Harley-Davidson LiveWire Pricing Announced – In U.S. Dealers This Fall

Several years after MD rode a prototype, the Harley-Davidson LiveWire electric motorcycle is finally coming to U.S. dealerships this Fall with an MSRP of $29,799. Harley claims a 0-60 MPH time of under 3.5 seconds and 110 miles of battery range riding “urban roads”.

Here are all the details from Harley, along with information on two electric concepts (pictured below).

LAS VEGAS (January 7, 2019) – Harley-Davidson, the company that has defined the motorcycle industry for the past 116 years, today revealed two new concept electric two-wheelers and announced pricing and pre-order availability for LiveWire™, its first electric production motorcycle, at the biggest show in consumer electronics in Las Vegas. The 2020 LiveWire™ motorcycle is now available for US dealer pre-order at h-d.com/LiveWire with deliveries expected this fall and select global markets announced at a later date.

The LiveWire represents the future of Harley-Davidson, bringing high-performance electric propulsion, evocative design, and cellular connectivity to today’s rider. The first of a new electric portfolio of motorcycles that provides an all new two-wheel experience, LiveWire delivers thrilling acceleration, agile handling, premium materials and finishes, and a full suite of electronic rider aids and interfaces for a completely connected experience.

The performance of the LiveWire motorcycle will deliver an exhilarating ride for seasoned motorcyclists, while its clutch-free design also makes the experience for new riders easier than ever. Harley-Davidson also debuted two additional, electrified future concepts that further explore the potential of urban mobility. In keeping with LiveWire, both concepts bring Harley-Davidson’s expertise in expressive two-wheeled experiences and push boundaries in design and technology. These motorcycles are a significant part of the More Roads to Harley-Davidson plan to accelerate building the next generation of riders through new products in additional motorcycle segments, broader access and a commitment to strengthen dealers globally.

H-D Electric Concept 1 and 2

“We’re at a historic juncture in the evolution of mobility, and Harley-Davidson is at the forefront,” said Matt Levatich, Harley-Davidson’s President and CEO. “Innovation that moves the body and soul has always been at the heart of our brand, and this next chapter in our history is about creating products and opportunities for existing and aspiring riders of all ages and walks of life.”

“Our vision for the future is all encompassing,” said Levatich. “For all ages, from urban professional to exurban retiree, and from commute-minded to thrill-seeking, we are creating the products and opportunities for existing and aspiring riders to feel the transformative power of the two-wheeled riding experience. These two concepts are further statements towards that our commitment to lead in the electric mobility space that begins this fall with the production 2020 LiveWire.”

LiveWire Pre-Order Details

For more information on the new Harley-Davidson LiveWire motorcycle (US MSRP $29,799), as well as updates on future additional bikes, visit Harley-Davidson.com/Electric

An All-New Riding Experience with Iconic Harley-Davidson Power

Accessible to new motorcyclists and a thrill for accomplished riders, the LiveWire motorcycle is the perfect combination of power, performance and technology. Features include:

• Amazing acceleration: from 0 to 60 mph in under 3.5 seconds. The instant torque provided by the H-D Revelation™ electric powertrain can produce 100 percent of its rated torque the instant the throttle is twisted, and 100 percent of that torque is always available.
  • Twist-and-go ease of use: Electric power requires no clutch and no gear shifting, greatly simplifying operation for new riders. All riders will appreciate the braking effect of the power regeneration mode as it adds charge to the battery, especially in stop-and-go urban traffic.
  • H-D™ Connect Service: The LiveWire motorcycle is equipped with H-D™ Connect, which pairs motorcycle riders with their bikes through an LTE-enabled Telematics Control Unit coupled with connectivity and cloud services using the latest version of the Harley-Davidson™ App. This technology makes the LiveWire motorcycle the first North American mass-market cellular-connected electric motorcycle. With H-D Connect, data is collected and transferred to the app to provide information to the rider’s smartphone about:
    • Motorcycle status: Information available through H-D Connect includes battery charge status and available range from any location where a sufficient cellular signal is available. This allows the rider to remotely check the charge status including charge level and time to completion. Riders will be able to locate a charging station with ease thanks to an integrated location finder built into the H-D App.
    • Tamper alerts and vehicle location: H-D Connect indicates the location of the parked LiveWire motorcycle and alerts can be sent to the rider’s smartphone if the bike is tampered with or moved. GPS-enabled stolen-vehicle tracking provides peace of mind that the motorcycle’s location can be tracked.*
    • Service reminders and notifications: Reminders about upcoming vehicle service requirements, automated service reminders and other vehicle care notifications.
  • Performance and range optimized for the urban street-rider: Able to travel an estimated 110 miles of urban roads on a single charge.
  • Handling and control: The LiveWire motorcycle chassis is designed to deliver agile handling for confident control on urban streets and a thrilling ride on curving backroads. The H-D Revelation™ powertrain sits low in the motorcycle to lower the center of gravity and help the motorcycle handle well at all speeds and make it easier to balance when stopped. The motorcycle also features advanced technology including standard cornering-enhanced Anti-lock Braking System and Traction Control. The systems are fully electronic and utilize the latest inertial measurement unit and ABS sensor technology.
  • Distinctive Harley-Davidson sound, minimal vibration: The H-D Revelation electric powertrain produces minimal vibration, heat, and noise, all of which enhance rider comfort. The LiveWire model is designed to produce a new signature Harley-Davidson sound as it accelerates and gains speed. This new futuristic sound represents the smooth, electric power of the LiveWire motorcycle.

For more information on the “More Roads to Harley-Davidson” plan, go to https://investor.harley-davidson.com/news-and-events/accelerated-strategy.

See more of MD’s great photography: Instagram

1. Anonymous says:

I’ll just wait for the Japanese version.

2. Michael says:

I love the performance of electric motorcycles, had one, sold it. I think as a street bike it has to lean more towards the commuter market, sort of like Zero has done. If you’re lucky like me and live close to good roads to actually have fun on, electric doesn’t work unless you like going slow, I guarantee that 110 mile range they mention is without twisting the throttle much. Imo, electric bikes need to cost less than ICE bikes because people do sacrifice range and convenience of petrol, and do not give me the “electric means less maintenance” thing, electric bikes break down more than ICE bikes do, you’ll be replacing the $3k battery before you have to rebuild a gas burner.

Now, for city commuting and especially off road, electric is cool, very cool. I’ll buy another electric street bike when I can re-charge in a half hour (preferably less) and get an actual 2-3 hours of “ride it the way I want to” range, til then, smell my fumes…

3. Tom K. says:

“The LiveWire represents the future of Harley-Davidson” Unfortunately, they may be all too correct on this. Bye, Felicia.
    With apologies to Steppenwolf:

Get your motor humming
    No range for the highway
    Lookin’ for a charger
    Hope that no rain comes our way –
    Born to be wired!

(Hey, I was kind enough to leave out the “I like smoke and lightning” line). With a little more time, one could re-do the entire song, this stuff just writes itself. Anybody who wants to add stanzas, feel free.

• mickey says:

LOL… very good Tom.

• steveinsandiego says:

Tom, someone’s liable to take a turn for the verse…. 😉

i’m turned on by the ‘lectric transportation industry. a batteried bicycle may be my next garage tenant tech-toy. i wouldn’t mind seeing the coal industry going the way of the dodo; how ’bout water-, wind-, and nuclear-powered (neck stuck way out…) electricity?

not innerstid in an elec. auto due to short range – we travel cross-country by car almost every year, sometimes two times. lots of lonely miles to cover in the southwest.

4. Ward Bond says:

I love the LiveWire, but it will DOA when it arrives. The range is too short for us riders and price is for old rich white guys again. I hope the new HD adventure bike and other non-cruisers are better priced. Harley you’re in danger of being a dinosaur. SMH.

5. takehikes says:

HD just fell on the sword of their own making. $30k? What do they think it is? A Street glide? LOL What a frigging joke which is all they have become. I owned plenty of the old stuff which was pure crap yet its looking like maybe that was them at their best…..AMF couldn’t have screwed this up as badly.

6. Chris says:

The main problem I see is Harley riders buy Harleys because they SOUND powerful and fast. With out the potato-potato soundtrack, it won’t fly with the traditional Harley crowd. Playing cards held against the spokes with clothes pins won’t get it, I’m thinkin’.

7. orbit398 says:

Is this the best they can do? Really? They are headed to be out of business, similar to path Sears is on….

8. Tim says:

“In U.S. Dealers This Fall” – aaand still in U. S. Dealers next fall.
    At least nobody can snivel about the hideous mufflers.
    Now, that BMX looking model really intrigues me.

9. Laci says:

I know one of the buyers will be Jay Leno, but I don’t know the other nine

10. Kurt says:

Great looking bike. Price needs to be under $15K.

11. EZMark says:

I’ll bet they sell DOZENS of these.

12. Stan says:

Harley Davidson perpetuates its insanity once again.
    Our household’s been driving electric cars for 7 years. Currently have the new Nissan Leaf which has an MSRP of 34K but with 5k discount and 10k incentives=19k + tax. It goes 150-160 miles and is silent & plenty fast. It can carry 5 people.
    So we have a great SUV for well less than this Harley- that isn’t even set up to even take a passenger on.
    I rode the new Zero SR and was blown away at how FAST it is. It’s not fat or heavy. It’s nimble. It’s range and price-point beats this (ugly IMHO) monstrosity handily. The idea that Harley has made this mess emit some kind of noise is totally preposterous.
    BTW I ride an Yamaha R1, but the Zero SR is far more practical and versatile for daily riding. (Range – up to 223 miles in the city and 112 miles on the highway,)

13. joe b says:

This is obviously a bike for the rich and famous, to sit and look at. Maybe Leno will buy one so we can see it once a year, at the Hansen Dam Ride.

14. Mick says:

On this day, Harley thought that it was Apple.

15. Buzzard says:

I have been loyal to The Harley Davidson corporation, they are a great motorcycle,I own other brands too, but this motorcycle is priced too high for for most people for such a short range. 200-250 miles, 20k then it might sell. But the way it is I don’t think it will be successful. Too bad, a good looking motorcycle.

16. mg3 says:

NO COMMENT!

Well, if you insist. This is sad to watch.

I keep thinking it is some kind of bad joke. HD has lost its mind.

No rear seating / traveling capability, looks like it weighs a ton, can’t go more than 100 miles on a fill-up, looks like a stupid exercise in wretched excess with absolutely no redeeming social qualities at all. Oh I almost forgot, costs about 3 times what a decent motorcycle should.

Other than that I guess it’s pretty good!

• todd says:

The range is misleading since a “fill up” on an electric bike could fill up the better portion of a day. Most likely, you’ll need to limit your trips to 40-50 miles so you can make it back home to charge over night. If I visit my father in-law a few towns up the road, I would need to pack our bags and plan on staying the night. First stop would be the hardware store to get a 100’ extension cord so I’d be able to leave in the morning. Maybe I’d need to get a Lyft for my stuff since I could barely fit me and my wife on the bike, let alone a change of clothes and some toothbrushes.

17. todd says:

Sounds like they geared it for a 60 mph top speed to get the best acceleration. Maybe that’s why they say it’s only optimized for the “urban rider”, i.e. around town.

• Motoman says:

“You can get 100 percent instant torque on an ice bike too. It’s called dumping the clutch.” Not the way an ICE motor works. You may want to do a little research on that one.

18. Pacer says:

I’d rather buy two Alta SMs and bring a friend.

19. MGNorge says:

Obviously meant as a low volume halo bike going forward into the future. I don’t think HD sees throngs of bearded, tattooed road warriors whirling toward Sturgis anytime soon. Throw some ape hangers on there and forward controls and they might!

20. Jimbo says:

In this thread – too heavy (compared to a different Harley?), too expensive (compared to a different Harley?), too short range (compared to the average ride?) and too innovative (but Harley isn’t innovative). Too much complaining…

I want a fast electric bike in my garage and I’m excited to see them coming. Tons of torque, quiet, fast as f###, low maintenance – sign me up.

• mickey says:

You could have bought a Zero S a long time ago and already had one in your garage. I test rode one 2 years ago.

21. gpokluda says:

The bike looks nice and if it has the performance, should be an e-ticket ride. But $30K? Wowza! Hopefully this is a flag-ship model and some lower cost models will follow along. I’m not a Harley-Hater. I’ve had a few and they were good bikes and personally I would like to see the Motor Company survive.

22. Twindog says:

I hear taps being played.

23. Jeremy in TX says:

The production version isn’t quite as clean as the preproduction model, but it is still nice.

But $30,0000? What justifies that kind of premium over the competition in market segment that most people think is greatly overpriced to begin with. Do buyers of electric bikes really place the same value on Harley’s brand equity as cruiser buyers? I highly doubt that.

I don’t know for sure, but I think the electric motorcycle market is a completely different animal from a consumer standpoint than what Harley has in mind.

• Goose Lavel says:

$30,000 is what Harley Riders will pay as a premium for riding a Harley and knowing that you won’t be able to and they’ll have an exclusive bike to hold their nose up high

24. Mike says:

And keep in mind, most motorcyclists either aren’t ready for or don’t want an electric motorcycle. I know I don’t. An electric car maybe someday once they are more refined. Electric motorcycle, never.

I think if they want them to sell they’ll have to give them away.

25. Tom R says:

Goodness, what does this thing weigh? Ever picked up ONE basic motorcycle battery for an ICE bike? Just that is real freakin’ heavy for its overall size. Imagine attaching about 20 of these together. For those who think an Adventure bike is hard to pick up, you’re gonna need a crane if this thing flops over.

Oh, and make sure you turn around and head for home after no more than 55 miles out (of very conservative riding).

• Mike says:

55 miles? That’s our meet-up point.
      I guess I could have a cup of coffee with the guys then go home while they spend the rest of the day riding.

Yeah….no!

You’re referring to a lead-acid battery, this uses lithium batteries (as almost all modern EV’s do). If you ever get the chance, pick up a lithium ICE motorcycle battery- it’s so light it feels like an empty box.

That’s not to say this will be lightweight, but it won’t be nearly has heavy is you may be imagining.

26. Anonymous says:

Too bad Elon Musk isn’t into motorcycles.

27. chris says:

I saw this at the Harley 115th anniversary celebration in Milwaukee, this past August, and talked to a couple of the engineers, a great looking bike it is , but I think like most here the price is WAY to high

28. Jim Logan says:

Except for the fairing, I liked the look of this bike when it first appeared. Unlike other Harley Davidsons, the styling is more form follows function instead of form over function. But $30,000 ??? That is more than I paid for both of my current bikes combined. That is nearly as much as I paid for our first house(that will date me).

• TF says:

You have to factor in total cost of ownership and all the money you’ll save on valve adjustments. LOL!

• Lawrence Kahn says:

Hydraulic valves on gas Harleys..

• TF says:

Lifters.

My joking assumed (possibly incorrectly) that Jim’s other two bikes were not Harleys. It was also a commentary about the endless grousing concerning the cost of valve maintenance, especially on $20K+ toys.

I should have focused on the lack of tank seams instead.

• Jim Logan says:

You must have heard me grousing about the clearances being out on my KTM earlier this year. The cost of valve adjustments for me is my time, occasionally a couple of shims, and some gaskets. I enjoy the work.
            I will acknowledge the lack of oil changes at $60 a pop for just the oil will keep the cost down, but at $30,000 it will take a lot of oil changes to make up for double the amount I paid for the KTM.
            The lack of tank seams is a good point. I had missed that. It almost makes up for the fairing.

• Provologna says:

Hydraulically adjusted valve lash clearance.

God I wish poster’s obsession with valve lash clearance and its maintenance would go away. If it starts easily, makes little top end noise, and does not cough/spit on deceleration, fuggedabowt the OEM maintenance interval! (Ignore this advice for Desmos.)

29. Rhinestone Kawboy says:

I think Harley done a great job in designing this bike. It definitely has a Harley look to it which may be important to many. And yes, there will be a few well heeled people that will go for it for the exclusiveness of an electric Harley. And while I hoped that a major manufacturer would bring the MSRP down to a reasonable level, that appears to be not the case AGAIN with this one. Remember the Victory Empulse (lightly massaged Brammo by another name)? According to my information, they (Victory) sold only slightly more than 100 examples of that also expensive, but great looking bike, and with this Harley being an Ungodly 30,0000 plus change by the time it is OTD, I don’t see it making much of an impact with the new younger, upwardly mobile millennials that Harley hopes to bring into the fold. Harley is bringing or is to bring many new models unlike anything they had before to make them more desirable to newer Harley owners, but so far, they seem to be coming in at premium prices during a cycle in the economy where disposable income is at a minimum. Best of Luck Harley, I think you are REALLY going to need it.

30. CCrider says:

What does this battery with wheels weigh? Old farts like me need something they can pick up if they drop it! Is a charger included?

And the $29,700 price; by the time destination charge, doc fees, sales tax and a bunch of dealer added accessories are figured in, this thing will be approaching $35,000 or more.

Too much too late HD.

31. TunaPete says:

HD displayed a LiveWire prototype at Daytona several years ago. One of its marketed “features” was that it was designed to be loud. Seriously? A deliberately loud electric motorcycle? It was very loud. Unfortunately, it wasn’t loud in a cool “potato-potato” exhaust way, but sounded more like the whine of bad bearings in a car differential. Hopefully, HD has changed their marketing strategy and quieted the production bikes.

Unfortunately, I just noticed this in the HD press release:

“Distinctive Harley-Davidson sound, minimal vibration: The H-D Revelation electric powertrain produces minimal vibration, heat, and noise, all of which enhance rider comfort. The LiveWire model is designed to produce a new signature Harley-Davidson sound as it accelerates and gains speed. This new futuristic sound represents the smooth, electric power of the LiveWire motorcycle.”

• Goose Lavel says:

Too bad they designed it to be loud. Motorcyclists have to realize that tinnitus is a real possibility from long-term riding and having a intentionally loud, high-frequency wine as a good starting point two years of debilitating noise in your head.

32. Ricardo says:

So I said to my wife when Harley announced the LiveWire availability ” I will buy this bike if it’s in the range of $15k” which is compatible with the other electric bikes like Zero, however the LiveWire is much nicer, BUT $30K price? no thanks I want to remain married and I will keep my V-Rod. So next week I will go pick up my wife’s new Subaru Ascent for $35K!!

33. Reginald Van Blunt says:

Does anybody see the stupidity of crotch rocket knee bend and a seat position so absolutely confining on a nifty new motorcycle ? Oh, by the way, remember Buell ? Got $30 k to gamble ? Geeze Louise !

• Bob K says:

I don’t think the price is so much of an issue with a HD product but the ergonomics of the Live Wire. 99% of HD repeat customers simply don’t ride this style of bike. Most are feet forward controls and a smaller percentage are mid controls…which happen to also be somewhat forward. Regardless, they are all low seat height, long and lazy cruisers. HD are banking this model on a customer they’ve never acquired before. Nor have they tried to acquire that type of rider. (Trying to pass off a bought out Buell as a gateway wasn’t a real attempt. It wasn’t their creation in the first place) Chances are those customers won’t ever go to HD just because it is HD. That’s a shame too because the Live Wire is a pretty darn good looking bike.

• Reginald Van Blunt says:

I have to admit the looks satisfy my need for a little marcho in a torquer, except for the lower egos. It actually looks Harley to me. Maybe it is a good idea to not appeal to the HD set, but just make a motorcycle instead of an image.

34. Rimfire Hunt says:

Wow. Sorry HD you aren’t Tesla. Yes Tesla buyers will pay a premium price but it’s for their primary source of transportation. Money spent Motorcycles in the U.S. is usually from a person disposable income. HDs especially. The class of buyer would be above the folks who were in the V-Rod crowd. Chapter 11. Good thing I sold my HD stock and bought Tesla 3 years ago.

35. bad Chad says:

You guys are daft if you think this will sell because it’s a HD. It’s priced $13000 higher than the Zero! The Zero is claimed to do 223 miles of urban roads, to this dogs est 110!!! It will die on show room floor for sure.

36. Mike says:

I think Harleys electric bike is the nicest I’ve seen but at $30,000 dollars it’s priced as rediculously as all their other bikes. There’s other electrics out there with better performance at half the price.

I hate to say it but it’s fun watching HD go out of business.

• John says:

Mike, curious if you live in the the USA, not that it matters but maybe you could please explain how is it fun to watch a company go out of business that employs thousands of hard working fellow motorcycle enthusiasts??

37. Tommy D says:

Any Boomers here? Remember the mini bike craze of the 60’s. Did that spur you into your motorcycling destiny? It did me. I still remember riding Rupp’s, Mini-Trail’s. CT70’s and home built stuff back then. Could these concept bikes do the same thing today? Disapproving mom’s might let an electric slide by. Neighbor’s calling the cops due to the noise of a dirt bike around suburbia is not an issue. Market these toward kids. Make them dealer serviceable and above toy grade. Make them look like a motorcycle and YES that Flat Track concept should be next on the list. Make it sized for a kid but strong enough for uncle Buck to ride. Sell upgrade kits for it. Call the upgrades Stage 1, Stage 2… Sound like the genius of the 60’s mini’s that got us hooked? Remember how we looked at the big bikes when we walked past them to go get parts? This is how to do it folks! Oh and price them at the same price as a CRF110.

38. red says:

how big is the intersection of “want an electric Harley” and “have 30k very disposable $”.

I can’t imagine that’s very big group. Maybe that’s why the high price.. there’s only a hundred or so potential buyers

I bet it’s bigger than you think. People said similar things about Tesla, an $80k car that didn’t go as far on a charge as a BMW did on a tank of gas, yet now they sell them almost as fast as they can make them.

This won’t be the same largely because it’s a motorcycle and by the numbers, no full size motorcycle sells in big numbers as seen in the automotive world. But it doesn’t have to, all it needs to do is capture the imagination of some wealthy .com guys who have the kind of money to buy this for a toy.

Forget it’s electric for a second and just look at it, and consider who made it. When was the last time HD did something so far outside of their normal market? This is a brand builder and it will be a success if it convinces people that Harley really can do things other than cruisers.

• Rimfire Hunt says:

I am not convinced to buy stock in HD. The Tesla crowd is much different. Environmental conscious professionals who are buying Telsa’s for their primary transportation vs. someone buying an electric HD motorcycle. Hmm apples and oranges Dave. Glad I don’t have HD stock anymore.

I’m not rushing to buy their stock either, but I bet some of these wind up in the same garages as Teslas.

• mxman420 says:

Last time was the XG Streets, and look how thy’re selling. Before that it was the Buell and they killed that. Next….

People said $80K Tesla’s would be a tough sale against $80K ICE cars. How would an $80K Tesla have sold against an electric car that offered the same (or better) range, performance, and gadgetry for $45K?

That’s the scenario we have here. Harley obviously expects to succeed at being the luxury brand among electric bikes. They managed to do it with cruisers. Maybe they’ll succeed here. I’m betting against them in this one, but I wish the best for them.

“How would an $80K Tesla have sold against an electric car that offered the same (or better) range, performance, and gadgetry for $45K? ”

They are selling very well. They haven’t yet delivered the “cheap” model 3 so those are averaging $55k+, selling against premium sedans that cost much less. They are selling as fast as they can make them, and used ones sell for almost as much new (no more tax incentive), if you can find them.

Dave, I think you are missing my point… This isn’t about gas vs. electrons. I am not debating the merits or success of Tesla or of electric cars in general. What I am saying is that an analogy to Tesla does not apply here.

The question isn’t how they sell vs comparable sedans. It is how they might sell vs. nearly identical hypothetical ELECTRIC sedans that cost 40% less.

Because that is what Harley is trying to do. They have produced an electric bike – with no differentiating qualities other than brand name (and intentionally making it sound like a electric drill) – to compete with otherwise same spec electric bikes that cost significantly less. They are betting a lot on the weight of that brand name.

• Rimfire Hunt says:

You nailed it red. I can’t see a market that can sustain HD. EBR went out of business with a great product but the price was just too high compared to the competition.

39. Neal says:

Harley motorcycles are luxury goods these days, like expensive watches. Tesla has successfully made electric vehicles into status symbols and I gotta applaud Harley for being bang on trend here. Further, Harley did a absolutely fantastic job of making an electric Harley: the classic tank shape is there, the bikini fairing evokes the batwing, and they chose a less efficient drive train design in order to produce a cool sound.

I’m a Seiko guy and ride a Kawasaki, I’d never buy this, but I gotta respect HD’s designers and planners for getting this done and putting it out.

40. ATBScott says:

While I am not a particular fan of HD, they have had a couple of rather nice bikes for a cruiser line – the Road King comes to mind particularly. This semi-Steampunk styling I find almost comical. I am sure there are some out there with the wallet/credit line that will buy it and ride it, and I hope it’s a good bike and they enjoy it – but I find it just looking like another fugly, heavy, low-performance piece that has been being pumped out for decades. Meh.

41. Wally World says:

29K???? No thanks.

42. No thanks, 29K is way too much!

43. Maya says:

HD, just file for chapter 11 now, we all know that’s where your going.

44. Curly says:

Double the range and half the price and it might be a success. As it stands it will fail.

45. Grover says:

Yep, they’ll be lining up at the dealership to put down 30K for this. NOT.

46. mickey says:

I liked the original concept for the live wire better, and I agree $30 large is going to be a very hard sell. I would think it would be a hard sell at $18K.

and the two new concepts? bwahaahaahaaa especially the Briggs and Stratton mini bike copy on the right. Good grief.

• Provologna says:

There are potential H-D clients for whom $30k is no big deal. Pull out the plastic, move some funds from a capital gains account to cover it, done. This describes one of my all time favorite clients.

While the larger ratio of the public is just staying afloat in this “booming” economy, a smaller ratio like Mitt Romney only see their net worth grow and grow. Over time, luxury OEMs like H-D tend to target the smaller ratio, who are more immune to blips in the economy and have no mental or financial block to spending large sums on disposable goods like this lovely new H-D.

• mickey says:

” Pull out the plastic, move some funds from a capital gains account to cover it, done. This describes one of my all time favorite clients.”

Hey maybe he will be the one guy who will buy one of these. Is his name Leno?

• mickey says:

Had to laugh as I pictured Mitt Romney riding a Live Wire with a black pudding bowl helmet. Maybe he’ll get a Harley tattoo with a lightning bolt going thru it as well.

I’m guessing the typical Harley client to whom $30K is nothing is not the same client in the market for electric bikes. But I’m sure Harley knows more about that than I do, so I’m likely wrong.

But you make a good point. There is no underestimating the power of successfully positioning something as a luxury good. Tesla’s and iPhones are market leaders for this very reason. Maybe Harley is making the right move after all.

47. mxman420 says:

Or could just get a Zero SR w/Power Tank for $16,890 and get 223 miles, a bet it’s faster as well.
    Oh Victory, I mean Indian, what are you doing with the Empluse? Probably the best electric bike out there.

48. Warner says:

I don’t believe there will be many buyers in the US, 30k is just too expensive. You can buy a Zero with higher performance for half the price.

• Bob K says:

The ones they sell will be forced onto the dealerships initially for the first few years. Some will sell, others will languish on the floor for 4 or 5 years like the Buells did that the sales people refused to give their attention to.

The problem with an e-bike though is that it becomes obsolete after a year. At least with the Buells, being an ICE, is that it was no more obsolete after a year than any other HD product. Some that were 5 years old did sell eventually.

A brand new 5 year old Live Wire likely will not sell unless HD will make the latest batteries retrofittable and offer software updates so that range, power and other features can be improved. If the batteries are redesigned but not the same form and fit, the Live Wire will be a dealership paperweight for eternity.

49. Uffe says:

“Defined the motorcycle industry for the past 116 years”. Suuuure! They may have helped define it in the pre-war era. Since then they have only defined the wannabe bad-boy image, and the associated apparel business.

Kudos to them for finally deciding to look towards the future though.

50. Michael Haz says:

Now that’s interesting. Kudos to the MoCo for bringing an electric motorcycle to the US market before any of the major Asian or European manufacturers.

Expensive? Yes indeed. Will there be buyers? Also yes indeed. And it’s likely some (or most) buyers won’t be the typical Harley purchasers, and that may be a good thing for the MoCo as it works to extend its base.

Now watch this and other threads for the usual naysayers carping about Harley this and Harley that, and yadda yadda yadda. They want something new! and different! but when the MoCo does that, they exclaim that it will be the end of the world as we know it.

• Provologna says:

Nailed it, especially the last paragraph!

There’s a small ratio of the public who won’t choke at all at the price. And they’re happy to buy an American label bike from an iconic company, not so much something from a company called “ZERO.”

• mxman420 says:

I hope you guys are right.
      But if you go back and look at all the pro and con “discussions” of the Street series, this is almost an identical conversation just minus the price.
      And let’s face it, the days of buying an American bike are really over. I just unpacked a parts order and out of the 8 Harley parts, 4 were made in China, 2 made in India, 1 in Mexico and only 1 in the US. The ones who still think they are buying American are the aging riders that this bike is NOT being built for or marketed to.

• austin zzr 1200 says:

I remember the when the first MS surface came out and it was a brick. Now, a couple of iterations in, it is a market leader. If HD can improve the product fast enough, it could have a winner.

• Rimfire Hunt says:

So these folks are going to pay more than folks paid for a V-Rod? Don’t think so.