Honda Displaying Several Customized CB1000Rs at Wheels & Waves

CB1000R Café Chic
By: Horizon Racing Vergy 95, France

Going on in France through this Sunday is the Wheels & Waves Festival, which annually displays a number of interesting, customized motorcycles. Participating this year is Honda Motor Europe, which has on display several CB1000Rs customized by various private motorcycle houses. The purpose is to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the original CB750 Four, which was named MD’s Bike of the Century.

Some of the custom CB1000Rs are pretty cool looking. Here are some photos. You will find more details by following this link.

CB1000R Monkey 1000R
CB1000R Tribute
By: Honda Italia Industriale SpA
CB1000R Dani Pedrosa replica
By: Moto Macchion dealer, Italy

See more of MD’s great photography: Instagram

1. Tommy D says:

I own the stock 2018 black CB1000R. I fitted it with heated grips, rear cowl and blipper/q-shifter. The bike is a fun street bike that I bought because of its look. The black tuxedo paint job and subtle lines of an earlier era of motorcycling appeal to my mid 50’s age.

As a club racer I do wish that Honda didn’t restrict the power delivery in the first 3 gears. The terrible neutering of the power in 2nd and 3rd gears during roll-on from a map restriction is very noticeable. Maybe they did that to remove lurching surging throttle. Or maybe they did it to save riders from looping the thing. Whatever they did it for they really took away some of the fun a liter class bike has with power wheelies a lower rpm. (yes Torque control is shut off). To test this put the bike in 3rd and roll the throttle wide open. Then slow back down and do the same test in 4th and notice how much harder it pulls at the same speed.

While I like the design of the bike I wish I could unlock its full potential. I also love the black color the best. That and some bar end mirrors and the thing just looks proper.

2. takehikes says:

Great bike and nice renditions. However, how come Triumph can hide their radiator so well and no one else does? Come on Honda get with it.

• Anonymous says:

You only notice it because you focus on it. It is an essential component. Cooling efficiency is very important. Looks aren’t. What are you, a rider or a poser. Get over it!

3. slipjoint says:

Some beautiful motorcycles here, nice to see that it can still happen. The two monkeys, the black and the tribute all could get my money.

4. evan says:

I love the way the CB1000R looks. I want to like it enough to buy one, but there were a few things holding me back. It’s got an unusually small head bearing for a liter bike, and it only makes 120hp at the wheel. I know, it’s technically enough, but just about the entire field of competition makes more power. I’d love to see a CB1000RR with beefier head bearing, higher specification suspension, steering damper, and about 140 at the wheel. It would immediately jump to to the top of my list.

• todd says:

Of all the group rides I’ve been on with everyone riding BMW 1000s, KTM 1250s, Speed Triples, GSXRs, I’m usually at the front of the pack. I ride a 1991 BMW K75S, 58 hp at the wheel. I don’t think all that power is worth a hill of beans. Go ahead and buy something with 190 hp and get passed by someone on a SV650.

• Lawrence says:

“It ain’t what you ride, it’s how you ride.” Me.

• evan says:

Well, I’m not keeping lap times when I go for a leisure ride, and also rarely go on group rides. I am not a racer, but I do use every bit of the tire to the very edge. I’ve ridden everything in between boring Texas highway miles, to exhilarating mountain roads in Spain. I don’t care if someone could pass me riding their 1965 R60/2 while smoking a cigar.

The enjoyment I get out of riding is having a torquey engine on tap when the opportunity to crack it open arrives, and having rock solid chassis and suspension underneath it to provide a safe and confident ride. I started on a 90’s GS500 and have miles on sv650’s, sv1000’s, S1000’s, 1200GS’s, random assortment of gixxer/cbr/yammi-r’s of all flavors, and Harley’s. What I’m looking for is my business, and I’d happily ride with you, even if you feel like you have something to prove by passing me on your 58hp steed.

This begs the question, how much more would you be willing to pay for a CB1000R for those upgrades from the factory?

I wonder of Honda doesn’t deliberately steer clear of the Euro super-nakeds. Seems to be what they do with all of their sport bikes, save the CBR600RR.

• evan says:

I’d likely be amenable to paying a similar price as I would for a Fireblade. There’s nothing I hate more than buying something, and spending heaps of money to modify it to where it could be as a factory option. I’m very happy that companies are starting to see this and offering packages (ie: Speed Triple S/RS, Tuono Factory, etc.). I have no interest in Super Sport ergos any longer, but would love a “detuned” (not neutered) version of the engines in a wide bar/upright format with competent suspension. I love the CB1000 looks, but it suffers from parts-bin-itis and has substandard suspension IMHO. The head bearing is smaller than many mountain bikes these days, which to me, is just unacceptable, and speaks to the overall attention to detail when designing the chassis and suspension.

A similar thing happened with the new Goldwing, where the front suspension basically rides on the PU bump stop. Honda may have reliability in the bag, but the detail in their suspension is lacking in my humble opinion. I think suspension should be the primary design consideration when designed a motorcycle, and then everything follows from there. I was thoroughly impressed by the first R1200GS I rode in the mountains, where the chassis was not upset when I pushed it further than I thought it would care to go.

5. Tank says:

I remember walking into the Honda dealer in 1969 and seeing the CB750. I was already into motorcycles because one of my best friends’ parents had a Kawasaki-Yamaha dealership. When we saw the bike, we were blown away. We knew we were looking at something special. Truly the “Bike of the Century”.

6. Harry says:

When I am not riding I am looking at MCD. Why does MCD show as “Not Secure” on the iPhone. How can I remedy this?

• Buzz W says:

Apple is showing that on all websites that aren’t secure servers. It’s just a warning so you don’t enter any personal details. I don’t think Dirk is after your SS#.

• Mr.Mike says:

The connection is considered unsecure because it is not encrypted. A secure connection would use a secure protocol such as HTTPS which would prevent man-in-the-middle attacks and the like. MCD uses plain HTTPD. It is probably fine as long as you are just reading the kind of innocuous content that appears on this site. You would want to use HTTPS if you were sending payment or other private info to a site. See this for more info: https://www.howtogeek.com/181767/htg-explains-what-is-https-and-why-should-i-care/

7. dt-175 says:

but… “alfredo” was #8 or #19 when he rode 1025 air-cooled…

8. OldSchool says:

I just can’t get past that honkin’ ass big radiator.
    Getting old, I guess.

• ApriliaRST says:

We’re all getting old, but jeez radiators have been around for over a hundred years. EVERY motorcycle has a radiator, whether fins or one that flows coolant. I think even electric bikes have then in one form or another.

9. Crazyjoe says:

It would be very nice if the tossed in a Monkey with the purchase of the CB1000R.

The red, white and blue one is almost as pretty as the silver one.

10. Skybullet says:

Unpaint #1, Gold a close second. Finally, new designs that look like Motorcycles! Congratulations Honda.

11. turner says:

Very nice. No beaks, nice round headlamps & no robotic sci-fi styling. Like the ones best with the smaller exhaust pipes. No tank seams either.

12. Ralph W. says:

I’d love to have the gold one. It reminds me of early CB750s and the wire wheels look so cool.

13. gpokluda says:

Follow the link and you’ll need to brush up on your French but you will get to feast on the Africa Four which isn’t pictured in the MD article.

14. ApriliaRST says:

I was expecting the usual negative comments, but I like all of them as well. Nice.

15. Dino says:

Well, just call me a monkey.. i like both of them best..

Maybe they should have done a 1000R Grom?

16. gpokluda says:

Love them all. Good job Honda!

17. mickey says:

I must be getting old. Even the Repsol version with Danny’s number on it doesn’t appeal to me, and that’s the only one that stood a chance.