jump to http://bs.serving-sys.com/BurstingPipe/adServer.bs?cn=tf&c=20&mc=click&pli=12859440&PluID=0&ord=[timestamp]

Nominate the Best Looking Retro Standard Currently Available in the U.S. Market (with video)

We want our readers to offer their opinion in the Comments section below on their idea of the single, best looking retro standard currently available in the U.S. market. Just to get things rolling, MD nominates the Moto Guzzi V7 III Special pictured here (and also featured in the video below).

There are plenty of bikes to choose from, including models available from European (e.g., Triumph and BMW), American and Japanese (e.g., Honda) manufacturers. Let us know what you think.

See more of MD’s great photography:

Instagram

1. Ed says:

This is one seriously good looking standard, but do I spend the extra money for a Bmw R1200R pure? The Bmw may actually be too powerful for an old (65) fart like me. I also am concerned the 2017 Euro 4 emissions on these air/cooled may make them too hot for Florida.

2. Chris says:

1. Cb1100
    2. Street twin

3. Nrhretro says:

1. Honda CB1100 by a mile, looks good, very nice fit and finish. Someone said cheap-looking? Really?
    2. New Triumphs, (choose one)
    3. I like the color of the Guzzi, just not the rest of it..
    4. The R9-T appears to be a great bike, but i don’t consider it a retro.

4. Dino says:

I think the Honda CB1100 is the best looking retro-standard so far.

5. Norm says:

Honda cb1100 for me, triumph t120 a close second

6. DavidC says:

It’s a great time to be in the market for a retro standard.

My pick is the CB1100EX based on looks with the V7 running a close second. It’s an air cooled bike like the Guzzi while others have gone to water with fake fins. Some allowances must be made for emissions, but the CB gets by with an oil cooler and fuel injection and leaving it at that. The Triumph, BMW and so forth are also good and it’s great to have different interpretations. This is, by nature, an eye of the beholder thing.

Full disclosure – I own a CB1100 DLX.

I don’t consider cruisers like Harleys or Honda Shadows to be standards. Doing that brings in the Indian Scout and a host of others. Standards should be “sit up & beg” riding positions with mid positioned pegs and seat heights of 30″ or better

7. Allansb says:

I’ve got a Yamaha XSR900 60th Anniversary and it’s a great bike but the Guzzi is more of a throwback design. But what about the Triumph Bobber? I was on one at our latest show and the design is the ultimate throwback.

8. Dale says:

Indeed, you already hit the nail on the head with the new Moto Guzzi in blue. This has to be one of the best color combinations of any manufacturer today. I think what really does it on this particular version of the V7 III is the bright alloy wheels – a great throwback.

Second nomination would be the new Bonneville T120. Perfect in every way. Not the black one, but the silver and red one, again with the bright alloy wheels.

9. Max Frisson says:

The Street Twin by Triumph. The red with silver is nice. As a standard

The BMW R nineT Racer is the hottest seller right now. Much more interest than the Triumph Thruxton 1200 got

The Guzzi is very Honda looking and the Honda is just cheap looking

10. Danimal says:

Honda Shadow RS. They really nailed it with the VT750S!

• mickey says:

That was a nice bike. Very comfortable. Really slow seller though.

• Mark Pearson says:

Honda. Sometimes they make me want to beat my head against a wall. Or maybe theirs.

Cobra showed them the way to put cool Flat Trackers on the street before Ducati and Triumph’s updated Street Trackers and they do…nothing. Soichiro has left the building.

• mickey says:

The Cobra flat tracker and scrambler were both awesome. IF Honda produced those for sale, I would have 2 more Hondas in the garage.

They should also consult with Oberdan Bezzi on design. He draws some fantastic looking motorcycles.

11. Mitchxout says:

I would’ve bought a W800 if they were imported to the US. However, I’m very pleased with my recently purchased 2000 w650.

12. Cyclemotorist says:

I like the Triumph T120 best of all.

The V7 Guzzi looks nice. But what about the Eldorado? Does that count? The Eldorado looks like a standard to me.

I also like the Honda CB1100RS.

13. LarryC says:

As a long time Guzzi rider, I should pick something in their line. But the Royal Enfield Continental GT has got them beat for looks. We’re talking just looks now, not function.

14. Jeremy in TX says:

It really opens one’s eye to how crowded the retro-standard market really is when pondering this question. I can’t think of a design I don’t like. Or perhaps it is more accurate to say I can’t think of one I don’t love.

I tend to favor the more modern retros: the r-nine-t family, Ducati Scramblers, Honda CB1100RS, etc. The blend of modern and classical those bikes exhibit is very appealing to me. But at the same time, the Guzzis and even Harley’s new Roadster are definitively old school and no less inspiring to me.

My first pick would be BMW’s r-nine-t Racer, but I guess that bike technically isn’t a “standard” by definition. So with that in mind:

1) Honda CB1100RS
    2) Guzzi V7 III (any flavor)
    3) BMW r-nine-t Urban G/S