Husqvarna Announces U. S. Availability of Svartpilen 701 (with video)

The more upright, dirt track-inspired Svartpilen 701, sibling to the Vitpilen 701 we tested and loved, is officially heading to U.S. dealerships next month.

The Svartpilen 701 shares the same 693cc single-cylinder engine with the Vitpilen – making a claimed 75 horsepower and 53 foot/pounds of torque. Pricing has not been announced, but we expect it to be in the neighborhood of $12,000 – similar to the Vitpilen 701 pricing. Here is the announcement from Husqvarna:

Husqvarna Motorcycles takes a further step towards fulfilling their progressive vision of street motorcycling by announcing the release of the SVARTPILEN 701. This thrilling new model, which was first introduced during the 2018 EICMA International Motorcycle show in Milan, will be available to the North American market starting April of 2019.

A flat-track inspired street explorer, the SVARTPILEN 701 is the latest addition to the pioneering VITPILEN and SVARTPILEN motorcycle range. With the SVARTPILEN 701 offering an exciting riding experience both within the city and beyond, Husqvarna Motorcycles is poised to make this inspiring new model the highlight among the brand’s 2019 ‘Real Street’ model line-up.

The SVARTPILEN 701 – Black Arrow, in Swedish – is designed to appeal to style-conscious motorcycle enthusiasts while offering outstanding performance in all riding conditions. Featuring a sleek, flat-track inspired design, the SVARTPILEN 701 is built around a powerful single-cylinder engine that offers outstanding power and torque. With the SVARTPILEN 701 providing fully-adjustable WP suspension, exceptional stopping power is guaranteed thanks to the combination of Brembo brakes and the latest Bosch ABS technology.

SVARTIPILEN 701 HIGHLIGHTS

• Simple yet progressive design
  • The most advanced single cylinder engine on the market (692.7 cc)
  • High quality components & technology as standard
  • Up/down Easy Shift
  • Ride-by-wire throttle
  • Traction control
  • Cutting edge Bosch ABS & Brembo brakes
  • Fully-adjustable WP suspension
  • Slipper clutch
  • Premium LED lights

SVARTPILEN 701 riders have the opportunity to personalize their motorcycle with a dedicated additional range of original parts. Husqvarna Motorcycles also offer an extensive line-up of riding gear and accessories, designed to suit the style and needs of modern-day motorcyclists.

For further details on pricing and availability of the SVARTPILEN 701, contact your local dealership.

See more of MD’s great photography: Instagram

1. George Krpan says:

Love it, my most desired bike. It’s fast and weighs 326 lbs dry. I was shopping the Svartpilen 401 but bought a Honda CB300R instead. The Honda just looked so much better in the flesh. But, when I trade up, it will be a Svartpilen 701. I don’t find the looks odd at all, I think it’s avant-garde. I think the latest bikes of today are the best looking ever. The designers are finally shrugging off the past and moving forward.

2. Ralph W. says:

It is very disappointing that we can’t have rational discussions about motorcycles on websites like this without there always being at least one simple-minded idiot who disrupts things by using childish derogatory ‘put-downs’ because they are too simple minded to say anything worthwhile.

Mr Simple Minded, you need to learn two things,-
    1)Have respect for the opinions of other people. If you don’t agree with them, say something rational and useful instead of childish and stupid.
    2)If you use childish derogatory ‘put-downs’ against other people they will use them against you, and obviously you don’t cope with that very well.

3. Hart says:

I had to stop by the local scrap metal depot today for a drop. When I gazed into the bin I immediately recalled seeing this bike’s pictures. Really a shame if the bike is as good as they say, a bit of love from the design department would have gone far toward justifying 12k for this thing. The next rendition, if there is one, should be better I would imagine.

4. Doogan says:

I can see a close similarity to the Royal Enfield Himalayan, but the Himmee actually appeals to me for some reason, not that much, mind you.

5. Tank says:

This bike reminds me of the B-King, a good bike that didn’t sell because it was ugly.

6. RD350 says:

Husqvarna bravely tried to cater to the custom hipster crowd here. There is an interest and a demand for this aesthetic today, especially by young people. They should be commended for the effort, even if it doesn’t meet your conservative tastes. This negative group think “piling on” seems a bit over-the-top to me. There have been endless ugly bikes out of the Japanese origami transformer factory that were much worse than this bike. Yet, none of those have received this level of vitriol. Yeah .. I like classic bikes too. I actually own and ride an SRX-6 currently. Yes, I would prefer a more classically styled dirt track seat rather than this chopped off bobtail. But other than that, I don’t get the outrage. I’d rather have this high spec, light weight single than any bloated 4 cylinder out there today no matter what it looks like. Think for yourselves sheeple.

• Anonymous says:

RD350…. good for you. Now, go buy your copy. Husky will need it.

• Jay Jonas says:

I’d have to put a paper bag over it before riding it, so I’ll be a sheeple and pass.

• Ralph W. says:

“There is an interest and a demand for this aesthetic today, especially by young people.”

Interesting point, RD350. We often hear complaints that young people aren’t taking up motorcycling, on this site and elsewhere. Each generation likes to ‘carve their own path’ and create their own style – just look at the changes in music over the generations. Husqvarna could be on the right track, even if the conservatives don’t like it. I don’t expect this bike to sell in big numbers but those who buy it will have a lot of fun, and if they ride it hard they will become far better riders than those who only ride fat heavy bikes. I’m happy with this bike’s looks, and I love its capabilities because I know how much fun it is pushing the limits on a light agile bike. Don’t forget, Marquez rides a light agile bike.

• yoda says:

I know the wet weight of the bike is supposed to be under 400lbs, but I would still have some difficulty pushing it out of my garage simply because I would always want to drop it.

7. Dan says:

I saw a Vitpilen on the road last week and it didn’t look nearly as ugly in real life as it does in the pics. I suspect the same will be true for this model

8. paul says:

I would seriously give this bike a chance if it was the only bike in the world, but it isn’t.

• Anonymous says:

LOL! Superb, sir!

Alas, I liken it to being on a deserted planet with one of the female Karbdashians. Looks like the human race is done for cuz I don’t do STOOOPID FUGLY.

9. Anonymous says:

that last response was to Ralph W.

man this site is really messed up now, you can’t even reply to someone directly

• Anonymous says:

It seems to be fixed now. It looks like I’m replying to myself…

This thing would be worshiped by Dung Beetles. Either that or they would be trying to roll it home like some weird meal on wheels thing.

Can you say “FUGLY”? I knew that you could. 🙂

10. Anonymous says:

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel omnipotent

11. Anonymous says:

I had an SRX600 for 5 years and toured Eastern Australia and the UK on it, replaced it with an SZR660 when the engine went terminal. The SZR was replaced with a Guzzi 750 after only 2 years…..

A “SRX like” bike with this engine and modern suspension and brakes would be a winner in my book. Nice looks with 75hp sounds great!!

12. Ralph W. says:

The photo at the top is a PR disaster. The lighting is all wrong and makes the bike look at its worst. It looks better in the photo at the bottom and I expect, like most bikes, it will look much better when you see it. I don’t understand why looks are more important than performance to so many people here. Not real motorcyclists.

• Anonymous says:

Silly boy…Everyone knows that the first thing any sentient being notices about anything is how it looks. Now for the real shock to your system.

This is why you are ALONE.

• Ralph W. says:

Hello, Mr Simple Minded is at it again. People like you can never understand anything with any depth because, well, you’re so simple minded. What it looks like is all that matters to you.

• Anonymous says:

Ralph, even Husqvarna thinks the looks are an important consideration… this was taken from their own release up above “The SVARTPILEN 701 – Black Arrow, in Swedish – is designed to appeal to style-conscious motorcycle enthusiasts”. I guess you missed that detail. Their idea of style just differs slightly from what most of us would prefer. Is that ok with you?

• Ralph W. says:

You missed the point. You often make childish derogatory responses to comments, which proves you are simple minded.

• Anonymous says:

Ralph is soooo brave. Those that first consider looks because again, like it or not (and Ralph HATES it), looks matter.

According to the Ralph, depth is too deep for such as we, i.e., the simple minded.

Deep, Ralph. Real deep. The bike is fugly and you’re a weirdo with an affinity for fugly motorcycles. BFD. Do you prefer fugly people too or when it comes to flesh and blood superficial you are as deep as the shallow end of the gene pool from which you crawled out of?

It’s a fugly motorcycle. You’ll be unique. No…not a eunuch. Unique.

IOL.

“Simple minded”. *SNICKER*

• Ralph W. says:

You’re an idiot, Mr Simple Minded, and you keep proving it. But you are so simple minded that you don’t understand how and why. My comment really upset you which shows that you are one of the people I was talking about – just a poser, not a real motorcyclist. Go away and do something else to satisfy your craving for attention. Leave motorcycles to the real motorcyclists.

• Anonymous says:

*SNICKER*

13. Anonymous says:

Talk about the motorcycling equivalent of the ENC.

The Emperor’s New Clothes.

14. Mr.Mike says:

This reminds me of when manufacturers disguise unreleased models with bad paint jobs or extra plastic to make them difficult to recognize, only they forgot to remove the extra bits.

That said I’m sure its fun to ride and with a few styling tweaks it could be a decent looking bike.

15. Anonymous says:

The Vitpilen 701 is a lot better looking.

16. Dave Sumner says:

I vote hideous. You like what you like.

17. Anonymous says:

Proof that although beauty may be skin deep, ugly goes clean to the bone.

18. Ronald says:

Fugly

19. Grover says:

I’m an old svart but I like the concept. What’s not to like in a powerful, lightweight thumper? I agree with 98% of the posters here (mostly old svarts like me) that’s it’s ugly, expensive, hard to find a dealer close by and will probably break before its first service. Still, the concept should be explored by other companies that can build an attractive, more affordable thumper with better reliability. Then we would have something we would be proud to ride.

20. gpokluda says:

You’re right. It can’t be compared to an SRX6. It is closer to a Buell Blast. Thanks for pointing that out.

21. Don says:

I really liked the look of the Vitpilen 701, but the weird squared off rear with that extra material hanging off the back of the seat really kills the flow and visual appeal of this one. I still like it from the seat forward, and I can still appreciate the styling of the Vitpilen 701. Much better than the boring styling of the CB1100. I do also think the CB1000R looks amazing.

22. paul says:

I know looks are subjective and I have really looked hard at this offering but I just can’t help but be turned off by it. Couldn’t buy this at any price, sorry.

23. Reginald Van Blunt says:

red, Jay Leno did a show about this and its smaller cousins and he was biting his tongue the whole time. His take was it is light, narrow and smooth. The side area under the tank is fully exposed with all the wiring, connectors, relays, etc. showing. Remember when a thumper was a cylinder, carb, and air cleaner under the seat/tank junction and side covers hid secret stuff ?

24. Mike says:

The more I look at it the stupider it looks. What’s with the box under the seat? If they sell one I’d be surprised.
    Please take the pictures down.

25. red says:

Going with the consensus on this one. Too weird looking and too expensive. Why not 690 Duke and keep the change. Or Enduro R. with less change.

Maybe Jay Leno will buy one since it probably will be a rare collectible in the near future.

26. RD350 says:

While the styling of this Husky is a bit too hipster for my traditional tastes, I would still buy one based solely on what it is. A light weight modern thumper with top suspension and brakes. Plus the 690 KTM engine is the most advanced single ever offered in a street bike. For tight New England back country roads and urban work this bike would be hard to beat. Lastly, I like the styling way better than the latest KTM 690 Duke or even the new 790 Duke. Its really only the rear of this SVARTPILEN that I find troubling. I’d have a classic flat track seat rather than this bob-tailed version.

27. Tank says:

Motorcycles are getting harder to sell. Why put out an ugly bike? If you think it’s good looking, look at your wife and ask yourself why nobody invited her to the prom.

28. fred says:

It seems that the “Reply” function isn’t working.

Okay, so this is a KTM 690 Duke that fell down the ugly tree and hit most of the branches on the way down. And it only costs $3k more.

Of course, IMHO the 690 Duke is no beauty either, but if you are buy the bike for the specs and not the looks, it would be an option. Husky is positioning these as bikes for the avant-garde, and is counting on the brilliant few to pay extra for styling that the hoi polloi could never hope to understand.

29. fred says:

I don’t think that it is a question of visual acuity, but merely a matter of taste. I’m glad you like it, and hope you enjoy yours. I find it quite unattractive, at least in pictures. Fortunately, for people like you and me, there are plenty of options.

My suggestion would be to get one fairly soon, as it would surprise me if the styling caught on enough to sell in large numbers.

30. kjazz says:

I don’t find it attractive, but others probably will. But I don’t get why they didn’t connect to some traditional Husky styling cues. This is really a weird looking motorcycle with nothing that says “Husqvarna” that I can see. Oh well, thumpers are fun and this will probably be a good one. And after all, if you’re sitting on it…. you don’t have to look at it !!!!

31. SVGeezer says:

For this kind of bike, is being “ugly as f**k” a bug or a feature?

I’m interested in the very effective counterbalancing that makes a single smooth like a twin at high engine speeds. Would like to see that taken up by the Japenese brands if true.

• Jeremy says:

“I’m interested in the very effective counterbalancing that makes a single smooth like a twin at high engine speeds.”

The vast majority of twins require lots of counterbalancing to be smooth. And some still don’t really get there. I have a Husqvarna TR650 Terra that used a derivative of the old Rotax 650 single architecture used in the BMW G650. That bike is smoother than most twins I’ve ridden in recent memory.

32. takehikes says:

Looks like it would be fun, thumpers are a blast. But its ugly as f**k.

33. andy1300 says:

It should be a blast, a lot lot my 660 Rapter.

34. Ken says:

Agreed. Just a bunch of conservative old farts on this site, don’t listen to them. Whilst they’re arguing about tank seams and mudguards the world just keeps moving on without them, which is probably a good thing I reckon. I’ll bet that thing is a complete blast to ride.

35. Lynchenstein says:

I’m glad you like it, really. I think it’s hideous from most angles, but if it is fun to ride, you won’t hear everyone else laughing at you because you’ll be having too much fun!

36. ilikefood says:

Whaaa….? There are people who think this bike looks bad? You guys all need to get your eyes checked. Or at least consider expanding your horizons to more than cookie-cutter, same-old, just barely incrementally different designs. It’s all a matter of taste I suppose, but to my eyes the Svartpilen looks innovative and awesome. This is the best looking production bike since the original MV Agusta F4.

37. downgoesfraser says:

This bike is in no way comparable to a SRX600 with at least twice the horsepower and better suspenders. I rode a SRX 50,000 miles, it was fun for about an hour at a time, seized it twice, both times on 40 degree days, must have been a bit on the lean side. Later a pipe and rejet with K&N in attempt for power and after that, cam and springs, which it ate, twice. Luckily had a 550 GPZ at the same time for longer rides and periods of down time. They both were replaced by an’08 250 Ninja that went 50,000 miles without changing a valve shim, but did have to replace worn out brake disc at 30K and cam chain just before I traded it for paint work on an old Duc.