Yamaha MT-10 Will Be Called FZ-10 When It Arrives in U.S. Next Year (with video)

052716top-i

CARB (the California Air Resources Board) has blown its fair share of surprises for motorcycle manufacturers here in the U.S. Most recently, earlier this week, it was discovered that a new 2017 Yamaha model was certified as the “FZ-10”, a clear reference to the MT-10, R1-derived naked bike available in Europe currently.

As we wrote earlier, not only does this naked get the heart of the current R1, it has many of the same electronic aids, and is sure to be a monster on the street. The bike has already been tested in Europe, and you can take a look at the MCN video below for a sampling of the European press reaction. When we get official word from Yamaha, we will publish full specs and color options.

See more of MD’s great photography:

Instagram

1. Mick says:

Do I hear the 09 whine on this bike? That is a real non-starter for me. That makes the 07 the only MT/FZ/FJ/XSR engine in my book.

When I saw this article I thought that it would be fun to count the number of times origami was mentioned. I came to find that Transformers was more popular. For my part, I don’t mind the styling of this bike. At least Yamaha is working on a new styling direction.

My goodness. Must every motorcycle made look like a retro from some time in the past? Sure the headlight is what I would call weird. But it’s a whole lot better than some of the front runners of the ugly headlight competition of the very recent past.

Now if we can only get the rest of the tail section back. Things would start to come together.

2. Jeremy in TX says:

Man, that thing sure sounds magnificent. The face is pretty silly-looking, but I quite like the rest of the design particularly in blue, busy though it may be. All can be forgiven just for the sound it makes, though. I need a good quality ringtone of that.

3. Don says:

That bike has a face only the designer could love. Let the Transformers styling be gone!

4. Craig says:

Coming off of a sport bike to this bike will seem very awkward, as it will going the other way… You do have to remember what each bike is build for and in that setting this bike is perfect for the street with a strong ability to enjoy a few track days… It is not an R1 with handle bars and never was or was going to be.

It sounds like an awesome thought… but then again… just buy and R1 and then buy a handlebar conversion kit. 🙂

Can’t wait to ride one and see if it makes me want it enough to leave my modified Street Triple R… probably not.

5. Vrooom says:

I’m kind of disappointed it’s not a triple like the FZ-9, but I’m sure it screams. Naked bikes aren’t wonderful for the US, but a sport touring version of this would be great.

• Vrooom says:

Sorry, I meant the NW, not the US. They’re fine for the southern half of the country, perhaps ideal.

6. Hot Dog says:

The sound of her moaning while she’s getting full throttle is enough to overlook any warts or questionable looks. I like the bike. Those of you that don’t like the looks of it must be worried what others will think when you’re riding it. Perhaps insecurities would be best addressed by staying home on the porch with the women and dogs.

7. Vince says:

We already have it in Canada. It was avalable on recent Yamaha demo rides. It is listing for $15499. The US$ / CDN $ exchange rate is 1.30 roughly, so an estimate is maybe $ 11,900 for the USA?. Everyone I know that tried it really liked it.

• Steve says:

Same price as the Tuono 1100RR and S1000R. Only both bikes have better components, better power output and frankly look a lot better.

8. Zinnman says:

Butt ugly origami styling. I could never get past that.

9. Steve says:

Engineering department gets a B at best. This bike has the old traction system off the Tenere, which was already old when they put it on the 2012+ R1. It gets a detuned version of the R1-S engine, so none of the fancy Ti and lightweight internals of the R1. They’ve geared it so that it seems competitive with the better bikes on the market (Tuono 1100RR, KTM 1290R, S1000R) and priced it at par in North America so far. You’d be a fool to buy this over the European bikes which come spec’d with quality Brembo brake components, braided lines, multi-axis traction control, Bosch 9MP ABS, and full-spec motors with more power (change the sprockets if you want even more zaniness). Not to mention the looks.

• Gutterslob says:

Yeah, I’m a fool for not wanting a bike that breaks down every other weak.

• Vince says:

+ 1
        I had a long wait for warranty work on my V4 Tuono’s low quality front Grimeca front brake rotors. The rotors vibrated…

• Provologna says:

A graduate of the “Berate and Offend Your Audience” and/or the “Writing For Masochists” school of writing technique? (“…You’d be a fool…”)

Very impressive, but not in a good way.

And not very good w/facts I see, too: Yamaha sells two versions of the “R1” you mention, one with and one without “fancy Ti and lightweight internals.”

• John says:

I totally agree that the euro bikes have it beat. But if this comes in around $11000 are they still in the same catagory. Still feel like it’s a solid buy for the price just like the other fzs. Plus super reliable and cheaper to maintain.

I agree. The comparable Euro bikes may end up costing considerably more and are for a different kind of consumer really. This bike as well as comparable offerings by the Japanese OEMs offer an amazing level of performance without the big price tags and the generally higher risk of pain-in-the-assery that comes with owning a European machine.

10. Cagefree says:

Love it, going to buy it.

11. Daytona675 says:

Tried this bike last week. It sucks…. it has your typical 1000 power but the riding position was stupid uncomfortable. Bad peg placement, handle bars was too high even for a sport touring bike and it felt top heavy which made taking corners a challenge. Throttle on the A-mode was almost as touchy as an MV.

But if you just like opening it up on straightaways while sitting up in the wind like a sail, this bike has is for you!

Getting back on my Daytona made me fall in love with it all over again.

• Half Baked says:

Good luck finding a Triumph dealer when they’re all out of business. And if Jolly Old leaves the EU then Hinckley and the rest of their socialist buddies will be toast. But you keep enjoying that Day-tone why you can.

• Fabio says:

Triumph 675 is an amazing bike and there will be plenty of dealers around.!!John Bloor has done well!!

• Flubber says:

Bars too high on this bike? Are you a hobbit?

12. graham mccullough says:

high tech: great. styling: not so much.

13. Tank says:

Engineering department = A+ (bonus checks have already been mailed),
    Design department = F (Pick up your severance checks when you punch out today. Letters of recommendation are pending.)

• Half Baked says:

Release dates were recently set for the 5th, 6th and 7th installments in the Transformers movie franchise. World wide box office for the first 4 pictures is around 3.7 billion USD. If you don’t care for the styling of this machine than it is safe to say that you are probably not Yamaha’s target demographic.