Indian Unveils 2015 Scout at Sturgis

080214top-i

080214side1

The new Indian Scout will be tested by MD Editor Dirck Edge tomorrow in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It is a 69 cubic inch (1133 cc) liquid cooled V-twin with belt drive and a six speed transmission.

Indian is claiming 100 hp and 72 foot/pounds of torque with a wet weight of 538 pounds (no fuel).

Indian interestingly chose to give the new Scout 16″ wheels that are relatively narrow, including a 150 section rear and a 130 section front. The Scout has 298 mm disc brakes front and rear, with a two piston caliper in front and a single piston caliper in the rear. Fuel capacity is 3.3 gallons.

Indian Scout pricing starts at $10,999 and four colors will be available at launch, including Red, Thunder Black, Silver Smoke and Black Smoke. Indian has all of the details on its web site. Stay tuned for our first ride report.

Here’s the complete press release from Indian:

Sturgis, S.D. — August 2, 2014 — Indian Motorcycle®, America’s first motorcycle company, today announces the launch of the 2015 Indian Scout™, a contemporary yet classic interpretation of one of motorcycling’s most famous and coveted bikes. With a starting US MSRP of $10,999 and a DNA that will appeal to riders of multiple skill sets and abilities, the new Indian Scout was unveiled Saturday night to a gathering of press, VIPs and celebrities at the 2014 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Rally attendees are encouraged to be among the first to test ride the 2015 Indian Scout at the Indian Motorcycle Demo Experience on I-90 @ Exit 30 in Sturgis, South Dakota, which runs through Saturday, August 9.

2015 Indian Scout

Weighing in at a wet weight of 558 pounds – lightest in its class – the 2015 Indian Scout was derived from a clean sheet design, creating a potent and precise middle-weight cruiser that carries forward the spirit of innovation that made it one of the most storied bikes of all time. Boasting advanced technologies, design and engineering innovations, it offers a breakthrough chassis design featuring a lightweight and rigid cast aluminum frame coupled with a low 25.3-inch seat height for exceptional comfort, balance and maneuverability. Powered by an all-new and proprietary liquid-cooled, 69 cubic inch, 100 HP V-twin engine, the 2015 Indian Scout is powerful yet approachable. Its low seat height, low center of gravity, maneuverability and lightweight and compact design makes the Scout appealing to riders of all sizes and experience levels while the high horsepower and superior handling make it a bike that will thrill even the most experienced riders.

This is the first truly new Indian Scout in more than 70 years and marks the return of the legendary bikes that conquered the infamous “Wall of Death” and carried the legendary “Indian Wrecking Crew” motorcycle race team to multiple victories. Technology and designs derived from Scout models played a significant role for Allied Forces in World War II and a 1920 Indian Scout earned the title of the “world’s fastest Indian” as proven by Burt Munro in 1967.

“Over the course of 30 years of countless innovations, racing wins, world records and industry firsts, the Scout has earned its reputation as a versatile, multifaceted bike that appeals to just about every rider and every riding style, with superior handling, balance, performance and craftsmanship,” said Steve Menneto, VP of Motorcycles for Polaris Industries. “Our designers and engineers have taken that heritage and those characteristics and fused it into the 2015 Indian Scout, and we think just about everyone who rides this incredible bike is going to feel like it was built just for them.”

Superior Design Details for Unmatched Beauty and Control

The new Scout was designed from the ground up for a superb balance of comfort and control, delivering a superior riding performance for both newer and experienced riders. It offers:

- The look of a classic “rigid triangle” design that is synonymous with original Scouts, coupled with a set of premium coil over monotube rear shocks that deliver exceptional ride, handling and comfort

- A 25.3 inch seat height, 61.5 inch wheelbase and 5.3 inch ground clearance, delivering a confidence-inspiring 31 degrees of lean angle and low center of gravity, along with exceptional high and low speed maneuverability

- A premium, genuine tan leather solo bucket seat, making the 2015 Indian Scout pure Indian and the only brand to offer this seating as standard

A Reimagined Engine for Power and Precision

The 2015 Indian Scout is powered by an all-new, in-house designed and proprietary 69 cubic inch V-twin engine that combines all the design, power and reliability elements that made the original Scouts unbeatable and mates it with state-of-the-art components and modern technologies. Smooth, flawless power throughout the power band featuring:

- Liquid-cooled design for 100 HP of pure power, along with enhanced durability and reliability

- Out of respect for the legendary Scouts of the 1920s, 30s and 40s, the 2015 Scout carries forward classic engine design cues with purposeful styling that honors both form and function

- Closed loop fuel injection and drive-by-wire throttle actuation mated to a 6-speed overdrive transmission for peak torque of 72 ft./lbs. of torque at 5900 RPM

Pricing & Availability

The 2015 Indian Scout is available for immediate ordering at a starting US MSRP of $10,999 with expected delivery in dealerships across North American in late 2014. Pre-orders may be placed on www.IndianMotorcycle.com; visit “Scout’s First Run” to learn more. It is available in Thunder Black, Indian Motorcycle Red, Silver Smoke (matte finish) and Thunder Black Smoke (matte finish).

Sturgis Rally attendees are encouraged to experience the 2015 Indian Scout at the Indian Motorcycle exhibit at 3rd & Lazelle St., or by taking a demo ride at the Indian Motorcycle Demo Experience, I-90 @ Exit 30. Visit the Indian Motorcycle Sturgis event page for details.

080214middle1

1. gary ritts says:

New world order- Indian #1, Harley #0

• Gronde says:

Do you really think this little bike with an industrial look to it is going to topple Harley? It’s a nice design, but not everyone is going gaga over it. I walked into the local Indian dealer on Saturday and I was the only one looking at bikes. A sleepy sales lady appeared from a back room to greet us. No Scouts were in there, yet, but the big Chiefs had no interested buyers. We then rode to the Harley dealer and found a lot of customers gathered around the bikes and all the sales people were busy with customers. Because Indian is new and different it is going to generate some interest. I would hold off predicting the demise of Harley just yet.

• Hyperbeat says:

So when you were at the harley dealership how many used indian motorcycles did they have for sale? My point is one of my local indian dealerships have 2 2014 streetglides for sale and 1 2013 ultra classic for sale as we’ll. 2 of them were traded in for indian chieftains.

I am not saying one brand is better than other – because I really don’t know. I actually think Indian will push Harley to deliver a better product, and so I think they are good for each other

2. cthuskie says:

I am in love with the looks of this Indian Scout.
    A big part of me wants to order one today .
    But……………
    after 45 years of riding :
    dirtbikes
    Bonnevilles
    CB750’s
    Nighthawks
    ZRX1200’s
    and the likes
    I just CANNOT embrace the concept of RIDING a bike with your feet so far out forward.
    Wish I could get past that , as I really,really like this Scout’s looks.

3. mickey says:

Another review recorded 45.1 mpg in mixed riding ( for those interested)

4. Jim Cherry says:

I just hope it will shift like my Honda CB-1100. If this Indian can come even close to my Honda, I will buy one. Every thing else is fine. It would be nice if the sidestand had a switch that would kill the engine if the sidestand were left down. And after I spend about $500.00 on a custom seat, I will be fine! Go Indian!!!

5. Ron says:

They should have put the Thunder Stroke engine in it.

• todd says:

No way. MotorcycleUSA dynoed it at only 73 hp. I imagine its quite a bit heavier and taller too. Nope, this motor’s extra power and the bike’s lower weight means it will out accelerate all those bigger cruisers. Being around 100 pounds lighter than a V-Rod with only 15-25 less hp means it’ll be snapping at its heels too.

6. richard says:

Whats with the cylinders…..weird

7. John says:

It’s pretty, but a Scout could just as easily been a shaft drive upright roadster to compete with BMW or Moto Guzzi, rather than yet another cruiser. I guess it’s just easier to sell pretty than useful.

8. mickey says:

You know they show an optional rear passenger seat, but I don’t see any rear passenger footpegs, or a convenient place to mount them?

9. dave says:

I think it is kind of ugly. The tank is too small for practical applications and the seat is to low to move the footpegs back where I would want them. That being said it is way nicer than anything the motor company has produced and it is going to makes a Sportster look pathetic performance wise.

10. Austin ZZR 1200 says:

Are people really b*tching about the gas tank size? Really?

11. Adventure Seeker says:

Someone was listening! HD Sportster 1200 is running too hot for Ca. Then Polaris delivers a 100hp cooled cruiser. HD listen next time I talk.

12. Double-O G says:

What happened to the test ride on Sunday? Canceled?

13. Tank says:

Does anybody know if these are hydraulic valves?

That would be a pleasant surprise, but I find hydraulic tappets to be a very unlikely addition with a 9,000 rpm redline. Honda is the only motorcycle manufacturer that I know of that ever put hydraulic valves in something that spins that fast. Here is hoping that Indian is the second.

14. beasty says:

There’s a large pic out there somewhere and shows the young lady in profile riding the bike.She’s kinda short and looks a little cramped on that seat. I think the bike is great, but the more I look at that seat, the more I don’t like it. Kinda reminds me of the seat on a Yamaha 650 Custom. Lotta padding at the rear, narrow nose and not enough actual seating area. I think taller folks are gonna wanna sit on the rear fender.

15. Dennis says:

When I first saw this, I was not impressed at all. While a great looking bike, I figured it was just another cruiser.
    Until I started really reading the specs and accessories options.
    Liquid cooling? 100 hp? Aluminum frame and under 600 .lbs?
    Wow.
    And the price isn’t bad at all considering what you are getting.
    I just sold my sport/muscle cruiser, a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior, and wasn’t really interested in any cruisers anymore(even if that one wasn’t a typical cruiser).
    This changes things a lot.
    Some of those who have commented on the seating position should look to see the options they have for this bike.
    You can get controls that move out farther or closer, as well as several seats and bars to change the riding position.
    This looks very forward thinking to me on Indians/Polaris’s part.
    As someone else said, I hope they sell a boat load of these things.
    I, for one, am going to test ride one when it’s available.
    And I want one in Indian Red, please.

16. mickey says:

A lot of us wish this were more standard/racing heritage Scout, but the truth is, they will sell many more of this model than they would the model a lot of us wish it was.

Very true. I am one who had hoped for a “sporty” Scout. Still, I must admit they nailed the design on this one. I hope they sell a boatload of these things.

17. todd says:

100hp and less than 600 lb. this thing will be fast (for a cruiser). Not quite catching up to 600cc sport bike fast but blow the Sportsters into the weeds fast.

Would be really interested to see a standard, non-cruiser version. Isn’t that what the Scout is supposed to be?

18. Neil says:

Great looking machine. Very elemental. Nice riding position without being the 1st Gen VROD. LoL! The motor looks the business. Water cooled. Overhead cams. A real seat! Ya think! Cool pipes. Nice lay down shocks. Did they call me in my sleep or something?! I’ve been saying this all about the Sportster for years! If you want more, they have the bigger Chiefs. Look at the size of the brake discs. It’ll stop too! Cool fenders. I want one. I think the black on their web site looks killer.

19. Bob says:

Without a doubt the best looking cruiser available. Kudos to Indian. I have owned one HD, a 1976 AMF Sportster. My dreams or reliving my mis-spent youth by getting another Sportster just died in dust cloud left by the new Scout.

20. cthuskie says:

beautiful bike , just wish it had the mid-mount , peg/controls option

• Yoyodyne says:

It does.

• cthuskie says:

@ Yoyodyne
        sorry…….but every photo I have seen shows foot-forward pegs/controls .
        even the TEST REVIEW that went online here the day after this article
        mentions foot-forward controls.
        where exactly are you seeing an Indian Scout pic with mid-mount
        pegs/controls ?

• mickey says:

Hes saying there are options. The op wished for options. Maybe not the option the OP was looking for however

• richard says:

Harley have nothing to worry about

21. Dave P says:

Probably the nicest looking cruiser out there and the price is right. Love the new engine, would definitly buy one if I was a midget (I’m pushing 6′ tall w/long legs).. Other problem is the nearest dealer is 2 states away.. Have a victory dealer within a short distance but really digging the new Indians though.. Hopefully they will expand their dealer network..

22. Stacius says:

WOW. I was expecting a Scout, but this exceeds my expectations.
    I’m sure folks will find something to nitpick, but I think they’ll sell these by the boatload.
    If I hadn’t just gotten a new bike, I’d be really tempted to pick one up!

Bravo, Indian!

23. KenHoward says:

Looking at Indian’s website photos with actual riders, the peg positioning doesn’t look too far forward, as some have guessed. I’ve been hoping Indian would debut a Sportster rival, and they certainly have. ‘Hope the new engine uses hydraulic valves. Looking at the additional photos, I think I’d gladly forfeit generous fuel capacity for that beautiful tank (with a couple extra quarts of gas in the saddlebags, when necessary).

24. stinkywheels says:

Too bad they didn’t go 17” wheels so the tire choices would be more numerous. It’s good to see some lighter, freer revving engines come to this genre. I own a bunch of bikes buy my cruiser (Harley) is the least favorite. These things just feel and ride industrial, this might be a step in the right direction. Maybe not industrial, more 67 Caddy Eldorado.

25. motowarrior says:

How many V-Rods would H-D have sold if it was styled like this?!

26. Hair says:

I entered the sweepstakes. :) So I must like it.

If this is the Indian starter bike then we might as well get the kiddos started off on the right foot. i.e. water cooled.

27. Jeremy in TX says:

Funny how people rarely ever mention “Indian” when referring to Indian motorcycles, especially since Polaris acquired the rights to Indian for the history and prestige of that brand. It is always “Polaris”.

Oh, and I LOVE this Polaris Scout. Stunning, and the more I look at it, the more I appreciate it. I haven’t seen such an appealing design arise from mass production in a long time, certainly never a cruiser. I don’t think the bike could be more aesthetically perfect to my eye. It looks completely modern and yet so retro-Scout at the same time. Love it.

I have always said I would never buy a cruiser because they do not fit my style of riding at all, but right now, I am trying to come up with a good rationalization to put one in the garage. I really do want one and for no good reason other than I think it is beautiful.

• Hot Dog says:

Easy fella, take a deep breath and think about implications of your actions. It’s sorta like seeing a beautiful woman across the bar, having your eyes meet and suddenly your mesmerized. You take her home and go for a spin and then the trouble starts. You’ll suddenly stop riding your other bikes, they’ll sense there’s another and then gaskets will start leaking, batteries fail, mysterious flats…the list goes on and on. It is beautiful.

28. mpolans says:

Is still like to see them do a sport bike and a standard. Indian didn’t make it’s name by leisurely cruising.

29. Kagato says:

I love the look of the engine–I think Burt would approve

30. Jamo says:

Pretty nice bike. It’s the best looking ride Polaris has come up with. 100 hp is a lot.

31. takehikes says:

driving a stake through the MOCo’s heart with this one…..price is right and you whiners about the fuel tank….check historical size of tanks OK? Only recent history has given us these bulbous 5 gallon abortions. Think of the Bonneville tank and Sporty tank.. perfect tank look and no where near 5 gallons.

• Kagato says:

yah, we need to know the mpg of this scoot before we diss the tank size–if it gets 60 mpg that’s 180 miles–about the same as my Ninja 500.

• bikerrandy says:

Dream on Kagato. Dirck won’t be giving a mpg report, just a 1st ride report.

• Snake says:

It *can’t* give 60 mpg, it is a 1300 with 100HP and 72 lb-ft of torque. Power is commensurate with fuel consumption – you can’t get power without the equivalent level of fuel used.

We’ll be fortunate to have high 40’s for gas mileage, I bet mid to low-40’s more average. The Honda 750, for example, gets 55 MPH and here is a bike with almost twice the displacement and definitely twice the power – 60 mpg just ain’t gonna happen.

• zuki says:

I regularly got 60 mpg+ with my 2006 Buell XB12Ss (1203cc), and never dropped below 52 mpg even when riding aggressively. If I remember right they were EPA highway rated at 65 mpg. It’s very possible with the right gearing and power to spare.

• zuki says:

Forgot to mention… Buell XB12 was rated at 103 hp.

I usually averaged around 42 – 44 mpg on my ’06 Ulysses depending on the driving mix. High-thirties if I was really wringing its neck. Near 50 on a relatively slow and lonely road. 60 mpg on an XB is way outside the norm.

• zuki says:

Could be your Ulysses was outside the norm? My XB9S was about the same as my XB12Ss.

I was pretty active with Buell groups, and I’d say my mileage was typical, a bit on the low side perhaps. Most guys got mid-40’s. Some of the more gentle-handed guys get closer to 50 on average unless they rode ’08+ bikes (all of which seemed to do low 40’s no matter what.) 60mpg is impressive.

• mickey says:

I get 55 mpg out of my CB1100 although it has 12 less horsepower than this, and 50 mpg on my ST 1300 with 125 hp…both have to feed 4 throttle bodies with fuel injection. Funny I only get 65 mpg out of my 400 Majesty scooter with a single cylinder and 29 or something horsepower.

• Blackcayman says:

1133cc

32. Peter G says:

As one of the previous comments said ” this bike is attracting so much attention from non- cruiser riders, it must be good”.
    I can’t agree more, I have NEVER been interested in cruisers, but this Indian looks so good in silver smoke that I could easily be persuaded to buy one. Modify the pegs and I’m sold on it!

• arbuz says:

It is true. another ‘non-cruiser’ person here, looking for an excuse to get this thing. Love the looks. I am 42, not sure what group I belong to (started with SV 650). But this even beats Motto Guzzi in looks department

33. gah says:

Does it look like the front fender is on backwards? If its a jap. motor it will be bulletproof. If they make the trans to go snick and not thunk, I’m in.

34. Kagato says:

I hope they have a peg/control option for the non-gyno crowd. Bike may be too low for that though

• Auphliam says:

The Pre-Order feature on the web site shows options for both Extended and Reduced Reach controls (pegs, bars, seats)

re: “The new Indian Scout will be tested by MD Editor Dirck Edge tomorrow in the Black Hills of South Dakota”

BRING IT…!

36. David Duarte says:

great looking bike, but I’d want a bigger gas tank too.

37. Terpinator says:

I just checked the Indian website and they offer “reduced reach controls,” defined as:

“Reduced Reach Seat, controls, and handlebars provide comfortable seating and customized ergonomics for shorter riders and riders who would feel more comfortable and confident when seated closer to the foot pegs and lower controls.”

So Indian might have really gotten this right by offering something usually unheard of in motorcycles. Actual options.

38. ABQ says:

As I sat drooling over the scout, my first thought was I may need a sugar daddy/momma to get one. But, no, the price is right.
    Then I saw the fuel tank. ONLY 3.3 gallons. Do they not want us to ride their bike any distance? Come ON! Give me 5 gallons or go home. Now I have to think that it is a bar hopping poser bike designed around style rather than ride.

39. Terpinator says:

That is one nice looking motorcycle. I’ve never really considered a cruiser before, but will give this one a serious look. Especially at the $11K price point. That is more like it Indian! Agreeing with mg3, my one concern is the forward placement of of the pegs/break/shifter. I would choose a more traditional under seat placement. IMO, it would better match the spirit of this motorcycle.

40. Matt Gustafson says:

I have to give Polaris a ton of credit for not just making another air cooled twin cruiser. A few rules may have been broken here, but who really cares when the final product appears to be this good. My hope for the near future is to see either Indian or Victory to branch out and get into a few other markets. Why not an adventure bike? Polaris certainly has the off road chops to blend that with what they have learned for the street. How about a honest to God bare knuckles street fighter? Give the engineers a challenge and let them roll with it. Cruisers may be a huge market, but its not the only market.

41. mg3 says:

Man, this company has thrown together some incredible products in a very short time. This is beautiful motorcycle. I am a little disappointed on the placement of the pegs as they look so far forward, (this sounds like it might be an actual ‘rider’s bike) but that might be fixable with a kit. The weight sounds reasonable at least, and the design and detail are just perfect,IMHO. Nice job Indian! I think this will be their best selling bike.

42. Scotty says:

It would make a great 3rd bike for me after a dirt bike and my current Guzzi 750 naked tourer. I think the styling is spot on. Lets face it, if non-cruiser people are talking about it…its going to be a hit.

43. Fastship says:

I pronounce this one fine motorcycle!

One immediate expression of total disrespect by the fine company that is Indian/Polaris for us British is the asking price – $10,900 in the US or 70% extra here in the UK at £10,399.

44. bikerrandy says:

What I don’t understand is why so much power for a bike that isn’t made for high speed riding?

• steemin says:

cos cruising is best when you don’t have to rev the crap out of it – this is a sweet bike

visually (to my eyes anyway) so many styling cues on this bike that I would characterize as “perfect”. viewed as a whole, my radar’s picking up a sorta “steam punk” vibe too.

engine style, perfect.
    tank shape, perfect.
    side shocks, perfect.
    exhaust routing, perfect.
    fender shape, perfect.
    wheel design, perfect.

while not a styling cue, you can tack price point on to the end of that list. that’s some kind of a record innit…?

• clasqm says:

My first thought was “dieselpunk” rather than steampunk. Either way, it is remarkable that they broke so many rules – no fake fins, no fake hardtail – and still came out with something that looks so retro.

• Blackcayman says:

+1 Norm

The styling on this Scout moves the ball forward in a meaningful way (for cruisers). Its got enough classical cues mixed in to make it attractive to the traditional crowd. The Steam-Punk or Diesel-Punk aspects move this desgin way ahead of anything else in that market.

The performance of the motor also looks to set the rest of the cruiser market on its heals… Bring on the review!

That motor could easily power a classic standard!