Expect New Models With DCT as Honda Promotes Technology With New Web Site

032516top-i

Honda has launched a brand new web site dedicated to the promotion of its unique dual clutch transmission for motorcycles (DCT). Honda already employs a DCT transmission in several production models, including the new Africa Twin (which Dirck will be testing at the U.S. press launch next month). Honda has been developing, and refining, DCT for some time, and MD has already tested the second generation Honda DCT, which we found impressive in the 2014 CTX700.

A Honda engineer was recently quoted as saying DCT is headed for use in sport bikes, and that production DCT is even more efficient, and faster, than the seamless transmission used by the factory Repsol Honda MotoGP bikes.

Among other models, you can expect a new Honda Gold Wing with DCT in production before too long.

Here is a YouTube video Honda introduced in conjunction with its new web site.

See more of MD’s great photography:

Instagram

1. Jim says:

All you traditionalists, take heart! Honda makes a manual version of every bike that it offers with a DCT option. As for me, I’m enjoying the hell out of my DCT Africa Twin. The transmission allows it to punch above its weight when you’re riding aggressively on road as it will downshift far quicker than most riders would bother to do manually, keeping the engine on the boil. And lets you focus on your lines offroad and will never stall in tough offroad conditions — like the ultimate Rekluse.

When I feel like “being one with my bike” I leave it in manual mode. Does exactly what I want, when I want. And the shifts are incredibly seamless so even mid-corner gear changing never upsets the bike’s composure.

And when I’m commuting 30 miles through city traffic, I can let the bike do all the work in automode while I pay attention to the traffic flow. My left hand appreciates the break from constant clutching after 20 years of doing it every day.

It sure is nice to have a choice… Thanks to Honda.

2. BikeNut321 says:

This sounds like the reckluse clutch in the motocross world. Ten years ago it was written off as a novelty for trail riders. Its been improved over the years and allows the manual use of the clutch, it just eliminates the possiblity of stalling. Now its used by a bunch of top supercross and moto fast guys, not just old guys riding sngle track.

3. HallsBrookRd says:

Hello All, I think you are misunderstanding the DCT. If you haven’t tried it then 1-you should not comment against it and 2-you don’t know if you wouldn’t like it. It seems like Joe B. is just trying to explain the benefits. People who are open minded should see it as an opportunity not a threat. I see people saying that maybe it will be good for the newcomer or to a person who can’t handle the complexity of the clutch or to women… those points might all be true but they are missing the big benefit. The dual Clutch makes riding much more enjoyable and safe for experienced riders. If you are an experienced rider like I am (30+ years) the first thing you realize when riding the DCT is the bike is much safer and you have more time to enjoy the ride. For example if you need to come to a quick stop to avoid a car turning in front (I mean really quick) then all you have to do is hit the brakes and the bike will not only stop but it will immediately down shift to 1st. Another example is coming to an intersection, instead of down shifting like crazy to get to first I can relax and keep my eyes on the traffic and make a better judgement about when to proceed thru the intersection. What experienced riders find out is that the DCT gives them the more time to enjoy the ride. Isn’t enjoying the ride what is all about ?

The issue of increased safety should not go un-noted. With more and more cars on the road and less attentive drivers with the texting and cell phones, motorcycle riding has become a lot more risky. We need to do what ever we can to reduce the risk. The DCT will be a big reduction in reducing the risk because instead of worrying (taking the time to shift) about what gear you are in for accelerating out of an accident or decelerating to avoid one you can be looking at the road and maneuvering to increase your safety. One last point, there are 3 types of people relative to acceptance of the DCT , 1-early adopters who see the big benefits, 2-skeptics who at some point are open to experiencing it and 3-Closed Minded people who think an improvement on the way things work (new technology) is an attack on everything they have learned over the last 40 years. Please keep in mind which group you are in. If you are in group 3 (Closed Minded) then I challenge you to try the DCT before you keep attacking people for recommending it. If you visit sites like the ctx700forum you will see comments from thousands of people formerly closed minded who now see the advantages of the DCT. Education and experience makes all the difference. Please keep open minded.

4. Billy Bowen says:

I would like the DCT if they bumped up the CCs and horsepower on the Goldwing.

• Francois says:

Really, more cc’s on a 1800 motor already? It does not need more cc’s, it needs less cc’s. It is a block of flats already. Never ridden and also don’t want to, but I understand it can do with more horsepower.

5. takehikes says:

UH, no. Pass. A bike is a tenuous enough thing without me having full control of it.
    5 decades riding everything from dirt to choppers has taught me to pay attention and be in control.

6. Scottie says:

Not for me now, but neither is a trike. However, sometime in the next fifteen years I may say yes to both.

7. Doc says:

I like using a manual hand clutch and foot shift. I don’t like shifting with buttons. Nuff said!

• joe b says:

…and your bike has kick start only. Right!

• Scott says:

Joe.

You have made quite a compelling argument for DCT. You have done your research, and you have thoroughly explained how the system works. You have put a lot of time and effort into experimenting with the system and sharing your findings here. And we appreciate it. You should get a job in the Honda marketing department, as you would be a great spokesperson for their technology.

That said…

I’m still not interested in owning a motorcycle equipped with DCT. Neither are quite a few other people here. Deal with it. You’ve been jumping to an awful lot of conclusions about what we want, what we *should* want, what we “don’t understand”, and what hypocrites you seem to think we are.

I can tell you, you’re way off base about most of it. If there’s one person who has been running around screaming like Chicken Little, it’s you. Comparing a motorcycle to a typewriter? Comparing a dual-clutch transmission to a kickstarter? Please. Give it a rest. Your point has been duly noted. Again and again.

You need to realize that not everyone thinks the way you do, or has the same desires and goals as you. Your condescending attitude toward everyone who dares to question the need for this DCT technology is bordering on offensive.

• joe b says:

advice taken.

• Mick says:

Just for the record. Yes. My bike is kick start only.

8. Dino says:

I had no idea how shackled I was by the manual gearshift and clutch on my bike! The Horror!

I suppose DCT could bring some new riders in the fold who were a bit nervous or scared of shifting themselves, and did not want a scooter.

Nice video, but DCT is not for me. I do not ride a bike just for transportation. I enjoy the interaction with the road, the bike, and that includes the drivetrain…

9. Jamo says:

Would it be too much to ask, what does it do?

• Dino says:

DCT is Dual Clutch Transmission (I think). They have cars that have DCT, and it is two clutches in the transmission. One clutch drives the odd set of gears, and the other clutch drives the even gears. So when you are in first, the other clutch is ready to fire into second. When in second, the other clutch gets third shifted and ready.

I do not know how they know or predict if you want to upshift or downshift… That would require a different gear getting ready. If you are in 3rd, do you want to go up to 4th, or might you be running into a corner and want 2nd. I guess it depends if you are still on the gas, or off the gas and on the brakes. Seems like a lot of work by those computer controlled clutches!

• joe b says:

I asked the same question. Its more than simply automatic transmission for someone who cant use a hand clutch. DCT, Dual Clutch Transmission, utilizes two clutches, so either up or downshift, is accomplished quickly/smoothly, and… the parameters of when, how, why it shifts is set by you. 3 basic modes. In Automatic, there is Drive and Sport to choose from. Both act similarly, like the automatic in your car, with sport having higher shift points, up or down. Manual, allows you to decide when you shift, by pressing a button, either up or down. You can also use upshift/downshift buttons in automatic, and after your quick double downshift pressing a button twice, and as you settle into steady speed after passing a car, it returns to its normal automatic mode. When ever you turn the key on, its in Neutral. A button puts it in gear, you choose between manual, sport, or drive. You gas it, drive off, it shifts for you, up or down. Stop at a light, similar to an automatic car, it simply waits in gear, till you gas it to go. You can put it in neutral if you like revving it at a stop light. Its impossible to list all the parameters, like heeled over in a turn, if you use the front brake, it downshifts. This isn’t like your buddy who chirps the tire when he downshifts, the algorithm blips the DBW throttle, so all you feel is steady throttle and a smooth transition to a lower gear, smoother than you can do with a hand clutch. Perfect, everytime, anytime. The shift points are directly related to how much throttle you use. WFO, it shifts at redline. Easy throttle it shifts like you would want it. Drive or Sport, has different, well lets say attitudes, Because when and why it shifts depends on how much throttle, you give it. In manual, it does what, when, you want. This one feature, seems to contradict so many that think with it, it can only be in automatic mode, it makes me want to grab them by their lapels and shake them. What the DCT does best is shift, smoothly, up or down. You know how when you ride double, and your passengers helmet hits the back of yours, when you shift sometimes? That jerkiness, isn’t there, in low throttle situations. Of course WFO everything is fierce, with or without DCT. Comparing it to a scooter, or it not being able to shift, is completely missing the point. Someone even said, he wanted a clutch and transmission on his bike. DCT is Dual Clutch Transmission. I’ve seldom seen so many comments from so many that haven’t a clue as to what they are talking about.

10. Brian says:

Dave, I couldn’t agree more with what you have said. In the 80’s Honda’s motto was “Follow the leader, he’s on a Honda”. Well, that’s gone because now the only thing Honda is leading is last place in new products! They do not seem to possess the innovative passion of the past while Polaris has. Now, I’m an ATV guy and this is where my point of view is coming from. I can’t believe the TRX450R is still not fuel injected!!! Honda just kinda plops along, making sales off of their legendary reliability. Reminds me of when Yamaha dropped the hammer on the off-road world when they unleashed the YZ400F. They caught everyone with their pants down! Honda struggled to catch up over the next 3 years, creating successful machines in the CRF line-up, yet and again reaching a plateau. It’s strange that Honda still uses drum brakes on most of their ATVs, while introducing all the techno-gizmos on their motorcycle line, whether needed or not. Honda does seem to be wandering around with a deficit of fresh ideas.

11. richard says:

Hopefully they’ll sort out the issues that have been reported on some of the Africa Twins. It sounds really dangerous. If you haven’t seen it, see

12. Dave says:

I agree fully. Nice wiz bang technology though. I think it would be better suited to a 4 wheel vehicle.
    I feel Honda as a company has lost touch in almost every way. Ever since Mr. Honda died the company seems to be with out vision. They still make high quality products, they just don’t lead anymore. I was a Honda guy in my younger years but haven’t seen any products that open my wallet in a long time. Even the Africa twin is a “me too” follower, and pretty late to market as well.

13. Bob says:

As a life long gear head, motorcyclist, and machinery lover, I’ve found that riding a motorcycle comes closest to making me one with the machine than any other activity I engage in. I find joy in how it reacts to my input, and find satisfaction in my ability to make the clutch, transmission and engine’s powerband work in harmony. Taking that function away from me will detract from the fun I get from that involvement. For me, the DCT isn’t about whether or not it’s a better way to shift a bike. Objectively, a computer can probably do it more efficiently than I can, but I don’t think that’s a function of riding I’d want taken away from me, especially after 52 years of riding. Others may never miss it. I would, but then that’s just my perspective.