Ducati Scrambler Ready for Anything

2015-Ducati-Scrambler-Icon-top-i

The Ducati Scrambler is finally here with its 803 cc, air-cooled, 75 hp twin pulling the lightweight (375 pounds dry; 410 pounds wet) machine in four available versions, including the Classic, the Icon, the Full Throttle and the Urban Enduro. U.S. pricing starts at just $8,495 for the Icon Red. Here are all the details in a press release from Ducati:

• Ducati presents the Ducati Scrambler brand in Cologne and its iconic style, modern design and creative spirit
  • Ducati, a solid, steadily growing company, looks to the future with confidence
  • Ducati celebrates a historic win in the German Superbike Championship (IDM)

Cologne (Germany), 30 September 2014 – At the end of the first day of Intermot 2014 – the International Motorcycle Fair being held in Cologne (Germany) from 30 September to 6 October –Ducati finally unveiled one of the most eagerly awaited new bikes to go on show there; the Ducati Scrambler brand immediately became the focus of media and public attention, and the undisputed star of this key German fair.

Re-proposing the yellow containers that characterised the original, highly creative launch phase, Ducati set up a Ducati Scrambler brand-dedicated space in the exhibition area of its Intermot 2014 stand. This symbolic opening-up of a “new world” at the end of the press-dedicated day involved both public and media in an original presentation that was fully in keeping with the language and style of this exciting new concept.

2015-Ducati-Scrambler-action-middle6

“This year Intermot is especially meaningful for Ducati”, stated Claudio Domenicali, CEO of Ducati Motor Holding, during the press conference. “Ducati continues to grow steadily as it has done for several years now. The last 12 months confirm this positive trend with a growth over 5% compared to the previous ones, a new sales record. I’m also particularly proud to be celebrating, here at Intermot, Ducati’s historic win in the German Superbike Championship where the performance of the 1199 Panigale R has allowed us to take both the Constructors and Riders title – thanks to the prowess of Xavi Fores and Max Neukirchner.”

“Presenting the new Ducati Scrambler brand means for us opening the doors to an entirely new, fascinating, and absolutely contemporary world”, said Cristiano Silei, Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Ducati Motor Holding, during the unveiling of the new bikes. “We have reinterpreted an iconic motorcycle, part of our history for more than 50 years, in a fully modern way, designing and building the Ducati Scrambler as if we’d never stopped making it. The four bikes of the Ducati Scrambler family represent starting points on a path to personalisation that will make every single Ducati Scrambler a unique, free-spirited bike as individual as the person riding it.”

Ducati Scrambler Icon

Ducati Scrambler Icon

The waiting is finally over. The Ducati Scrambler is finally out of the yellow container that has so jealously guarded it over the last few months and is now – after the previews granted to employees and Ducatisti at World Ducati Week 2014 – officially ready. This is more than just a new bike: it’s a whole new world, one that expresses itself via a range of options and versions that provide a starting point for satisfying the different needs and wants of individual motorcyclists.

The Ducati Scrambler is a contemporary bike that expresses the pure essence of motorcycling. Tried and tested materials such as the aluminium of the rear swingarm and engine covers and the steel of the teardrop tank and frame are combined with new-generation components such as front and rear LED lighting and LCD instruments. Wide handlebars and a long seat provide a comfortable, relaxed riding position and, together with the low weight, low centre of gravity and slightly knobby tires, ensure pure riding fun whatever the situation.

“Post-heritage” design gives a contemporary take on the iconic bike built by Ducati back in the 60s and 70s. This Ducati Scrambler, though, is no retro bike: it is, rather, intended to be just how the legendary Bologna-built motorcycle would be today if Ducati had never stopped building it.

Ducati Scrambler Classic

Ducati Scrambler Classic

The Icon version, in yellow and red, is joined by three others – Urban Enduro, Full Throttle and Classic – each offering its own style and performance-related interpretation of the Scrambler spirit. The Urban Enduro, with its “Wild Green” paintjob, is for enduro style enthusiasts and ready to switch from city streets to country backroads in an instant. The Full Throttle is for riders enthralled by the flat-track racing world who have a penchant for pushing things to the limit. And the Classic is for devotees to details and a 1970s look who want the uncompromising riding pleasure and comfort of a modern-day bike.

The headlamp, together with the tank, forms a key part of the Ducati Scrambler look. Rounded, classically designed yet extremely modern (i.e. post-heritage) it features a glass parabola and an ultra-modern LED light guide around the rim that acts as a side light.

2015-Ducati-Scrambler-Full-Throttle-middle1

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Seat and tank have been carefully designed to give the Ducati Scrambler appealing proportions. A compact bike, the Ducati Scrambler instils confidence from the very moment you set eyes on it. It’s been sized to make it accessible to all motorcyclists while the long seat maximises comfort and can also accommodate a passenger comfortably.

An oil and air-cooled L-twin two-valve 803 cc engine powers the Ducati Scrambler; it has an 88 mm bore, a 66 mm stroke and has been redesigned to give smooth acceleration throughout the rev range.

Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro

Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro

Moreover, thanks to a vast range of apparel and bike accessories, to be presented in November, the Ducati Scrambler offers a virtually unlimited range of exclusive personalisation and lifestyle options.

The Ducati Scrambler name has much in common with the verb to scramble – mixing up, blending, letting the imagination run free, sharing with others. The Ducati Scrambler is the two-wheeled alter ego of those who ride it, a cultural movement in and of itself. It’s free-spirited, positive and anti-conformist, open to encounters with other philosophies and styles. Ducati Scrambler isn’t just a bike, it’s a world.

The Ducati Scrambler will be in Ducati Dealerships starting form the end of January 2015 and the first of the four versions to become available will be the Icon.

See the technical specs on the new Scrambler here.

Ducati Scrambler Icon

Ducati Scrambler Icon

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

1. Rob says:

I like it. It’s a big hint of yesterday plus the trouble-freeness of today. I am just not sure what it is meant to be: a bike for every day? For sunny Sunday afternoons? For the long distance? I am trying to imagine how/when I’d use it and I can’t see it as a traveler’s bike – there is no way it would replace the big trailies. Not is it my everyday to-and-from-the-office commuter. So, Sunny Sundays? OK, I can live with that. I’ll have the spoked wheels one please.

2. Neil says:

Local dealer said they will see them in May. I guess that’s a good thing, meaning Ducs are selling so well that they have to make and ship a lot of em.

3. Crim says:

Hey Indian, take note of the footpeg location!

4. Mr.Mike says:

Not sure if its for me but I appreciate that Ducati managed to create a bike with unique styling without resorting to gratuitous use of plastic.

5. Mark says:

Not sure if the Icon or Urban Enduro will be in my garage, but one of them will be.

I think they look a lot better than the leaked info.

Well, kudos to Ducati for coming with something different for them. I don’t see me ever on one of these, don’t care for that short rear fender- but that’s just me. I’m sure others will love it, but no sale to me.

7. Motorico says:

Hoping for the “S” or 1100 versions with decent suspension, a non “tuned” motor and dual front brakes.

8. John says:

There are several things that MIGHT prevent me from falling prey to the $1500 extra profit margin on the Urban Enduro, which is nearly my perfect idea for a twin-engined trail bike I’ve been demanding for so long.

1. “Urban” doesn’t give me much faith, cheap add-ons aside.
    2. No Ducati dealer.
    3. Desmo.
    4. Air cooling in hot environment.

This bike from KTM or BMW or even Honda would be more irresistable. Well, scratch Honda, they’re in the heavy bike business these days. Yamaha. A Yamaha 700 twin in the bike would be perfect. TT700, anyone???

• TF says:

Curious.

Why do you have issues with Desmo…..or air cooling for that matter, on a “trail bike”?

• John says:

It’s very hot here and the rear cyIinder already is going to suffer the brunt of it. Also, for an air cooled bike, it’s still a bit heavy. Not too bad, but if it were 350lbs, then yeah, all for it. No Ducati dealer, and I don’t know how good I am yet at dealing with Desmo valves on my own. Would generally prefer a very low maintenance engine for this kind of bike. Also a bit smaller, really, like a 500-600cc max.

• mickey says:

350 pounds is a bit unrealistic don’t you think? A Yamaha WR 450 weighs almost 300 pounds with a 450 single cylinder lots of plastic skinny tires and wheels, mini lights, barely there seat, etc

It would take a miracle of engineering to get what is basically a 800 cc twin street bike that light.

• John says:

Well, that’s why I’d be willing to give up engine size. If it were a 500cc at 350lbs, I’d be whoring myself out already. And it will take a LOT of whoring at my rate.

But, of course, the KTM Freeride is a miracle of engineering at 100kg. So I hold out hope for additional miracles.

re: “It would take a miracle of engineering”

miracle of engineering meet CASH.

CASH meet miracle of engineering.

• TF says:

If you want a truly light trail bike that you can also ride around town, there are bunches of options. It would be hard to beat a KTM 500EXC if that’s what you are after.

I was asking because motorcycles were air cooled for decades before we began to accept water cooling as the norm. The only issue with the 2V Ducs is the fueling. Get the fueling right and they have no issues with running temperature.

I own a 2V (2010) and a 4V Duc (2011) and have yet to adjust a valve clearance on either one. The 2V has 10K miles and the 4V has 16K miles. Personally, I think the Desmo valve train is one of the less troublesome systems on a Duc. In reality, they just have twice as many rocker arms.

However, if you want to be concerned about reliability of Duc electroincs as well as cheap-ass fasteners……..

• jim says:

You ride a KLR don’t you.

• John says:

Hah, no, but it’s funny since my brother in law tried to rope me into buying one a couple of days ago with a used bike ambush. “Wait, this isn’t for you?!? I thought YOU were looking at it”. I much prefer the KLX, misteriously missing from this year’s lineup in both formats.

• John says:

Besides, I’m CLEARLY rationalizing at this point. If had $10k….I’d be in serious problems….

I would love a TT700 if Yamaha could kick out a design similar to this – minimalist and classic. Though I have to say I appreciate the air-cooling on a bike like this, and personally think Ducati nailed the design. But having had my affair with a couple of Italians (as well as a German and an Austrian) years ago, I would prefer to buy a Japanese bike.

• John says:

I would go for an air cooled version of the 700 twin if it saved weight. Hell, I’d go for a TT anything pretty much.

9. Stuki Moi says:

Given the hardparts, it’s nicely styled. Still don’t like the Ninja 650 style direct action shock working on a banana swingarm. And the twin looks a bit stuffed up in that tight chassis. And, legroom too tight. With a seat that is already on the thick and heavy looking side making added seat padding less immediately attractive……

It still looks good, but if a certain band of mountain men would just realize there existed a world before Redbull, a big single would be a better fit for this kind of exercise…..

10. Don says:

I like it, but does it look like the exhaust will melt a passenger’s shoes? Looks to be pointed right behind the pegs and right up at where a foot would be. Maybe it’s just the camera angle… Anyone?

• Neil says:

It has a heat shield. There are a lot of manufacturers who are tucking the pipe up like that to keep it away from the tire and also to keep the pipe itself from being longer. A thinner pipe usually has more clearance but now it has the muffler in it at that spot on the bike. It’s one of those great engineering questions, where to locate the exhaust, length and muffler placement. It’s actually very scientific as well since the EPA has to be happy and the motor has to run well. Personally, I don’t have an issue with it. I local custom muffler shop said he could work on my bikes for me.

11. Butch says:

Thanks Ducati for producing a bike that to me, really makes sense.
    No bells or whistles, air cooled fuel injected, chain drive, minimal plastic.
    I’ll take the classic.
    That S#!t scraper tag bracket is butt ugly.