality, Rosberg lost the title months ago — possibly even as early as last winter, when Hamilton set about identifying and eliminating his 2014 weaknesses in order to boost his claim on a third title.”

“What Rosberg seems to have forgotten is that there is a certain grace in losing with dignity, that a good sportsman can find himself venerated despite defeat.”

(in reference to Massa ’08)

“Any anger or misery he may have felt at the loss was kept behind closed doors”.

read it and weep boys…

• TF says:

I’m having a tough time with Nico’s attitude. The kid seems to have a sense of entitlement with a side of envy.

It’s funny…..this Nico/Lewis thing has a Lauda/Hunt flavor to it except they’re on the same team. Maybe even more like Lorenzo/Rossi?

12. Craig says:

One of the better written articles on this mess.

I agree with this article that Marquez and Rossi brought this on themselves. Our boy Lorenzo, wanting a fee title is the big loser. It’s been handed to him basically, but he wanted more. Should have been the big man, but this happens amongst top athletes; just usually not all of them on the same day… 🙂

• xLaYN says:

+1, very good, extensive but covers a lot of points.

• Curly says:

David Emmett’s piece is the best analysis I’ve read. It is long but well worth the read. Please go there and exercise your reading skills. You may come away with a different view of the characters in this affair. Yay Dani!

13. Gng says:

All that matters is who will be the 2015 world champion at the end of the race at valencia. As a Rossi fan I hope (a) most riders will allow rossi an easy pass (b) as many riders as possible will be ahead of Lorenzo (c) the factory Hondas aka marquez will have a fair race and not play any games. Oh, and a very good race for the ducati and suzuki riders that will see them anead of the yamahas – a joke for those of you without a sense of humor.

Do not underestimate the pressure on 99, he is still 7 points behind rossi. Also I am confident that Honda will not allow marquez to embarrass them again (yes, rossi was at fault, but marquez behaved as a spoiled kid, not as the front man of a multi million investment of honda).

Hope we enjoy a clean race.

• TimC says:

Why the heck should they “allow an easy pass”? This ain’t dustin’ crops…if Rossi is potentially a GOAT then he should make his way up no problem….

• Gng says:

Traffic can be a bad thing – I drive kids to shcool every morning so I consider myself to be an expert hahaha

• TexinOhio says:

Never knew there was paint trading in school zones…

• TimC says:

LOL I think there was a Far Side (possibly never printed but in a book) of a crossing guard embedded in an old couple’s grill, with them just driving obliviously on of course….

14. Dave says:

OK – Rossi Fans – take your ROSSI BLINDERS off for a moment………and face facts.

1. At this point – week to week, Marquez is faster than Rossi most of the time.

2. Marquez didnt win the championship because he crashed a lot this year – (AKA…Kevin Schwantz) – when he stayed upright, he usually won.

3. The fight between Lorenzo and Rossi is a battle in the bigger picture of Motogp. I dont understand when people say that no one should race with these guys because they are involved in the championship. If you guys think that Marquez / Pedrosa / Iannone et al.. shouldnt fight with them every week you are an idiot. Maybe they should just send Rossi and Lorenzon out a half lap ahead of everyone to “fight it out”….you guys are ridiculous!

4. Rossi has always played head games with fast competitors in the past….and almost always won (Lorenzo being the exception). That was his game with Marquez because he couldnt outrace and beat him on the track. If Rossi didnt want to race with him, he should have gone faster just like Pedro and Lorenzo did this week. He couldnt – so he locked into a battle with him instead.

5. When he couldnt shake off Marquez – Rossi got frustrated and didnt know what to do. He intentionally went well off the racing line (straight in the corner) – throttled well off – ran Marquez up the track and when they came together becasue of ROSSI’S trajectory – kicked at him, hit his brake lever and down Marquez went. It was a childish act becasue for once Rossi couldnt come out on top and win – and he didnt know what to do.

6. Rossi got off easy – he should have had his points removed for the race and started at the back of the grid.

And if your Rossi guys think I’m nuts – Just reverse the bikes and what would you be saying about Marquez right now?? I’ll tell you – THAT MARQUEZ TOOK ROSSI OUT! Don’t deny it and don’t deny reality………..

re: “I dont understand when people say that no one should race with these guys because they are involved in the championship.”

yet there is no SHORTAGE of understanding when say, Karel Abraham is shown a blue flag. a long understood and accepted principle found IN the MotoGP rulebook.

Which is the case when you are being LAPPED and you are WELL OFF the race pace – no fair analogy or comparison here……

Correct. You have to race your peers regardless of what the championship points count is. Each race is its own entity with the podium up for grabs to anyone who can take it.

re: “You have to race your peers”

which must be balanced with RESPECT for your peers.

admittedly, these are advanced concepts that can only be processed effectively by an ADULT mind. ie. something Marc DOESN’T possess.

but no worries, the paddock (and the public) are about to give him one.

re: “no fair analogy or comparison here”

like hell, he’s out of the points.

doesn’t mean Marc then gets to use a bike that runs top 5 (nay top 3) as cover for his unsportsmanlike conduct as he FAILS to defend his championship.

everybody seems to forget we have a 22 year old (a child under my roof) losing his #1 plate.

• TimC says:

Damn Norm you know everything.

I think Honda would disagree with you. He is a 2 time Motogp champion that is paid handsomely to do exactly what he was doing. Beat everyone else on track – especially from a different manufacturer.

Why didnt Rossi just “motor away” like Lorenzo and and Pedro did? Obviously – because he is not fast enough. The only reason Rossi is even in the picture is because he has been more consistent – usually not faster. He should have fallen in line behind Marq when he realized he wasnt fast enough to beat him. Marq could have towed him back up the grid. If not – they could have settled 3rd and 4th in the last couple of laps. Instead Rossi tried once again to “Prove a point”…….and this time it cost him. I would argue it should have cost him a lot more…..

And BTW – I’m not a Marquez fan – I actually like Rossi – but the old warhorse was flat-out wrong this time.

re: “I think Honda would disagree with you”

Honda would also LIE that they don’t have back door control of MotoGP, but that’s another conversation for another time.

Maybe Morm –

They should just let Rossi and Lorenzon race first at Valencia – after all they are the only one “in the points”…..

2 questions –

1. At what point can someon race with Rossi and Lorenzo given your viewpoint?

2. Would you have the same attitude if the roles were reversed?? Rossi (in this scenario out of the pooints) running with the championship contending Marquez – would Rossi have the ability to race Marquez at that point?

Oh Norm – conspiracies arise………(eye roll)……

re: “The only reason Rossi is even in the picture is because he has been more consistent”

right then, the prime reason Marcus ISN’T in the picture is because (like Rosberg in F1) he lost the title months ago.

tap, tap, tap, is this thing on…???

re: “conspiracies arise”

nothing “conspiratory” about being a whopping -90 points off from Rossi’s 312.

no, EMBARRASSING is what that is when you’re a 22 year old hot shoe, and have grown accustom to Spanish Media telling you that you’re God’s gift…

“coochy coochy coo”.

Q: “would Rossi have the ability to race Marquez at that point?”

A: Nope. (Lt. Aldo Raines voice)

and Ross should catch the same hell for interference.

Q: At what point can (someone) race with Rossi and Lorenzo given your viewpoint?

A: when they’re IN CONTENTION points wise.

what we all wanted to see was a square showdown between Ross and Jay, and thanks to Marc’s fragile EGO, the worldwide racing community has now been ROBBED of this. the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or in this case, the needs of the MARCUS).

look, the FIM only awards 1 Riders Title, not 2, not 3, not 4…? the plaque for the “alternates” is down in the LADIES ROOM.

ROSSI robbed you of it – not the FIM………..

• TimC says:

“The LADIES ROOM” ah knowitall AND sexist. Great.

• TimC says:

Plus “Marc’s fragile EGO” – yeah again Rossi had NO FAULT in any of his own behavior in this flap. Again, as pointed out by others, Schumacher sure comes to mind, and as pointed out by myself, Senna.

• pete says:

Go and watch Montegi 2010 Norm.

15. Thud says:

What Rossi did was a standard block pass used in SuperCross at every turn two riders find themselves in

16. Axle says:

Rossi was probably wrong in his actions, but it brought serious attention to the reality of what Marquez has actually been doing for a while and his actions have far more serious repercussions for the whole MotoGP circus. How can anyone trust what his real intentions are at any given race especially if the championship is out of reach for him? Honda must be scratching their heads really hard right now and I hope they decide to leave Marquez off the grid for the last race so that the race can run fair and square.

• TexinOhio says:

Dorna won’t allow their golden boy to sit out the race…

re: “Dorna won’t allow their golden boy to sit out the race”

Dorna would merely “dislike” their golden boy sitting out.

they could honestly do f$%kall to stop him. he could sit in Urbino and watch the race on MotoGP, then afterwards hold a press conference in town square announcing his retirement. OMG, his nana’s taken ill…!?

17. bozogo says:

Marquez is so much faster than Rossi he can just toy with him and pass him wherever and whenever he wants. Rossi picked the wrong guy to head stuff. Why he would rant about someone who is not in contention is beyond me.

• Joe for Toronto says:

Val was hoping that calling out MM he would back down. But dumb a$$ MM made things worse. Too bad MM could not have been penalized for being a child! I bet you if MM didn’t fall, once him and Val were down enough time he would have made up the time again like last race and finish 1st or 2nd. Val should retire like Casey Stoner, Motogp and the Spanish mafia is getting really bad. I just cancelled my subscription to watching Motogp. Too bad VAL won’t win this title!

re: “Marquez is so much faster than Rossi”

Marc’s BIKE is much faster than Ross, in much the same way we saw Iannone’s D16 “go back to the future” last week at Philip Island.

• xLaYN says:

inverted natcork, JL bike where ahead… therefore…

re: “inverted natcork”

nope, traces of peeled blue and peeled orange paint can be found on Crazy Joe’s kit.

but thank God for his DNF right…? this means we can go check for this, as he DIDN’T get SCUTTLED like so much Russian submarine as we saw happen to Dovi when Crutchlow dove under him and touched HIS bike/handlebar during this same race.

curious do you guys pay attention at all to these races…? or are they just on for “background noise”…?

18. Thud says:

This is all Pedrosa’s fault.

19. Joe from Toronto says:

MM is a spoiled brat and a liar, hope he gets what is coming to him.

• xLaYN says:

40 years of continuous championships, history remembered the greatest and mightiest racer of all time, the one who prevent the villain VR from getting another gp championship.
      in 2020 as result of better and better riding, cure to cancer where develop, peace treatments where signed across the world, Hyosung got 1% US market share and inflation where decreased to -1000%, suddenly a cent on the bank would make you rich instantaneously.
      as a result MM where put on an oval where he will race forever to keep the system going.

Taurus horoscope: double shot of whiskey on Valencia final, buy a big yellow hand that says “Vamos Vale”
      Conspiracy theory #1: “Vamos Vale Valencia”, tripple v, planets align… I knew it!

Addendum: I agree with Thud above: it’s all Pedrosa’s fault.

What has Marques lied about?? What does he have “coming to him……………..?”

Q: What does he have “coming to him(?)”

A: self-acceptance that he’s ignominiously failed to defend his title.

and not on his feet challenging either…? but “Stoner style” upside down in the gravel with gas pouring out the tank. psychologically, that’s gotta be hard on the kid.

but that’s not Ross’ fault, he should take it up with HRC boffins for “trying to fix what isn’t broken”. that’s engineering “no-no” 101.

20. Ninja9R says:

I’m praying for RAIN at the final race.

21. Mark from Toronto says:

I dunno what this nonsense is about Rossi “running Marquez” off. What Rossi did was a block pass, but he slowed on the racing line to force Marques to slow even more. Marquez tried to ram his way through and went down. His bike hit Rossis leg and Rossi was trying to get his foot back on the peg. Aggressive but so was a lot of the stuff Marques was pulling.

• PatrickD says:

it was quite a long way off a mere block pass.
      If you see the corner and where those guys were, it’s nowhere near close.
      What it looks like rossi tried to do was to run Marquez to the end of the track. Now, you can bluff that on the exit of a corner, saying that your speed carried you out there, but on the way in? Get real.

No, that isn’t what happened at all. If you look at the overhead footage, you’ll see that Rossi ran Marquez all the way to the end of the track and that Marquez would have had to leave the track had he not turned in towards Rossi. Rossi left the racing line completely.

• Bill says:

Or MM could have slowed down… :-0
        (He actually had plenty of room before the edge of the track.)

• mickey says:

Bill says:
          (He actually had plenty of room before the edge of the track.)

Disagree… the turn was getting tighter to the right and Rossi was still on an angle which would block any attempt to go around (easily seen from above view)..MM had 3 choices (1) stop altogether (2) run off the track into the grass (3) lean in and try and force VR into continuing the turn.

he chose the latter. I’d have chosen choice # 1 and raised my arms as in well, what to do want to do now?

there is a great editorial on the whole thing over at MotoMatters

Sure, he could have stopped.

The overhead view shows that he did not have plenty of room. The trajectory Rossi forced him on would have taken him off the track had he not come to a nearly complete stop.

• VLJ says:

Did we all miss the memo? Was Marc running a Speedway bike? No, he wasn’t? He was riding a normal MotoGP bike?

So his bike did have brakes, right? If so, and I’m pretty sure it did, then you seem to want to overlook the other super-easy option Marc had, in addition to the equally easy options of: 1. Not running wildly, inexplicably wide before deciding to run straight into Rossi 2. Simply continue on. There was still plenty of track available, especially at the slow speed he was traveling. He was in no danger of running off the track.

Anyway, option three…

3. Tap the brakes and duck back beneath Rossi. He was behind Rossi. The entire track was available to him. Rather than let off the gas before accelerating directly into Rossi, he easily could have tapped the brakes and veered to the right, taking the inside line back from Rossi.

There were so many easy options, yet he chose the only one that could lead to him landing on the ground: letting off and then accelerating, leaning straight into Rossi’s bike.

And, no, Rossi did not “run him all the way to the end of the track.” Marquez went WAY off the racing line all on his own. Once there, Marquez still had plenty of room. They weren’t at the end of the track. Not even close. Marquez has squeezed through much tighter spaces—and at much higher speeds—than that.

Marquez probably could have done any number of things but was likely riding under the impression that Rossi was still sane. By the time he realized that was false, there was only stop, go off the track or try to force Rossi to make the turn. I would have turned into the chump as well, and I’m sure Rossi (or any of the top guys) would have done the same if roles were reversed.

They would have both remained upright had Rossi not hit Marquez’s handlebar, but that doesn’t matter as the foul took place before that. So whether Marquez fell, ran off the track or stopped for smoke, it doesn’t make a difference.

• VLJ says:

Marquez didn’t need to stop. He merely needed to tap his brakes. Or turn. Or accelerate. Or hang back. Anything, really. They were going so slowly, any maneuver besides running straight into Rossi would have been as easy as pie.

And, no, Rossi didn’t hit Marquez’s handlebar. Marquez leaned into Rossi. He initiated the contact, not Rossi. Had Marquez not ridden into him, Rossi would have kept on riding while giving Marquez another “Wtf?!” look.

As for Rossi’s “foul,” well, it was nothing but a low-speed block pass. It was the same thing Marquez kept doing to Rossi, over and over. And Rossi didn’t make Marquez abandon the racing line and veer a mile wide. Marquez did that all on his own. Once Rossi saw this, all he did was try to block him. He didn’t try to run him off the track or make him crash. He certainly was never going to hit him.

Rossi hit the handlebar as he raised his leg. I do not think he did that on purpose as that is a very normal reaction to getting touched and Marquez was right there.

That was not a block pass. A block pass involves choking the line you expect your opponent might take while you are still racing. That is what Marquez and Rossi were doing leading up to this incident. When you stop racing to block the whole track, that is a different thing altogether.

• mickey says:

ok so lets say MM had a couple options, Rossi had options as well right?

When MM went wide Rossi (1) didn’t have to follow him (2)he could have cut off the blockade at any point before the incident and continued to race (3)could have tightened his line and accelerated away from him (4) could have continued to do battle and eventually leave MM behind,therefore finishing 3rd (5) continued to do battle and maybe make MM run into HIM, (6) continue to battle and lose 3rd place ending up in 4th with a few less points, but still a lead in the points chase and not having to start from last on the grid at the Championship deciding race.

Choices and consequences. We all have to make them and live with the results

• Hot Dog says:

Jeremy and Mickey are making sense but a good majority of the posters here talking with their arse because their mouth knows better. Power is nothing without control and Rossi just plain lost it.

• mickey says:

Mark, looking at the tape you’re going to say Rossi could not have turned any tighter in that corner?

also this is what Rossi and his team manager Lin Jarvis admitted to. They both admitted to running Marques to the edge of the track. So after viewing the tape you want to call Rossi a liar and say he didn’t do what he admitted to saying he did?

I know reading my posts you’d think I’m anti Rossi but anyone who has read every post I’ve written knows I was pulling for Rossi to get his 10th and have been all season. This was a bone headed move on his part. I’m NOT saying he knocked Marquez down, I am saying he quit “racing” in order to intimidate Marquez and in doing so set this incident into motion resulting in the crash. The same conclusion Race Direction came up with and the same conclusion the FIM came up with.

and if you look at the freeze frame of Rossi’s first gesture to Marquez a couple laps before, Rossi makes a block pass, looks back, then looks back at the track and then shoots Marquez the finger as he rides away. It wasn’t a WTF, it was a F U. That had to help the situation. (sarcasm)

• VLJ says:

Exactly. Rossi was fed up with Marc’s blatant antics, to the point that he’d already demonstrated his displeasure once before in the race. The second time was just a much slower, more exaggerated block pass, which Marc set himself up for by running a mile wide on his own, for no apparent (good) reason.

• mickey says:

VLJ says:
          ” which Marc set himself up for by running a mile wide on his own, for no apparent (good) reason.”

Given that is a true statement..so VR just HAD to follow him out there. He had no other options right?

Race direction, the FIM and his own Team Manager seems to think he had other options

• VLJ says:

Of course he had options, and he chose the same one Marc had repeatedly chosen, i.e., to slow down and block.

Was it the wisest decision? Nope, definitely not, as it unfairly cost him the championship, but it was no worse than what Marquez had already done countless times. Plus, Rossi didn’t lie about anything. Marc did. On top of that, Marc was clearly targeting Rossi, when he had no business doing so.

Then, to cap it off, Marquez flat-out ran into Rossi, again. He had an easy half dozen better, safer options, as did Rossi, but only Rossi chose one of those safer options. Marquez chose to run into another rider.

When the video clearly shows Marquez barging into Rossi, which it most certainly does, it is sheer lunacy to penalize Rossi instead of penalizing Marquez. You keep saying that Rossi didn’t need to do what he did, that he had plenty of other options, and, granted, he did. So did Marquez. The difference is, Rossi’s decision only hurt his lap time. It wasn’t the best racing strategy, obviously, but his decision did not endanger himself or any other riders. He left Marc all sorts of safe, easy options. Marc’s decision forced a crash. Just as you say Rossi could have done, so too could Marquez have easily chosen another tact. Instead, and unlike Rossi, Marquez opted to force a collision, exposing himself and another rider to potential injury.

Weigh each decision. Whose was truly the more reckless? Who broke the most cardinal rule of motorcycle racing by intentionally colliding with another rider?

This is a no-brainer.

• mickey says:

VLJ says

“You keep saying that Rossi didn’t need to do what he did, that he had plenty of other options, and, granted, he did.”

BINGO

• VLJ says:

Now quote the rest of what I wrote…

“So did Marquez. The difference is, Rossi’s decision only hurt his lap time. It wasn’t the best racing strategy, obviously, but his decision did not endanger himself or any other riders. He left Marc all sorts of safe, easy options. Marc’s decision forced a crash. Just as you say Rossi could have done, so too could Marquez have easily chosen another tact. Instead, and unlike Rossi, Marquez opted to force a collision, exposing himself and another rider to potential injury.”

BINGO

You’re welcome.

VLJ – I’m sure you’re a good guy, but you obviously cant look at his impartially and it shows in your replies…

• VLJ says:

Sure, says the guy who swears Rossi kicked Marquez’s handlebar, causing him to crash.(This, despite every video proving otherwise. I know, I know, you and Jeremy saw some “Magic Bullet” video that somehow reveals Rossi’s peg-bound boot to lift even before Rossi’s leg was struck by Marquez. Every other video clearly shows Rossi’s leg didn’t move until it was struck by Marquez, but, well, never mind.)

Nope, no crazy bias on your part. None whatsoever. You’re tilting at phantoms, basing everything on a mirage, but I’m the one lacking impartiality.

Love how you also fail to grasp the most obvious, indisputable point of all: Regardless of each rider’s dubious displays of on-track gamesmanship, only one rider initiated direct contact with another rider. More damning, this one rider was afforded myriad opportunities to avoid a collision and chose to create contact anyway. That one rider was Marc Marquez, not Valentino Rossi. That one rider has also done this exact same thing on multiple occasions, with nary a single penalty levied against him by his Spanish keepers.

Ignoring all this, there is your basis for impartiality.

Take a bow. Your brand of level-headed equanimity is a shining beacon of steadfast righteousness to all and sundry.

🙂

He’s a great guy… But if you had read any of his posts about Hayden, you’d know he is prone to delusion.

Nice.

:thumbs up:

re: “This was a bone headed move on his part. I’m NOT saying he knocked Marquez down, I am saying he quit “racing” in order to intimidate Marquez and in doing so set this incident into motion resulting in the crash.”

right then, why are you unable to rewind the hands of your “thought clock” to the beginning…? but instead deliberately start in the CENTRE of the timeline, and show yourself INABLE to solve this problem, or any other you might encounter…?

• mickey says:

The beginning of what? The universe? The beginning of the season? The beginning of the race when the lights go out? Say something that makes some sense for once will you?

Well, I can’t solve Rossi’s problem or Marquez’s or MotoGP’s or Dorna’s or apparently Norm’s problems either (whatever those might be).

The beginning doesn’t really matter. I know it was certainly frustrating for Rossi, but the only part of the timeline that matters is when he went vigilante on Marquez for whatever grievances he felt, real or perceived.

• VLJ says:

No, the only part that ought to matter is when one rider takes it upon himself to hit another. Everything else is just rider gamesmanship. If you’re honestly looking for an example of a rider going rogue vigilante, and truly wish to penalize the wrongdoer, there’s your huckleberry.

gentlemen, you may not be young in age, but I contend you are all “baby young” to grandprix.

as such you lack the MotoIQ (a term you’ve only heard me mention before) to properly evaluate what you’ve witnessed.

Q: “The beginning of what? The universe? The beginning of the season?”

A: the CONFLICT.

re: “Aggressive but so was a lot of the stuff Marques was pulling.”

see, the Maple Leaves get it.

You’re not based in reality…………..

• VLJ says:

Yep, that video only further confirms that Marquez ran a mile off the racing line for no (good) reason, and that he alone created the contact, and that Rossi never kicked his handlebar, and that Marquez caused his own crash despite having numerous safer, smarter, better options.

Case closed. Stick a fork in this one.

22. Chris says:

regardless of what anyone wants to think or believe, Rossi was completely in the wrong in this situation. therefor he was penalised accordingly by Dorna. the points he has accrued throughout the season (per the pre-existing rulebook) force him to start from the back of the grid. it was not a personal decision by any one or multiple members of Dorna. THERE ARE NO CONSPIRACIES HERE.

Rossi has no one to blame but himself. his behaviour got him into this particular predicament. unfortunately only a handful of people are unbiased enough to understand or admit to this. he purposely slowed down, intentionally got in Marquez’ way, looked at him several times to make his point, and the rest is disappointing. there is no denying the facts.

i don’t really care if Rossi rides or not, i’ll still be watching the race.

Lorenzo has outrode Rossi for many years now, hands down. and he’s outrode him this year also, winning more races.

if Rossi is the undisputed king of 2 wheeled racing (which he is not, that’d be Ago and Hailwood), then he should have just rode away and let his riding do the talking.

arguably Rossi himself started all this shit with the Phillip Island smack talking to begin with. in my opinion, just shut up and ride your bike. this isn’t Jerry Springer, it’s MotoGP…

23. Trpldog says:

Bottom line – Rossi stopped racing and then acted like a jerk towards MM, then continued with the race. What if MM got seriously injured. I was a Rossi fan until this totally avoidable immature move. Rossi should have gotten the same number of points MM received for that race. Too bad.

• Trpldog says:

Just for that i’m gonna beat all them thar aliens with a Buell in the next race.

re: “Rossi stopped racing and then acted like a jerk towards MM”

but wait “Crash Bandicoot” who’s almost 100 points out, and pissed that he’s losing his title is NOT acting like a jerk. ok got it.

24. Grover says:

Will the race officials review ALL the tapes of the incident and amend the penalty on VR, or will they try to avoid embarrassment by staying with their original decision?

25. Curly says:

No one comes out good in this. Rossi loses a championship that he could have won fair and square. MM becomes a hated character by half of all MotoGP fans and Lorenzo gets a freebee and is also hated by half the fans. How to get out of this Dorna? Get the three of them to agree to pledging a clean race then let them shake hands and start from the pit exit together when the lights go out and the field passes. The spectacle would be incredible with them scything through to the front. Can you see it in your head? May the best man win.

26. ergopower says:

I don’t think I’ve seen this helicopter video linked by anyone in this thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNpQyFe8y0. To me, it’s a better angle. MM initially does go out quite wide, then VR drifts out, presumably with the intention to block him and force him to lift to fall in behind. I am guessing that VR is looking back so intently to see when MM hits the binders, he will pin the throttle at that moment to get as big a gap as possible. Instead, MM tries to force his way through, and although it’s a bit blurry, either his forearm or his hand/handlebar make contact with VR’s lower leg. In reaction, VR pushes out his knee (foot still on peg), which moves the handlebar and down goes MM. Not very close to how MM described it, but neither was he headbutting as the other video seems to support. IMO, VR is partly at fault for trying to run MM out of track, and Lin Jarvis’ comments are similar; but MM more at fault for taking one for the team by initiating contact. If they both go down, game over. If just he goes down and it looks like some blame will go VR’s way, still a good chance to get the result he did.

27. Delmartian says:

#BoycottValencia Let’s start a movement: If Dorna’s penalty isn’t reversed, or at least isn’t reduced from 3 penalty points to just 2, which would allow Rossi to start where he qualifies, then I’m not gonna watch the race. Period. (What would be the point ?).

#BoycottValencia = Lame.

A single-rider boycott is like the ultimate form of whining, so I hope he doesn’t do that. Rossi was in the wrong this time no matter what people want to believe, so he needs to just suck it up, show up and ride like a mad demon to get up to the front. That is the best thing he can do for himself and his fans. I’m not counting on it, but it would be monumentally epic if he is jockeying for a championship-winning position by the end of the race.

• TimC says:

Agreed, after reviewing more comments/descriptions it sounds like MM was “asking for it” to a certain extent but it was still on VR to deal with him by leaving him in the dust, not running wide/off-line and getting into a petty dust-up like that.

The only thing VR can do to save this is to win the championship fair and square in the last race – I’m expecting him to fairly easily get to say the top 6 if not better so while it’s a long shot it’s definitely possible….

• Delmartian says:

Watching the race as “the incident” happened, I couldn’t believe what I had just seen. I felt so bad for Rossi, that he had let his emotions get the better of him and had kicked Marquez out of anger that he couldn’t shake him off. Even watching all the FS1 replays shown from what must have been 8 different camera angles made it look like Rossi had done wrong. HOWEVER, after reading Dorna’s press release that acknowledged that Marquez was suspiciously speeding up and slowing down, which would indicate he was trying to prevent Rossi from having a fair attempt to close the gap to Lorenzo, and after seeing the new video posted, and re-reading Vale’s comments, and all 180 comments in this thread, I have reached a simple conclusion: Rossi was provoked by Marquez, and instinctively pushed him away with his thigh/leg when Marquez head-butted him. Vale is still my hero, and I think I actually now admire him more now than even before Sepang. Shame on Marquez, not Rossi.

• TimC says:

Even if MM punked him, which I admit appears likely as noted above, VR still should’ve just outrun the twerp. If that wasn’t possible (which it also looks like, and that MM was giving him the buzzing of flies treatment), VR still had himself to blame for being there and not able to get away…and for how he ultimately handled the situation.

• Delmartian says:

Agreed. I just feel that Dorna’s penalty was too harsh, and ruins the finale to what could have been the ultimate showdown between #46 & #99. Plus Dorna’s Spanish bias seems like a real issue, and Dorna should have erred on the side of removing suspicions by penalizing Vale 2 points, not 3.

Even if Rossi was indeed provoked, he still let his emotions get the better of him and committed a foul.

I don’t know Marquez’s intent with respect to “messing” with Rossi (nor does anyone but Marquez himself). The passing was aggressive by both riders, and that slows the two down no matter what. Under normal conditions, I would expect both riders to try and tow each other back up to the front. But though die-hard Rossi fans would never accept it, there is the possibility that Marquez decided he could not keep Pedrosa or JLo’s pace and decided to fight it out for third. Or maybe Marquez stepped up to the fight Rossi had picked earlier that week. Neither action is against the rules, and Rossi is the one that lost his composure.

Personally, while many seem to assume that Marquez could have just instantaneously squirted to the front of the pack whenever he wanted, I think his pace was off. Even in the multi-lap duel with Rossi, it was clear that the Honda was moving around a lot more and that Marquez was really working. I believe that Marquez knew letting Rossi get away would insure a 4th place finish for him, and he fought for the podium spot. Is it reality? I don’t know, but it seems more plausible than Marquez deciding he will spit polish the championship and hand it to Lorenzo which is what many seem to think.

• TimC says:

“Neither action is against the rules, and Rossi is the one that lost his composure.”

+ 1

“…it seems more plausible than Marquez deciding he will spit polish the championship and hand it to Lorenzo which is what many seem to think.”

total:+2, right on.

re: “he still let his emotions get the better of him and committed a foul.”

no such thing as a “foul” when a man is defending himself from attack.

but defence stipulates this IS something they have in baseball.

it’s good job this ain’t MLB.

“it’s good job this ain’t MLB.”

You are correct: it’s MotoGP, and it is called a penalty. Which you can earn by defending yourself with actions that do not involve racing.

• TimC says:

“A championship-winning position” – which is interesting, as by my math* JL has to be 1st or 2nd to really have a near-lock. If he’s third I think VR only has to get 6th to still have the championship?

* I don’t know who’d win in a tie and can’t research that deep right now, so I’ve assumed VR must be a point ahead

re: “A single-rider boycott is like the ultimate form of whining”

there’s no whining in baseball…!!! err… MotoGP.

28. TexinOhio says:

What race was it that Rossi had to come from the back of the pack and won it?

29. Brian says:

After watching the slow motion video of the incident (93 was clearly leaning in), and the words of #99 afterwards voicing his disappointment in the lack of a harsher punishment for his teammate, I’m hoping Rossi doesn’t boycott. I’m hoping for a safe ride by #46 and a mechanical DNF by #99…