Beauty or Abomination? MV Agusta Reveals F4Z

082616top-i

Although scheduled to be unveiled on September 4, for some unknown reason MV Agusta posted a clear photo of the F4Z on its Twitter account last night, followed by another angle on Instagram this morning. This is the design collaboration with Zagato that we told you about earlier. The photo above is the Twitter posting, the photo immediately below is from MV’s Instagram, and the photo at the bottom is the Photoshop-enhanced version of a teaser we posted last week.

082616middle

We appreciate it when designers take chances, but we admit to being puzzled by the F4Z on a number of levels. This will be an extremely fast machine with the superbike engine and chassis from the MV Agusta F4, of course, but the ergonomics and wind protection (or lack thereof) don’t seem like a good fit with that power and speed. Those thoughts occur before we even get to the aesthetics.

In the end, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Share your thoughts below.

082616bottom

See more of MD’s great photography:

Instagram

1. Terry says:

It didn’t work for Edsel in the late 50’s but why not try it again. vulva haven’t changed.

2. Sean says:

Looks they they took all the wrong styling cues from the Lotus motorcycle concept, which in my opinion was pretty damn gorgeous.

3. beasty says:

K1200GT fairings looked similar to this.Was that ugly too?

4. John says:

I like it. Futuristic, without jumping the shark. It actually is closer to how I imagined the bikes of today when I was a kid.

5. Jim B says:

This thing is BUTT UGLY!!!

6. SeTh says:

Needed a front view photo to see how much flow-through there is. And crosswinds’ effect? Brake, turn and tail lights will disrupt the clean lines.

7. Tim C says:

The comments to this are awesome. Up to 122 currently and I am still amazed at how many different ways folks have come up with to say “abomination.”

I love you guys.

8. Geoffrey Hill says:

It looks better than the Transformer toy look that has taken over.

9. Jdilpkle says:

At first glance up close, it look ugly. But when I moved back 50 feet from my screen and refocused my eyes – it looked absolutely hideous. It looks like one of those eels that latches on to its victims with its sucker mouth. Other than that I like it. It makes my Buell look like a 1199 Ducati – that should tell you something. Excuse me – I gotta go find that bag I found on the airplane. Good luck with that.

10. Don says:

From the handlebars back it’s good to go.

11. Dale says:

Wow! This looks fantastic. Cool. Only problem is, they will certainly be out of money (for the forth time?) before this ever makes it to production…..

12. Pete says:

VFR Katana

13. Vrooom says:

Wow, hope it looks better in person. There’s not been an MV Augusta I didn’t lust after at some level, but there’s a first time for everything. Hope this concept evolves, but there’s not much time to do so.

14. jimmihaffa says:

I think great styling happens when form and function are integrated in a way that doesn’t obscure the visual cue of the functional part’s purpose. In this design, the functional elements are reduced or fused to single part visual cues and that effectively renders it ugly.

15. Simmy says:

George Jetson’s robot looks better. That seriously misses the mark!

My original vote was removed (I guess Dirck didn’t enjoy my comment) but for the record, I find this bike ugly. It has very strange proportions.

17. PN says:

Did someone say Honda Pacific? I don’t know, the Italians often lead with designs that others copy (single-sided swing arms, under tail exhausts, flat black finishes, minimal decals) but this is a real pile.

18. skytzo says:

The best comment I saw on FB about this thing was “it looks like the ugly love child of Shamu and Iron Man”. That about sums it up.

19. azi says:

Agree with others saying this is reminiscent of Hans Muth’s Suzuki Katana – a radical styling skin on top of a relatively mundane and conventional chassis. Personally I think this is a good looking design that would be even better with hub centre / cantilever / hossack steering and electric power.

20. Marcus says:

Finally manufactuers are building bikes that are beautiful again. I’m so done with the transformer razorblade clusterfuckery that has dominated for so long.

21. oldridertom says:

I’m liking it a lot. We have had enough retro to gag a moose, the anime look is erupting everywhere, and it seems everyone has an “around the world” bike in their model lineup to make going to work feel like something special. Here we have a very smooth outer shell, with a headlight peeking out the front and a hint of the complexities of the actual running gear at the rear of the bodywork.If all of the missing street legal equipment blend in when added, I think they have a potential game changer here. Or a turkey that no one will buy. Bravo MV! It takes a bit of moxie to try something new.

22. DaveM says:

Striking. Art Deco locomotive springs to mind. I like it.

23. Jeremy in TX says:

Response is overwhelmingly negative, but I have to say that I am quite intrigued by the design. So many elements of it break the mold, and I think I quite like it. It reminds me of the Ducati 999, a bike I didn’t like the look of at all initially but now holds a place in my mind as one of Ducati’s most attractive sport bikes.

The design of this MV makes me think. And the more I think about it, the more I appreciate it. The more I appreciate it, the more able I am to see the beauty in it.

24. Randy in Nebraska says:

Cool! Now there’s finally a way to make a Yamaha FZ-10(a bike I like a great deal, except for its styling) look bitchin’! You just park it next to one these beauties! I can’t believe that MV Augusta (the company that brought us the Brutale, maybe the prettiest thing on two wheels I’ve ever seen) is actually is actually going to make something this ugly. How sad.

• Joe says:

So right !
      Most everything they’ve done to this point is just beautiful.
      This is so incongruous!
      Is this merely someone’s styling exercise or will it be a production model?

25. EGS says:

I admire their bravery bur question their judgement. As others have mentioned I wonder what it will look like in final, street-legal form.

A select few will see it as a must have – perhaps that’s all that matters…

26. Kagato says:

You look like a sport bike…you sound like a sport bike…but I’ve got eyes….
    you’re a Dalek in disguise oh yes you are…a Dalek in disguise…

27. Motorhead says:

It has a well hidden headlight, which is unique to motorcycles. And it has no mirrors or blinkers, which renders it not street legal. Put those onto it and suddenly it won’t look quite so unusual. The latest Honda VFR has a few lines like this. I like it.

28. greb says:

Reminds me of the ’82 Suzuki Katana, a quirky design, around for a couple of years and then gone. Looks like a styling exercise on this MV.

29. Rod says:

i believe the wind protection, for a shorter rider, will be fine. The gas tank will take care of the upper body coverage, leaving the upper front of the fairing/small screen to handle helmet duty. Back end is incomplete.

1 word, WONKY.

but then maybe that’s the point…? they say there’s no such thing as “bad publicity”, so if the goal is to put the name MV Agusta in the mouths and minds of the motorcycling public (if only for a brief moment) i’d say they’ve succeeded.

31. Motorhead says:

it has only two wheels. It’s A-OK.

32. Martin says:

Close, but not quite. Looks like it was designed by someone that likes to draw pictures of fast motorcycles, but has never actually ridden one.

33. StephenT says:

It has Beautiful lines from the faring into into the tank, but what I think would look nice would be a larger more interesting upper faring that what looks like on this one, would turn with the bars. The first Ducati multi-Strada attempted this look as I think “stinkywheels” was alluding to, but fail pretty badly in my estimation. That does not mean it couldn’t be done beautifully.
    It could also be a dealer or aftermarket add-on.
    Further either a dramatically smaller round front headlight which they can do now with LEDs, or an interesting cat eye headlight centered by a small LED main light. Just my .02 worthless ₵’s…

34. Joe says:

Could this be the two wheeled version of Conan Obrien’s “If they made it?”
    Looks a bit like the homely offspring of an early era small displacement scooter and a futuristic hover bike with great fit and finish.

35. bad Chad says:

It looks super cool!

36. stinkywheels says:

If I was given one, I’d take it. To buy, not quite. Did Pierre Terblanch get loose in their design studio?

• Exbike says:

Why is there never love for good ole Pierre? Many remain upset about his 999/749, both of which I think have proven to be forward-thinking designs that have been very influential – you can see the 749/999 influence in many current designs. On wikipedia there is a listing of his motorcycles, just looking at them shows how much of an artist he truly is:

Ducati 888
      Cagiva600 Canyon
      Cagiva 900 Gran Canyon
      Ducati Multistrada
      Ducati Hypermotard
      Ducati Supermono
      1999–2007 Ducati SuperSport
      Ducati MH900e
      Ducati 749/999
      Ducati SportClassics
      Moto Guzzi Concepts Eicma 2014
      Confederate X132 Hellcat Speedster

• Doc says:

The 888 and Supermono were exceptional in styling. Great looking both of them. First Gen Monster, yes. Everything thing else on this list, no. And when you go from a 916/996(one of the best looking sport bikes ever) to a 999, it is a big disappointment to say the least. Going from a 10 to a 6(being generous) cannot be rationalized.

• Mick says:

Sorry man. Got no love for Pierre. I was going to post a joke involving a chipper. But I didn’t.

• stinkywheels says:

The only ones that aren’t aesthetically challenged were the 888 and Supermono and they weren’t clean sheet designs. Just my opinion though. The SS wasn’t too bad, nor the Sport Classic.

37. ivan says:

I love it as an avant garde styling exercise and would love to have one. I do think it would look better with twin headlights instead of the one eyed droid look. For some reason Zagato did not contact me for my opinion before finalizing the design.

38. Skido says:

Looks like they just copied the Suzuki Nuda Prototype. http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-nuda

39. Bill N says:

Real bikes have rear fenders.

40. Fred says:

I guess if a person does not have anything good to say about this bike it is best to say nothing. Although, I do agree with Marc, it does make a KLR 650 look really good.

41. Gutterslob says:

Has some nice lines on it, but it looks so…. bloated.
    What’s it filled with? Donald Trump’s breath?

• mickey says:

Hillary Clintons honesty and morals

• Gutterslob says:

But that would have made it skinny, because she doesn’t have any.

• Half Baked says:

You can’t hardly go anywhere without hearing about the US presidential elections and all the endless negative comments surrounding it. Do you think it would be possible to leave that crap out of this blog and confine your remarks to the subject at hand.

42. I think the styling is very interesting. Has a 1930’s alternate reality look to it. At least there is some artistry here instead of the “Michael Bay Decepticon” inspired lines we have been seeing as of late.

43. bob says:

like the look. doesn’t look too comfortable; but, I’m not a speed demon either.

44. Fazer 8 Ry says:

I have to tend to the “abomination” side. From some angles it looks like some sort of fish. Maybe it’ll grow on me, but I’m doubtful.

45. HM says:

Just as soon as it laps quicker than other bikes in this cc of displacement!At that point it may become popular?As it is for my own tastes?I prefer the RC 30,RC 45,RC 51,RG 500 streetbike,RZ/RD/RZV 500,NS 400R,and a whole bunch of stuff that is better looking and probably quicker too?HM

46. Frank says:

No run of the mill bike. It’s interesting and nice looking. You won’t see many on the street, but when you do it will stand out from the crowded field of look-a-likes and make a powerful and positive impression.

47. Marc says:

Need more bikes styled like this one! They will make my KLR and Versys look good… or at least not as ugly.

48. Buckwheat says:

It’s interesting, but I’d prefer a bike with a more natural beauty that requires no explanation. If you have to explain it, you’ve already lost some of the joy of motorcycling.

49. rg500g says:

Ah, the sound of one hand clapping…

50. ABQ says:

I still say that it looks like a Honda vfr1200. With a better muffler, and worse headlight. Is it beautiful? Yes, in a museum quality but impractical to ride way.

• Fred says:

ABQ, I’ve got a VFR1200F in my garage, and the only similarity is the red and sliver tins of paint used here.
      This bike does not look like a VFR.
      It looks like a Show Special by a Design Student for their end of year assignment.