KTM Refines 1290 Super Duke GT for 2022

When MD tested the redesigned 2019 KTM Super Duke GT, we called it “one of the best motorcycles MD had ever tested.” To this day, we stand by that statement, and were very interested to see further refinements by KTM to the 2022 model.

All the details are in the following press release. Highlights include new EURO 5 compliant 1,301cc v-twin engine (still making a claimed 175 horsepower), larger TFT display and lighter wheels that save over 2 pounds of unsprung weight.

Take a look at the following press release by KTM, followed by a video:

In a segment that necessitates comfort and the ability to cover ground effortlessly, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT rewrites the rulebook. Designed to offer riders a unique Grand Touring experience but engineered to be a true Sports bike underneath the touring parts, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT covers ground unlike any Sports Tourer on the market.

Thanks to its EURO 5 rated, 175 HP, 141 Nm KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R-derived, 1,301 cc V-twin engine, this is the class leader when it comes to punching a hole in the atmosphere or hauling in the horizon. But it’s not only forward momentum where the long-distance BEAST is true to its namesake.

The WP APEX semi-active suspension on the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT works with a specific logic. The design approach to preload adjustability of the rear shock has been geared for the long-distance tourer and is very intuitive. The logic allows riders to set the suspension up according to four different real-life riding situations, namely: RIDER, RIDER & PILLION, RIDER & LUGGAGE, or RIDER, PILLION & LUGGAGE. On top of that, the anti-dive function is fitted as standard.

A new 7 inch-TFT display allows for quick and easy ride adjustment on the fly, thanks to a newly designed layout striking the perfect balance between information and style. The set-up is completed by the new robust switchgear that not only feels premium but also allows for intuitive interaction between the rider and the dash itself.

The wheels on the 2022 KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT have been lifted from the latest KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R. These boast a weight saving of 1 kg of unsprung mass over the old set of rims; this not only improves the overall handling but also sports a more aggressive wheel design.

These all-new lightweight wheels are wrapped in new rubber, namely Continental ContiSportAttack 4. The ContiSportAttack 4 boasts a sportier and a more stable riding experience, delivering on the demand for a sportier tire to match the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT’s versatile abilities.

The KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT will also debut an all-new navigation system called Turn-by-turn PLUS which will further enhance the touring experience. TBT+ will be available via KTM Connect. This allows navigation instructions to be projected directly on the new 7-inch TFT display, helping riders navigate more effectively. Turn-by-turn PLUS will be launched on the 2022 KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT, with roll-outs to other models in the near future.

Powered by SYGIC®, TBT+ can also operate offline, allowing riders to plan their journey and adventure from remote locations, with the NAVIGATION feature using industry-standard mapping to guide riders to their destination of choice. There’s also an advanced search feature, and a diverse range of POIs including gas stations, restaurants, rest stops, while the system lets you select one of your pre-saved destinations directly from the TFT dash. All the above features can be accessed directly from the new 7-inch TFT dash, while the rider no longer needs to remove their phone from the jacket pocket, making it more convenient and efficient for those quick on-the-fly changes.

The new system also allows for waypoints to be skipped without prompting a turnaround. The system will merely recalculate and find the next available route to get you back on track. Also, the last 10 destinations searched are automatically saved and available directly on the dashboard.

2022 KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT – HIGHLIGHTS
// Updated, EURO 5 LC8 V-twin
// 23 liter tank
// Lightweight wheels saving nearly 1 kg of unsprung mass
// All-new 7” TFT dashboard
// Turn-by-turn PLUS Navigation (TBT+)
// New handlebar switches
// Continental ContiSportAttack 4
// Optional PERFORMANCE MODE
// Optional TECH PACK
// Exclusive KTM SUPER DUKE GT specific CTG

A full range of specially created KTM PowerParts has been developed to personalize and further intensify your ride. A dedicated range of KTM PowerWear ensures riders are kitted out to tackle whatever their journey might throw at them.

The 2022 KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT will arrive at authorized KTM dealer floors from January 2022 onwards. For more information, visit ktm.com.

1. Jeremy says:

Unlike many who frequent these comments, I tend to really like KTM’s design language. However, I can’t come to grips with this one. Maybe it looks better in person.

• Motoman says:

Think I may have mentioned it before but most KTMs do look better in person to me. I sold them for a short period of time and found that to be the case. Everybody’s taste differs though.

2. ilikefood says:

Super goofy looking (and I actually like KTM’s other edgy designs) and tiny suspension travel, which makes no sense on real-world roads. What I’d love is a 1290 Adventure with 17” wheels instead of this. Road bikes need at least 8” of suspension travel to be usable on American 3rd-world-infrastructure roads.

• Stuki Moi says:

The pitchiness, and suboptimal aero, of bikes with 8 inches of travel, render engines this powerful completely pointless. The SD, GT or not, has fantastically compliant street suspension for a bike this fast. It’s as if the bike was set up for the IOM TT, rather than the more smooth-track tuned suspension common on bikes this fast.

3. TP says:

It’s a burly beast but I’m not interested. Can’t anybody make a beautiful bike except Guzzi with the new V100?

4. VLJ says:

Really didn’t think KTM could make the GT’s headlights any uglier, but they found a way. These are right up there with the new Suzuki GSX-S1000, the original MT-10, and the Terblanche Multistrada in the running for Homeliest Headlights of All Time.

My god. At this point, it’s like a sociological experiment. It’s almost as if they’re trying to make the ugliest thing possible, as if to test the public’s limits.

• mickey says:

Check out the headlight on the new R7 Yamaha. A half dome thing about an inch and a half or two inches across. Really strange looking.

• VLJ says:

The R7 headlight is more odd than ugly. It mainly just looks strange. Unfinished. Too small.

Check out the new Suzuki GSX-S1000, the naked one, not the full-fairing GT. Those are some seriously homely headlights.

Still, these new headlights on this Super Duke GT may be even worse. That rounded bump they added this year combines with the stupid, pointy leading edges of the fairing to give the front end the appearance of a bloated turkey vulture with Down’s Syndrome.

Specifically, the direct profile and front three-quarter views have to be the worst in all of motorcycling. This thing absolutely sets the new benchmark in horribly disfigured front-end design.

5. Skybullet says:

I bought the first 2016 SDGT available. It has been the most reliable bike I have owned in many years. A recall for a replacement fuel line that took 15 minutes, a redesigned kick stand and standard bags that leaked but were replaced with a new design. I am itching for a new bike, maybe the Multistrada V2 if I like it (available in 30 to 60 days) or wait for something better than my SDGT that has been the best bike I have ever owned. The only thing I don’t like about this KTM is the even uglier bug headlight.

6. Tom R says:

Will KTM soon mimic Ducati and go to a V4?

7. RyYYZ says:

Some may find this attractive. I’m not one of them. The beak is unnecessary and looks stupid from the side. The extremely pointy lower part of the fairing does nothing for me, either.

8. RonH says:

I say this every time I watch these promotion videos… The video is crap.

Why can’t they create a walkaround video without music, in proper lighting and highlight the features and sounds of the bike? WHY???

If they’re proud of it, do a proper presentation! Look at the money they’d save not making these crap videos.

• todder says:

They did the same thing with the Norden. Spent lots of money promoting an adventure, while the Tuareg came out right away with test ride and videos specific to features.

9. Anonymous says:

This is a very mild makeover compared to the dramatic changes from the first generation KTM Super Duke GT (2016-2018) to the second generation (2019-2021). KTMs depreciate rapidly (I’ve owned both generation GTs), so smart shoppers will focus on picking up a used or dealer leftover 2019-2021 generation GT, which is much more refined vs the 2016-2018 version. Yes, as Dirck states, this is an incredible machine. But….there is one other big concern: unreliability. KTM lacks the reliability of competitors. In the 5 years I’ve owned both generation KTM Super Duke GTs, they’ve been in the shop more times than my other seven motorcycles combined. This will be my last KTM due to lack of reliability.

• viktor92 says:

Please tell me what were the biggest issues with the bike.

• Anonymous says:

Biggest Issues:

1: On four separate occasions, the red engine warning light appeared. Four separate trips to the dealer later, KTM HQ supplied the dealer with a software update to fix it. Sixty mile round trip per occasion.

2: One of the hard cases stopped opening. The case was sent to KTM HQ for repairs.

3: The TFT dash on several occasions went completely dark while riding the bike. Shutting off the engine and restarting the bike made no improvement. I had to immediately ride the bike home with zero dash feedback (speed, RPM, gear, fuel indicator, etc, etc.). Riding the bike with a non-working dash felt very unsafe. Calls to KTM Customer Service provided no resolution. The TFT dash would start working again a day or two later. This is still unresolved, and I am concerned about it happening again.

4: On two occasions, the engine stopped running while riding the bike at speed on an open highway. Never in my 50 years of riding motorcycles (started riding at age 8) have I ever experienced a motorcycle shutting itself off while riding it. It’s happened twice with my current SDGT. And no, the kill switch was not accidently activated…that was the first thing I checked. On the first occasion, the bike would not restart, and I had to have it towed. On the second occasion, the bike restarted after 5 attempts, while I sat on the side of a major highway. The gas tank was at least half full on both occasions. Calls to KTM Customer Service produced no resolutions, or even any concern for rider safety. My dealer could find no electronic codes to assist in resolving the issue. This issue is also still unresolved.

• todd says:

Meanwhile, my 2018 Duke 690 has been flawless – well, ok, there was a gas leak from the top of the tank that I fixed with a $10 gasket.

• viktor92 says:

Wow, maybe you had bad luck, but I think this is more than that. I really like european bikes, but none gives me the peace of mind like the japanese ones.

• Anonymous says:

Agreed….my 1993 Kawasaki ZX11 has never let me down. Nothing but routine fluid changes and new tires. Same with my 2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R. Peace of mind is priceless.

10. ABQ says:

The only thing better than the KTM 890 is this. With the right size for a gas tank. At least for my humble dreams. I just wish that my inseam were longer. Too bad the engine doesn’t come in a lowly cruiser.

• Stuki Moi says:

Although the KTM faithful will no doubt disagree, the engine belongs in a cruiser. It’s visceral at lower revs. Could be really nice, if KTM equipped it with a flywheel. At higher revs, it’s just a droning bore, albeit a really powerful one. Given a flywheel and tuned for 130hp, I bet it would be amazing in a montainteuton version of a Diavel.

11. mark says:

I want this bike. But it’s not being imported to the US for ’22. Maybe ’23.

In the meantime, I’m poking around looking for a leftover ’20 since this refresh really isn’t too radical. So far, only one has popped up in my search. Just waiting for a quote now.

12. mickey says: