Harley-Davidson Announces FXDR 114 Power Cruiser for 2019

Although not nearly as radical as its planned 2020 liquid-cooled models, Harley-Davidson announced a 2019 power cruiser model called the FXDR 114 that, according to Harley “brings a new level of all-out performance to the Harley-Davidson line-up”. Boasting 119 foot/pounds of torque at just 3,500 rpm, the big Softail also saves weight with aluminum components and improves handling with premium suspension.

Here is the full press release from Harley:

MILWAUKEE (August 21, 2018) The new Harley-Davidson® FXDR™ 114 motorcycle delivers moto-aggression with a technical edge. Like a drag racer crossed with a fighter jet, this unapologetic power cruiser brings a new level of all-out performance to the Harley-Davidson line-up. The FXDR 114 combines the unrelenting power of the Milwaukee-Eight® 114 engine with the liberal use of new weight-saving aluminum and composite components. Every aspect of handling and performance is amplified.

“This motorcycle is really a blast to ride,” said David Latz, Lead Product Manager at Harley-Davidson. “The FXDR 114 surrounds the very capable Softail® chassis with Milwaukee-Eight 114 power, premium front and rear suspension and a host of new weight-saving components and materials. This is a power cruiser that delivers exceptional ride and handling characteristics.”

Less than a month after announcing plans for future product in new-to-the-brand categories and a commitment to advance its heavyweight Touring and Cruiser models, the Motor Company introduces the FXDR 114 as the 10th Harley-Davidson model based on the Softail® platform.

Focus on Weight Reduction

The aluminum swingarm achieves a 10.2-pound weight reduction (13.8 pounds vs. 24 pounds, or 43 percent less) over a steel Softail swingarm accommodating a 240 mm rear tire. Because the unsprung weight (weight located below the suspension) it has a significant impact on rear suspension performance, enhanced further by a lightweight 18-inch-diameter aluminum disc rear wheel. The 19-inch forged aluminum Ace front wheel is a light-weight design that features very thin spokes. The FXDR 114 seat and tail section are supported by a sub-frame of welded aluminum tubing, and the tail section is composite. This replaces a steel subframe, steel rear fender and aluminum fender supports used on other Softail models, for a weight savings of about seven pounds. Front and rear fenders are lightweight composite material.

Styled at the Strip

The FXDR communicates its commitment to all-out performance through visual design inspired at the drag strip, where the application of torque to pavement is sophisticated in its execution.

“The look of the FXDR 114 expresses its performance potential and highlights the technical features that set it apart from the rest of the Softail line-up,” said Brad Richards, Vice President of Styling and Design. “The drag-bike influence is strong with the raked and inverted front end, massive intake and exhaust, proportional contrast between the wheels, and the clipped tail section. But we made sure that purely technical elements like the aluminum swingarm, fully integrated digital instrumentation within the rider controls, and exposed external suspension adjuster are highlighted as well and help define this bike’s mission, which is pure performance, not just straight-line performance.”

A speed screen frames the LED headlamp and helps breaks the wind, while a stretched 4.4-gallon fuel tank exclusive to the FXDR 114 lengthens the profile of the motorcycle. A race-inspired chin fairing conceals much of the oil cooler. The tail section is clipped short in drag bike/stunter style to expose the 240mm rear tire. A solo seat flows seamlessly into the tail section. A cover on the top of the tail section can be removed to reveal a storage compartment within the subframe.

A molded composite rear fender is shaped to hug the tire and moves with it through the range of the suspension, so it becomes almost invisible when the FXDR 114 is in motion. A rear lighting module and license plate fixture is secured to an aluminum spar mounted to the left side of the swingarm, leaving the right side of the rear wheel dramatically exposed. The front and rear wheel are finished in contrast Gloss Black and Satin Black paint and detailed with bright “bolt heads” and laser-etched orange graphics in the rims.

Dynamic Chassis

A strong-and-rigid Softail chassis tuned to deliver responsive handling will reward assertive riders with thrilling agility when riding through twisting backroads and navigating congested urban traffic. The FXDR 114 features the Softail monoshock rear suspension with a single coil-over shock with internal free-piston technology and optimized angle between the frame and swingarm for enhanced travel and response. The shock is equipped with an external hydraulic pre-load adjustment knob to allow the rider to quickly and easily dial in optimal suspension performance for the prevailing load and conditions. Inverted 43mm forks stiffen the front end for improved response to steering input. Single-cartridge internal fork damping technology and a triple-rate spring respond quickly to inputs to help keep the front wheel planted for improved braking and handling performance. The FXDR 114 offers more lean angle than any other Softail model – 32.6 degrees to the left and 32.8 degrees to the right.

The dual 300mm front disc brakes provide strong braking performance with less lever effort. A confidence-inspiring Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) is standard equipment on the FXDR 114. High-performance Michelin® Scorcher® 11 front (120mm) and rear (240mm) tires contribute to optimized handling and braking performance. Secured by the deep solo seat, the rider grips aluminum clip-on handlebars in an athletic position over the tank. Information is presented by a compact digital display located within the speed screen.

Milwaukee-Eight Muscle

The FXDR 114 is equipped with the most-powerful engine offered in the Softail chassis, a Milwaukee-Eight 114 V-Twin tuned to pound out up to 119 ft. lb. of torque at 3500 rpm (U.S. model). The shape of the forward-facing air intake is inspired by the World Champion Screamin’ Eagle/Vance & Hines drag bikes and designed to enhance the airflow into the engine. The exposed air filter utilizes a new synthetic media that does not require oiling. A new 2-into-1 exhaust is tuned to emit a throaty rumble and shaped to maximize lean angle. Advanced four-valve cylinder head design, dual knock sensors, and precision oil cooling permit a 10.0:1 compression ratio for strong torque output – and thrilling acceleration – from off-idle to wide-open throttle. The engine is rigid-mounted to further stiffen a Softail chassis engineered to deliver precise response to steering and braking input. Dual counter-balancers cancel primary vibration at idle for improved rider comfort.

Riders craving even more power can upgrade the FXDR 114 with street-legal performance parts from Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories, including a Screamin’ Eagle Titanium Performance slip-on muffler that weighs 50 percent less than the stock muffler and produces an appealing, aggressive tone. Installation of the muffler achieves a Screamin’ Eagle Stage I performance upgrade when combined with a Screamin’ Eagle Air Cleaner Kit and the Screamin’ Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Stage I is the foundation for available Screamin’ Eagle Stage II, Stage III and Stage IV kits that can take Milwaukee-Eight 114 performance through the roof, with the assurance of an intact factory warranty when installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer.

Complete LED lighting, including a Daymaker™ LED headlamp with LED signature halo plus LED rear lighting and LED turn signals, make the FXDR 114 more conspicuous in traffic and offer optimal lighting performance. Keyless ignition, the Harley-Davidson Smart Security System and a USB charging port are standard equipment.

The FXDR 114 is available in six color choices: Vivid Black, Black Denim, Industrial Gray Denim, Wicked Red Denim, Bonneville Salt Denim, and Rawhide Denim.

In 2019, the FXDR 114 will provide inspiration for the bodywork of the racing competition motorcycles campaigned by the world champion Harley-Davidson Screamin’ Eagle/Vance & Hines racing team in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series.

See more of MD’s great photography:

Instagram

1. chris says:

Dave, I do have an idea what great performance is! I own several sport bikes and have raced ,I rode endures for many years did moto-x and do track day’s I have been riding and competing for 47 years although I admit performance means different things to different people, go ride one of the new Harley’s you might be pleasantly surprised.

2. Track Junky says:

Why is anyone comparing this bike to a sport/sport touring bike? Not even in the same world. Compare it to similar bikes and the lean angle/performance are pretty decent. I never owned a Harley (or any cruiser) but that doesn’t prevent me from being open-minded. I like it and I hope this bike sells very well.

3. chris says:

I love all the haters and very immature comment’s based on zero knowledge this is a very good motorcycle I rode one twice at Harley ‘s 115th anniversary party in Wisconsin GREAT performance.

It is more likely that many on this board have a different idea of what “GREAT performance” is, and with only a little bit of knowledge (long wheelbase, slack head angle, heavy weight, feet-forward riding position) they can see that it is impossible for this motorcycle to deliver what they would define as great performance.

4. Michael Haz says:

Wow, the whining about this motorcycle.

I attended the HD 115th Anniversary events in Milwaukee this weekend. There were HD demo trucks at multiple locations throughout the Milwaukee area. The longest waiting list was to ride this motorcycle. It is beautiful, far, far more attractive in person than in the photos here.

People coming off of it after their demo rides were uniformly happy – some far beyond happy – with the motorcycle and the riding experience.

This motorcycle will be a success for Harley Davidson.

5. Mike says:

Nothing about this bike says performance. Large rake, feet forward, high bars, 240 rear tire. How much does it weigh? And for that kind of money they have more competition than they can handle.

Any word where it will be built?

6. jimjim says:

Damn that’s one ugly motorcycle!

7. hartri55 says:

Harley Davidson should never have dropped the VROD.

8. takehikes says:

The rear on each side is beyond awful, terrible styling if you call it that. Nice idea but wow is it ugly.
    why the hell do MC companies keep doing that weird ass hung on useless fender/license plate thing? Put a damn fender on and close up some of that yardage between it and the tire, it would be way better looking.I’ll gladly give up some performance to not look so stupid.

9. Artem says:

That stuff is selling well.
    Apart from US

10. K.L. Trout says:

There should be a thought bubble coming from the helmet on the pic of the left hander saying ” I think I’m gonna crash! “

11. bad Chad says:

The rake is close to comical. The chopped rear looks like they ran out of material to finish the build!

12. LT says:

The 114 motor is awesome with plenty of grunt and far less vibration. I like the intent to lighten the platform and make it look more drag-strip worthy, but the bike will be positioned between the Fat Bob and the Breakout. I don’t see it setting any sales records and it will likely simply cannibalize sales of existing models. Will it bring in non-HD riders into the fold? Hard to tell at that price range. I never liked the Rocker-C design which this reminds me of, so I’ll pass.

• bad Chad says:

114 CI, I guess it should pull, that’s getting close to 2000cc!!! Come on man, this is a motorcycle, not a Dodge Challenger!

13. Bud says:

Love that they went to a racetrack for their photo shoot. Did it get around as fast as a properly ridden 250 Ninja?

• todd says:

Not a chance with that lean angle, highly mis-matched tire widths, and poor steering geometry. It’s a good thing it has so much brakes, it’ll really need to slow down to go around the corners.

14. chris says:

I’m glad you agree Paquo ! (What ever I say)

15. Spike Spikerson says:

Meh.

16. ABQ says:

The LOOK of the bike would likely look better on a 750 Street. And sell better.

17. chris says:

The Harley XR 1200 and 1200X was a great bike (I own one) and it is not over rated as Selecter says ,I have ridden it over 23,000 trouble free miles including powerlines and many miles of dirt roads it is a phenomenal cornering bike it is a little heavy but I prefer it over my Ducati’s as far as all the haters on here apparently you have nothing else to keep you occupied than reading through an article about something you despise, go ride a new Harley and see for your self.

18. Randybobandy says:

Almost as good as my 1985 Vmax. Great job Hardley!

• Tony says:

Randybobandy, thanks for the input. Have you ridden the new FXDR?

Paquo, Randybobandy, etc—I don’t even own a Harley, so I’m not here to defend the FXDR or any of their bikes. My ask is simple: Can we please have constructive (positive or negative) feedback? There are a countless other forums that allow and even encourage mindless trashing/trolling. I (and I don’t think I’m alone here) come to MD to get away from all of the BS and hatred that is teeming throughout the country, and enjoy learning about new bikes/races/etc, then peruse the forums for interesting, insightful, and even sarcastic/humorous commentary. But it has to have some substance in order to provide any value.

I’m betting (and hoping) you can do better. Thanks.

• Randybobandy says:

Antonio, I’m sorry your country is teeming with hatred. I compared this new bike to a 30 year old Vmax. Both are heavy and cumbersome motorcycles. In the future I will try to live up to your standards of sarcasm/humor.
        I’m betting and hoping that in the future you will be a little less judgmental and inclusive of other peoples opinions and thoughts. Try to be more accepting of other people while you deal with your country filled with hatred, or as Paquo said, ” sure dude, whatever you say”. Or as Fonzie would say- Sit on it Tony.

19. bmbktmracer says:

I’m not a Harley guy, but this is the first Harley I’ve ever seen that I find appealing. If their goal was to broaden their market base, maybe it’ll be a success. Most of the dudes with the assless chaps and affinity for the buffet are gettin’ on in years.

20. Anonymous says:

please put a proper softail fender on this softail bike.

21. Neil says:

Rode the new 114 motor in the FatBob. Vibration at low and high revs. Just when you want more speed on the highway. the vibes start again. My hip was bothering me from sitting with my feet forward. It was ok but my one ride was enough. I liked my old VFR much better and would be fine with a REAL “sportster” chassis (which they have yet to manufacture) and the 1200 motor.

22. Anonymous says:

22K? Why?

23. ben says:

I like the direction they have gone with the styling- modern, muscular, purposeful (as opposed to the same 1948 crap they have been rehashing since 1948)

I am still waiting for a standard style Harley . The ONLY harley I would buy (and will eventually buy on the used market)s the 09-11 XR1200/XR1200X. I hate the feet frward position of cruisers and my lower back cannot tolerate if for more than a few miles. Feet forward Lazy boy bikes feel Terrible to me, are silly looking and I wont own one

Love that XR1200 though

• Selecter says:

The XR was better in concept than practice. It looked pretty cool and was fairly well-built, but it steers like a truck, and was overweight for the power. I remember after riding the XR1200X, my buddy’s Buell XB9SX immediately coming to mind. The XB was over 150 lbs. lighter, handled better, was significantly quicker, had far more cornering clearance, and was substantially more comfortable, to boot.

The XR was definitely one I count in the top-10 Most Overrated Bikes of All Time.

24. Bruce Williams says:

Harley’s new all-out performance machine. Wow, look at that lean angle?

25. Anonymous says:

No wind protection. No way to carry a passenger. No way to store a couple of important things. No good way to pay for it unless you’re rich. Hey Harley Davidson designers you should contact me so I can help you sell motorcycles in this age. Nobody who’s riding is going to buy that bike. What the heck are you all thinking at HD?

Harley already sells bikes with wind protection, cargo capacity, and passenger accommodation. This bike is for those that don’t want that. And plenty of people don’t.

26. Provologna says:

Was that 50 lb rear tire part of the diet plan? I need another piece of pie.

27. Harley does not do plastic well. Looks like a lego kit.