Yamaha Goes Old School With 2015 SR400

SRtop#1

Talk about old school. How about a bike being sold as a 2015 model that lacks an electric start button? That’s right, the 2015 Yamaha SR400 is not only a retro looking air-cooled single, you have to kick it to life!  Weighing only 384 pounds, the SR400 is powered by a 399 cc air-cooled single with two valve heads. Yamaha views the SR400 as a potentially popular model, capitalizing on the retro and hipster crazes. We will see about that, but in the meantime you can check out Yamaha’s press release below. When it hits U.S. dealers in June of this year, the SR400 will be priced at $5,990 MSRP. The only available color will be the Liquid Graphite pictured.

***

The SR400 is powered by a 399cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled, SOHC, 2-valve engine that produces a torquey, “thumper” engine character that makes it an absolute blast to ride.

The SR weighs only 384 pounds and has a very narrow frame matched to a low seat height of only 31 inches. This combination makes for a machine that is well suited to both entry riders as well as experienced enthusiasts.

The uniqueness of the SR is confirmed with the fact that it is a kick-start motorcycle. The retro appeal of this bike lies in its lack of a push button starter. As a kick-start only machine it draws attention from old school motorcycle fans and appeals to more modern motorcycle enthusiasts who value the appeal of riding a motorcycle that stands out in the crowd.

The Yamaha SR400 is the perfect motorcycle for both the custom bike builder and the rider who loves personalization. The SR is world renowned for its basis as the perfect platform as a Café or Street Tracker machine. Personalization and customization are limited only by the designer’s imagination.

SRmiddle1

ENGINE

399cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, 2-valve power plant with electronic fuel injection combined with its light-weight makes for a very fun motorcycle to ride.

Easy to start, kick-starter is actuated through a handlebar mounted compression release that makes starting the SR quick and easy with very little effort.

The torquey, single-cylinder engine provides “thumper” appeal and engine character with a feeling of direct power connection to the rear wheel adding to the fun factor of the SR.

Single-cylinder design is easy to maintain and modify.

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION

Slim, narrow, double-cradle steel frame makes for a very compact body design for excellent rider maneuverability.

3.2 gallon fuel tank offers excellent touring range with an estimated 66 miles per gallon depending on the weight of the rider, passenger and any cargo.

Compact 55.5” wheelbase makes for quick, light steering for fun riding when the roads get twisty.

Front disc brake provides optimum stopping power.

Chain final drive provides excellent transfer of power to the rear wheel.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

Outstanding platform for personalization and customization.

AVAILABLE ACCESSORIES

Trail 4.4 in.
Fuel Capacity 3.2 gal
*Est. Fuel Economy 66 mpg
**Wet Weight 384 lb
Color Dark Grey Metallic

1. JM says:

Love the concept but I think it’s a little too expensive as well. Guess Yamaha has to make up for pricing the FZ-09 so aggressively.

2. stringburner says:

Even motocrossers have e-start nowadays. :|

3. Klaus says:

Here in the south of Thailand I see lots of these old 400cc thumpers around, some close to original, some cafe-style, all have loud exhausts. They sound cool but can’t get away from me on a CRF250M. You can pick them up in decent condition for a couple of thousand bucks, then order suspension parts, good tires and whatever you need. I
    t’d be great to see some new 400s around but if I’d live in the US I wouldn’t buy one, not for that price! Not even an E-start? It’s not how difficult or easy they start, it’s that kicking can be so inconvenient these days. Why don’t they have both like the old XS650 had? I could kick it when it was warm but when I was in a hurry I’d press the button.
    Nah, especially now with all the new bikes selling for a good price I don’t think they’ll sell many!

4. skybullet says:

500cc to 650cc Thumpers are so much fun to ride if given a chance. They are light and “flickable” (another word for responsive and easy to turn or even roll around the garage). If you have not experienced one on a twisty road you don’t know what you are missing. The Yamaha SR500, SRX600, Honda GB500 are considered classics for good reason. Modern KTM Duke thumpers and lightly modified Suzuki DR650, Kawasaki KLR650, etc, capture the essence of light great handling bikes that few riders have sampled.
    However, I think the SR400 will reconfirm manufacturers fear that street singles don’t sell. If they took the KTM approach and tried to build the best street single they could and then sell it at a Japanese bike price, singles would be very competitive and pull in first bike customers.

GB500, DR650, R80ST, SMT (all light, great handling bikes)

5. Mr.Mike says:

I like it but the price is too steep. This would be a great platform for selling accessories like Yamaha does with the Star Bolt. I think they should lower the base price and then make their profit on accessories, like a cafe racer kit or a flat tracker kit, or a scrambler kit, or various other high margin custom items. There’s an old saying about razor companies making their profit on the blades rather than the razor itself.

6. RD350 says:

Argh … well after staring at this bike for awhile and despite my earlier bitching, bitterness and general bellicosity, I have to admit that I like it. A lot. Yes, it should be cheaper, lighter, faster, better suspended, etc.

I still cant help liking it. I’m old I guess ..

And I love Yamaha air-cooled singles.

I hope they sell boatloads. Then perhaps we will see some variants like a cafe version (obviously) but also perhaps a XT/TT styled retro scrambler which would be seriously cool!

While I am not going to sell my SRX anytime soon, I am glad there will be a fresh supply of SRs Stateside.

PS .. Honda, good time to re-introduce the GB500.

7. Blackcayman says:

Holy Crap……..found this on another motorcycle site!!!!

***** “It would appear that Yamaha may be planning on adding an entry level sports touring motorcycle to its FJ line-up, using the FZ-09’s three cylinder engine, after the company recently applied to trademark the FJ-09 name in the U.S.”

Open the flood gates and start a new thread!

8. Hair says:

I like it. And I might take a hard look at one when the show up at dealers. Now all Yamaha needs to do is consider making the WR450 a street plated machine.

• Brendan says:

The WR450F is a Street plated machine in Australia and sells in big numbers (for Australia).

9. Cyclemotorist says:

I can’t kick start anything (old fart). So this SR400 is out of the question. Looks nice.

10. Moto504 says:

And the FZ-09 is $7,999???

This Yamaha kind of reminds me of the Honda FT 500 Ascot thumper I had back in the early 80’s, especially the brakes and suspension….

11. paul246 says:

I ride a 650 thumper now and would love to own and ride this Yamaha. I’d actually prefer the carb over FI but what the heck. My wife is thinking about getting back into riding and this would likely be the ticket. I keep my bikes for a long enough period that I wouldn’t worry about price over the long run, but I do know I can count on Yamaha over the long run.

Anyway, great looking bike and plus it would be a cinch to cafe’.

Maybe Yamaha should offer a cafe’ kit for this bike.

12. Big Bobby B says:

“For only 6 grand I can go back to the 1980s? Count me in!” (That must be what Yamaha is hoping everybody thinks)
    They weren’t that hard to start, and fuel injection probabaly makes it easier. I imagine FI gives the 400 the same power as
    the carb 500. But the vibration is bad, that could be an advantage the 400 has, smaller piston= less vibration.might as well make it a 125 to really smooth it out:) I had really had to go over my bike checking for loose fasteners.
    If Honda would make an identical copy of a cb400f supersport(or CB750/1100) I’d buy it. The CB1100 looks to modern for me.

• Guylr says:

The 400 has a shorter stroke and the same diameter piston as the 500 so it revs a little higher and is smoother than the old bike.

13. Provologna says:

This is not hyperbole, I really mean it: I propose the first person to ever see one of these bikes on the road please post such fact here as proof that Yamaha actually sells one. I’m no genius, just an age 60 bike nut who owned well over 50 bikes. I can not imagine who would spend anywhere near MSRP for this bike. I’d pay money to see the chick in the last image start this thing.

Not saying it doesn’t have great potential BTW, but it would take serious money in mods to make me happy with it. Style/design wise it’s pretty cool. Technology/performance (except for FI), not so much.

• jake says:

“I can not imagine who would spend anywhere near MSRP for this bike. I’d pay money to see the chick in the last image start this thing.”

The photo is telling you who it will be. More women go to college than men now, with more of them in just about any professional and grad schools than men, except for those fields requiring any aptitude in math. Yea, chicks still suck at math. So they are/or will make more money than men. And unlike men, they don’t need to spend their disposal income chasing after other girls. God only knows, right after I got out of professional school, I’d spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (without regret by the way) chasing after the babes and all the booze (and other stuff) required to make them delusional and delirious enough to like me long enough for me to take advantage of them. So women, unlike us guys, have the money to burn.

And I’d bet you the entirety of my monthly income that the little babe could do it. I’ve owned basically the same bike. Some bikes can be harder to kick start than others, but these Yammies are as easy as they come. As easy to kickstart as a Puch moped – actually even easier.

• Provologna says:

Oh-oh, looks like I lost another bet! Thanks for your insight.

Deja vu reading your post. I posted many time here that women are the fastest growing demographic for disposable income. Conversely, since 1950, men steadily decline in “Labor Force Participation Rate,” clearly and unequivocally depicted in graph down about 15% here: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-08/demise-american-dream-2-charts The line is almost a vertical cliff since the 2008 depression, and (sorry for such awful news) no change in sight.

The big news in your post is (apparently) that a 115 lb female could easily start such bike…very interesting!

• jake says:

Why is it such awful news? Just less men working. Is being a working stiff all that great? With technology these days and more women wanting to be men, or at least not trusting men to be noble and reliable enough to take care of them, there simply just is no need for every guy to be working.

I figure that’s why Gov. handouts and disability are so easy to get. The Gov. knows this and wants to accommodate those loser guys who want to just quit and not care anymore. Personally, I’m planning applying for every handout I can get so I can drop off the grid myself. Wish me luck. Sorry to say, but I prefer welfare over workfare.

• jake says:

And one of the chief reasons why the Yamaha’s are so easy to kickstart is due to the placement of the kickstarter and the angle of the bike as it leans over on its kickstand. They allow for the rider to easily get the full thrust of the weight of his/her body and the kick onto the kickstarter.

It was just harder to get full thrust onto my old GB but much easier to do so on my SRX. And the kickstarter on this SR looks completely identical to the one on my SRX.

• Don Fraser says:

I put 50,000 miles on my SRX6 and it never took more than a couple kicks to start, but if it hiccups and quits, which big singles can do, at a light, pain in the ass.

• GKS says:

I bought my ’79 SR500 from a woman, and she had no problem kick starting it. Once you get the proper routine down, and follow it, the big Yamaha singles do start fairly easily and EFI should make it even easier.

Actually, Yamaha is risking very little bringing the SR400 to the US market. It has been a fixture in Japan for more than 2 decades, the design and tooling have more that paid for themselves and very few mods are needed for US certification. So for the cost of an EPA certification, maybe some different lights and switchgear, crating, shipping and advertising Yamaha has a model in their line-up in what appears to be a hot catagory. Hopefully the MSRP won’t scare to many buyers away.

That bike looks Ed Zachary like my old SR500 from back in the late 70s/early 80s. Right down to the shape of the tank, seat and engine, kickstarter (vs. electric). The only difference I can see: spoke wheels and 400 cc versus 500. It was a super fun bike in its day but bike tech has come far since then. I think I’d opt for something more modern

15. James says:

Too expensive for what you get for your money.

16. todd says:

People can’t even use a crank to roll down the windows in their cars anymore. How do you think they will manage to start this bike, even if you can crank it over by hand?

• todd says:

This wouldn’t stop me from getting one (or the mint one on craigslist right now for half as much).

My wife is eyeballing this bike since the GB500 needs work now.

• Provologna says:

I second that…a used one for a good price yes. Better yet, a total loss crashed bike for even less, leaving more money for absolutely required mods and custom paint. Enough power to get out of its own way might be a good place to start. How hard is it (as in cost) to get 40hp out of this lug?

• jake says:

Trust me, this will not be a problem. My SRX was the first bike I ever owned. But kickstarting was a breeze for me, even then. Like I said, if every bike could be this easy to kickstart, then I don’t know how electric starting ever got its foot in the door.

• Randy says:

I owned a SRX600 too and that bike was an easy starting bike. The SR500’s were fickle – some days it was first kick, other days it was a workout.

• jake says:

Yea, but SRX’s I believe came after the SR’s, so it could just be that Yamaha refined the kickstarter with the SRX, and any SR’s built afterward, including this one, will be blessed with the same easy kickstarter. I mean why not? It’s basically the same bike, same engine, and same drive train.

• John A. Kuzmenko says:

This SR-400 has a manual decompressor lever up on the handlebar, near the clutch lever, and it has to be squeezed at the right time in order to bump the crankshaft just past TDC.
            It’s not so much the physical effort required to do this, but having somebody willing to learn this technique.

The 1986 SRX-600S street thumper had an XT-550-based engine with an automatic decompressor system.

You can go onto off-road-orientated message boards – this very minute – and read posts about how the 1998 – 2002 YZ-400F/426F, YZ-250F, WR-400F/426F and WR-250F were “a pain in the azz” to start because of having to learn how to use the decompressor lever.

The ironic thing about this is that, when that decomp lever is used properly, the bikes start easily.

• jake says:

Well that sucks. Provo, the bet is officially off the table.

• GKS says:

Actually, the SRX600 engine was quite a bit different than the TT/XT/SR500 engine. The SRX was a redesign incorporating a 4-valve cylinder head, a balance shaft and a two-barrel carburator, not to mention the increased displacement.
            The best trick for easy starting of a SR500 is to keep your hand off of the throttle. Many people seem to automatically twist the throttle everytime they kick.

• mickey says:

Love this tip from Yamaha

Tips & tricks: how to kick
            First you pull the decompression lever (below the clutch lever) and slowly rotate the kickstarter to get the piston in the correct starting position. That position is indicated in the looking-glass in the cylinder. When the indicator is in front of this glass, it is in the correct position. Then you let go of the decompression lever and let the kickstarter go up fully. Take a deep breath. The bike is ready to start! Now give a strong kick. No hesitations here: give it all you got, let the kickstarter go down all the way with a lot of speed…. And beware that you don’t touch the throttle at all before the bike starts and runs! If the bike did not start, or even if you gave only a small push to the kickstarter, then ALWAYS go back to the start of the ritual: get the piston in the correct starting position and only then try to kick it. Never try to kick it when the piston is off the correct position.
            If you do this well, the bike will start at the first kick, surprisingly easy! It’s like a magic trick: On-lookers imagine that it needs a lot of force to start it, but when you know the trick it is so easy.

• jake says:

Don’t know if this is relevant, but to kickstart an SRX, you do need to hold in the clutch lever. If the SR’s require you to hold in a decompressor lever instead, is there that much of a difference? I guess timing could be an issue, cause with the SRX, you just pull in the clutch and then jump on the starter. No requirement to pull it in just at the right time.

Yea, and I really, really do hope that the female demographic takes a big liking to this bike, cause if the SR is a success maybe Yamaha might think about redoing the SRX. If that happens, I probably won’t be able to resist. Even if it meant I had to go and find a job, I think I’d still do it.

A modernized SRX, about the only thing in the world which could get my engines revving again, enough to make me care enough to go and get a freaking a job again.

• Randy says:

Ok OK OK, TIME OUT – this isn’t happening! Gals are not going to flock to this bike!

Why on earth would they? Because Yamaha used a female in their sales lit? A decent dealer would have the sense to steer a newbie, male or female, somewhere else.

All you old timers with your kick start stories, face it, that was then, when we had personal freedom, the glaciers had just melted, Harley Davidson was about to become history. Now is electric start. It’s like thinking girls are going to start smoking big fat cigars or something.

My grown daughter rides a motorcycle once in a while – she doesn’t like kick starting even little dirt bikes. My wife has a Ninja 250, she’d NEVER EVER consider a kick only bike. Girls do girl stuff really well, kick starting isn’t one of those things.

At best a few of these bikes will enter circulation and we old timer SR and SRX guys with our bad knees can play with them. Way I see it they are probably better in every respect to a Royal Enfield, except the RE has electric start (!), for about the same money.

• David Duarte says:

The SR400 has a small window on the right side of the engine, along with a decompression lever, so you can see when the piston is in the proper position to start it. It should be very easy to start.

17. RD350 says:

Yamaha should have imported this SR 5 years ago at the height of the cafe/retro/build movement. A day late and a dollar short.

Also, I wish it looked like the 1970s SRs … same paint, same tank etc. … but with better suspension, lighter weight and more power. That new tank shape is lame imo. Also, young riders don’t know what a kick starter is and wont stand for it. Old guys who know all about kick starters now have bad knees and cant physically do it any longer.

Bottom line … People want retros that “look old but perform new.” Nobody wants an over priced, budget equipped, retro.

The Japanese always get burned when they try to sell single cylinder street bikes to Americans .. nobody buys them. This time however, it will be their own fault.

• J Haynes says:

I agree with RD350, in that it does not look as good as the original. I have had three SR500’s over the years, and have to say they are easy to start. Even without an ACL in the right leg like some of us old dirt guys! That being said, it is right near impossible for someone who is going about it wrong, though. I still wish Yamaha would put their 700cc single, that they already produce, maybe tuned like it is in, say, a 700 Raptor ATV, in some kind of bare bones naked or flattrack style bike. They have proven they can get away from the plastics that are ugly and overdone, by getting a decent look out of their big Raider series cruisers. I know it looks way better than the old Viragos. It seems so hard for the Japanese manufacturers to build something that truly keeps the minimal look that retro and café enthusiasts want. Something that looks right, and has a reasonable price tag, would sell in this category. I love singles, and would get off my wallet in a heartbeat if the right thing came along. Preferably a Yamaha, or Kawasaki, if you would please.

18. John M. says:

5999.00 is a little tough for this bare bones bike. But it gets worse. Dealers will tack on the freight, setup, and the unavoidable tax, title, doc fees, etc. Out the door price will almost certainly be over 7000.00. I agree with Eddie, 3995.00 or less should be the price here. What happened to the good old days when the Japanese were accused of “dumping” bikes here for ridiculously low prices?

Yamaha has always included destination and setup in their MSRP. Has that changed?

• John M. says:

This is an actual cut & paste from the Yamaha dealer website here, where I live. “*Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer vehicle freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.”

• Gentleman Rook says:

Most dealers throw in “prep” because bikes come semi-disassembled in crates, and you have to pay a mechanic to unbox it, assemble it, put in fluids and battery, run a full mfr-designed safety/assembly checklist and then you have to pay another person to clean the cosmoline and packing gunk off it. But really, who in their right mind ever pays full book for anything? Average markup on a motorcycle is $1000 to $1500: if you can’t knock your local dealer down to $300 above their invoice price then you’re not trying hard enough! They’re gonna get you in the F&I office anyway. ;-)

19. Al T says:

Good to see Yamaha make this, although I wish it was a 500. It has the right look, but for $6000 you could check out a whole lot of nice used bikes.

20. azi says:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

21. Randy says:

Check it out – 5.9″ travel in the front – I bet they’re the old XT500 forks!

I bet we don’t get this in Kalifornia because Yamaha would have to actually put some money up to vent the gas tank to a charcoal canister.

22. Randy says:

Over the years I’ve owned three SR500’s. Those were fine at the $600, $400, and $1000 I paid for them. I’m sure someone will buy these but not me!

So OK.

The pumper carb the SR500 came with is gone. GOOD! That oldie was hard to start, I’m sure this will be better.

I kicked my 500’s maybe 10,000 times, I’m sure a new 400 owner can do it, especially if it’s a one or two kick bike.

The wheels look to be better. The SR500 cast wheels were insanely heavy (Asashi Iron Works or something like that).

The hipster riding the bike in the lower picture is the size of a pixie!

I wonder about the frame. The SR500 frame was just the XT500 frame. The bike was a good slider in the dirt.

I think you can still get big pistons and hot cams, throw an extra thou at the engine and it will be able to get out of it’s on way.

23. Provologna says:

I love the 4-11″ male model riding the bike, weight soaking wet about 115 lbs…About fifteen years ago my wife and I kept revisiting a model home at a new development near our older home at that time. I kept visiting, wondering what it was about the place that seemed odd. I finally figured it out. All the furniture was about 80% scale vs. normal furniture, thus making the home seem about 20% larger than it would look with normal furniture.

Closely note the size of models in the next TV add for a passenger car, SUV, etc. They specifically and almost exclusively employ the tiniest, just larger than dwarf models on earth. Look at the real estate surrounding the model sitting in the car, then go sit in one of the same vehicles and do the math. The women are sub 5′, men are usually well below the 5-9 average, unless they employ jocks selling full size pickup trucks.

The marketing industry has it’s own lingo, same as other trades. They call the above marketing scam “puffing” (blowing up a desired quality).

Hey, I like the bike. Looks a little pricey for what it is, but it looks pretty nice, especially the finish. Love the fuel injection.

24. Sam says:

Yamaha, you took a chance with this model but at $6,000, Fail.

It should be $4,990. Please don’t rip off the hipsters, $6K is too high and you know it, so does apparently everyone on this site.

Yamaha where’s my MT-07? That’s the bike that should be $5,990. Recently one of the best-reviewed bikes with many Euro journalists. This is the bike I want!

25. andy says:

I have several singles, the latest one being a KTM Duke 690 which weighs 325lbs, makes 62bhp, has an electric foot but costs $8K (discounted). What are Yamaha thinking with a 400cc single that weighs 28lbs less than their new 850cc FZ-09 triple and comes pretty close to it in price? If they are targeting beginners good luck to them as they will need it without an electric starter on the bike. Beginners are the people most likely to stall a bike in traffic and probably would get very flustered trying to go thru the starting routine with a load of impatient drivers behind them. The weight is the biggest put-off for me, why does it weigh so much and doesn’t even have a starter?

It weighs so much because it is the same bike it was in 1979 plus a few extra punds for emissions equipment.

26. Vincent V. says:

Looks like they took a 1979 SR500, de-stroked, depowered and de-carbed it and added a touch of fugly. But why resurrect it as a basic street model, to be café customed by the new owner? Make it a tasteful factory café lookalike and it may stand a chance of selling. As is, the appeal pretty much stops at the beaches and docks of Japan. All 4 of the people crying for The Return of the SR will be happy, everybody else will give it a casual glance and probably won’t even notice it. I had a nice SR500 last year, had a hard time selling it and took a big loss when it finally found a buyer, and it was only a third of the price of the new model (not to mention taxes and other fees).

27. Eddie says:

Its worth maybe $3995.00….max. Kickstart and maybe 25 hp ??? But at least it has a really cool drum rear brake. I gotta think this is a joke.

28. pilode says:

So I see some of you get to ride DR-this and XL-that for almost free… But funny how in years of casually scanning for any SR500, srx6, or GB500, I come out feeling these three are nearly unobtainable, so an SR400 now might no be so crazy.

29. SmokinRZ says:

I wonder why it is a 400 and not the original 500. The motor sure looks the same as the original. Do you think the chick in the last photo kickstarted it for the photo shoot?

30. Ed Chambers says:

I love it.A beautiful classic standard motorcycle.I hope they sell a ton of them so I can buy one in a few years used at a price I can afford.Not really a complaint but why a 400? wasn’t the original SR a 500? And doesn’t Yamaha have a 650 thumper in their arsenal that would be even more fun.Maybe if these sell they’ll upgrade it later.

• Neil says:

I have a Suzuki TU250 and it’s a great bike. Needs a tad more wheelbase which this has and more power which this has as well. Great little machines and really fine for the riding that a great majority of riders do. Even sport riders would be surprised how much fun it is to push a bike to its limits that is not a technological rocket ship. I ride to and from the train station, the beach, the store, friends and families houses, moto dealerships etc. A simple machine is quite up to the task and enjoyable, not to mention affordable. Look at American roads in the morning. As a whole, we are not riding much. Bikes like this have the capability to change that. Harleys do not flood the commuter byways. Sport bikes are seldom seen. This is the kind of bike you just feel like swinging a leg over and riding. Many of our bikes idle down the road. On my TU I late brake and dive into corners like there is no tomorrow and it handles it just fine and even the wobbles are fine because it takes skill to manage and avoid them. Thanks Yamaha USA! I like it. Thumbs up!

“Harleys do not flood the commuter byways. Sport bikes are seldom seen.”

Cruisers and sport bikes are by far the most common motorcycles I see commuting where I live.

• Ronobob says:

+1 Neil-I put as many miles on my wife’s TU250 as she does. My favorite ever bike to bag up and tour on was her early 90s Ninja 250. Much more fun than the Goldwing 1100 and FJ 1200. My current 2009 Buells [XB9XS and Blast] are the most fun to ride, but at 71 touring isn’t my top priority.
        Anything on 2 wheels can be fun-under 500 lbs suites me best.

31. RD350 says:

Cool that the SR has finally returned. I hope it launches 1000s of cafe projects. But I have to agree with old Matt. This bike should have evolved over 30 years .. particularly in the suspension and weight departments.

How much extra could it cost to put an old, 41mm R6 right side up fork on this bike?

32. Tim Kness says:

Maybe you and skybullet can start a blog for the “Unsatisfied With the Current State of the Motorcycle Industry”…

33. skybullet says:

Too bad they did not send us the SR500, it would cost about the same and the extra power would help. Or…. you could just pick up a used DR650 with more power, better suspension, electric leg, etc.. for much less $$. Slide the fork tubes up an inch or so, the rear shock has a lowering link, put on street tires and all you are giving up is the classic look for an all round better bike.

34. powermad says:

I like how it looks but it would be hard for me to justify $6k for it.

35. Larry kahn says:

Re: space for bikes, I have eight, four in the house. There’s always someplace to put a motorcycle. It helps to have no wife.

• MarkyMark says:

There’s always someplace to put a motorcycle. It helps to have no wife.

Isn’t THAT the truth! Yeah, I have four scooters, and I’m considering a bike or two to add to my fleet. Couldn’t do that if I had a wife…

36. Erik says:

5 bikes packed in a two car garage with the wife’s car in there as well. Its a tight fit but you get creative! Having wheel chock stands or using the centerstands to keep them completely upright certainly helps!

37. Kent says:

I bought my 1980 SR500 brand new in 1984! $1200. I’m pretty sure the dealer lost money on that one. Thirty years later, 32,000 miles and still a one-kick ride! I’ve always owned other street bikes and dirt bikes and I’ve loved them all, but if there is a house fire, the SR is the first motorcycle I’ll battle through the flames to save!

38. NORKA says:

I am amazed at number of commenters who claim to have multiple bikes. I have had 19 bikes over the years, but only once had two at same time and even then rode the 750 most of the time. Where do you keep them, I have trouble getting space for just my Concours?

• bikerrandy says:

I got a 3 car garage and the car, PU stay outside. I have 8 bikes/scooters. It helps to have an understanding wife.

• Fred M. says:

I’ve got a 6′ x 10′ enclosed trailer with two Buells in it — one of the best craigslist purchases I’ve ever made. It keeps the bikes out of view of thieves and protects them from the elements (sun, snow, rain, air pollution, and humidity). It even gives me a place to work on them in the winter (pull one out, put on a space heater, and close the door.

On the carport, I’ve got a BMW police bike, Suzuki dual sport, and a Genuine Stella Scooter (Vespa clone). That involves a lot of high-end locks and a security camera.

• mickey says:

I have a two car garage with my truck and 5 motorcycles in it right now (I just traded in two bikes waiting for a new one to come in.) It does take some creative moving around to get one of the back ones out for a ride, with the truck in there, but with 3 facing across the garage and 2 facing lengthwise by the door, if I pull out the truck any one will come out rather easily. The trick is not to have a lot of other crap in the garage. I drive past some garages that have so much crP in them people have to park their cars outside. No room for them inside.

• John says:

I have 7 motorcycles. The reason I do t have 10 is I can’t afford them right now.

Motocross, enduros, sport bike, new Concours, vintage bike and a mini bike. Half I bought new in the last 5 years

I ask you, how can you only have ONE motorcycle? Isnt that boring to ride only one style of bike.

I have had more than one bike at once, and what I always find is that the second bike almost always ends up collecting dust. I tend to prefer to ride one significantly over the other. So now I just keep it to one street legal bike and one dirt bike.

• Jon says:

For a few years I had 3 motorcycles. First, it was a 2005 KLR650, a 2007 XT225 Yamaha, and a 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet. Later, I traded the KLR650 for a used 2006 XL883. Sold all of them when we moved to Hawaii. Been riding scooters since the move, but will be buying another motorcycle in mid-November. The SR400 is on my short list.

39. old Matt says:

Hmmm, this bike wouldn’t make sense to me if I was awakening from a coma after 25 years.I have an 86 xl600 Honda I bought 15 years ago used for 1000$. It has long travel suspension, a radial 4 valve head and an engine that is 50 % larger that makes well more than 50 % more power than this pathetic lump. Yet the 28 year old Honda weighs 295.

As someone who lived through (barely) racing 70’s bikes, let me tell you, that was not the golden age. 80’s bikes with real suspension are awesome. This 70’s barge has 70’s suspension, an extra 90 lbs., with the “feature” of kick start only. The one throw back to the 70’s that it should have , it doesn’t. A carburetor. On a single you can just loosen the hose clamps and turn the carb sideways to remove the float bowl and clean the jets.

If it had a carb, an electric start with the kicker, and weighed 100 lbs less, and yeah, suspension from the 80’s, not the 70’s, we could talk.