Kawasaki W800 Cafe Style Available in Japan

Many of you have acknowledged Kawasaki’s excellent execution of the retro style in its new W800 parallel-twin motorcycle, which features 773cc and a rated power of 48 bhp.  Modern features like electronic fuel injection and front disc brake combine with an impeccable retro design that is unfortunately unavailable in the U.S. market.

Pictured is the W800 Café Style, which has been announced for the Japanese market.  Don’t hold your breath waiting for this bike to be available in the U.S., but we can admire it from afar.

1. Jim_N says:

No, the squids/kneeslider-wannabees won’t buy it, and the doo-rag Harley types won’t buy it, but how many more HD-type cruisers and Ninja crotch rockets do we need anyway?

If just a portion of the just average riders like myself who claim they lust after this bike would buy it, it would sell very, very well. Just offer it at a decent price- ie, Honda’s excellent selling Shadow 750 line, Triumph’s Bonneville line, etc.

2. Moonbandito says:

Send one to the Huntington Beach Concours d’Elegance. Let the public see it and gauge buyer response in the flesh. The show is Sunday, June 5 in Huntington Beach’s central park – on the library grounds. There’s more to motorcycling in the U.S.A. than big dark cruisers.

3. Alaskan18724 says:

Bring it. Bring it. Bring it. Scratches a whole lot of itches for a guy who was a kid in the 70s and really wanted, more than anything else on earth, a ’75 R90/S in Daytona orange. And who dearly loves British twins. All the good stuff, but starts every time you hit the button, with Kaw build quality. Zombo–not a big talker; I’d actually buy the thing.

4. David Duarte says:

love the look, but put a disc brake on the rear.

• Richard Kuschel says:

A disc on the rear really isn’t necessary.they don’t add that if any much to braking, require more maintenance, cost more.
      When BMW put discs on the rear of their airheads, performance suffered.
      Over 80% of braking is performed with the front wheel anyway.

I have a BMW R90S, and I really like the look of this bike, though I would have it in Black rather than the faux R90S Egg Yolk.

It’s just a little underpowered for my taste.

5. Herb says:

I really liked the W650, bet I would like the 800 even more.

6. MikeD says:

If i had to choose i would rather take the more modern looking, cast aluminium wheeled Bonneville SE.
    I like the engine on the Kawi better tho. Looks like a piece of art and is bigger than Triumph’s Twin [i think ?]
    Then again im not old enough to feel anything for this kind of bike style so i guess all is forgiven, LMAO.

• BATMAN says:

Bigger? The Triumph is a 865 vs. a 773 for the Kaw. I like the SE as well, but am partial to the older style pea-shooter muffler design of the T100. And at 51, I’m plenty old enough to feel something about the styling! :)

• MikeD says:

Yeah…im starting to warm up to the Black Body-Gold Wheels one at the bottom.
        I can see how this wouldn’t get old looking real quick like a…Latest Gixer, for lack of a better choice.

7. Papa Bear says:

Japan no longer wants us as customers. Europe dose. Just look at the way Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki gives the world all the cool stuff, and we get crap and cruisers. Then they cry because their market share is down.
    Buy a Triumph.
    Screw japan!

• MikeD says:

LOL. It does feel that way more times than less.

• Idaho Bruce says:

If you look at sales of similar types of bikes in the past (GB500, W650, SR500) it is clear that the American market does not embrace this kind of motorcycle. Americans who DO like this kind of bike are in the minority. Simple economics dictates that we will not have this style of motorcycle gracing our shores unless the American mindset changes. It is, after all, a business.

8. BATMAN says:

You’re right on Jimbo. The older Bonneville’s looked smaller then they were, very elegant. The newer ones appear kinda chunky, and they diffenately lost something there. (still like them though) But this Kawasaki has that elegant look of the older Bonnies. Maybe Kawasaki can do a pre-order similar to what Yamaha does on some models.

9. G-Man says:

G-Man says:

Man, it brings back memories of my 79 Yam 750 Midnight Special. Just sell me one Black Kaw.

10. jimbo says:

One of the best lookers ever! I’d consider one. It shames all current retros, especially Bonne’s, which look to dense and massive compared to the originals, which looked svelte IIRC).

11. Dennis says:

Wow, that is one very nice looking motorcycle.
    Even if it only comes as the standard version, as long as you get these accessories, it wouldn’t take much to make it look like this one.
    I’m with Randy on this one, bring it on!

12. Tom says:

got sort of an R90-S look to it.

13. sliphorn says:

I noticed on the United Kingdom Kawasaki website, that the bikini cowling and single seat are available as accessories. Nice touches, but it definitely needs lower bars to finish it off. Certainly easy enough.

14. Randy says:

It’s fine, bring it over. If Triumph can sell it’s Scrambler Kawi can sell these.

A new ZX$%@1200XXZR? Who cares.

15. MarkT says:

Would you rather have Kawasaki import the W800 you see here, or a updated premium quality ZRX1200R to the US market…lets start a poll, and maybe we will get what we ask for…My suggestion to Kawasaki is an ‘early order program” like Yamaha uses for questionable sales models.

I think the Z1000 is supposed to fill the order for an “updated, premium-quality ZRX1200R.” I don’t think sticking a square headlight, dual shocks and ’80s-style tail piece on it would float my boat. So here is a vote for the W800.

• Zombo says:

Another vote for the W800 to be offered in limited numbers for special order like the Super Tenere and the CB1000R . That way the dealers don’t end up stuck with a huge inventory of them when the big talkers who say they’d buy the bike turn out to be big bullshitters .

16. Leo says:

I like it, but I like the standard model better. I was just on the Kawasaki UK website re-admiring the standard and now see that the seat and faring will be available soon as accessories. IMO Kawasaki missed the boat on getting this to the US. Wonder if you can order one? My dealer got me the European gearing for my VN-2000. Maybe I can get it part by part and assemble it in my garage…

17. Kjazz says:

….from a Thruxton owner, very cool bike! Bring it on Kawasaki. I think this will be met with better response. The market has matured with respect to “retro” since the initial release of the W650.