If you weren’t expecting a new, water-cooled GS boxer from BMW, you haven’t been paying attention. After all the spy photos and speculation, BMW finally unveiled the 2013 R 1200 GS today with the same displacement (1170 cc), water cooling and an additional 15 horsepower (now 125 bhp).
A water-cooled engine typically weighs more than an air-cooled engine, and the big GS has gained roughly 20 pounds.
All the latest electronic aides are available, including semi-active suspension, ABS, switchable riding modes and ride-by-wire throttle with cruise control.
Take a look at the details below, and, for those of you who can’t get enough details, here is a link to a pdf with all of the media information: 2013 BMW R 1200 GS.
- Completely newly designed engine for top-level riding dynamics within the travel enduro segment.
- Capacity 1170 cc, rated output 92 kW (125 bhp) at 7700 rpm and a maximum torque of 125 Nm at 6500 rpm.
- Cylinder heads with vertical through-flow for increased efficiency and performance.
- Compact air/water cooling for optimum heat management.
- Basic engine with compact, light and yet rigidity-optimised crankshaft.
- Vertically separated case in open deck construction.
- 6-speed gearbox integrated in engine housing, including wet clutch with anti-hopping function and reduced lever operation force.
- New intake system for optimum output and torque with 52 mm throttle valve diameter.
- E-gas for improved ridability, running smoothness and special functions.
- Innovative exhaust gas system with electronically controlled exhaust flap for optimum performance characteristics and an earthy boxer sound.
- Freely selectable riding modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” with three different electromotive throttle actuator settings in conjunction with ASC (Automatic Stability Control), ABS and ASC settings for off-road riding as well as different mode-specific Dynamic ESA settings (option ex works).
- New suspension with torsionally stiff tubular steel bridge frame and bolt-on rear frame.
- Optimised lightweight cardan shaft drive now running on the left-hand side.
- Newly developed and optimised Telelever at front and EVO Paralever at rear for an even more precise ride feel.
- Refined master chassis geometry data and long swingarm for excellent traction.
- Optimised seating width and position, and adjustable handlebars for even greater comfort.
- Optimised ground reach for rider (inner leg length).
- Tyre/wheel dimensions of 120/70 R19 at front and 170/60 R17 at rear as a world first, tailored specially to the R 1200 GS.
- Revised BMW Motorrad brake system with radially mounted Brembo Monobloc brake calipers at front and 2-piston floating caliper with enlarged brake disc at rear (Ø 276mm, previously 265mm).
- BMW Motorrad Integral ABS as standard.
- Semiactive suspension Dynamic ESA (ex works option).
- Main headlight with optimised light efficiency and LED daytime running light (ex works option).
- World’s first motorcycle with LED main headlight featuring integrated daytime running light (ex works option).
- New vehicle electrical system with partitioning of functions.
- Extended electric switch units.
- Electronic cruise control (ex works option).
- Preparation for navigation unit with Multi-Controller to operate the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV (ex works option).
- Windshield with one-hand operation for excellent wind and weather protection.
- Seat with multiple adjustment functions for perfect ergonomics.
- Number plate carriers quick to dismount for off-road riding.
- Increased ground clearance (+ 8 mm).
- New instrument cluster with on-board computer as standard. PRO on-board computer as an option.
- Four main paint finishes to choose from: Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire and Thunder Grey Metallic.
All-new BMW R 1200 GS unveiled by BMW Motorrad.
The new GS features the next-generation BMW Boxer-twin engine, cutting-edge dynamic technology and improved all-round ability.
BMW Motorrad’s highly-anticipated 2013 model R 1200 GS has made its international debut at the Intermot motorcycle show in Cologne, Germany. The world’s first – and most successful – adventure motorcycle has evolved once again, powered by the next-generation 125bhp BMW boxer-twin engine.
The iconic R 1200 GS also features the very latest technology and innovations from BMW Motorrad, including semi-active enduro suspension, dynamic traction control and five intuitive riding modes. These allow the rider to choose the perfect bike set-up, altering engine mapping, suspension and traction control at the press of a button.
The new R 1200 GS is more powerful, offers improved fuel economy, has better all-round ability and is the most advanced GS ever, offering riders an adventure motorcycle which is a more dynamic and exciting road bike, a more comfortable tourer and a more effective off-road machine.
With over 170,000 models sold around the world (not including the Adventure variant), the R 1200 GS has become the ultimate benchmark to which all other adventure motorcycles are compared. The next chapter in the R 1200 GS legend has raised the bar for performance, innovation and comfort even higher, while staying true to the original GS spirit which been winning over riders since the very first R 80 G/S in 1980.
The BMW R 1200 GS will also be available in a UK-exclusive high specification special-edition, the R 1200 GS TE ‘touring edition’, featuring a range of experience and comfort enhancing factory fit options and accessories as standard. Pricing TBC.